Ubuntu CarPC

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Ubuntu CarPC

Unread postby mysterd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:52 pm

Hello Meveric

I think I didn't give enough precision in my post...

The goal of achieving this connection is to build a car infotainment system...
I already succeded in connecting the phone and dial calls from my touch screen connected to the odroid.
Everything is done through bluetooth connection, the Odroid exposing its "hands free profile". The phone should be already streaming the in call sound, but for some reason, I haven't been able to correctly set up pulseaudio / ofono and no sound is being streamed...

On a side note, I was also able to stream music through the A2DP protocol to the odroid, it's working like a charm.

I hope my request is a bit clearer now. Of course, you are free to think this use case isn't interesting at all, but I have seen many "car pc" projects built around the C2 and thought this feature would be nice to have.

Anyway... I always appreciate your help and the very helpful support you provide us on this forum.
mysterd

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Article suggestions

Unread postby robroy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:55 am

mysterd wrote:Everything is done through bluetooth connection, the Odroid exposing its "hands free profile". The phone should be already streaming the in call sound, but for some reason, I haven't been able to correctly set up pulseaudio / ofono and no sound is being streamed...

Have you tried the steps listed in the article at http://magazine.odroid.com/wp-content/u ... df#page=22?
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby mysterd » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:05 am

Hello Rob Roy !

Actually, I'm running the Odroid with Ubuntu Mate, not Android.
Anyway, streaming A2DP sound is perfectly working even under Linux. I've been able to stream music without any problem.
What I'm trying to do is to forward "phone call audio" to the Odroid. Such a thing cannot be done with A2DP, but must use HFP (HandsFree Profile) or HSP (HeadSet Profile).
I'm able to connect using HFP (I can even control the phone for dialling) but the sound is not switched to bluetooth streaming, it keeps using the phone's internal speaker...

Thanks for pointing the article anyway.
mysterd

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:38 am

Wow - a ubuntu car pc! That's a breath of fresh air...
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby mysterd » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:54 pm

It's using MPD as an audio back end actually...

I wanted to be able to code most of the front end myself, using Kivy and other libraries.
I thought Android would be too "closed" for that...
Maybe I'm wrong.
mysterd

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:57 pm

What are you doing for gps/navigation?
mad_ady

Unread postby mysterd » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:10 pm

That's my main problem.

The only available tool (still in development) seems to be Navit. It hasn't many features though, and doesn't support many map types...
So I'm even considering using Wine and software like IGo on top of it... Not a very smart solution, but it seems that nav software on Linux is not a priority for devs :)
mysterd

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Wine won't work... Wine Is Not an Emulator.

It does not emulate an x86 PC, if you install Wine under ARM64 you can only run ARM64 based Windows programs. How many arm64 Windows Programs do you have?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby mysterd » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:39 pm

I have seen articles in Odroid Magazine about Exagear desktop which provides an ARM to x86 layer. I thought it could be applied to the C2...
mysterd

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:41 pm

Exagear + wine should work, but I'd look into openstreetmaps + gps for offline nav or google maps in-browser if it supports gps location.
mad_ady

Unread postby mysterd » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:43 pm

Yes openstreetmaps provides the maps, but navigation / routing software must be found elsewhere...
mysterd

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 pm

See if this helps, though it doesn't seem to support routing: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gosm
mad_ady

Re: Ubuntu CarPC

Unread postby mysterd » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:04 am

Hello,

For information, discussion about the GPS software can be followed here : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=25064.

This thread may be used for general "Ubuntu CarPC" discussion, if it's ok with you all :)
mysterd

Unread postby mysterd » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:08 am

Yes it seems to only enable map viewing, but no "turn by turn navigation"...

mad_ady wrote:See if this helps, though it doesn't seem to support routing: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gosm
mysterd

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:23 am

What about running Android from within Ubuntu just for Google Maps?

There is a project for the C1 that can do this, I forget what it's called. Perhaps it can be adopted to the C2.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 pm

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=14374. Not sure how easy it would to be ported to c2. Doesn't seem completely opensource
mad_ady

Unread postby mysterd » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Really interesting...
Definitely something to follow. Thanks.
mysterd

Unread postby dchang0 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:24 am

mysterd wrote:Actually, I'm running the Odroid with Ubuntu Mate, not Android.
Anyway, streaming A2DP sound is perfectly working even under Linux. I've been able to stream music without any problem.
What I'm trying to do is to forward "phone call audio" to the Odroid. Such a thing cannot be done with A2DP, but must use HFP (HandsFree Profile) or HSP (HeadSet Profile).
I'm able to connect using HFP (I can even control the phone for dialling) but the sound is not switched to bluetooth streaming, it keeps using the phone's internal speaker...

I figured this out for an iPhone and ODROID XU4 running Ubuntu MATE w/ 4.9 kernel and submitted it as an article for ODROID Magazine. Hopefully it will be selected for publication soon. (It should work for a C2 with Android phones too; there's no reason to believe it won't.)

It's just the "baseline" functionality you describe. Someone else asked for an app on the ODROID that controls the phone (can hang up calls, etc). That would require much more additional work using oFono to control the phone.
dchang0

ODROIDs: C1+, XU4Q

Return to Projects