My Odroid-C2 Double Din Car Head Unit

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: My Odroid-C2 Double Din Car Head Unit

Unread postby rooted » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:54 am

Konami wrote:Ordered some removal keys for my stereo,

Did a fitting test and all looks good, I just need this facia adapter as the stock stereo is a unique size, but it's built for my car.

Also I found a coax adapter for the R820T2 or any similar dongle which can be panel mounted on the back of my stereo!

Sweet all around. I can't wait to see how this turns out, I have the factory double din stereo from my car I could gut and thought about doing this very project with an XU3 I have sitting around doing nothing.

Don't know what I would do with the expensive pioneer unit I put in my car a few months ago. I guess I could give it to my son.
rooted

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby sonicxtacy02 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:32 am

I have the same splitter, and a flat HDMI cable such as the one shown in your pics. Have you tested both of those components together? The flat HDMI that I have doesnt work very well with the splitter. I do own an XU4 rather than a C2 for what its worth.

As far as your amp, I have this, have had it for years. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bybyte-TDA7850 ... B005TX3QEK Looks like you could find space in your case to mount it. Nice clean sound, and as long as you dont plan on powering a subwoofer with it its good enough for the job.
sonicxtacy02

ODROIDs: X-2

Unread postby rooted » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 am

sonicxtacy02 wrote:As far as your amp, I have this, have had it for years. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bybyte-TDA7850 ... B005TX3QEK Looks like you could find space in your case to mount it. Nice clean sound, and as long as you dont plan on powering a subwoofer with it its good enough for the job.

That is a nice little amp, I don't believe it's really 200w but even half that power is plenty to drive 4 small car speakers.

*edit*
According to the sheet it is indeed 50x4 @ 2ohm.

■ High output power capability:
– 4 x 50 W/4  max.
– 4 x 30 W/4  @ 14.4 V, 1 kHz, 10 %
– 4 x 80 W/2  max.
– 4 x 55 W/2  @ 14.4V, 1 kHz, 10 %
Last edited by rooted on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Konami » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:49 am

sonicxtacy02 wrote:I have the same splitter, and a flat HDMI cable such as the one shown in your pics. Have you tested both of those components together? The flat HDMI that I have doesnt work very well with the splitter. I do own an XU4 rather than a C2 for what its worth.

As far as your amp, I have this, have had it for years. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bybyte-TDA7850 ... B005TX3QEK Looks like you could find space in your case to mount it. Nice clean sound, and as long as you dont plan on powering a subwoofer with it its good enough for the job.

Yeah fully tested and is reliable, I've had it running on my tv with the c2 for watching movies before I decided on this project, it's been tested on the vu7+ properly too and is all fine..

That looks like a nice little amp, would be quite nice and would fit in the cage,

This is the one I was originally looking at but I have a few options now I just need to sit down and compare them properly

Thanks for the suggestion i will consider it once my units complete up to the stage I need it :)

Oh and I am not planning on a subwoofer, I'm more interested in modular capability and just a decent audio output with this project..

My car speakers have enough low end and are pretty decent as standard, I have had sub woofers in the past and they are nice but I don't think so this time!
Konami

ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby Konami » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:50 am

rooted wrote:
Sweet all around. I can't wait to see how this turns out, I have the factory double din stereo from my car I could gut and thought about doing this very project with an XU3 I have sitting around doing nothing.

Don't know what I would do with the expensive pioneer unit I put in my car a few months ago. I guess I could give it to my son.

Thanks by the way, you have helped me out a lot, if I was to do this again I'd have used the stock stereo or purchased a faulty one as there would have been more room, but at least this way If I ever change car I can take it with me and keep the standard form factor.

I had to heavily modify the vu7+ to get things to fit, although I'm happy how it's turned out it could have gone badly at stages!
Im hoping to have it done by next Thursday as I'm expecting a baby.

I'd like to see a project if you start one.
Konami

Unread postby afremont » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:17 am

Watch out, they never come when they're supposed to. Congratulations.

This is a really neat project that you've done.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
afremont

Unread postby rooted » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:44 am

Konami wrote:
rooted wrote:

Thanks by the way, you have helped me out a lot, if I was to do this again I'd have used the stock stereo or purchased a faulty one as there would have been more room, but at least this way If I ever change car I can take it with me and keep the standard form factor.

I had to heavily modify the vu7+ to get things to fit, although I'm happy how it's turned out it could have gone badly at stages!
Im hoping to have it done by next Thursday as I'm expecting a baby.

I'd like to see a project if you start one.

You're welcome. My factory stereo went out so no loss there.

And early congratulations dad, I have three myself.
Last edited by rooted on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Senzi » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:03 pm

what and how do you turn the C2 on with the key of the vehicle? or do you manually do it each time you get in the vehicle?
Senzi

Unread postby Konami » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:29 pm

Senzi wrote:what and how do you turn the C2 on with the key of the vehicle? or do you manually do it each time you get in the vehicle?

Well this is an issue I've raised previously, the switch on the front panel that I have added is latching, so I can start my car and then push it and be booted up in 20-30 seconds..

This way the c2 doesn't come on inbetween turning the key and starting, it's best for the c2 so it doesn't get that power drop when then engine is cranking.

It's the most crude method I could think of for now, but really it wants a couple of 5v super capacitors inbetween the dc converter and the odroid.

This way I can leave the switch on and just let the key sit on ignition for a couple of seconds to charge them and turn the key.

Or better still a backup battery to get rid of boot times entirely, if anyone can suggest a better method I'd like to hear it!
Konami

Unread postby Konami » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:41 pm

afremont wrote:Watch out, they never come when they're supposed to. Congratulations.

This is a really neat project that you've done.

Haha thanks! She's being induced 2 weeks early So I'm hoping he baby Is when she's supposed to be!
Last edited by Konami on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konami

Unread postby Senzi » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:27 pm

hmm i wonder if some one makes a device that will make the odroid function like a regular accessory in the car, or if any one has a easy guide that would be awesome too. it would have to send a signal to the OS to shut down and maybe a 5 second delay to turn on to avoid the voltage drop during start times? or a regulated power output that has enough capacitors to hold 5-5.2 volts during engine crank.
Senzi

Unread postby Konami » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:19 am

Senzi wrote:hmm i wonder if some one makes a device that will make the odroid function like a regular accessory in the car, or if any one has a easy guide that would be awesome too. it would have to send a signal to the OS to shut down and maybe a 5 second delay to turn on to avoid the voltage drop during start times? or a regulated power output that has enough capacitors to hold 5-5.2 volts during engine crank.

I think I can cope with the way it is for now, can always add to it in the future! The way i have it Too i can turn it off after the car is stalled.

Or if I go to a shop I can just leave it running during the time if it's only on for a short period..

Got the majority of the wiring down today! It's feeling rewarding now i must admit, also I removed the cover from the hdmi extractor and bolted it inside. The facia is a bit crusty on the sides but that won't be seen when installed so I'm not too bothered, it's bonded extremely strong.
Konami

Unread postby rooted » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 am

Looking pretty clean to me. That power button is blinding, like the Punch Bass knob to my amplifier, had to hide it cause it was too bright at night.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby afremont » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:23 am

In the long run you should look into a smart power controller and conditioner to power your odroid. The 12v available in a car is atrociously filled with spikes, sags and noise which is not what you want to feed to your computer. There are projects out there that solve this problem. You may wish to scan through the raspberry pi forums because they've been talking about this for a while, and you have similar requirements in terms of needing a stable and clean 5V supply.

I have one that I bought for a NUC that has boost capability to supply the 19V needed by them. It automatically delays turn and continues to provide power after the key goes off so that a proper shutdown occurs.

Your special need is that you need some way to automatically initiate a shutdown for Android OS. Maybe there is already a driver available from hardkernel, or an app that you can load that will monitor a GPIO pin and initiate a system shutdown.

The power supply/controller would need a full time connection to the battery as well as a connection to the key switched power to sense when to initiate a system start-up after sensing the key on and then delaying until you've had time to start the engine. You don't want raw battery power going into your odroid while cranking or right after startup.

The module I bought had lots of neat features for this, but it had two major problems. One was that it wanted a connection to the motherboard where the momentary power switch connects and it wanted to talk to a Windows driver via USB to do a shutdown. My NUC (regardless of what the online specs said) did not have the board connector populated. I was also running Linux and the manufacturer was kind of tight lipped about the USB protocol to the driver. So, I put it back in the box and went with a 120V inverter so that I could get it working for a road trip. Given enough time, insure I could reverse engineer it all, but I just didn't have the time available. Its a really nice power board, they just think everyone runs Windows since there was also a utility to program the different options on the board.

afremont

Unread postby Konami » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:40 am

rooted wrote:Looking pretty clean to me. That power button is blinding, like the Punch Bass knob to my amplifier, had to hide it cause it was too bright at night.

Yeah i may have to address that at a later stage, i don't think the camera does it justice though as the screen is more reflective in daylight so the VU looks dimmer than it, (if i said that right ) i could just go round it a couple times with a black sharpie, or throw a resister on the line.

afremont wrote:In the long run you should look into a smart power controller and conditioner to power your odroid. The 12v available in a car is atrociously filled with spikes, sags and noise which is not what you want to feed to your computer. There are projects out there that solve this problem. You may wish to scan through the raspberry pi forums because they've been talking about this for a while, and you have similar requirements in terms of needing a stable and clean 5V supply.

I have one that I bought for a NUC that has boost capability to supply the 19V needed by them. It automatically delays turn and continues to provide power after the key goes off so that a proper shutdown occurs.

Your special need is that you need some way to automatically initiate a shutdown for Android OS. Maybe there is already a driver available from hardkernel, or an app that you can load that will monitor a GPIO pin and initiate a system shutdown.

The power supply/controller would need a full time connection to the battery as well as a connection to the key switched power to sense when to initiate a system start-up after sensing the key on and then delaying until you've had time to start the engine. You don't want raw battery power going into your odroid while cranking or right after startup.

The module I bought had lots of neat features for this, but it had two major problems. One was that it wanted a connection to the motherboard where the momentary power switch connects and it wanted to talk to a Windows driver via USB to do a shutdown. My NUC (regardless of what the online specs said) did not have the board connector populated. I was also running Linux and the manufacturer was kind of tight lipped about the USB protocol to the driver. So, I put it back in the box and went with a 120V inverter so that I could get it working for a road trip. Given enough time, insure I could reverse engineer it all, but I just didn't have the time available. Its a really nice power board, they just think everyone runs Windows since there was also a utility to program the different options on the board.

Yeah it would be ideal to add some sort of filtration system i do agree, the sags and noise or unstable voltage etc isn't a huge deal with that step down converter because I'm sure it will have some sort of lee-way...

E.g if my car voltage is between 11-13 it should still produce a stable 5V, the product information stated that it's protected although i don't particularly want to rely on it alone. ( its basically a similar circuit to a cigarette lighter phone charger which also runs of 12V)

even a cheap buck converter with a wide input range would solve a lot of the sag problem. you can buy them with a huge input voltage bandwith of easily over 20v and they will always produce the set voltage at a stable rate (providing its input is relatively higher than the output you should be good). they are a couple of dollars or pounds each.

like you state though, a smart control with GPIO would be the way.. GPIO is new to me i have to admit, i'm sure its a lot more difficult on android than linux too..

once it's all installed i can figure it out in my head, can i ask what the device you purchased was exactly out of interest..

Cheers for the input, i appreciate any kind of help or advice on this project as im nowhere near an expert on anything, i just have an alright tech knowledge!

*Edit - i just looked at the spec sheet for that converter, it states

-Use imported and integrated switching regulator modules manufacturing
-Synchronous rectification, the conversion rate is 96% or more, very low heat.
-Over voltage, over current, over temperature, short circuit, it can be auto protection, and can work in normal condition when restored.
-Epoxy potting, seismic, water, moisture, dust, long term stable and reliable quality.
-Super-thin, small size, high efficiency, easy installation and use.
-Input voltage: DC 8-20V

Although it is a cheaply bulk produced product one assumes, unsure of reliability untill i've personally used the thing!
Konami

Unread postby Konami » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:07 am

sonicxtacy02 wrote:I have the same splitter, and a flat HDMI cable such as the one shown in your pics. Have you tested both of those components together? The flat HDMI that I have doesnt work very well with the splitter. I do own an XU4 rather than a C2 for what its worth.

I think after a long look i am going to buy this amp, everything will be integrated then and i can keep the bolt-down technique going like the rest of my hardware :)

After reading the specs and chip information, its certainly high quality!

I can't seem to find the input voltage in the description anywhere, assume it's 12v but can't be sure, I'm sure it will be in the info in the box.
Konami

Unread postby rooted » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:10 am

Konami wrote:

I think after a long look i am going to buy this amp, everything will be integrated then and i can keep the bolt-down technique going like the rest of my hardware :)

After reading the specs and chip information, its certainly high quality!

I can't seem to find the input voltage in the description anywhere, assume it's 12v but can't be sure, I'm sure it will be in the info in the box.

TDA7850 Datasheet - STMicroelectronics

http://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/tda7850.pdf

– 4 x 50 W/4  max.
– 4 x 80 W/2  max.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Konami » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:27 am

rooted wrote:
TDA7850 Datasheet - STMicroelectronics

http://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/tda7850.pdf

– 4 x 50 W/4  max.
– 4 x 80 W/2  max.

thanks, i have found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/DROK-TDA7850-A ... A7850+drok

uses the same chip, has a potentiometer and is almost half the price.. the reviews are saying it powers four speakers fine, but that's not an accurate description really

i found on other listings of the same 'drok' manufacturer its 4x50w @ 4 ohms. which is enough. my speakers are 4ohms each. looks like that chip could use a heatsink but that's alright.
Konami

Unread postby afremont » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:06 am

Looking at this, I'm thinking it needs active cooling. Maybe this is overkill though.
https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-TDA7850-Di ... ds=tda7850

afremont

Unread postby afremont » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:16 am

I think this is what I purchased for the Intel NUC.
http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-NUC

This might be what we need for the odroid or pi boards. Lo and behold, it has source code and Linux support. I should have bought it. It even has an enclosure available.

http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB?sc=8&category=981

afremont

Unread postby Konami » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:21 am

afremont wrote:I think this is what I purchased for the Intel NUC.
http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-NUC

This might be what we need for the odroid or pi boards. Lo and behold, it has source code and Linux support. I should have bought it. It even has an enclosure available.

http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB?sc=8&category=981

Very interesting read!

This may actually be the solution right here, providing the gpio can receive shutdown/startup signals.
thinking about it.. Gpio might not even be needed for boot up.. Only for shutdown. If its wired up correctly,

I.e on my car, red is ignition switched 12v yellow is constant 12v...

if the red and yellow and ground can go to that unit, it can always be powered and dormant, and have the red ignition switched 12v as a remote to tell it when to fire, that's the boot solved.

Now for the shut down, it needs a signal from ignition to the gpio, in some form or manner. When the 12v red is not live. The gpio reads the signal and sends the shutdown command and then the buck converter can go back to a dormant state waiting to fire again..

This is where it gets a bit over my head unfortunately :(
I can understand how it could work in my head even though its still slightly confusing to me. Mainly gpio commands in android.

I need to do some googling, someone somewhere will have done it.
Konami

Unread postby sonicxtacy02 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 pm

That is the same DC to DC adapter that I use to power my XU4. I have it set to output at 5.2v, and you can set it to come on with ignition and turn off after a delay. I choose a 30 min delay, simply because I don't want to have to reboot each time i run in and out of a store. The only thing i'm missing is the ability to automatically shut down the ODROID when i turn the ignition off. Still looking at options for this, as right now i have to press the power button on screen.

The only issue you may have with this DC DC device is it's probably too long for a DIN installation. I have mine installed under my passenger seat.

BTW i should have prefaced all this by saying I've been into in-vehicle computing for years and years and currently have a XU4 build in my Honda Pilot. You can see a lot of the stuff I use, as well as blogs from me at mp3car dot com.
sonicxtacy02

Unread postby afremont » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:39 am

Which one do you have, I posted links to two different modules.

afremont

Unread postby Konami » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:00 am

sonicxtacy02 wrote:That is the same DC to DC adapter that I use to power my XU4. I have it set to output at 5.2v, and you can set it to come on with ignition and turn off after a delay. I choose a 30 min delay, simply because I don't want to have to reboot each time i run in and out of a store. The only thing i'm missing is the ability to automatically shut down the ODROID when i turn the ignition off. Still looking at options for this, as right now i have to press the power button on screen.

The only issue you may have with this DC DC device is it's probably too long for a DIN installation. I have mine installed under my passenger seat.

BTW i should have prefaced all this by saying I've been into in-vehicle computing for years and years and currently have a XU4 build in my Honda Pilot. You can see a lot of the stuff I use, as well as blogs from me at mp3car dot com.

Thanks a lot! will definitely have a read of the website! And that 30 minute shutdown would be fine for me to be honest, I don't mind pushing a button to shut down really, maybe there is another alternative that does the same thing but is a different size may be available.

It's nice to hear you have this much experience too, may have to give you a shout from time to time if that's all good on your side.

I did end up buying that cheaper amp just to get me going.. The amp itself it's fairly decent quality. Well enough for my needs..

But as stated previously by afremont I do have some noise issues, I'm currently powering the hdmi converter by the odroid.. Maybe powering it from he step down converter will fix it but I haven't had time today, it's definitely computer noises I'm hearing.. Not from the car itself..
Plus that chip (Tda7850) gets EXTREMELY hot..., I hope I haven't damaged anything testing it without a heatsink . I didn't think it would get so hot under little load.

But I need to plug the stereo into my converted pc psu indoors and have a tinker about and see what's what.

Two days till my baby's here so I might have to put this on hold for a little bit.
Konami

Unread postby afremont » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 am

Better get done all you can now, you're not going to have a spare minute for at least a couple of months. You're going to discover a new level of tired, but it will amaze you that you'll get through it with relative ease. Your first full night of sleep is months away now. Enjoy it, they grow really fast.

afremont

Unread postby Konami » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:02 am

afremont wrote:Better get done all you can now, you're not going to have a spare minute for at least a couple of months. You're going to discover a new level of tired, but it will amaze you that you'll get through it with relative ease. Your first full night of sleep is months away now. Enjoy it, they grow really fast.

I'm not quite sure how to target that noise, I think it might be a ground issue... But how to ground what to where is the question

I was thinking black wire to chassis to amp ground or to the hdmi Shields..

I'll figure it out eventually, I'm going to order the hifi shield on Monday anyway, saves a lot of room!
Konami

Unread postby sonicxtacy02 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:04 am

afremont wrote:Which one do you have, I posted links to two different modules.

this one: https://store.mp3car.com/products/dcdc- ... rogramming
sonicxtacy02

Unread postby Konami » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:04 am

sonicxtacy02 wrote:
afremont wrote:Which one do you have, I posted links to two different modules.

this one: https://store.mp3car.com/products/dcdc- ... rogramming

It's quite a pricey unit but looks well worth it. The features way outweigh the price in my opinion..

I think what I am going to buy is the one stated previously that was ideal for my project, it's too irresistible

I solved the noise issue.. For some reason having the hdmi converter bolted to the case in the manner I did caused the noise, i can't quite answer why..

But insulated mounting sorted it, but that doesn't matter now I'm planning a hifi shield. Just thought I would say incase anybody is using one.

I'm going to have a break from the project until next week now, and then buy some more bits that I need and spend a few hours on it at full force..

I am going to buy a hifi shield and possibly the power supply on monday
Konami

Unread postby rooted » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:20 am

Congratulations on your first child.

You're doing it right in my opinion, build it slow until it works the way you want.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby crispycritter911 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 am

Have you thought about checking out Mausberry's Automotive Power supply? It is designed for the Raspberry PI but could be adapted to the Odroid.
http://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/collections/car-power-supply-switches/products/3a-car-supply-switch
crispycritter911

Unread postby afremont » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Just judging by the picture, since I couldn't find a schematic, that supply looks a little short on protection and filtration. Automotive power is terrible, I would expect to see some large caps, inductors and some TVS diodes on the board, not just some SMD chips.

afremont

Unread postby Konami » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:35 pm

crispycritter911 wrote:Have you thought about checking out Mausberry's Automotive Power supply? It is designed for the Raspberry PI but could be adapted to the Odroid.
http://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/collections/car-power-supply-switches/products/3a-car-supply-switch

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like a nice little unit but i really would benifit from the programmable power supply i think. But i do appreciate all suggestions equally.

for the extra $20-30 or so it has a lot more features, i am building this on a slight budget in all honesty... or at least trying to, that's why i didnt get a facia made up and bought alot of stuff off ebay.

im skimping on the parts i can but power is something that needs to be spot on as i've figured, and i'd rather spend the extra money so i know my equipment is safe.
Some more updates coming soon, baby arrived early friday morning and i still havent slept.. it's just been crazy the last couple of days and nights!

my facia adapter came in the post and it fits perfectly snug, i think i might glue it to the facia i made and use some filler / sanding and then spray it gloss black so its all one unit.
That's only a maybe as if i do this then it will make it more hassle if i change my car to one with a standard double din form factor.

i should get the hifi shield on tuesday and with the facia i can actually start using it properly then, so ill make a couple of vids and link them in. all being well and i get time this is!
Konami

Unread postby Konami » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Ok so I had a slight set back on this project..

Purchased a hifi shield and it blew up my C2 and the shield maybe!

Purchased another C2 and going to send the shield back for testing.

I'm unsure what happened as it was installed correctly and everything was removed from my project with care prior to installation. my C2 was working after removal and before the hifi shield as i installed an emmc to it too and i had to set the resolution on a different monitor.. it only bolts together if its aligned properly. i got told by customer support at odroid uk that i had placed the shield on with a pin misaligned.. i tried this after speaking to them and it does not bolt together if its not aligned. so no problems there.

Anyway, just one of those things. It must have just been faulty..
New bits should be here tomorrow so i should have this project usable by this weekend.

if i hadn't of spent so much time and money on this i would have probably given up. but i shall not be beat!
my Vu7+ is working fortunately.

I just get the solid red light on the c2 and the SPDIF port still illuminates on the shield.. but the C2 red LED is dimmer than usual, so unsure whats going on. i need to test the GPiO outputs with a DMM and see what the situation is. maybe i can trace the 5v input down the line and find the faulty component and replace it.

if anybody knows which component is likely to have caput then that would be a great help!
Konami

Unread postby rooted » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:25 am

It would get proper attention if you start a thread just for the faulty c2.

Sorry to hear that too.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby odroid » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Check the voltage on NCP372 input/output pins.
You can find C2 schematics in this link.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... &tab_idx=2
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Konami » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:30 pm

rooted wrote:It would get proper attention if you start a thread just for the faulty c2.

Sorry to hear that too.

I should do, I'll have a crack at diagnosing it first, hopefully it's just an input cap or regulator so I can fix it,

And thanks odroid I shall have a look!

It's not a major loss, just £50-70 or so, something I could have done without but I'm determined to do this project.

I may just have to make do with the usb to audio as I've spent more money than I would have liked..

Providing this works on the c2.. On hardkernel website it says so.. But on odroid UK it states it's just for the c1.
Konami

Unread postby Konami » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:45 pm

I checked the chip, producing around about 4.8v or just over,, I have a usb volt meter at the socket which when power applied shows 4.98

And with the cable drop this seems to be about right at the c2... Gpio is showing all 5v and 3v rails working.. And the header for the shield pins are also at 5v..

Not quite sure what's wrong from here. I got my new c2 today anyway I may start a new thread for this issue at a later date.
Konami

Unread postby Konami » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:23 am

Got up and running again with a new c2 and hifi shield.

Just a little audio test, got my amplifier up and running and isolated all noise (99%, very close and completely tolerable) by grounding the shield rca ground to my amplifier ground.

Also with the emmc it makes it lightening fast compared with the Samsung evo 32gb class 10 i had previously..

I have had a little play with sdr touch with the provided antenna, but I think the adapter needs relocating out of the unit as there is just way to much interference.. I can hardly get a station..

Everything else is good though, been using it for a day solid and it's going extremely strong. Just on mp3's though and YouTube.

Just a little vid of the audio quality and function, it goes louder than my standard head unit did before but I didn't crank it to 11.

https://youtu.be/Cov8Dbpl-aI

I still need to find a suitable heatsink but I do have one for the Tda7850, it just doesn't have a fan as of yet, also I haven't installed any front panel stuff really bar a power switch, the amp has a volume bass and treble knob all in one potentiometer with a push switch but it's good because it has a memory function, so I have just set it on full volume and set my bass/treble and it remembers even after power loss.
Konami

Unread postby rooted » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:04 am

SDR radio is extremely sensitive to EM, there is too much going on near it with no shielding I imagine.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Konami » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:56 am

rooted wrote:SDR radio is extremely sensitive to EM, there is too much going on near it with no shielding I imagine.

Yeah highly likely, it may not be possible to get a decent signal without a lot of testing, a car is basically an enclosed metal capsule with wires running everywhere, so the emf is probably everywhere inside it.

Unfortunately when I tested the r820T2 with a USB extension it had a disconnect issue, so that's another thing, maybe I can try placing the adapter in a metal container of its own. But the antenna wire isn't of best quality so wherever that goes needs to be shielded, having it run along side car wiring looms is probably what's causing alot of the problem, maybe I could wrap the antenna wire in some aluminium tape or something similar, there's a few options. I don't think it is a very high quality cable.
Konami

Unread postby rooted » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:54 am

Good luck ironing out the interference issues, proper shielding works wonders.

As a test I wrapped mine in aluminum foil (including the antenna wire), the interference reduction was very noticeable. I had the dongle connected to one of my boards behind the TV sitting next to a power supply, other odroids, and two routers. No issues listening to FM radio.

If you could find a short USB extension and add a ferrite bead it would probably make a huge difference, ferrite beads are very inexpensive also.

*edit*
Did a bit of searching, seems removing the metal around the the USB connector nets about a 10db reduction in noise.

http://rtlsdr4everyone.blogspot.com/p/r ... e.html?m=1
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Konami » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:38 am

rooted wrote:Good luck ironing out the interference issues, proper shielding works wonders.

As a test I wrapped mine in aluminum foil (including the antenna wire), the interference reduction was very noticeable. I had the dongle connected to one of my boards behind the TV sitting next to a power supply, other odroids, and two routers. No issues listening to FM radio.

If you could find a short USB extension and add a ferrite bead it would probably make a huge difference, ferrite beads are very inexpensive also.

*edit*
Did a bit of searching, seems removing the metal around the the USB connector nets about a 10db reduction in noise.

http://rtlsdr4everyone.blogspot.com/p/r ... e.html?m=1

Nice find! cheers... Looking at this i might try the car ground to usb metal "noise almost completely eliminated" there's plenty of stuff I can try from this, I'll test a few out if the car negative doesnt work.

I need to sort out some heat dissipation too, trying to hook a cpu cooler to the amp if I can get it to fit.
Konami

Unread postby Konami » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:33 pm

Got a little treat in the post, it's heavy which is a good sign!!

Passes the kittens smell test. I just need the intelligent psu and then I'm good for the most part.

I have redone the fascia entirely and added front panel usb and sorted the chip in the corner!
Konami

Unread postby rooted » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:21 pm

Cute kitten, how is it doing with the new baby?
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Konami » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:45 am

rooted wrote:Cute kitten, how is it doing with the new baby?

Thanks :) Yeah the baby is good! She has put on one pound in just over a week which is quite a bit the health visitor said, everything is okay apart from I sometimes now sleep on the sofa haha.

The kitten doesn't bother her at all he's quite good,

Got the amp installed but in the glovebox as it's just slightly too big for the head unit, but it's extremely quality!!

I think I'm going to just stream for radio as it's much less hassle and the quality is always bang on.

I can use the rtl sdr indoors though. So it's not wasted :) I'll get some finished product pics soon!!

Thanks for everybody's help on this project. It's come a long way! And all the suggestions are really helpful.

*edit, I will try out the noise methods stated on the website provided by rooted for the rtl sdr adapters. I might as well since I have it and it will help other people if they are interested.
Konami

Unread postby DuMac » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi guys, I can't find ready Android multimedia player for my car, so, I'm planning to make my own android multimedia + navigation box. There is HDMI VGA 2AV display driver board available in ebay, aliexpress. Different video sources can be connected to it. For example, ODROID to HDMI and car reverse back view camera to AV2. This board supports for automatic switch to AV2 when car is in reverse shift. There are different LCD available for this board (I'm thinking about 7inch 1280x800 IPS) but capacitive touchscreen panel should be bought separately (need to find working one). Are you planning to connect rearview camera to your player? Will I have issues with sound using cheap ($3.9) USB Audio Adapter that is available in Hardkernel store. I'm planning to connect Odroid to standard car radio to AUX port. Standard car radio will be used for radio and CD, bluetooth and pariking sensors sound + AUX for Odroid box.
DuMac

languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: c2

Unread postby DuMac » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Seems, EasyCap Viewer app with AV-> USB adapter can help to connect rear camera to ODROID. It's good to hear that auto start function (auto off too) is supported when signal from camera is available (in reverse shift)
DuMac

languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: c2

Unread postby mhump711 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 pm

OP where did you get the double din case? And does the vu7+ fit in a standard double din space? Thanks in advance for the info... Looking to do very similar things with but with me own twists
mhump711

Unread postby rooted » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:49 pm

mhump711 wrote:OP where did you get the double din case? And does the vu7+ fit in a standard double din space? Thanks in advance for the info... Looking to do very similar things with but with me own twists

Yes the VU7+ fits in DDIN space, with room to spare on one side for volume potentiometer and/or some physical buttons.

Second paragraph of the OP

Konami wrote: VU7+ encased in a VW RCD200 cage with facia cut out
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby dutchmaster18 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Has anyone been able to come up with any ideas for backup camera. This is a great thread and should be kept alive.
dutchmaster18

PreviousNext

Return to Projects