RTL8821CU Wifi/BT Dongle Android support?

Post Reply
User avatar
LazyBunny
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:32 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

RTL8821CU Wifi/BT Dongle Android support?

Unread post by LazyBunny » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:13 am

Just bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/123669791420
Since i needed a cheap Wifi/BT combo adapter with an external antenna. And this dongle met my requirements.
But it doesn't seem to be working for wifi OR bluetooth in Android for the Odoid C2 v5.2 viewtopic.php?f=137&t=19203#p266354

This is the device ID i got from my desktop.
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_C820&MI_02\6&4DA5C86&0&0002
Any way to install "drivers" for android without having to reinstall android, if an update is made?

Because it's a pretty big deal to me that i get this working. I do need both the Wifi AND the BT working.

Edit:
https://www.realtek.com/en/products/com ... /rtl8821cu
Apply bunny directly to face.
*Facebun*
Image

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 32318
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 315 times
Contact:

Re: RTL8821CU Wifi/BT Dongle Android support?

Unread post by odroid » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 am

It might work with Ubuntu OS image if you build and install the DKMS driver.
viewtopic.php?f=177&t=34769

But Android needs a lot of development work.
You have to develop/port the WiFi/Bluetooth device driver as well as the network/BT HAL of Android framework.
https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-93603
If you are not a platform developer, the porting process will be very painful.

User avatar
LazyBunny
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:32 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: RTL8821CU Wifi/BT Dongle Android support?

Unread post by LazyBunny » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 am

odroid wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 am
It might work with Ubuntu OS image if you build and install the DKMS driver.
It's for my Google Assistant box, so Ubuntu is out of the question.

Is there any way to add a new wifi/bt device to the android post install?

Because right now, not even my old Class 1 Azio BT2.1 module works. It's the only other bluetooth module i have. Otherwise i'm out of money and out of luck.
Apply bunny directly to face.
*Facebun*
Image

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 4024
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 176 times
Contact:

Re: RTL8821CU Wifi/BT Dongle Android support?

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 am

LazyBunny wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 am
odroid wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 am
It might work with Ubuntu OS image if you build and install the DKMS driver.
It's for my Google Assistant box, so Ubuntu is out of the question.

Is there any way to add a new wifi/bt device to the android post install?

Because right now, not even my old Class 1 Azio BT2.1 module works. It's the only other bluetooth module i have. Otherwise i'm out of money and out of luck.
Can you share the VID/PID of your dongle, please?

User avatar
LazyBunny
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:32 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: RTL8821CU Wifi/BT Dongle Android support?

Unread post by LazyBunny » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 am

For the Azio adapter, USB\VID_0A12&PID_0001&REV_5276
Mind you, for windows 10, i have to use a weird driver to make it work, it's still a generic driver, but it's not the one windows 10 automatically tries to select.
This one is a Generic Bluetooth Radio, CSR, so really generic, but it's class 1 so it's a bit beefier than your common class2 $2 adapter. Even though it's an older BT 2.1 adapter.

For the EDUP adapter
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_C820&MI_02\6&4DA5C86&0&0002
This is what it shows up as on my windows desktop. I'm assuming it's going to be the same.
Apply bunny directly to face.
*Facebun*
Image

User avatar
codewalker
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: all
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Contact:

Re: RTL8821CU Wifi/BT Dongle Android support?

Unread post by codewalker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Try to edit wifi_id_list like this.

Code: Select all

# vi /system/etc/wifi_id_list.txt
 81 0bda 8812 8812au /system/etc/modprobe.d/8812au
 82 0bda a811 8812au /system/etc/modprobe.d/8812au
 83 0bda c820 8812au /system/etc/modprobe.d/8812au
LazyBunny wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 am
For the Azio adapter, USB\VID_0A12&PID_0001&REV_5276
Mind you, for windows 10, i have to use a weird driver to make it work, it's still a generic driver, but it's not the one windows 10 automatically tries to select.
This one is a Generic Bluetooth Radio, CSR, so really generic, but it's class 1 so it's a bit beefier than your common class2 $2 adapter. Even though it's an older BT 2.1 adapter.

For the EDUP adapter
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_C820&MI_02\6&4DA5C86&0&0002
This is what it shows up as on my windows desktop. I'm assuming it's going to be the same.
These users thanked the author codewalker for the post:
LazyBunny (Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 am)

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest