Thinking About Junking the Odroid Platform - No Real IoT or AI Support

Poui
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thinking About Junking the Odroid Platform - No Real IoT or AI Support

Unread post by Poui » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:16 am

What's up Odroid? Where is the quick follower support for Odroid user learning and development using modern technologies like IoT and AI/ML.

Increasingly I look with envy at the amazing ecosystem of supports for Raspberry Pi. Thinking hard about rubbishing my Odroids (C2 and XU4) and migrating to Pi land. For more useful, modern peripherals, easy deploys, and better overall value for learning and development.

Are there any useful, easy to implement IoT peripherals for/truly compatible with Odroid? Can I use it with something like the https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/j ... eloper-kit?

Not a hater, using Odroids alone for three years, just being frank. Today, It's all about awesome customer experiences.

Poui

ASword
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1

Re: Thinking About Junking the Odroid Platform - No Real IoT or AI Support

Unread post by ASword » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 am

The nVidia tech you link to only works with the nVidia SBC, so no RPi support there. You need an nVidia GPU to use that, and you're only going to get that from nVidia or an x86 w/ real PCIe slots.

As for RPi, sure, that's a legit question. The hardware isn't as good (even the latest model RPi, although that one is a lot closer to the N2), but there is a lot of community around RPi. If you're happy to play in their somewhat curated environment, then go for it. If you're just going to end up back on a Linux distro, then it isn't any better off (and probably worse) than ODROID. The latest RPi just closed the gap somewhat, but if I need more boards than the two N2s I have already (with the same requirements), I'll still go N2. Most of the other players in the low end SBC market just got a lot less interesting though (that nVidia Jetson nano notwithstanding).
Last edited by ASword on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poui

Unread post by Poui » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:09 am

I acknowledge and respect your opinion. However, my substantive queries concerned the IoT and AI/ML supports/ecosystem/capabilities possible/enabled using Odroid as a base CPU platform.

And, I could never be a fanboy of any vendor or technology. Rather more disposed to being promiscuous with both while maintaining a singular focus on my jobs to be done, experiencing a delightful customer experience, and obtaining great value.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:58 am

Regarding AI/ML, I've noticed that future trends seem to be to replace (at least partially) AI from the cloud with AI "at the edge" - running on small/embedded devices, but doing some filtering/correlation, etc (kind of like Alexa & friends, but with more local intelligence). I've played with projects like Mycroft as an AI assistant, but is there a framework for a distributed edge processing/AI mesh?
The projects I've seen relied working on a single node.

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 6 x HC1, N2, H2

Unread post by powerful owl » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:49 pm

What exactly is meant by "IoT support"?

Poui

Unread post by Poui » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:09 pm

IoT Support = easy support for use of IoT sensor/actuator boards, shields, devices, etc. To learn about IoT, do prototyping, etc. Get more use out of the Odroid SBC.

Raspberry Pi and IoT = no problem.

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 6 x HC1, N2, H2

Unread post by powerful owl » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Oh I see. I guess my take is Hardkernel is a small company and can't do everything. Some of their products are unique, like the HC1 and H2... nothing like them at all in Pi land. That's why I'm here :D

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Unread post by igorpec » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Poui wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:09 pm
IoT Support = easy support for use of IoT sensor/actuator boards, shields, devices, etc. To learn about IoT, do prototyping, etc. Get more use out of the Odroid SBC.

Raspberry Pi and IoT = no problem.
Most boards out there supports all standard "IOT" protocols (I2C, SPI, 1WIRE, GPIO, ...) out of the box. If you want to learn something, you have to choose something else than RPi. When things works plug and play, you learn nothing.
These users thanked the author igorpec for the post (total 3):
joerg (Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:17 pm) • mad_ady (Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:47 pm) • hominoid (Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:28 am)
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”