Powering the C2

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Powering the C2

Unread postby e4aaps » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:17 am

Hi, I read through the posts here and used the search function, but I am still having a quick question:

- is the barrel jack (2.5mm/0.8mm) the only official way to power the Odroid C2 with 5V/2A?
- Are there any other input options for unregulated 5V except the barrel jack? e.g. the two GPIO pins or the micro-USB jack?

I fear, that I may then be bypassing the regulator and since there is an external 7" display with capacitative touch powered over one of the USB ports I want to make sure, that I am using an officially supported configuration.
The reason I am asking is, that these barrel connectors are quite hard to get by here in Germany, could only find one with internal 0.7mm diameter and I need a long PSU cable and a on/off switch, so I am looking for the easiest solution to create an own cable (without just cutting up my existing PSU, since I have already a big 5V + 12V PSU in the overall system available, where I can draw the 5V from.

Thanks for your responses - sunshine,

Michael.
e4aaps

languages_spoken: english

Re: Powering the C2

Unread postby odroid » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:43 pm

C2 works with only 4.75V~5.25V input voltage.
If you apply any unregulated power source, you will fry the C2 board.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby e4aaps » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:24 pm

OK, understood. So, if I then feed regulated 5V to the board, does it make a difference whether I use the barrel jack or the GPIO Pins (PCB trace widths etc...)?
e4aaps

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:29 am

The barrel jack goes through a voltage regulator and has overvoltage protection
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby e4aaps » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:39 pm

OK, thank you for the quick reply. This is confusing. The answer by „odroid“ the site admin indicates that you need to have regulated power right from the start, then the latest answer indicates that there IS a regulator on board behind the barrel jack. I guess I have to try to find the locations on the C2 schematics. I previously tried that, but could not find the correct part for the barrel jack on the schematics. I need to have a look at it again.

Thanks for all the answers!
e4aaps

Unread postby e4aaps » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 pm

OK, I think I found it now:
- On page 10 the barrel jack is described, with the NCP372 which provides the overvoltage protection and the output goes to a page connector „DC“
- On page 3 upper right this page connector connects directly to the net „P5V0“ and on the same page lower right, this goes directly to the GPIO pins 2 and 4

I apologize for not having found the „DC“ connection. Was not looking hard enough.

Thanks everyone - now I just have to find the right connector. I could ounly source a 2.5mm/0.7mm connector here in Germany, not a 2.6mm/0.7mm connector. Will test that, once it arrives, if it is reliable.

Sunshine!

Michael.
e4aaps

Unread postby Jojo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:40 am

e4aaps wrote:OK, I think I found it now:
- On page 10 the barrel jack is described, with the NCP372 which provides the overvoltage protection and the output goes to a page connector „DC“
- On page 3 upper right this page connector connects directly to the net „P5V0“ and on the same page lower right, this goes directly to the GPIO pins 2 and 4

I apologize for not having found the „DC“ connection. Was not looking hard enough.

Thanks everyone - now I just have to find the right connector. I could ounly source a 2.5mm/0.7mm connector here in Germany, not a 2.6mm/0.7mm connector. Will test that, once it arrives, if it is reliable.

Sunshine!

Michael.

https://www.pollin.de/p/usb-stromversorgungskabel-2-5-0-8-mm-562362 ?!

Btw, @odroid is correct. You need regulated 5V PSU. Of course there are regulators on the board as well, but those are not for the 5V rail, but for the other voltages, which are generated from the 5V. The 5V is "limited" but not regulated on the board.
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Return to Hardware and peripherals