nophage
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DietPi for Odroid C2

Post by nophage »

Hi Fourdee,

First of all thanks for your work.
I installed Dietpi yesterday and since I tried to configure Mate and Kodi but I found some issues:

On Mate, it seems that the audio doesn't work for me and firefox is unable to start. I think Firefox doesn't like to run as root and break something with the profile. I could manage to install Chromium and start it with the tmp profile option, otherwise it complains about the root user.
I also tried to create an alternate user in the sudo group but when I lunch Mate with this user it's totally broken an unusable...

On Kodi, my main issue is that the NFS browse doesn't work and all my data are stored into my NFS share. Previously the NFS was working with Librelec dist or Android.
I tried to use connect my NFS share through the dietpi-config but I'm not sure it's supported.

My config:
Dietpi v122
C2 with HDMI 2.0 (with audio) cable to my Panasonic AX900 TV.
NAS Synology with DSM 6

Thanks for your help

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

nophage wrote:On Mate, it seems that the audio doesn't work for me
You have to make sure the right audio device is selected.
Desktop Environments (DE) normally use pulseaudio for sound and pulseaudio does NOT work for root (at least not out of the box), that's why you should use a "normal" user for a Desktop not "root".
You can than use pavucontrol to select the AudioDevice (HDMI).
nophage wrote:and firefox is unable to start. I think Firefox doesn't like to run as root and break something with the profile.
FireFox is known to NOT work on arm64, has nothing to do with root, has nothing to do with the profile, it simply does not work.
If you force the installation of IceWeasel 38 (clone of FireFox) instead it will work, although Chromium is the better browser.
nophage wrote:I also tried to create an alternate user in the sudo group but when I lunch Mate with this user it's totally broken an unusable...
The user needs to be in quite some groups to work correctly just adding the user to sudo won't help at all. The user needs access, to audio, video and such alike.
nophage wrote:On Kodi, my main issue is that the NFS browse doesn't work and all my data are stored into my NFS share. Previously the NFS was working with Librelec dist or Android.
I tried to use connect my NFS share through the dietpi-config but I'm not sure it's supported.
Have you installed libnfs4? It's normally all that is needed to allow Kodi to access NFS shares.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Fourdee
ODROIDs: C1 / C2 / XU4 + Cloudshell.

Post by Fourdee »

nophage wrote:On Mate, it seems that the audio doesn't work for me and firefox is unable to start.
Hi Nophage,

I believe Meveric covered the Firefox issue in the post above.

For the audio issue, MATE depends on pulseaudio and is installed by default. This isn't the case for XFCE or LXDE desktops.
It appears the asound.conf we use to get working sound on the HDMI through Kodi, breaks pulseaudio. Removing /etc/asound.conf resolved this for me and I was able to play music in Amarok.

Fix, move asound.conf out the way:

Code: Select all

mv /etc/asound.conf /etc/asound.conf.bak
You may receive a prompt asking you to confirm a hardware change, say yes.
After a reboot, audio through pulseaudio should be functional.
meveric wrote:You can than use pavucontrol to select the AudioDevice (HDMI).
I highly recommend you install this, works a treat ^^

apt-get install -y pavucontrol 
http://DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Odroid.
DietPi web hosting is powered by http://MyVirtualServer.com

nophage

Post by nophage »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help because I'm not super friendly with linux :)

I could manage the NFS share in Kodi by installing libnfs-dev, thanks to maverick.
I don't want to make Dietpi fat but I would be great to integrate the libnfs with the Kodi's installation :)

Also I don't want to break the HDMI audio from Kodi, so I'll install another desktop with the pavucontrol and Chromium.

Anyway, thanks again guys, it was really helpful for me.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

nophage wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help because I'm not super friendly with linux :)

Also I don't want to break the HDMI audio from Kodi, so I'll install another desktop with the pavucontrol and Chromium.

Anyway, thanks again guys, it was really helpful for me.
Hi nophage,

I just ran some tests with Mate and Kodi, works fine without the asound.conf:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -230849907

So, if your running MATE (and/or have pulseaudio installed), remove /etc/asound.conf

I'll get this patched for the next update.
I could manage the NFS share in Kodi by installing libnfs-dev, thanks to maverick.
I don't want to make Dietpi fat but I would be great to integrate the libnfs with the Kodi's installation :)
I'll add this in, but if you can try apt-get install libnfs4 and remove the dev package apt-get purge libnfs-dev and let me know if NFS is still functional, i'd appreciate it (I dont have any active NFS shares to test at the moment).

nophage

Post by nophage »

Hi Fourdee,

Yes, it works perfectly without the libnfs-dev paquet.
Previously, i installed it because on the Kodi wiki http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Compile_Kodi_for_Linux they put it...

So, if your running MATE (and/or have pulseaudio installed), remove /etc/asound.conf

Good, I installed XFCE, removed the asound.conf and it works fine also with Kodi.

Tonight, I will run some test on Kodi with a HEVC 10bit movie and audio passthrough.

Thanks.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

Fourdee wrote:Hi nophage,

I don't think that's really the issue, nor that the asound.conf is doing any harm. I use it on my image as well and it's working fine.
In fact Kodi works on ALSA anyway and not on pulse.
The only thing that needs to be done is to set HDMI output as a default. I've done that on my images directly in the pulseaudio config (or you can do it via pavucontrl).
BTW what do you need amarok for? That thing is HUGE for a simple music player, or is it just me? With all the dependencies (half of KDE) it installs over 300MB for me.
I would recommend using Clementine instead, it's the better player in my opinion.

Anyway.. I have /etc/asound.conf still active and amarok works fine as well, so I really don't think it causes any issues.

Instead I would check as I said if the right audio-device for pulseaudio is selected. I also found that installing pulseaudio from jessie-backports works a lot better than the default pulseaudio. You might rather want to consider installing this instead of removing /etc/asound.conf
Fourdee wrote:I'll add this in, but if you can try apt-get install libnfs4 and remove the dev package apt-get purge libnfs-dev and let me know if NFS is still functional, i'd appreciate it (I dont have any active NFS shares to test at the moment).
the libnfs-dev package only consists of the header files for libnfs it should never be "needed" to run a program. It only worked since libnfs-dev requires libnfs4 to be installed as well.
Using libnfs4 is the way to go.
It's also in my install script for Kodi and was reported to work perfectly fine.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

The only thing that needs to be done is to set HDMI output as a default. I've done that on my images directly in the pulseaudio config (or you can do it via pavucontrl).
Instead I would check as I said if the right audio-device for pulseaudio is selected. I also found that installing pulseaudio from jessie-backports works a lot better than the default pulseaudio. You might rather want to consider installing this instead of removing /etc/asound.conf
My experience with pulseaudio is lacking as I prefer to use barebones ALSA where possible. In all the devices we support and software in DietPi, the only time Pulseaudio is installed is with MATE and XU4 Kodi (to resolve broken sound).

I did try a few audio outputs from pavucontrl, but i'll take another look today and see if we can find a better solution than removing the asound.conf.
BTW what do you need amarok for? That thing is HUGE for a simple music player, or is it just me? With all the dependencies (half of KDE) it installs over 300MB for me.
I would recommend using Clementine instead, it's the better player in my opinion.
Lol, yep, shes a big one alright :) Just picked it for testing. Clementine looks slick, will have to give it a go.
nophage wrote:Yes, it works perfectly without the libnfs-dev paquet.
meveric wrote:the libnfs-dev package only consists of the header files for libnfs it should never be "needed" to run a program. It only worked since libnfs-dev requires libnfs4 to be installed as well.
Using libnfs4 is the way to go.
It's also in my install script for Kodi and was reported to work perfectly fine.
Excellent, thanks guys.
In the next DietPi update (v123):
- Installing Kodi with dietpi-software will also install libnfs4.
- Existing Kodi installations will also be patched during the update.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote:I don't think that's really the issue, nor that the asound.conf is doing any harm. I use it on my image as well and it's working fine.
In fact Kodi works on ALSA anyway and not on pulse.
Just did a fresh installation of your image. After updating and installing MATE + Kodi and saying "No" to the 32bit fix, no asound.conf exists.

root@odroid-jessie64:~# cat /etc/asound.conf
cat: /etc/asound.conf: No such file or directory
I also could not get Kodi to run from MATE with 24bit or 32bit. 24bit complains about unable to detect gamma and running 32bit renders black windows in MATE.

root@odroid-jessie64:~# cat .kodi/temp/kodi.log | grep ERROR
20:09:42 T:548024856576   ERROR: GLX Error: No Display found
root@odroid-jessie64:~# cat .kodi/temp/kodi.log | grep FATAL
20:09:42 T:548024856576   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system
If you need me to run any tests please, let me know.

meveric

Post by meveric »

I'll do a couple of installation tests the next days..

Strange though, cause the question about 32bit fix should not show up at all, since this was only for fbdev and is no longer needed and the question should not pop up at all.
Are you sure you updated the image before you tried to install Kodi?

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote:I'll do a couple of installation tests the next days..

Strange though, cause the question about 32bit fix should not show up at all, since this was only for fbdev and is no longer needed and the question should not pop up at all.
Are you sure you updated the image before you tried to install Kodi?
Yep, I ran:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
setup-odroid
Ah I see, some packages got left behind on the 1st upgrade:

root@odroid-jessie64:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  linux-headers-arm64-odroid-c2 linux-image-arm64-odroid-c2 setup-odroid
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
So it was using the older fbdev setup-odroid code. That explains it :)

meveric

Post by meveric »

yep, you forgot "dist-upgrade" ;)

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote:yep, you forgot "dist-upgrade" ;)
Yep.

Although, I couldn't find any documentation on your post for updating, prior to running setup-odroid: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=19403.

Just a suggestion to prevent others users (mainly me lol ;) ) from making the same mistake, and, installing outdated software and configurations. Change the "I created a setup tool that's already preinstalled:" code section to something along the lines of:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get dist-upgrade -y
setup-odroid
?

meveric

Post by meveric »

Good idea. It's been a while since I put out the image and a lot changed since then.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote:Good idea. It's been a while since I put out the image and a lot changed since then.
Yep, and then some :). C2 devolpment seems non-stop and its great to see it become, in my eyes, the best all round SBC on the market today.

Either way, i'am trying to hide behind the fact I forgot to check the output of apt-get upgrade -y, after running it lol ;) Apologies for that Meveric.

meveric

Post by meveric »

I already changed the first post, cause I think others have the same issue.
For me it's always what I do at first, but I'm a Linux sys-admin so I guess for me that's normal, but not for everyone else it seems ;)

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote:
nophage wrote:On Mate, it seems that the audio doesn't work for me
You have to make sure the right audio device is selected.
Meveric was spot on.

We don't need to remove the asound.conf, instead, correctly apply the default sink for pulse in /etc/pulse/default.pa.
This will be patched in the DietPi v123 update: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -231587426

Thanks Meveric! :)

meveric

Post by meveric »

well that's what I did on my image and it worked fine, so I knew it wasn't an issue with the asound.conf.

BTW: as I said, I've updated my pulseaudio with the one from jessie-backports and ever since I didn't needed that option anymore. Maybe it's already selected somewhere else now, but I also have much less audio delay using the newer pulseaudio.

Mattzees
ODROIDs: C2

Post by Mattzees »

I'm getting no video output on a fresh install of DietPi. Are we supposed to use SSH exclusively?
When I installed DietPi on a RaspberryPi, there was video output, and I was able to configure via the CLI.

Mattzees

Post by Mattzees »

Oh, nevermind. I got it.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

I'm getting no video output on a fresh install of DietPi. Are we supposed to use SSH exclusively?
When I installed DietPi on a RaspberryPi, there was video output, and I was able to configure via the CLI
Hi Mattzees,

All DietPi images have HDMI output enabled by default along with dropbear SSH server installed. The C2 image is set for 720p, 60hz and 32bit depth. This can be changed in /boot/boot.ini prior to boot if needed.
Mattzees wrote:Oh, nevermind. I got it.
Excellent :)

kaede

Post by kaede »

didnt notice now we can enable headless for C2.
now i have more RAM. thank you.

btw is this the latest kernel ?
Linux ODROIDC2 3.14.65+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 8 13:42:47

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

kaede wrote:btw is this the latest kernel ?
Linux ODROIDC2 3.14.65+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 8 13:42:47
All kernel updates are available through apt-get and maintained by Meveric.

Latest kernel is:

root@DietPi:~# uname -a
Linux DietPi 3.14.65+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jul 3 13:44:30 CEST 2016 aarch64 GNU/Linux
You can check and update the kernel with:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Takenover83
ODROIDs: C1+

Post by Takenover83 »

Package "libcurl3-gnutls needs to be installed with kodi. Without it you can not connect to repositories or view system info (crashes kodi).
apt-get install ibcurl3-gnutls

Also, I get no sound in LXDE. I would like to avoid installing pulse if possible. Audio is working in kodi however.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

Takenover83 wrote:Package "libcurl3-gnutls needs to be installed with kodi. Without it you can not connect to repositories or view system info (crashes kodi).
apt-get install ibcurl3-gnutls
Thanks for letting us know.
libcurl3 (curl) is installed by default on DietPi, but not libcurl3-gnutl. I'll add this to the installation code for Kodi.
Also, I get no sound in LXDE. I would like to avoid installing pulse if possible. Audio is working in kodi however.
Please check /etc/asound.conf matches: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/ ... #L779-L790.

Also:
- Have you tried testing audio with speaker-test -c 2 ?
- Which programs are you using within LXDE that don't provide any sound?

Takenover83

Post by Takenover83 »

Confirmed, matches up with the version on git. I was testing some youtube in chromium. Also the volume applet in lxde would not let me add to the taskbar till I installed pulse.

root@DietPi:~# speaker-test -c 2

speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 16 to 8192
Period size range from 8 to 4096
Using max buffer size 8192
Periods = 4
Unable to set hw params for playback: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

Takenover83 wrote:Also the volume applet in lxde would not let me add to the taskbar till I installed pulse.
As expected, there is no hardware volume control for hdmi output. Pulse creates internal software mixers prior to output.

Unable to set hw params for playback: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
Due to a kernel update that removes the need for the workaround asound.conf. As 0:0 is the default device for alsa (without specifying a device), we can remove the asound.conf

rm /etc/asound.conf
Now we have working sound through ALSA:

root@DietPi:~# speaker-test -c 2

speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 32 to 16384
Period size range from 16 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
^C 1 - Front Right
Time per period = 1.037280

Takenover83

Post by Takenover83 »

Thanks. That seems to bring sound in just fine.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

Takenover83 wrote:Thanks. That seems to bring sound in just fine.
Excellent.

Both fixes for the C2 will be patched in the next DietPi update (v126): https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/milestone/27?closed=1

Anro
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: odroid c2

Post by Anro »

I am facing a strange issue with video.
Right after reboot moonlight and kodi work fine. Started by

xinit kodi
and simple

moonlight stream
from console (no DE installed)
Then, after playing specific video in kodi (not all videos cause the issue) and further x session termination, I can not use moonlight anymore. There is a black screen instead of video.
Reboot fixes the issue until I play something in kodi again =\

I appreciate any suggestions on where can I look into..
Thank you

meveric

Post by meveric »

Kodi and moonlight use the same video layer. Both do a blank of these layers at one point or the other.
I guess every now and then they don't like what they do to eachother.
try

echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank
echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank
if it happens again. Maybe that can fix it.

Anro

Post by Anro »

meveric, unfortunately, this solution does not help.
The issue is easily reproducible:
  • 1. install diet pi, install all upgrades
    2. install kodi from diet pi interface
    3. install latest moonlight (2.2.1-3+deb8) from the repo described here http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5908
    4. start kodi by running startkodi script bundled in diet pi. Equivalent: xinit kodi-standalone
    5. play some video. see exact characteristics below
    6. exit kodi with either menu option or by terminating X
    7. start moonlight

moonlight stream -1080 -bitrate 30000 192.168.10.6
    8. there will be a black screen instead of video
If you skip steps 4,5,6 moonlight works just fine.

kernel: Linux DietPi 3.14.65+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jul 14 07:59:44 CEST 2016 aarch64 GNU/Linux

this video causes the issue with 100% probability:
mediainfo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144 ... ve.avi.txt
file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144 ... rdrive.avi

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Post by crashoverride »

Try this command before starting moonlight:

# Enable alpha layer (show video)
echo "d01068b4 0x3fc0" | sudo tee /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 49#p129045

meveric

Post by meveric »

ah yes I forgot about this. The Alpha hack which still exists although it's said to be solved :D
It's rather easy to trigger if you have a DE installed.. Switch to VT and back to desktop -> Alpha issue ;)
And I guess since Kodi starts a X server to be started, going back to the console already triggers the alpha issue.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

moonlight:
Am I right in thinking this allows users to stream games on their PC to an Odroid, or any GPU accelerated SBC? https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moo ... ree/master
How have I not heard of this before? :(

It looks like this is only available for Nvidia GPU's, won't work on AMD? https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moo ... quirements

Does anyone know if there is any other opensource projects out there, similar to moonlight? Maybe one powered by C++, rather than Java?

Takenover83

Post by Takenover83 »

I just started testing moonlight. It seems to work but loads behind the desktop. I see the video behind, and on top are my desktop icons and taskbar. Same behavior in lxde and mate, loaded via lightdm. Any solutions?

meveric

Post by meveric »

Fourdee wrote:Am I right in thinking this allows users to stream games on their PC to an Odroid, or any GPU accelerated SBC? https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moo ... ree/master
Kinda, there are limitations to that, for example the NVIDIA GPU, and also power and capabilities of the board you want to stream it too.
Fourdee wrote:How have I not heard of this before? :(
Good question, we're using it for quite a while now: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=15456 Today it's exactly 1 year on the forum :D
And even before when it was still called "limelight" instead of moonlight, we were still discussing and working on it.
Fourdee wrote:It looks like this is only available for Nvidia GPU's, won't work on AMD? https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moo ... quirements
Nope it won't work on AMD GPUs and not even all NVidia GPUs will work either. This is a feature that was introduced for the NVidia Shield (the very first one):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cls-XXfNmLM[/youtube]
please note, that this video is 3 years old ;)
Someone reverse engineered this technique and released it as "limelight" for other PCs and later on for android and RPi.
Now that we started to work on it we now have a general SDL2/OpenGL ES based renderer (thanks to AreaScout) as well as a renderer for AmLogic (thanks to crashoverride) as well and with that are the first device (aside from the new official nvidia shield) that can stream in H265 (HEVC).
Fourdee wrote:Does anyone know if there is any other opensource projects out there, similar to moonlight?
Not directly, another technique that is not limited to any GPU is called Steam-In-House-Streaming and can be used with Steam, but since Steam is not Open Source this technique is not available.
It seems they plan to port it to ARM devices, but probably for an Android based OS of their own.
There is another very promising project, what I haven't been able to get to work yet. In fact it's used in Wine and is called "VirtualGL". It allows to redirect OpenGL output and therefore "remote OpenGL".
Means the output of an OpenGL application can be rendered on a different OpenGL device, while the programm is still processed on the original PC.
It "should" work with GLshim, but I wasn't able to get it to work up to now, our friends from the OpenPandora forum did get it to work though:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHlX9Dr-uq8[/youtube]
Fourdee wrote:Maybe one powered by C++, rather than Java?
The old limelight version was powered by Java, moonlight is written in C that's why we were able to port it to the ODROIDs at all, cause previously there were a lot of prebuild binaries and a lot of dirty RPi code that was in Java and prevented us from using the code.
What we use right now is all C https://github.com/AreaScout/moonlight-embedded

meveric

Post by meveric »

Takenover83 wrote:I just started testing moonlight. It seems to work but loads behind the desktop. I see the video behind, and on top are my desktop icons and taskbar. Same behavior in lxde and mate, loaded via lightdm. Any solutions?
You probably miss some permissions for moonlight, on my image these permissions are part of /etc/rc.local but they probably are missing on DietPi, since they are normally not needed for anything else besides Moonlight.
Moonlight normally "blanks" the desktop and everything running in the background before starting to stream. But if it's missing the permissions for that, it won't work correctly.

Anro

Post by Anro »

crashoverride wrote:Try this command before starting moonlight:

# Enable alpha layer (show video)
echo "d01068b4 0x3fc0" | sudo tee /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 49#p129045
This does not work either. I saw this hack in debian topic and already tried it.
Takenover83 wrote:I just started testing moonlight. It seems to work but loads behind the desktop. I see the video behind, and on top are my desktop icons and taskbar. Same behavior in lxde and mate, loaded via lightdm. Any solutions?
Had the same issue with official Ubuntu, that was the reason for switching to no DE solution. Did not try it on DietPi however.

Takenover83

Post by Takenover83 »

meveric wrote:
You probably miss some permissions for moonlight, on my image these permissions are part of /etc/rc.local but they probably are missing on DietPi, since they are normally not needed for anything else besides Moonlight.
Moonlight normally "blanks" the desktop and everything running in the background before starting to stream. But if it's missing the permissions for that, it won't work correctly.
This is my current rc.local (lots of permission for kodi). Let me know if you see something that needs added.

#!/bin/sh -e
/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-services start
/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-banner 0
echo " Default Login:\n Username = root\n Password = dietpi\n"
echo 16 > /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
chmod 666 /dev/amstream*
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/axis
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/screen_mode
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/disable_video
chmod 666 /sys/class/tsync/pts_pcrscr
chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
# chmod 666 /sys/class/ppmgr/ppmgr_3d_mode
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
chmod 666 /sys/class/display/mode
echo none > /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger
exit 0

meveric

Post by meveric »

you also need:

chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank
chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank

berdux

Post by berdux »

I just tried to raise the resolution to 2160p from dietpi-config (got new TV xD) but the tv says that there is no signal..
By editing the boot.ini manually i had no luck, as it gets overwritten with the previous values

On maveric's image, i edited the boot.ini and gave an other refresh rate than 60Hz (specificaly 24Hz) and it worked..

How can i change manually the resolution refresh rate on dietpi?

Takenover83

Post by Takenover83 »

meveric wrote:you also need:

chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank
chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank
Thanks meveric, that got it working (long as I don't run kodi before hand, issue mentioned above by Anro).

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Post by crashoverride »

Takenover83 wrote:that got it working (long as I don't run kodi before hand, issue mentioned above by Anro).
I wonder if this issue is related to the same issue reported for OpenELEC. Kodi may be changing some codec sysfs entries that interfere with operation.

Anro

Post by Anro »

crashoverride wrote:
Takenover83 wrote:that got it working (long as I don't run kodi before hand, issue mentioned above by Anro).
I wonder if this issue is related to the same issue reported for OpenELEC. Kodi may be changing some codec sysfs entries that interfere with operation.
Looks so, but probably not kodi itself, as just starting and switching it off does not cause the issue. And as I mentioned above, not all videos do.

Anro

Post by Anro »

Takenover83 wrote: This is my current rc.local (lots of permission for kodi). Let me know if you see something that needs added.

#!/bin/sh -e
/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-services start
/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-banner 0
echo " Default Login:\n Username = root\n Password = dietpi\n"
echo 16 > /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
chmod 666 /dev/amstream*
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/axis
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/screen_mode
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/disable_video
chmod 666 /sys/class/tsync/pts_pcrscr
chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
# chmod 666 /sys/class/ppmgr/ppmgr_3d_mode
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
chmod 666 /sys/class/display/mode
echo none > /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger
exit 0
Where did you get all that stuff?) I do not have anything there =)

Takenover83

Post by Takenover83 »

Spread out across this forum :D
Kodi would not use hardware acceleration without the amvideo permissions.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

berdux wrote:I just tried to raise the resolution to 2160p from dietpi-config (got new TV xD) but the tv says that there is no signal..
By editing the boot.ini manually i had no luck, as it gets overwritten with the previous values

On maveric's image, i edited the boot.ini and gave an other refresh rate than 60Hz (specificaly 24Hz) and it worked..

How can i change manually the resolution refresh rate on dietpi?
DietPi mounts configuration files and some scripts to Ramdisk during boot, improves DietPi performance and reduces SDwrites.
If you want to manually modify the boot.ini file, you will need to edit file located here:

/DietPi/boot.ini
There should be a visible notification of this when editing the file from either location:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/ ... .ini#L1-L2

I'll also add multiple resolutions and refresh rates to DietPi-Config for next release:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/469
Last edited by Fourdee on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote:
Fourdee wrote:Maybe one powered by C++, rather than Java?
The old limelight version was powered by Java, moonlight is written in C that's why we were able to port it to the ODROIDs at all, cause previously there were a lot of prebuild binaries and a lot of dirty RPi code that was in Java and prevented us from using the code.
What we use right now is all C https://github.com/AreaScout/moonlight-embedded
Thanks Mereric, fantastic read :)
NVIDIA GPU
Well, thats the end of that, AMD HD7770, gutted :( I'll add a GTX 750 to my Santa's xmas list lol.

Return to “Other OS”