[OS] Debian Jessie (arm64)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

[OS] Debian Jessie (arm64)

Unread post by meveric » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:25 am

Please Note: This image is no longer supported, as many projects moved away from supporting Debian Jessie for arm64, it's not possible to support Debian Jessie any longer in a meaningful way. Please use Debian Stretch instead.

Here's a very minimal Debian Jessie image for the ODROID C2.

It's a headless server image only with user root. But it has all my repositories included, which allows for easy installation and updates of packages such as Kernel and Headers, or Kodi, EmulationStation and other packages.

The image has my usual setup: means on first boot it's resizing the rootfs partition and configures SSH. It will automatically reboot after the initial setup after which this image is ready to use.
Kernel and headers are already installed if you need to build your own drivers.
A few basic tools such as ntp, htop, mc, vim and bash-completion are already installed for your convenience.

Download: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Jes ... -C2.img.xz
Size compressed: 119MB
Size uncompressed: 679 MB

Default Login: root
Default Password: odroid

It's ready to be used as a server image.

First things first:
Since there's constantly new development for this image and ODROIDs in general the First thing you should do after the image is up and running is to install all updates:

Code: Select all

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
How to convert the image into a Desktop image:
The image can easily converted into a full Desktop image looking similar to this:

I created a setup tool that's already preinstalled:

setup-odroid
Which should easily allow you to install a Desktop Environment.

You can also use it to install Kodi with Hardware acceleration.

If you find any bugs please let me know
Have fun :)

Hints:
Changing language:
If you install a Desktop environment you should already have keybord-configuration installed, it will ask upon the first installation what keyboard layout it should use.
This configuration is for your X11 Desktop so you have your desired keyboard layout.
For console you need to install console-setup to do the same, so just in case:

apt-get install console-setup keyboard-configuration
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
should be all that is needed to change your keyboard layout.
You probably want to set timezone as well

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
Sound Delay in Pulse-Audio:
If you experience sound delay in applications this might be due to the use of pulseaudio, i found installing a newer version of pulseaudio can fix that

apt-get install -t jessie-backports pulseaudio
Installing Chromium Webbrowser (with hardware acceleration):

apt-get install chromium
You will need to configure 3D acceleration for yourself.
Therefore you need to create a config file under /etc/chromium.d/ and add the following line:

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096"
DVB support:
I've package a lot of Kernel modules that allow you to use DVB devices such as USB-DVB sticks, you can install them with:

apt-get install media-tree-odroid
=====================================================
Development notes:
ODROID C2 is something "new" and as the C1 when it first came out it still has a lot of issues, that needs to be solved.
There is one statement from @odroid in the About ODROID-C2 thread that I'm not willing to agree with:
odroid wrote: Side notes:
1. There is no SPI bus on the C2. The S905 SoC doesn’t have it. So many SPI based add-on boards are not compatible with C2.
2. There is no on-board RTC. The S905 SoC doesn’t have it. We will consider making an add-on board.
3. The wrong alpha-blending issue has been fixed in the S905. So we don’t need to use the DDX blending any more.
4. The public version of the S905 Datasheet will be released in March or April hopefully. We are checking the firm schedule.
5. Ubuntu 16.04(LTS) ARM64 has some missing packages i.e., Chromium. It seems to have some compiling/linking issue with 64bit gcc/glibc.
6. Ubuntu/Linux Mali GPU driver works only on the fbdev at this moment. X11 Mali drivers will be available in March or April.
7. OS images and build guides are available in our WiKi. http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:odroid-c2
3. The wrong alpha-blending issue has been fixed in the S905. So we don’t need to use the DDX blending any more.
I don't think that is really "solved"

First time I tried I encountered the same Alpha issue as it exists on the C1, and was surprised why it's working on the HardKernel image.
Later I found a script that HardKernel uses to "fix" that issue:

#!/bin/bash
for x in $(cat /proc/cmdline); do
        case ${x} in
                m_bpp=*) export bpp=${x#*=} ;;
        esac
done

if [ "$bpp" = "32" ]; then
        echo d01068b4 0x7fc0 > /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr
fi
Only this "hack" is what makes 32bit working on the Desktop. I'm not 100% sure what this hack really does, but it's not a clean fix.

If I use this "hack" and start Kodi in 32bit, I can NOT watch a movie in Kodi. The video frame will stay completely black. So there seems to be something really "fishy" with this.
If I do NOT use this "hack" from HardKernel the Desktop has the Alpha issue, but I can watch Kodi just fine.

So I don't think this really fixes the Alpha Issue.

Also I had a lot of trouble, getting sound correctly to work, and I'm not sure if it's really stable.
I also had to add a lot of groups to a new user, to actually get Kodi and other programs to work with mouse and keyboard.

Fbdev drivers are a new challenge as well. I probably have to work around a lot of issue relating the use of Desktop and fbdev programs.
Still it's working for now.

Another challenge is the arm64 architecture. Only a few projects support arm64 many of which we are used to use do not. Chromium, many retroarch libretro cores, and tons of other programs do not support arm64 yet. Which makes it hard, yes even impossible to get certain programs to run.

Anyway, you should follow my topic about new releases and packages for the ODROID C2, packages will be flagged with ":arm64" if they are for C2 and arm64.

If you have wishes for what packages I should compile for the C2, let me know and I can switch priorities on packages to port, depending on the your wishes.
Last edited by meveric on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

memeka
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie (arm64)

Unread post by memeka » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:51 am

why don't you leave the hack on, and modify kodi script to echo val1 val2 > /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr where val1 and val2 you read on your unhacked image?
you should be able to switch instantly between the modes ...
when you exit kodi you can echo back the values in the script ...
so even if it's with 2 hacks, you can have the best of both worlds :)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:03 am

I thought the same thing as memeka, but I'm more curious what that is doing.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:44 am

meveric wrote:Later I found a script that HardKernel uses to "fix" that issue
OMG! You found it! I have been asking about that in other threads.
[edit]Could you please tell me where you found it?

Its purpose should be to switch the video mode from RGBA to RGBX (alpha ignored). There should be another value you can issue to switch it back. You will probably need to wrap Kodi or other video apps in script to set/unset that video mode.

I am guessing the first parameter is the address and the second is the value to write. If you can read back that address before setting it, you should have the value to use to restore the video mode.

[edit]
The above sounds confusing so let me elaborate.
When the C2 boots, it has the same video mode as the C1: RGBA. The alpha is transparency that allows the video layer behind the framebuffer to show through. PC's do not have this, they use a RGBX mode. In RGBX it does not matter what the alpha value is, the display controller always interprets it to be opaque. The reason for its existence over just RGB mode is memory alignment. RGBX makes each pixel 4 byte aligned and faster to access by 32bit hardware.

What is needed is to read the register value (a datasheet would be better!) and record the value. The value should correspond to RGBA mode (for 32bit framebuffer only).

For things like Kodi that depend on alpha to show the video layer beneath, you will need to set the RGBA mode value and then return to RGBX mode on exit (that would be the 'hack' part).
Last edited by crashoverride on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

XeoSal
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2 & XU4

Unread post by XeoSal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:52 am

crashoverride wrote: OMG! You found it! I have been asking about that in other threads.
[edit]Could you please tell me where you found it?

Its purpose should be to switch the video mode from RGBA to RGBX (alpha ignored). There should be another value you can issue to switch it back. You will probably need to wrap Kodi or other video apps in script to set/unset that video mode.

I am guessing the first parameter is the address and the second is the value to write. If you can read back that address before setting it, you should have the value to use to restore the video mode.
Everything is provided since the very fist day on @mdrjr git:
https://github.com/mdrjr/c2_bootini

My image had this integrated already when I released it.

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread post by mdrjr » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:32 am

You don't need to call it from Kodi.

This only applies then you are runing 32bit bpp on Linux and for non EGL stuff too.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:40 am

@mdrjr, How do you un-set it once it has been set?

I have been going through the kernel source code and can not find a clear answer. I does not appear to be an actual video mode. The register address space is allocated to the VPU. What is the value of the register before the script changes it?

mdrjr
Site Admin

Unread post by mdrjr » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:42 am

crashoverride wrote:@mdrjr, How do you un-set it once it has been set?

I have been going through the kernel source code and can not find a clear answer. I does not appear to be an actual video mode. The register address space is allocated to the VPU. What is the value of the register before the script changes it?
To be honest with you.. We have no idea either :( Since there's no documentation about that register.

Can you explain why you want to go back?

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:54 am

mdrjr wrote:Can you explain why you want to go back?
For video programs like the nvidia gamestreaming thing I did and kodi, I have to currently prevent that from running. This means disabling the GUI entirely. Even exiting the GUI with "sudo service lightdm stop" will leave that mode set so my video program can not been seen even while just running a console.

I need to be able to set/reset that register so I do not have to disable the GUI entirely from systemd and reboot.

[Edit]
Once that mode is set, its impossible to use any video programs without rebooting and preventing it from being set.

mdrjr
Site Admin

Unread post by mdrjr » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:57 am

nope, just disable lightdm for now and start it manually when you need.

systemctl disable lightdm
As lightdm is running that code :)

We'll ask to AMlogic how to return back :)

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:05 pm

mdrjr wrote:We'll ask to AMlogic how to return back
Thanks. That will be needed for Kodi X11 in the future.

The register we need to read is 0xd01068b4. To read it we can use:
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blo ... omap.c#L60

This shows its in the VPU IO range:
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blo ... _ops.c#L74

I was hoping there was a simple sysfs entry somewhere that could read it. I will investigate further.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:42 pm

odroid@odroid64:~$ sudo bash
root@odroid64:~# echo d01068b4 > /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr
root@odroid64:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr
[0xd01068b4] = 0xFF3FC0
root@odroid64:~# service lightdm start
root@odroid64:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr
[0xd01068b4] = 0xCF7FC0
[edit]
I confirmed this restores the video operation:

echo d01068b4 0x3fc0 > /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:06 pm

ok, I added two more rules to /etc/rc.local
chmod 755 /sys/kernel/debug
and
chmod 666 /sys/kernel/debug/aml_reg/paddr

With that i can modify the kodi starter script to switch between the two settings. And get Kodi to work.

I found another issue. Kodi only seems to work in 1080p at the moment, if I start it in 720p or 800p the picture will be distorted.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

OverSun

Unread post by OverSun » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Are you using vanilla kodi, or the one from my repo?
Because vanilla kodi had a bug, where resolution was hardcoded to be 720p on amlogics. Since not a lot of people used it that way (on linux on amlogic) before C1 nobody cared. People started after and started to complain and you know what they did to fix it? Hardcoded it to 1080p! Bingo! Golden solution award, fixer of the year nominee.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/maste ... ic.cpp#L87

PS. My repo kodi takes the resolution from fbdev properties.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:00 pm

I'm using your repo as usual.

Still graphics only work in 1080p for me. I tried 1280x720 and 1280x800 both were distorted.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Goerlitzer
languages_spoken: English, German
ODROIDs: ODROID X2, XU, XU3, C1

Unread post by Goerlitzer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Thank you very much for your Debian Image! It's running fine on my XU3. I'm just installing on your C2 image the Mate desktop (on a quick SD card). Needs hours to install. On htop the process uses only around 2.5 %. But I had the same issue with the offical hardkernel Ubuntu image...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:06 pm

That process is not CPU driven but depends on your network speed for download, and later the speed of your SD/eMMC card to install.

It actually takes only about 10mins for me to install it on a eMMC, but depending on the SD card you use, this can take significantly longer.

Fourdee
ODROIDs: C1 / C2 / XU4 + Cloudshell.

Unread post by Fourdee » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:25 am

Great work meveric as always, creating excellent Debian images for Odroids.

Now I just have to wait for my C2 to arrive, then I'll give this OS a spin :)
http://DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Odroid.
DietPi web hosting is powered by http://MyVirtualServer.com

barkingspyder
ODROIDs: c2

Unread post by barkingspyder » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:29 am

meveric - I installed the desktop, chose to not install the "hack", selected 24 bit color. I then rebooted, and installed kodi. All using the setup-odroid script you wrote.

I can now log in to the terminal using the new user or the user "root" you created. However, at this point the OS does not recognize the 'startx' command to start the Mate desktop. Can you tell me if I am doing something wrong?

root@odroid-jessie64: # startx
-bash: startx: command not found
Thank you. :mrgreen:

mentin
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C2

Unread post by mentin » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:08 am

Really nice work from you ;)
On my Kodi the CEC dont work. Is there a driver missing?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:02 am

barkingspyder wrote:meveric - I installed the desktop, chose to not install the "hack", selected 24 bit color. I then rebooted, and installed kodi. All using the setup-odroid script you wrote.

I can now log in to the terminal using the new user or the user "root" you created. However, at this point the OS does not recognize the 'startx' command to start the Mate desktop. Can you tell me if I am doing something wrong?

root@odroid-jessie64: # startx
-bash: startx: command not found
Thank you. :mrgreen:
Normally MATE should start on its own without the need to type "startx"
It's very uncommon that it still boots only into terminal only. Can you try the Desktop Installation again?
Also please do a system upgrade first:

I made new packages for kodi and setup-odroid.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:03 am

mentin wrote:Really nice work from you ;)
It's not installed, but should work if you install it:

apt-get install -t jessie-backports libcec

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:12 am

Update:
Ok, I've just uploaded two new packages kodi-odroid and setup-odroid have been updated.
Both include new patches to make Kodi work in X11 environments.
It should automatically switch the Desktop settings in 32bit mode so that Kodi works, and resets the setting after you quit Kodi.

It will also try to recover the screen by switching to VT1 and back to Desktop. That way you should be able to exit Kodi and are back on a "normal" Desktop.

So the idea. Hopefully it works correctly ;)

please do a system upgrade

after that please run setup-odroid again and choose to install Kodi (even if you done so before) it should apply the needed patches.

Looking forward to get some feedback on this :)

were55
languages_spoken: spanish
ODROIDs: waiting for Odroid-C2

Unread post by were55 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:22 am

Hi Meveric,

Just updated setup tool and kodi, and I still have some issues. I'm starting kodi from main terminal (without usgin desktop) running "kodi" command:

- Not audio, even in GUI
- When I exited from Kodi, the screen keeps blank.
- When I play a video (from SAMBA) sometimes I get a log in fron of movie, I have to press any key to take it out.

One question, how can I run kodi when OS is loaded? I added "@reboot kodi" in crontab but doesn't work.

thanks and congrat for your job.
UPDATE:
I installed desktop, now when I run kodi from there it has audio, but GUI audio is delayed for 1 sec (aprox) however in movies is in sync.
I added KODI to start automaticaly (after auot-login) and audio doesn't work in that way, even if I put a delay of 10 sec.
KODI is unstable, after run some external links sometimes back to desktop, other get freeze.

thanks
Last edited by were55 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mentin
languages_spoken: english, german

Unread post by mentin » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:54 am

meveric wrote:
mentin wrote:Really nice work from you ;)
It's not installed, but should work if you install it:

apt-get install -t jessie-backports libcec
Thank you but it dont work :/

it says:

root@odroid-jessie64:~# apt-get install -t jessie-backports libcec
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libcec

Whats missing?

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:57 pm

meveric wrote:It will also try to recover the screen by switching to VT1 and back to Desktop.
I am seeing this issue too so its not Kodi related. From a console using GLES, the screen does not recover when the program exits. I am not sure whether to call it a bug or not. Since we do not technically have a text mode, I think its legal behavior for EGL.

For Kodi, this problem should be resolved when X11 GLES drivers are available and the fbdev onces are no longer used.

avnbs

Unread post by avnbs » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:12 am

Thanks for the images. I will try these out on my C2s.

Do you have documentation/link on how to create minimal jessie image for C2? I did see debootstrap instructions for c1.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:00 am

same es for C1 just different architecture.
Kernel comes from HardKernel.. the procedure is always the same, no matter the board or achitecture.

avnbs

Unread post by avnbs » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:08 am

Thanks. Jessie works great.

lsvg

Unread post by lsvg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:08 am

Hi,

I did some testing with kodi (via fb).. and when I play a movie, there is sometimes shows output from console.. and sometimes console output stays on screen (after movie). It's nothing critical, just annoying :) (also there is blinking _ in left corner during playback)..

Do you have setup-odroid script on some github so everybody can contribute? There is missing package libnfs4 for NFS shares in Kodi for example :) and I am working on autostart of Kodi after boot.. so that would be great if I can put it back to you, so everybody can use it :)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:14 am

libnfs4 is no hard dependency on Kodi it works just fine without, that's why it's not a requirement.
The script doesn't need to be adjusted for it, neither does kodi. Same goes for autostart, if you have a desktop environment, just put the .desktop file into .config/autostart or select I autostart application from various Desktop Environments.

If you don't use a DE, you can always put it in /etc/rc.local or something similar.
Once again, it's not a hard requirement to have this.

If there's really a demand for it, I can easily adjust the install script with more questions to ask if that's something you want.

I'm actually thinking about publishing a Desktop Image for the C2 with Kodi and other applications preinstalled, so it can be included in that, where it makes more sense.

fbdev is far from being perfect and actually causes ALOT of issues. I just hope we get proper X11 drivers soon. That will solve tons of issues with different programs at the moment.

meotti

Unread post by meotti » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:22 am

I have this error after running "kodi" from terminal.
I installed kodi-droid package and have run "setup-odroid" to set up Kodi.
Kodi worked fine before with official Ubuntu image and XeoSal's package.

[  807.424967] codec:hevc_clock_set-----2
[  807.428902] codec:hevc_set_clk 0, 1
[  807.432745] codec:vdec_clock_set-----2
[  807.436528] codec:vdec1_set_clk 0, 1
[  807.440314] codec:vdec_clock_set 2 to 500
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
[  807.453579] kodi.bin[2084]: unhandled level 1 translation fault (11) at 0xfffffffffffff8, esr 0x92000005
[  807.461434] pgd = ffffffc05c109000
[  807.465230] [fffffffffffff8] *pgd=000000005b302003, *pmd=0000000000000000
[  807.474871]
[  807.478597] CPU: 3 PID: 2084 Comm: kodi.bin Not tainted 3.14.29+ #1
[  807.482979] task: ffffffc05b8d8c80 ti: ffffffc05c290000 task.ti: ffffffc05c290000
[  807.490391] PC is at 0x109910c
[  807.494112] LR is at 0x10990c4
[  807.497790] pc : [<000000000109910c>] lr : [<00000000010990c4>] pstate: a0000000
[  807.503736] sp : 0000007ff1a114c0
[  807.507478] x29: 0000007ff1a114c0 x28: 0000000001706410
[  807.515779] x27: 00000000017063b0 x26: 00000000016b8000
[  807.521025] x25: 00000000017063d8 x24: 0000000000000000
[  807.526285] x23: 000000000199c638 x22: 000000000199c5f0
[  807.531489] x21: 00000000016b5000 x20: 000000000171fd28
[  807.536698] x19: 000000000171fd18 x18: 0000007ff1a11300
[  807.541963] x17: 0000007f88ad8de8 x16: 00000000016be780
[  807.547143] x15: 0000007f86711588 x14: 69772074696e6920
[  807.552437] x13: ff00000000000000 x12: 0000000000000000
[  807.557653] x11: 0000000000000038 x10: 0000000000000000
[  807.562873] x9 : 1999999999999999 x8 : 0000000000000000
[  807.568078] x7 : ffffffffffffffff x6 : 00000000000000ff
[  807.573321] x5 : 0000000000000000 x4 : 0000007f86850150
[  807.578580] x3 : ffffffffffffffe8 x2 : fffffffffffffff8
[  807.583898] x1 : 00000000ffffffff x0 : 0000000000000001
[  807.589157]
Segmentation fault
/usr/local/bin/kodi: 193: [: -eq: unexpected operator
/usr/local/bin/kodi: 199: /usr/local/bin/kodi: Syntax error: "fi" unexpected
UPD: I can now see the GUI, after adding myself to video group, have to figure out which groups to add for keyboard to work then...
UPD: I can now use the keyboard, but have trouble with sound and text appearing on screen during playback. I only hear some hissing at the moment Kodi starts and then it's completely quiet... User is added to video, audio and input groups. Excuse my ignorance.
Last edited by meotti on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:39 am

please make sure to update the image. I updated setup-odroid to take care of all the dependencies for Kodi.

means

su -
setup-odroid
then choose to install Kodi and let it do it's thing.

If you created a "normal" user using the setup-odroid, all the groups required to run and control Kodi are set automatically.

lsvg

Unread post by lsvg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:40 am

meveric wrote:libnfs4 is no hard dependency on Kodi it works just fine without, that's why it's not a requirement.
The script doesn't need to be adjusted for it, neither does kodi. Same goes for autostart, if you have a desktop environment, just put the .desktop file into .config/autostart or select I autostart application from various Desktop Environments.
*dooh* .. yea, its not hardcoded, but its for good user experience.. people want to work that out of box, not debugging why they cannot access nfs shares from kodi ;)
meotti wrote: /usr/local/bin/kodi: 193: [: -eq: unexpected operator
[/code]
about this error.. there is mistake in code (if is there twice I think)..
meotti wrote: UPD: I can now see the GUI, after adding myself to video group, have to figure out which groups to add for keyboard to work then...
[/code]
Best is create user via setup-odroid (for example kodi user) and then run kodi.. its working as should on my c2..

(anyway, groups are adm cdrom sudo audio video input - and I think input does the trick)

meotti

Unread post by meotti » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:52 am

Everything is updated, all five groups included.
I still don't hear any sound... I'm not sure what this software expects, maybe I should have pulseaudio?

lsvg

Unread post by lsvg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:55 am

What output do you have selected in Kodi? I didnt actually test sound yet, but have it in plans for tomorrow

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:58 am

lsvg wrote:*dooh* .. yea, its not hardcoded, but its for good user experience.. people want to work that out of box, not debugging why they cannot access nfs shares from kodi ;)
I can add it to the install routine of Kodi. After all we just started with this :)
lsvg wrote:
meotti wrote: /usr/local/bin/kodi: 193: [: -eq: unexpected operator
[/code]
about this error.. there is mistake in code (if is there twice I think)..
Yeah there's quite a lot of dirty hacks required to get Kodi to work properly on Desktop. The code I added only works when setup-odroid is up to date. It does a lof of comparing if this run or not. It's not very clean at the moment. Normally I would make it more solid, but it took long enough to get up with what I got now. It has to take care of a lot of exceptions, checking if lightdm is running, checking if the 32bit hack was applied and so on.

meotti

Unread post by meotti » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:58 am

It says "Default ODROID-HDMI S/PDIF"

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:02 am

meotti wrote:Everything is updated, all five groups included.
I still don't hear any sound... I'm not sure what this software expects, maybe I should have pulseaudio?
yes it seems pulseaudio is needed you also have to make sure that the correct audio device is selected for pulseaudio.
To be honest, Kodi runs best if you have a Desktop Installed

meotti

Unread post by meotti » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:10 am

Really, everything works with Desktop installed.
Only notification sounds that follow a key press are a little late.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:52 pm

yep I noticed that too, the sound of Videos seems to be fine though.

I hope in a little while we get some configs/patches for sound cause there are many other issues with sound as well.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Nice work thus far meveric, I need to find an SD card and give it a whirl.

lsvg

Unread post by lsvg » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:12 am

So I did some test with DE and it really looks much better :)

Could you just then update first post with following for best kodi experience?

1) Create user kodi via setup-odroid
2) install LXDE via setup-odroid
3) then Kodi via setup-odroid (if you can add libnfs4 to kodi installation, it would be great!)

If you want to have kodi after start:
1) edit file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and put this under #[Seat:0]:

[Seat:*]
autologin-user=kodi
2) go system - preferences - startup applications - hit add - name: kodi - command: /usr/local/bin/kodi

3) reboot :)

Edit: I did not get hdmi-cec to work.. trying to find out what is wrong, but I dont have time today to debug it much..

meotti

Unread post by meotti » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 am

Auto-starting /usr/local/bin/kodi here breaks sound forever (until reboot). It also breaks tty switch after Kodi exits and I can't do anything locally until I restart lightdm remotely.
I had to add a 10-second delay with this command instead:
bash -c "sleep 10; exec /usr/local/bin/kodi"

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:22 am

lsvg wrote:So I did some test with DE and it really looks much better :)

When you install a DE you will get asked if you want to create a user. So why not use that instead of creating the user upfront?
lsvg wrote: 3) then Kodi via setup-odroid (if you can add libnfs4 to kodi installation, it would be great!)
I will add it in the next update :)
lsvg wrote: If you want to have kodi after start:
1) edit file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and put this under #[Seat:0]:

[Seat:*]
autologin-user=kodi
under [SeatDeafaults]
There's already an outcommented line with autologin-user=
you just need to remove the "#" Symbol and add the user you want to auto login :)
lsvg wrote: 2) go system - preferences - startup applications - hit add - name: kodi - command: /usr/local/bin/kodi
Another way is to create a folder /home/<USER>/.config/autostart and copy the kodi.desktop file in that folder -> cp /use/local/share/applications/kodi.desktop /home/<USER>/.config/autostart/
(replace <USER> with the user you created)
lsvg wrote: Edit: I did not get hdmi-cec to work.. trying to find out what is wrong, but I dont have time today to debug it much..
There was a note to that on another forum, it seems HardKernel forget the cec option in boot.ini file:

setenv cec "cecf"
setenv bootargs "root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 rootwait rw ${condev} no_console_suspend hdmitx=${cec} hdmimode=${m} m_bpp=${m_bpp} vout=${vout} fsck.fix=yes net.ifnames=0"
I'll try to add this as a patch as well, but I'm not sure if this works. In fact I don't even see a CEC device registered under /dev/ so I don't think that works at the moment.

were55

Unread post by were55 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:42 am

meotti wrote:Auto-starting /usr/local/bin/kodi here breaks sound forever (until reboot). It also breaks tty switch after Kodi exits and I can't do anything locally until I restart lightdm remotely.
I had to add a 10-second delay with this command instead:
Hi Meotti, where did you add such command? thanks

lsvg

Unread post by lsvg » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:30 pm

meotti wrote:Auto-starting /usr/local/bin/kodi here breaks sound forever (until reboot). It also breaks tty switch after Kodi exits and I can't do anything locally until I restart lightdm remotely.
I had to add a 10-second delay Yea, create user before, with this command instead:
Sound works for me and I dont have sleep there.. interesting, but if it breaks, i know what is wrong :)
meveric wrote:
lsvg wrote:So I did some test with DE and it really looks much better :)

When you install a DE you will get asked if you want to create a user. So why not use that instead of creating the user upfront?
Totally forget about that.. :)
meveric wrote:
lsvg wrote: 2) go system - preferences - startup applications - hit add - name: kodi - command: /usr/local/bin/kodi
Another way is to create a folder /home/<USER>/.config/autostart and copy the kodi.desktop file in that folder -> cp /use/local/share/applications/kodi.desktop /home/<USER>/.config/autostart/
(replace <USER> with the user you created)
Good, than it can be a next option in setup-odroid :)
meveric wrote:
lsvg wrote: Edit: I did not get hdmi-cec to work.. trying to find out what is wrong, but I dont have time today to debug it much..
There was a note to that on another forum, it seems HardKernel forget the cec option in boot.ini file:

setenv cec "cecf"
setenv bootargs "root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 rootwait rw ${condev} no_console_suspend hdmitx=${cec} hdmimode=${m} m_bpp=${m_bpp} vout=${vout} fsck.fix=yes net.ifnames=0"
I'll try to add this as a patch as well, but I'm not sure if this works. In fact I don't even see a CEC device registered under /dev/ so I don't think that works at the moment.
I saw it yesterday in ODROBIAN forum, I will try this today.. tv was occupied yesterday :)

meotti

Unread post by meotti » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:33 pm

were55 wrote: Hi Meotti, where did you add such command? thanks
It's in System - Preferences - Startup Applications.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 am

lsvg wrote:
meveric wrote:

setenv cec "cecf"
I saw it yesterday in ODROBIAN forum, I will try this today.. tv was occupied yesterday :)
I tried CEC yesterday it was working fine. I think CEC is always on on the C2, I just needed to select the CEC devices on my TV and it was working.
I believe that device was there right from the start, even back then when I haven't even used a desktop yet.

were55

Unread post by were55 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:20 am

meotti wrote:
were55 wrote: Hi Meotti, where did you add such command? thanks
It's in System - Preferences - Startup Applications.
thanks, works great, also I had to disabled screensaver because after a while kodi screen was flickering.

Return to “Other OS”