[OS] Debian Stretch

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread postby BadPritt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 pm

meveric wrote:Ok I think I'm done.
I've build over 110 cores.. got all the mame cores compiled as well.
This should be as good as it gets for arm64 right now, took me a couple of days, especially the mame cores took many hours.

Thank you. I've tried the new ones available yesterday. I've tried the old ones if there wasn't a new one for it. I'll try the other new ones too.

Many cores don't work well. But I've found some great working ones for the SEGA/Nintendo consoles. With these I had the best results. Still need to test some more.

NES - nestopia_libretro.so ++++
SNES - snes9x2010_libretro.so ++++
Mastersystem, Megadrive - genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so ++++
Playstation - pcsx_reqrmed_libretro.so(slow framerate) +
N64 - parallel_n64_libretro.so (not perfect) +

For me only mastersystem is important, and it's perfect :)
Super thanks, by the end of the week my video will be online.
BadPritt

languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 pm

BadPritt wrote:Many cores don't work well.

Can you tell me which ones you had issues with?
Sometimes it can be hard to get them to work, as they require BIOS files, or require specific content files, and if you don't know what they need the cores often just crash without info why.

BadPritt wrote:Playstation - pcsx_reqrmed_libretro.so(slow framerate) +
N64 - parallel_n64_libretro.so (not perfect) +

Both require dynamic recompiler (JIT) to be efficient, but there are no dynamic recompiler for arm64, which means everything is extremely slow.
There's nothing that can be done and it's not the only system that has these issues. NDS, or Sega 32x should be the same.

BadPritt wrote:Super thanks, by the end of the week my video will be online.

Interested to see that, although I don't like the C2 as a gaming platform. There are far better ODROIDs for this (the XU4 for example).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby BadPritt » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 am

meveric wrote:Both require dynamic recompiler (JIT) to be efficient, but there are no dynamic recompiler for arm64, which means everything is extremely slow.
There's nothing that can be done and it's not the only system that has these issues. NDS, or Sega 32x should be the same.

With the ones that do work well there are already thousands of games available. So I think it will be fine like this.

meveric wrote:Interested to see that, although I don't like the C2 as a gaming platform. There are far better ODROIDs for this (the XU4 for example).

The great thing with the C2 is it's versatile. It's always been my favorite because it does everything well what I need. It's my laptop. I take it with me when traveling thru Europe with my bicycle in the Summer.
It's power efficient so I can run it with power banks/solar energy. It doesn't overheat, so I don't need a fan (when it's cold in a tent you don't want extra airflow). It's fast enough to render 720p video.
It's perfect to browse the web, watch youtube. It's stable, ....

I could not use the XU4 for that. I also only use it for gaming.
After I bought the C2(and rpi2b) I thought all SBC's were this good. I watched a lot of youtube videos about different sbc's, and then bought them.
To then notice that they were not what they said.
Clockspeeds were not right, they don't check it. They don't mension temperatures. Most don't say the energy consumption. The benchmarks they use are totally useless. And most make their video a few days after they've received the board so they know almost nothing about it.

That's why I started making these video's. Because I needed the info myself, so I could at least share it. Also why I don't have a video about the C2.
Now I get free boards from FriendlyElec and another company. So it payed off.

The NanoPi M4 is the first board that's really an improvement to my C2. I can finally render in 1080p.
The others are too slow, overheat too quickly, or just have bad software. I'm glad I found the C2 when I needed it. It has served me well. With any other board I would have had a lot of trouble.
Thanks to the community from Odroid.

When I was young I was a computer freak. I started working professionally as a programmer when I turned just 15 (1998). When I was 19 that company went broke. I lost my job, didn't have any school degree and could not find another programming job since thousands of programmers lost their job at that company(it was the biggest tech company in Belgium, Lernout and Hauspie or L&H)
After a while I lost all interest in computers. Now I found this back with SBC's. It's all new again, I never had worked with Linux, so I have to learn everything from scratch.

So thank you, and thanks to the Hardkernel team for giving me my passion back. With any other board it would have been hate instead of passion. Greetings
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:46 am

BadPritt wrote:The great thing with the C2 is it's versatile. It's always been my favorite because it does everything well what I need. It's my laptop. I take it with me when traveling thru Europe with my bicycle in the Summer.
It's power efficient so I can run it with power banks/solar energy. It doesn't overheat, so I don't need a fan (when it's cold in a tent you don't want extra airflow). It's fast enough to render 720p video.
It's perfect to browse the web, watch youtube. It's stable, ....

I could not use the XU4 for that. I also only use it for gaming.

See for me it's kinda the other way around. The C2 is too unstable for me, too sluggish especially on the desktop side, windows are too slow, running applications in 1080p is slower than 60 FPS and they start to lag quickly.
The XU4 on the other hand, is perfect as a Desktop replacement for me. It's fast enough for gaming and other things I do with the board.

But I can see the benefits of a system like the C2 and the way you use it. I can run a C1/U3/C2 easily for hours from a battery or use a solar panel as you said, but you can't do that with an XU4.
Still I love the extra performance of the XU4 and that's why it's my goto system and before that it was the ODROID U3, although much much older and in some cases slower than the C2, I preferred it over the C2 due to available software and stability. None other product from HardKernel ever was as stable and good designed as the Exynos 4 series (ODROID X/X2/U2/U3).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby BadPritt » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 am

meveric wrote:See for me it's kinda the other way around. The C2 is too unstable for me, too sluggish especially on the desktop side, windows are too slow, running applications in 1080p is slower than 60 FPS and they start to lag quickly.
The XU4 on the other hand, is perfect as a Desktop replacement for me. It's fast enough for gaming and other things I do with the board.

I used a 7" 1024x600 display on it. So with that it was perfect. Even 1080p youtube playback. I only noticed that it's slow in 1080p when I bought a 1080p display. So I had a lot of luck with my first purchases.

meveric wrote:But I can see the benefits of a system like the C2 and the way you use it. I can run a C1/U3/C2 easily for hours from a battery or use a solar panel as you said, but you can't do that with an XU4.
Still I love the extra performance of the XU4 and that's why it's my goto system and before that it was the ODROID U3, although much much older and in some cases slower than the C2, I preferred it over the C2 due to available software and stability. None other product from HardKernel ever was as stable and good designed as the Exynos 4 series (ODROID X/X2/U2/U3).

I never had the pleasure to know these boards. Back then I was totally ignorant about SBC's. A bit a shame that I'm never going to experience them.
It seems so strange that HK had way better boards than RPi for all this time, but still don't have the fame of RPi.
Odroid has a way better community tho. A lot more friendly and knowledgeable then RPi community.

I'll test some more cores. I'll let you know which ones don't work well. A lot of snes cores are slow. I'll let you know.
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:45 am

BadPritt wrote:I used a 7" 1024x600 display on it. So with that it was perfect. Even 1080p youtube playback. I only noticed that it's slow in 1080p when I bought a 1080p display. So I had a lot of luck with my first purchases.

Yes the problem with the C2 (and also the C1) is that it's very bad in scaling, the smaller the screen/desktop resolution the faster seems the board. glmark2-es in window mode is very fast, nearly 200 FPS but the same benchmark in full screen mode on a 1080p resolution is below 60 FPS. So it's very bad at "scaling".
The XU4 was the other way around.. Windowed applications in the past (especially on the 3.10 Kernel) had only 60~70 FPS, but the same application in full screen mode was running at 120 FPS (or more).
With the new Kernel 4.14 in addition with 2D window acceleration (G2D support) we suddenly even get 600~1000 FPS in Window mode and over 400 FPS in 1080p.
That's a huge difference and that's why the XU4 always "feels" better in gaming.

BadPritt wrote:I never had the pleasure to know these boards. Back then I was totally ignorant about SBC's. A bit a shame that I'm never going to experience them.

Some boards can still be bought over Ameridroid (every now and then). But the U3 is lacking good Kernel support (by default runs on Kernel 3.8), but there are upstream Kernels available as well, but I haven't had the chance to test them yet.

BadPritt wrote:It seems so strange that HK had way better boards than RPi for all this time, but still don't have the fame of RPi.

RPi has the "larger" community, more developers, a big company behind it, and was always extremely cheap. My First ODROID with accessories costed me about $200, compared to a RPi with only $50~80 including accessories that's a big difference. That the board was 9 times faster than the RPi was nothing people cared about, cause it was "expensive" and the community was "too small".

BadPritt wrote:I'll test some more cores. I'll let you know which ones don't work well. A lot of snes cores are slow. I'll let you know.

The BSNES cores aim to be as accurate as possible and are therefore often very slow compared to SNES9x cores. On a "modern PC" you don't care about this, you can run BSNES on a 3GHz amd64 CPU without an issue, but on ARM that's different :)
meveric

Unread postby BadPritt » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:06 am

Here's what I found.
Code: Select all
RetroArch Cores
---------------
      quicknes_libretro.so ++++
Mastersystem, Megadrive - nenesis_plus_gx_libretro.so ++++
Playstation - pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so(slow framerate) +
              mednafen_psx_libretro.so (could not load content)
N64 - parallel_n64_libretro.so (unstable framerate) ++
      mupen64_libretro.so (slow framerate) +++
GameBoy - gambatte_libretro.so (ok, sounds bad) +++
          gearboy_libretro.so (better) ++++
        emux_gb_libretro.so (failed to load content)
        tgbdual_libretro.so (good) +++

mednafen_snes - slow ++
bsnes_accuracy - slow +
bsnes_balanced - slow +
bsnes_performance - slow ++
snes9x... all good ++++

emuxnes - slow +
bnes - slow/some games bad sprites +
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 am

BadPritt wrote:mednafen_psx_libretro.so (could not load content)

mednafen_psx requires different BIOS files than the other core:
scph5500.bin
scph5501.bin
scph5502.bin
It also may not take the same files, try to load a .iso/.bin file directly rather than .cue for example (or the other way around).
BadPritt wrote:emux_gb_libretro.so (failed to load content)

The emux cores are also very hard to get to work, and normally they are terrible.
For emux_gb_libretro you need to have:
dmg_boot.bin or else it won't work... you should probably start retroarch with -v option to have more output, that one is actually shown :)
meveric

Unread postby BadPritt » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:12 am

meveric wrote:mednafen_psx requires different BIOS files than the other core:
scph5500.bin
scph5501.bin
scph5502.bin
It also may not take the same files, try to load a .iso/.bin file directly rather than .cue for example (or the other way around).

I downloaded them all. I get a black screen and nothing happens.

The other one I don't care about. There's a good alternative.
I think I'm done with my research. You mentioned not to change the boot.ini file for the cpu OC. How do I best do this?

Here again all the data.
Odroid C2 : Meveric Stretch
---------------------------
apt update && sudo apt upgrade
apt install usbutils
lsusb
setup-odroid -> Install alternative RT5572 Kernel (with ethernet connected)
reboot
iwconfig -> check name of wireless device wlan0/ra0/...
nano /etc/network/interfaces  -> add
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid myssid
    wpa-psk a1b2c3d4e5
reboot   
setup-odroid
Install Desktop

OC CPU
------
sudo nano /boot/boot.ini
or
sudo apt install geany
sudo geany -> open /boot/boot.ini

-> Change Max Frequency to 1.752 -> save

OC RAM
------
wget https://dn.odroid.com/S905/BootLoader/ODROID-C2/c2_update_ddrclk.sh
sudo chmod +x ./c2_update_ddrclk.sh
sudo ./c2_update_ddrclk.sh 1104
sudo reboot

Also installed
--------------
sudo apt install zram-odroid
sudo apt install lsb-release

sudo apt install chromium -> to enable hardware acceleration ->
sudo nano /etc/chromium.d/config   -> add
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096"
save
ln -sf /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/chromium/libGLESv2.so
ln -sf /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libEGL.so /usr/lib/chromium/libEGL.so

Vivaldi : wget https://downloads.vivaldi.com/snapshot/vivaldi-snapshot_1.15.1147.32-1_arm64.deb
Use gdebi package installer to install

Youtube playback
----------------
Chromium good 720p/10% lost frames - stutter at 1080p 33% lost frames
Vivaldi good 720p/Close to 0% - some stutter at 1080p/40% dropped frames
Firefox good 720p/Close to 0% - no 1080p - Bad browse experience

Linux Games
-----------
Armagetron +++
Astromenace ++
Cendric +
CG Madness +++
Critical Mass +
Friking Shark ++
Gigalomania ?
GL-117 +++
Hedgewars ++++
Hurrican ++
Hydra Castle Labyrinth
OpenOMF ++++ (tournements not working, works in DOSBox)
RVGL +++++
SHMUP ++
SuperTux 2 ++++
SuperTuxCart ++++
UFO Alien Invasion ? (looks great, complicated)

Neverball + Neverputt +++++ -> to make them work
sudo apt install monolibs-odroid
sudo nano /usr/local/bin/neverball_start -> /usr/local/lib to /usr/local/lib/monolibs / the same for neverputt_start

GzDoom +++++ -> copy .wad file from original game to -> /home/odroid/.config/gzdoom

RetroArch Cores
---------------
      quicknes_libretro.so ++++
Mastersystem, Megadrive - nenesis_plus_gx_libretro.so ++++
Playstation - pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so(slow framerate) +
              mednafen_psx_libretro.so (could not load content)
N64 - parallel_n64_libretro.so (unstable framerate) ++
      mupen64_libretro.so (slow framerate) +++
GameBoy - gambatte_libretro.so (ok, sounds bad) +++
          gearboy_libretro.so (better) ++++
        emux_gb_libretro.so (failed to load content)
        tgbdual_libretro.so (good) +++

mednafen_snes - slow ++
bsnes_accuracy - slow +
bsnes_balanced - slow +
bsnes_performance - slow ++
snes9x... all good ++++

emuxnes - slow +
bnes - slow/some games bad sprites +

Don't work
----------
FoFix
Frogato
OpenClaw

Temperatures
------------
No OC Idle with fan      : 27°C 
      Maxed fan          : 40°C
      Idle no fan        : 36°C
      Maxed no fan       : 68°C

OC : Idle with fan         : 27°C
     Maxed out with fan    : 42°C
     Idle no fan           : 36°C
     Maxed out no fan      : 71°C

Power consumption
-----------------
idle no wifi             : 0.32A
idle + wifi              : 0.38A
Maxed out no wifi        : 0.76A
Maxed out no wifi OC     : 0.82A
Maxed out + wifi         : 0.84A
Maxed out + wifi OC      : 0.90A

Benchmarks
----------
Odroid C2              |SBC bench result  |CPU Miner          |7-zip big core           |7-zip multi avg. of 3 |Blender     |GIMP    |GTKPerf |Sysbench
Meveric Stetch  No-OC                                          1337                      5223                   2h40m00s     1m25s    10.41s   5.99s
Meveric Stretch Only RAM OC                                    1361                      5292                                1m25s             5.99s
Meveric Stretch OC                                             1548                      6049                   2h14m17s     1m14s    8.80s    5.24s
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:11 am

BadPritt wrote:
meveric wrote:mednafen_psx requires different BIOS files than the other core:
scph5500.bin
scph5501.bin
scph5502.bin

I downloaded them all. I get a black screen and nothing happens.

I just tested it on my C2 and it was working "fine" 31~34 FPS for 1080p Metal Slug X

BadPritt wrote:I think I'm done with my research. You mentioned not to change the boot.ini file for the cpu OC. How do I best do this?

on my Debain image, you DO change the boot.ini on the Ubuntu image there is another file that copies the values into the boot.ini, but I never used it, and I doubt many people really are aware about it.
meveric

Unread postby andrewufrank » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:11 am

i installed following your instruction to get a MATE desktop. it works for an automatic login. issues remaining are:
- what do i have to install to get a login screen?
- chromimum flickers for a short moment, then seems to do something invisible and eventually dies. i have installed all per your instructions. where would i find the log to understand what is missing?

headless works perfect! thank you for the effort to make the image!
andrew

ps. what would be necessary to run xfce (except for installation with apt-get)?
andrewufrank

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 am

andrewufrank wrote:i installed following your instruction to get a MATE desktop. it works for an automatic login. issues remaining are:
- what do i have to install to get a login screen?

If you do NOT select to have auto-login, you have a login screen.. you can also remove auto-login again from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf (autologin=odroid) and have a login again.
Or just choose "Logout" from the System Menu of MATE.

andrewufrank wrote:- chromimum flickers for a short moment, then seems to do something invisible and eventually dies. i have installed all per your instructions. where would i find the log to understand what is missing?

You can start Chromium from a terminal window on the desktop to get debug output and can check what's wrong.. have you setup the hardware acceleration for Chromium as described in the first post?

andrewufrank wrote:ps. what would be necessary to run xfce (except for installation with apt-get)?

If you already have a Desktop installed (such as MATE) you can install xfce just next to it and on the login screen you can select what desktop you want to use.
meveric

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch -chromium does not start

Unread postby andrewufrank » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:05 pm

chromium in a terminal gives me the error

InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process

it seems a common error and some think, it is related to missing dependencies. any hint what i could do? i have installed the two links you suggest already.
thank you!
andrewufrank

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch -chromium does not start

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:17 pm

andrewufrank wrote:chromium in a terminal gives me the error

InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process

it seems a common error and some think, it is related to missing dependencies. any hint what i could do? i have installed the two links you suggest already.
thank you!

The error you mentioned can be ignored, I get the same error and Chromium is working just fine for me.
The links are not the only change, another important part is to setup the CHROMIUM_FLAGS as they tell the system to use OpenGL ES/EGL as a GPU hardware acceleration instead of Desktop OpenGL which is not supported by ODROIDs.

Can you try to install glmark2-es2 and start it to confirm that hardware acceleration is working at all for you?
meveric

Unread postby andrewufrank » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:50 am

I installed glmark2-es2 and it runs. it shows the horse turning around smoothly. thus the hardware acceleration is working.
i had the flags and the link both installed and checked that they are there.

unfortunately firefox does not work either...
i tried downgrade, but neither of the older versions available for stretch work any different.

i tried other browsers and run in

unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 9

this seems also a common bug - what are the options there?

thank you for more hints.
andrew
andrewufrank

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:28 am

andrewufrank wrote:
unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 9

this seems also a common bug - what are the options there?

Actually that's not very common for the C2, for others like the XU4 yeah but C2 not so much.

Did you change display parameters in the boot.ini? Like 24bit color or something like that?

can you copy the entire output of the terminal when you try to run chromium:
chromium --use-gl=egl

Also do you use a "normal" user or are you running everything as "root"?
meveric

Unread postby andrewufrank » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:41 am

sorry for the confusion - i install on an xu4 (and I realize only now that there are two different strands in the forum for debian stretch).
i run as a common user, but started startx as root. I have not changed anything in the boot.ini (except for the uuid of the ssd partition in which i run).

i have redone the installation from scratch an i hope it is clean. i did the flags and the links as instructed. when i run chromium i get the errors as seen here
MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: exynos_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: exynos
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

I then ran glmark2-es to check for the acceleration:
odroidfrank2@zug:~$ glmark2-es2
=======================================================
glmark2 2014.03+git20150611.fa71af2d
OpenGL Information
GL_VENDOR: ARM
GL_RENDERER: Mali-T628
GL_VERSION: OpenGL ES 3.1 v1.r14p0-01rel0.0fe2d25ca074016740f8ab3fb451b151
[build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 385 FrameTime: 2.597 ms
[build] use-vbo=true: FPS: 559 FrameTime: 1.789 ms
glmark2 Score: 472

and it seems to work.
last, i did run chromium with the flag you recommeded

chromium --gl=egl
Received signal 11 SEGV_MAPERR 000000000000
#0 0x000001e15fb0 <unknown>
#1 0x000001da26c4 <unknown>
#2 0x000001e162a2 <unknown>
#3 0x000001e164e4 <unknown>
#4 0x0000b2d0dfe0 <unknown>
#5 0x000000b4b0b0 <unknown>
#6 0x000002093ff4 <unknown>
#7 0x000002450996 <unknown>
#8 0x000002d46f9c <unknown>
#9 0x000002d47068 <unknown>
#10 0x000002d4713c <unknown>
#11 0x000002d471c4 <unknown>
#12 0x000002d471f6 <unknown>
#13 0x000001ceb1b8 <unknown>
#14 0x000001ceb1f2 <unknown>
#15 0x000001b9f378 <unknown>
#16 0x000001ba33cc <unknown>
#17 0x000001ba363a <unknown>
#18 0x000000fdbc9e <unknown>
#19 0x00000121f996 <unknown>
#20 0x000000fe234a <unknown>
#21 0x000000fe2832 <unknown>
#22 0x000000fdd93e <unknown>
#23 0x000001b8252c <unknown>
#24 0x000001b82d52 <unknown>
#25 0x000001b876b6 <unknown>
#26 0x000001b82330 <unknown>
#27 0x0000009cf290 ChromeMain
#28 0x0000b2cff4aa __libc_start_main
[end of stack trace]
Calling _exit(1). Core file will not be generated.
odroidfrank2@zug:~$ ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
[1500:1500:1113/203254.340529:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(379)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

and I get essentially the same errors as before for chromium. i take this shows that the flags are set corretly? any more suggestions?
andrewufrank

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 am

andrewufrank wrote:i take this shows that the flags are set corretly?

nope it actually shows the flags are NOT set correctly:
andrewufrank wrote:MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

This means its using OpenGL (libGL) rather than OpenGL ES (libGLESv2/libEGL), so I guess the flags or the link are not setup correctly.
Please note the folders under armhf and arm64 are different, you should follow the guide in the XU4 forum.

andrewufrank wrote:chromium --gl=egl
Received signal 11 SEGV_MAPERR 000000000000
#0 0x000001e15fb0 <unknown>
#1 0x000001da26c4 <unknown>
#2 0x000001e162a2 <unknown>
#3 0x000001e164e4 <unknown>
#4 0x0000b2d0dfe0 <unknown>
#5 0x000000b4b0b0 <unknown>
#6 0x000002093ff4 <unknown>
#7 0x000002450996 <unknown>
#8 0x000002d46f9c <unknown>
#9 0x000002d47068 <unknown>
#10 0x000002d4713c <unknown>
#11 0x000002d471c4 <unknown>
#12 0x000002d471f6 <unknown>
#13 0x000001ceb1b8 <unknown>
#14 0x000001ceb1f2 <unknown>
#15 0x000001b9f378 <unknown>
#16 0x000001ba33cc <unknown>
#17 0x000001ba363a <unknown>
#18 0x000000fdbc9e <unknown>
#19 0x00000121f996 <unknown>
#20 0x000000fe234a <unknown>
#21 0x000000fe2832 <unknown>
#22 0x000000fdd93e <unknown>
#23 0x000001b8252c <unknown>
#24 0x000001b82d52 <unknown>
#25 0x000001b876b6 <unknown>
#26 0x000001b82330 <unknown>
#27 0x0000009cf290 ChromeMain
#28 0x0000b2cff4aa __libc_start_main
[end of stack trace]
Calling _exit(1). Core file will not be generated.
odroidfrank2@zug:~$ ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
[1500:1500:1113/203254.340529:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(379)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

This is a known issue for Debian Stretch and armhf (that why it's important to be in the correct section of the forum, this is known for ARMHF but NOT for ARM64 ;))
The latest version of Chromium does currently not work under Debian Stretch (armhf only but works on arm64), you have to use an older version to get it back to working:
apt install chromium=63.0.3239.84-1~deb9u1
apt-mark hold chromium

In fact if you would have written in the XU4 ODROID Stretch forum, you would probably found this solution as it was one of the last topics discussed there ;)
meveric

Unread postby andrewufrank » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 pm

i did see this suggestion in the correct forum and the version indicated (i.e. 63.0...) is not available anymore from debian. I could not find it anywhere else.
unfortunately firefox is also broken.
browsers which currently seem to work for stretch are
luakit (unusual gui)
midori, epiphanie-browser, netsurf (all slow)
vivaldi (from their website)

i am sorry for confusing the forum.
what would be a recommended arm64 soc to run debian on? what are you using?

thank you for the help and any pointer!
andrewufrank

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:28 pm

andrewufrank wrote:i did see this suggestion in the correct forum and the version indicated (i.e. 63.0...) is not available anymore from debian. I could not find it anywhere else.

You're correct it was removed a couple of days ago :(
Maybe I'll spend the time to rebuild it myself, as the sources are still available, although this is probably gonna take a very long time :(

andrewufrank wrote:unfortunately firefox is also broken.

Yes it seems there are currently a lot of issues with these browsers under Debian.. it's really annoying :(

andrewufrank wrote:what would be a recommended arm64 soc to run debian on?

Not sure, I rarely use arm64, the C2 is OK but not very fast, the N1 is not available for you and we're still waiting on the N2, so there is no much choice at the moment.
andrewufrank wrote:what are you using?

I'm still using Debian Jessie with my ODROID GameStation Turbo image, Debian Stretch I only use for testing at the moment.
meveric

Unread postby BadPritt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:12 am

Hi Meveric.
I've finished my video. Thank you for all the help.
Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_wmQN00vW8
Greetings.
NicoD
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:13 am

At the beginning you say it's a octa core SoC? I think you meant quad core SoC ;)
Aside from that really love your review.

Funny to see, that RPi people use my software to run on the RPi
meveric

Unread postby BadPritt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:53 am

meveric wrote:At the beginning you say it's a octa core SoC? I think you meant quad core SoC ;)
Aside from that really love your review.

Funny to see, that RPi people use my software to run on the RPi

Lol. I watched it so many times and didn't notice the octa-core. I indeed meant quad, and I'm sure I had quad in my head, but octa came out. Every video must have it's mistakes. Just as I've got them.

Indeed funny on the RPi. Your software sees more sbc's then you would think. Many people enjoy it a lot.
I'll try it on the M4. In Armbian I had no luck, but there's no opengl there. The FriendlyArm Lubuntu should have it.
I've learned a lot the last days about gaming on SBC's. I'm not really a gamer. Now a bit more I guess.
Thanks.
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

RTC Shield DriverRe: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread postby yxz00341 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 am

I cannot install my RTC Shield follow Odroid'RTC Installation.
How to install PCF8563 RTC Module on it?
yxz00341

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:29 pm

after you've done all updates, there's a tool called setup-odroid, it has an option for setting up RTC.
meveric

Unread postby marg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:37 am

Hello meveric !

I just bought fresh C2 and i'm very disappointed :( - i need Kodi to work.
Is there any update on hw acceleration in kodi ? any ETA ?

greetings
marg

ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:42 am

Generally I think hardware acceleration is working, but I can't figure out why Kodi is not displaying it correctly.

If your "only" use-case is video, I suggest using LibreELEC, as it works perfectly fine.

I haven't had much time in investigating what could be the issue, but I'll try getting c2play to work, to confirm hardware acceleration is working correctly and to confirm that Kodi is the actual issue not the hardware acceleration.
meveric

Unread postby marg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:49 am

Well i need server soft too. Some FTP and others... So LElec its not for me :(
Appreciate Your work - if You will get this HW in kodi working - You got big pack of beers from me :)
marg

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 am

Just tested c2play... works "fine" so hardware acceleration is working correctly and the bug is within Kodi :(

Edit:
lol
just found Kodi is working as well, and it a crashing c2play got me the right idea...
c2play manipulates the "alpha blending" hack for the desktop to play the video... and guess what, the same hack fixes Kodi -.-
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:34 am

that was a stupid bug, I really thought this was fixed a long time ago, but apparently not, or it came back in Kodi 17.
Anyway I have a workaround, new package is uploading, although it might cause issues if you kill Kodi rather than exit it.
meveric

Unread postby marg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Do You mean that HW decoding works again in stretch Kodi 17 ?! Man u'r the best ! Gimme the adress for the beers ! :D
If i use DietPi system which depends on Your repos - i just need apt-upgrade ? Or the DietPi guy need to recompile something ?

greetings friend !
marg

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:38 pm

marg wrote:Do You mean that HW decoding works again in stretch Kodi 17 ?!

Hardware decoding was working fine even before, just "presenting" the video did not work, due to a stupid bug on the C2 regarding alpha channel.

marg wrote:If i use DietPi system which depends on Your repos - i just need apt-upgrade ? Or the DietPi guy need to recompile something ?

greetings friend !

Update should be fine, it's part of the kodi-odroid package itself, so no change should be needed aside from the latest version of the package (especially since DietPi always runs as root) :)
meveric

Unread postby marg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:02 am

How i can catch the update ?
when i do
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

nothing gets updated
sorry for the noob question

thanks man, im on my way for the donation for this fix
marg

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:28 am

hmm have you done dist-upgrade as well?
can you check if kodi-odroid is installed?
apt-cache policy kodi-odroid
meveric

Unread postby marg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:41 am

I was doing apt-get upgrade kodi , not kodi-odroid
Ther are two versions in repo ? kodi and kodi-odroid ? why ?

Kodi-Odroid works like a charm :) Thank You
marg

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:11 am

marg wrote:Ther are two versions in repo ? kodi and kodi-odroid ? why ?

"kodi" comes from "deb-multimedia" and is a "default" build of kodi, not specific for ODROIDs, it may work on some PCs/Boards but not necessarily on ODROIDs.
"kodi-odroid" is a Kodi version that I build for ODROIDs and which was made to run on the ODROID C2 and N1 :)
meveric

Unread postby marg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:40 am

I see...

Do You maybe know if Kodi or Kodi_Odroid is default instal in DietPi ?
I think i could mess it all up. Both versions..
marg

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:46 am

It should be kodi-odroid as the other won't work as I said :)
meveric

Unread postby Fourdee » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:22 am

DietPi uses kodi-odroid.

G_AGUP #update apt
G_AGDUG # dist upgrade/update packages

Thank you Meveric for resolving this!
http://DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Odroid.
DietPi web hosting is powered by http://MyVirtualServer.com
Fourdee

ODROIDs: C1 / C2 / XU4 + Cloudshell.

Unread postby meveric » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 am

I'm just glad I was finally able to figure it out, considering this was working on Debian Jessie and suddenly on Stretch it did not.. was really getting on my nerves not knowing why :)
meveric

Unread postby yxz00341 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm

meveric wrote:after you've done all updates, there's a tool called setup-odroid, it has an option for setting up RTC.

It works. Thank U~
yxz00341

Unread postby RolandE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi,
I'm just trying to enable my wlan. It's a EDIMAX EW-7811UN wlan usb adapter that worked with ubuntu on the Odroid-C2.
lsusb shows:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

For scanning the available wlan routers I used:
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

The answer is:
wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

Does this mean that the wlan interface is not recognized at all maybe because the kernel moduke for the wlan usb adapter is not loaded?
How is the easiest way to enable the wlan interface and set it up?
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

languages_spoken: english, deutsch
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2, Odroid Xu4q

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Hmm, good question.
The Kernel Module for Ubuntu and Debian are the same as we all use the same Kernel sources, so that shouldn't be different, unless you used an older Image with Kernel 3.14 rather than 3.16.
Anyway there are a few things you can try:
check with dmesg if the firmware was loaded (dmesg | grep firmware), maybe it's as simple as installing firmware-realtek, could be that this is pre-installed on Ubuntu, but not on this image.

If it doesn't work let me know and we try to find a different solution.
meveric

Unread postby RolandE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi Meveric,
thank you very much. I will try out, when I'm back home. I use your Debian image with the latest update, so it's 3.16.
Maybe I made a mistake during the time I updated and getting the X11 and window manager as I was not able to see the whole desktop.
By the way, during getting packages I saw some messages showing the processor registers but as the update completed and I was able to run X11 with the window manager I almost forgot about the messages.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:14 pm

RolandE wrote:Hi Meveric,
thank you very much. I will try out, when I'm back home. I use your Debian image with the latest update, so it's 3.16.
Maybe I made a mistake during the time I updated and getting the X11 and window manager as I was not able to see the whole desktop.
By the way, during getting packages I saw some messages showing the processor registers but as the update completed and I was able to run X11 with the window manager I almost forgot about the messages.
Kind regards,
Roland

Updating the image is fine. Kernel 3.16 is required for Debian Stretch, so everything is good.
Could be that the base image still had Kernel 3.14 if that's the case then that would explain the register errors, as they are caused by a Kernel that is not at least 3.16 as Debian Stretch uses some functions not available in lower version.
Still it should be nothing that is causing issue.
If you are now on Kernel 3.16 everything is fine, and since Desktop seems to work fine you shouldn't have done anything wrong :)
meveric

Unread postby yxz00341 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:42 pm

meveric wrote:after you've done all updates, there's a tool called setup-odroid, it has an option for setting up RTC.

Hi,I am sorry to ask the flowllowing question.
after first install and update ,i run setup-odroid,and choose enable rtc shield. but i got an error with flowllowing code
root@odroid-stretch64:~# setup-odroid
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates InRelease
Ign:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:3 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
Hit:4 http://www.deb-multimedia.org stretch InRelease
Hit:5 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch Release
Hit:7 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric all InRelease
Hit:8 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric stretch InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-3.16.60+
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.60+
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh: 25: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh: fbset: not found
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh: 26: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh: fbset: not found
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-3.16.60+.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-3.16.60+': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.60+
Image Name:   uInitrd
Created:      Sat Dec  8 15:34:44 2018
Image Type:   AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    5274349 Bytes = 5150.73 kB = 5.03 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point:  00000000
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh: 25: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh: fbset: not found
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh: 26: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh: fbset: not found
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
device-tree-compiler is already the newest version (1.4.2-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

and i run hwclock,got an error
root@odroid-stretch64:~# hwclock
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
hwclock: Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
root@odroid-stretch64:~# hwclock --debug
hwclock from util-linux 2.29.2
hwclock: cannot open /dev/rtc: No such file or directory
No usable clock interface found.
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

i checked /dev folder,but there is no such file or directory,and i also use shell command sudo setup-odroid,but it sames.
i checked my rtc shield, i think it works fine
yxz00341

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 pm

there was no "real" error.. all the things you can see have no influence.
The first is a error that i can not create a link which is normal since we use fat32 for boot partition and fat32 does not support links
So this can be ignored. The second is an info that fbset can not be found, which is also fine, as it's only available on boot.
Both can be ignored.

You have to reboot the system at least once before you can use the hardware clock, as it's activated by the dtb file on the boot partition.

After that it "should" be available.
I just checked on my ODROID and it seems it had some issues for me as well, it's suppose to load two modules:
aml_i2c and rtc_pcf8563. While this worked the way it's programmed on Debian Jessie, it seems not to work correctly on Debian Stretch.
You can load these modules by hand:
modprobe aml_i2c rtc_pcf8563
and you have /dev/rtc and hwclock should work, but I wonder why they are not loaded automatically.
In fact they should be part of the uInitrd and loaded very early in the boot state for the HW clock to work as soon as possible.

If I have a little more time I'm gonna see what I can find out, for now you can probably put:
hwclock -s
in /etc/rc.local
meveric

Unread postby yxz00341 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:09 pm

meveric wrote:there was no "real" error.. all the things you can see have no influence.
The first is a error that i can not create a link which is normal since we use fat32 for boot partition and fat32 does not support links
So this can be ignored. The second is an info that fbset can not be found, which is also fine, as it's only available on boot.
Both can be ignored.

You have to reboot the system at least once before you can use the hardware clock, as it's activated by the dtb file on the boot partition.

After that it "should" be available.
I just checked on my ODROID and it seems it had some issues for me as well, it's suppose to load two modules:
aml_i2c and rtc_pcf8563. While this worked the way it's programmed on Debian Jessie, it seems not to work correctly on Debian Stretch.
You can load these modules by hand:
and you have /dev/rtc and hwclock should work, but I wonder why they are not loaded automatically.
In fact they should be part of the uInitrd and loaded very early in the boot state for the HW clock to work as soon as possible.

If I have a little more time I'm gonna see what I can find out, for now you can probably put:
hwclock -s
in /etc/rc.local

after i put
hwclock -s
in /etc/rc.local, it works fine from reboot.
thanks a lot. :D
yxz00341

Unread postby RolandE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:51 am

Hi Meveric,
I tried out:
dmesg | fgrep firm
[ 7.474348] rtl8192cu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin
[ 7.514068] usb 1-1.4: firmware: failed to load rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin (-2)
[ 7.514099] usb 1-1.4: firmware: failed to load rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin (-2)
[ 7.514102] rtlwifi: Loading alternative firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin

Then I tried lsmod
lsmod
Module Size Used by
rtl8192cu 97176 0
rtl_usb 14206 1 rtl8192cu
rtlwifi 84770 2 rtl_usb,rtl8192cu
rtl8192c_common 56170 1 rtl8192cu
mac80211 532094 3 rtl_usb,rtlwifi,rtl8192cu
cfg80211 472103 2 mac80211,rtlwifi
spidev 6643 0
spi_gpio 6551 0
spi_bitbang 4055 1 spi_gpio
w1_gpio 3801 0
wire 28745 1 w1_gpio
meson_gpiomem 4064 0
gxbb_wdt 3411 0
ip_tables 17301 0
ipv6 386021 38
autofs4 27654 2

My next step is to boot ubuntu again an compare the result. Now I tried out to boot ubuntu from my eMMC moduke and had my micro SD card inside. The funny thing was that now I got a mixture. It loaded the initial ramdisk from Ubuntu (with the overscan problem other resolution) but booted the Debian system from the micro SD card. Funny. I still don't know which initial ramdisk image it loaded? Where is the sequence uboot is looking for an uInitrd?

OK, back to the wlan. I took out the micro SD card and now pure ubuntu booted. :-)
odroid@odroid:~$ dmesg | fgrep firm
[ 8.369814] rtl8192cu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin
[ 8.374675] usb 1-1.4: firmware: direct-loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin
odroid@odroid:~$
odroid@odroid:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
fuse 91047 3
squashfs 32371 0
rtl8192cu 94442 0
rtl_usb 14065 1 rtl8192cu
rtlwifi 84204 2 rtl_usb,rtl8192cu
rtl8192c_common 55051 1 rtl8192cu
mac80211 538166 3 rtl_usb,rtlwifi,rtl8192cu
cfg80211 480030 2 mac80211,rtlwifi
joydev 11035 0
w1_gpio 3801 0
wire 28606 1 w1_gpio
gxbb_wdt 3395 0
meson_gpiomem 4040 0
sch_fq_codel 7827 6
ip_tables 17220 0
ipv6 387345 38
autofs4 27592 2
odroid@odroid:~$

Where do I find rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin for Debian?
In Ubuntu it is in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin
Currently my Odroid-C2 is booted with Ubuntu.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby m_ba » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:42 am

Hi,
I have installed firmware-realtek package, then wlan0 is available.
My problem is that wifi link is not stable, I mean link is still up but I lose
network access. So I continue using 3.14.79+ kernel as there is
an older driver 8192cu.
Kind regards,
M.
m_ba

ODROIDs: c2

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS