Armbian Stretch and Bionic minimal with 3.16, 4.17 & 4.18

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Armbian for C2 with 3.14 & 4.14 server/desktop

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:51 pm

igorpec wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
igorpec wrote:Well, I test the image two times and it works and if you follow the procedure I ran out of options. :roll: The manipulating error is also because of a wrong password, root 1234 than it asks you to change the password, you need to type 1234 again and two times new password.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes I tried that and it didn't work, I tried 2 times and I couldn't change the password because of the said error.
Your image is broken.
I flashed and verified with Etcher. I don't have any problems with other C2 images.....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nightly images could be broken since they are made automatically, but not this one - it was tested twice:
https://dl.armbian.com/odroidc2/Debian_ ... nightly.7z (https://dl.armbian.com/odroidc2/nightly ... desktop.7z)
Hardware Odroid C2 with 8G eMMC module.

It is possible that your eMMC module is partially broken or not compatible with a modern kernel, but this you need to ask @odroid if that is possible...?

You're hilarious.
Your images are broken, fact. my eMMC is fine, I have two; a red one and a black one. both are 16GB. no matter what I try or how I flash and verify the image(s) I can't change the password as I said above.
Let's face facts here, you don't want to admit you have broken images. it's OK....

:roll:
thatchunkylad1989

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby igorpec » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:55 pm

Let's face facts here, you don't want to admit you have broken images. it's OK....

Not really, until you are the only one having the problem. I am still waiting for someone else to report a problem.
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools
igorpec

languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:46 am

igorpec wrote:

Not really, until you are the only one having the problem. I am still waiting for someone else to report a problem.

I'm not the only one, fact.
There's problems with your image but you're too ignorant to see it.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby igorpec » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:14 am

I'm not the only one, fact. There's problems with your image but you're too ignorant to see it.

You have a very simple task - provide evidence that somebody else also has a problem. That's all I ask.

This is a kiddy job compared to seeking and fixing possible bugs in the code.
igorpec

Unread postby yellowshed » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Firstly, congrats on the fantastic distribution. Appreciated.

I wonder if I am experiencing a similar problem.

I can boot the stable on both SD and eMMC no problem. If i try to upgrade from either to the latest, I am left with a system that won't boot (with the eMMC present for the SD card case). I think it's trying to boot from the eMMC and failing...

I would like to run the latest next version for my C2. I have a quite old eMMC module which is probably causing issues. I can Etcher write the image to an sd card and the system boots fine. It updates fine and everything works as it should, as long as the eMMC module is not present. However, I really would like to use the eMMC module.

If I try and Etcher write to my eMMC module, the system boots but doesn't allow me to login - I get the manipulation error on trying to change the password.

I have re-written Armbian_5.37.171231_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.10.img to the SD card and tried to nand-sata-install to the emmc card. That fails with write protection errors, and so I looked in the /var/log/nand-sata-install.log file. The log has the same UUID for the boot device as the eMMC and that is listed as mmcblk0. The root and boot devices are listed as mmcblk0p1 (with boot having an ext after /dev/mmcblk0p1). Via df, root is listed/mounted as mmcblk1p1. I'm guessing the logs indicate it's trying to copy onto itself.

What I would like is to be able to boot off the sd card and then nand-install-sata to the eMMC. Is that possible? I'm thinking that the c2 is by default trying to boot from the eMMC, switching to the SD card and to complete the boot. Is it possible to somehow disable the booting from the eMMC or something to allow booting of the latest kernel on the eMMC?

Thanks for all the hard work so far....
yellowshed

ODROIDs: C1
XU4 x2

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 pm

See, I'm not the only one....

Thanks yellowshed.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby yellowshed » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 am

Well maybe, if you, like me have an old eMMC card and he doesn't. I think I've read somewhere about the XU4 and issues with older eMMC cards, I believe. Anyway, it's quite possible that most people with the C2 have the newer eMMC which will boot fine. There was a note in his post about it:

It is possible that your eMMC module is partially broken or not compatible with a modern kernel, but this you need to ask @odroid if that is possible...?

So not really his fault either....
yellowshed

XU4 x2

Unread postby igorpec » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:30 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:See, I'm not the only one....

Thanks yellowshed.

The problem would be identified as an issue even without your spamming. In any case, there will be no quick fixes.

If I try and Etcher write to my eMMC module, the system boots but doesn't allow me to login - I get the manipulation error on trying to change the password.

It looks like a low-level issue related to eMMC/u-boot like I already predicted. We recently migrated to modern u-boot https://github.com/armbian/build/commit ... 40cc83803b and none of us experience troubles and I am also not sure if it's even related. Modern kernel and u-boot are still WIP and this is the best what is available at the moment.

I have no idea when the problem will be solved and hardly without engineers from Hardkernel. Added "ALFA TESTING" and some remarks besides the download page to warn people ...

Legacy 3.14.y should be fine - there were no changes there, u-boot is stock.
igorpec

Unread postby yellowshed » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 am

Thanks Igor.

Indeed, legacy works fine, both Debian and Ubuntu. Perhaps I will have to live with legacy for now. I plan to run zoneminder on my c2 (the c1+ is on it's limit and the c1 Jessie image only has ZM 1.28 whereas with Ubuntu on the c2, I can get the latest 1.30).

I do have one other issue, though. In the /etc/network/interfaces file, the HW MAC address line is left uncommented and causes issues with the networking on reboot after install. If I comment out the line, it is fine. If I leave it uncommented, then I do not get any IP address assigned by the DHCP server (occurred on two different DHCP servers).

Is that line meant to be left uncommented? Should it get the MAC address of the actual adapter?

Thanks again...
yellowshed

XU4 x2

Unread postby yellowshed » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:51 am

Is there some way I could help with testing? Unfortunately, I don't have the hardware to get serial console at boot. If that's needed and it would help, I might get one.

Cheers,
yellowshed

XU4 x2

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 am

yellowshed wrote:(the c1+ is on it's limit and the c1 Jessie image only has ZM 1.28

Debian Jessie Backports has 1.29 available (in case that's of any use for you).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby yellowshed » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks meveric. I hadn't looked into the backports thing. I'm running two cameras at 1280x720p and the load is consistently in the 2s and 3s. I plan to add more cameras, so the c1 is not going to cut it, unless there's a significant performance improvement in the backported software.

Interestingly, on a side note, I did an update on the c1 and lost the Ethernet connection. I thought I had some hardware issue which lost eth0 from the system, even though the lights were flickering on the Ethernet connector indicating something was alive. Very confused. After some digging, I found a message ( dmesg | grep eth ) which said system was renaming eth0 to eth1. After changing eth0 to eth1 in the interfaces file, it was all working again. Caused me some consternation for a while, especially as the system is in the loft, headless and accessed normally by ssh!

Cheers...
yellowshed

XU4 x2

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:33 am

igorpec wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:See, I'm not the only one....

Thanks yellowshed.

The problem would be identified as an issue even without your spamming. In any case, there will be no quick fixes.

Please tell me how I'm spamming...

I said there was problems, you didn't believe me. Now you do. :)

Also, I really like your Ubuntu Desktop, it's nice and fast. I do however have one quick question, how do I install Kodi?

Regards and thanks for the legacy Ubuntu. :)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 am

Also, how can I change the desktop/window manager? It's only showing XFCE but I really like i3-wm.
And, chromium is really laggy unless I turn off HW acceleration. once it's off, chromium is fine. when it's on, chromium is laggy. I added the thing to etc/chromium-browser as a flag...

Thanks.

EDIT: If I add this to chromium in etc:

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096"

Chromium becomes really, REALYY laggy.

Thanks.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 am

Bump. Are you really not going to reply? XD
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby odroid » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:00 pm

@thatchunkylad1989
If you can see "mali450" string in es2gears, the mali GPU driver should work on Armbian.
Try to run es2gears or glamark2-es2 on command line first.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 am

odroid wrote:@thatchunkylad1989
If you can see "mali450" string in es2gears, the mali GPU driver should work on Armbian.
Try to run es2gears or glamark2-es2 on command line first.

I tried that and it doesn't seem to be installed.......

igorpec - Are you really not going to reply? Makes me sad. :(
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 am

Seems igorpec doesn't care about his distro/users - shame, it's a great OS too. :(
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby Puls » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:19 pm

I just upgradet my C2 to the latest 4.14 server image.

I wrote the image with Win32DiskImager to the eMMC and the system is booting without any issues. In fact it seems everything for my use case is working perfectly (hosting a Java server app).

So it might really be dependent on the specific module.
Puls

Unread postby brad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 pm

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Seems igorpec doesn't care about his distro/users - shame, it's a great OS too. :(

I think if you looked into the good work igorpec has done you would have the opposite opinion. The problem it seems in your case is 4.14 mainline kernel (Still in development and not for end users yet) working with your emmc. High speed emmc support was only introduced in 4.14 and works great with many cards tested but some like yours (and my old card) don't work reliably with default settings. You can apply fixes to mainline (device tree mods) to restrict the speed for what seems like only older emmc's but 3.14 kernel would probably suit you better as it is supported by hardkernel and all supported emmc's are stable.
brad

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 pm

brad wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Seems igorpec doesn't care about his distro/users - shame, it's a great OS too. :(

I think if you looked into the good work igorpec has done you would have the opposite opinion. The problem it seems in your case is 4.14 mainline kernel (Still in development and not for end users yet) working with your emmc. High speed emmc support was only introduced in 4.14 and works great with many cards tested but some like yours (and my old card) don't work reliably with default settings. You can apply fixes to mainline (device tree mods) to restrict the speed for what seems like only older emmc's but 3.14 kernel would probably suit you better as it is supported by hardkernel and all supported emmc's are stable.

My post still stands, he's blatantly ignored my post(s).
Also, my eMMC works great with other distro's........
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby brad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:03 pm

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:My post still stands, he's blatantly ignored my post(s).

Sorry i'm not the best with words sometimes, what I am trying to suggest is that there is an issue with older emmc's running on kernel 4.14 and it appears you (like me) are impacted. Armbian has taken the time to incorporate a release of 4.14 kernel (a great effort by them but you dont have to use it you can use 3.14.y armbian). This is likely why you are not impacted on other distributions with your emmc's.

You seem like like the kind of lad that wants things to just work so my recommendation is 3.14 which has been thoroughly tested by hard-kernel. If you like armbian the try the version with 3.14.y kernel.
brad

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 am

brad wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:My post still stands, he's blatantly ignored my post(s).

Sorry i'm not the best with words sometimes, what I am trying to suggest is that there is an issue with older emmc's running on kernel 4.14 and it appears you (like me) are impacted. Armbian has taken the time to incorporate a release of 4.14 kernel (a great effort by them but you dont have to use it you can use 3.14.y armbian). This is likely why you are not impacted on other distributions with your emmc's.

You seem like like the kind of lad that wants things to just work so my recommendation is 3.14 which has been thoroughly tested by hard-kernel. If you like armbian the try the version with 3.14.y kernel.

What?!

It's Jessie though and not Stretch, Jessie is too old.
Also, please don't assume anything about me; you don't know me or what I do.......

Seems the OP of this post has been online and still not replied to my questions regarding chromium....

Oh well; NEXT OS please. :D
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby odroid » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:22 am

@thatchunkylad1989
I think you might not have any right to complain too much about community contributed OS images.
Consider using other OS images or try to make your own image.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby spyvsspy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 pm

my odroid c2 got bricked after the latest kernel and u-boot update...
i have 2 borads , one with EMMC the other with SD , the EMMC one got bricked while the sd card works good after the update..

anyone experienced that ?
spyvsspy

ODROIDs: C2 XU4

Unread postby igorpec » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:40 pm

spyvsspy wrote:my odroid c2 got bricked after the latest kernel and u-boot update...
i have 2 borads , one with EMMC the other with SD , the EMMC one got bricked while the sd card works good after the update..

anyone experienced that ?

Yes, this is more or less expected and it's written beside download links. Modern 4.14.y kernel lacks proper eMMC support. Mine 8G eMMC actually works, but many people reported that it failed to boot.
igorpec

Unread postby spyvsspy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:09 pm

more or less expected ? i'm using the stable release for the past year or so...
and now i just update it and its dead ?

wth is going on ?
do i have to waste a day or 2 to reinstall and configure everything ?
spyvsspy

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 pm

odroid wrote:@thatchunkylad1989
I think you might not have any right to complain too much about community contributed OS images.
Consider using other OS images or try to make your own image.

Lol, the OP is the one being ignorant, not me.
He's made an OS - he should give support and not ignore his users. ;) :mrgreen:
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby spyvsspy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:06 pm

that's not how you supposed to maintain software.

i'm switching back to Debian, **** this ****.
spyvsspy

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 pm

spyvsspy wrote:that's not how you supposed to maintain software.

i'm switching back to Debian, **** this ****.

Like I said before, the OP doesn't care about his users. :(
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby spyvsspy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 am

* eMMC support is virtually nonexisting, there will also be troubles with some UHS SD cards. Only a few of them will work fine. * still tagged as STABLE.
wtf.

its like an iphone update.. pile of crap.
spyvsspy

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:13 am

spyvsspy wrote:its like an iphone update.. pile of crap.

Got it in one. :D
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby hsu95066 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am

Hi,

I would share the Armbian image's tests for last two weeks.

At first, I tried Armbian image with SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-1 16GB card.
It all failed to HDMI output for any nightly image :(
Armbian_5.34.171121_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.13.14.7z
Armbian_5.37.171231_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.10.7z
Armbian_5.37.171231_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.10_desktop.7z
Armbian_5.38.180128_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.15.7z

But, it worked fine for Armbian_5.35_Odroidc2_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.14.79_desktop.7z

In fact, this type SD card worked very well for many Odroid's images,
including C1+/C2 linux OS of kerenl 3.10/3.14 and XU4 linux OS of kernel 3.10, 4.9 and 4.14.

Then, I tested another type SD cared - Kingston microSDHC UHS-1 16GB card yesterday.
It can boot and login successfully with Armbian_5.38.180128_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.15.7z.
I tried another image - Armbian_5.37.171231_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.10_desktop.7z.
It also worked fine except Wifi and mali driver. :)
hsu95066

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, XU4

Unread postby cake » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:47 am

I was using ubuntu minimal. Updated a couple days ago and now it disappeared after reboot. I had it in a data center in Europe using luks full disk. I did see that uboot was going to be upgraded and a message about boot.ini file.

This sucks. Should I pay some money and have a techy check the boot.ini file on the microsd card, or have them mail it back to me and just start over?
cake

Unread postby campbell » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:16 am

cake wrote:I was using ubuntu minimal. Updated a couple days ago and now it disappeared after reboot. I had it in a data center in Europe using luks full disk. I did see that uboot was going to be upgraded and a message about boot.ini file.

This sucks. Should I pay some money and have a techy check the boot.ini file on the microsd card, or have them mail it back to me and just start over?

Just a suggestion for the future, I have a pair of odroids on my network, one has its debug serial console run over to the other, so that I can get at the serial console of one by sshing into the other. The "supervisor" odroid just runs the vanilla hardkernel image and I don't really use it for much, the one being supervised runs Arch with the mainline kernel and I can mess around at the uboot prompt if necessary without being physically present. In theory I could let each of them supervise the other by running their debug ports to non-debug ports on the opposite board.
campbell

ODROIDs: XU3, XU4, C2, C1+, Cloudshell, Smart Power

Unread postby igorpec » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Images for C2 were updated. Bootlog: http://ix.io/FlZ

**v5.40 / 5.2.2018**

- fixed eMMC support on Odroid C2 NEXT, kernel 4.14.y. New beta images
- fixed broken u-boot on some builds

@cake Sorry to hear this. We fixed this problem quickly and only a few people actually ran into this (extremely rare) issue. We are working hard to eliminate the possibility of such incidents and the only way would be to freeze u-boot/kernel update by default. But even that is not a 100% fix.

Like I said before, the OP doesn't care about his users.

Testing development kernel comes without end-user support.

At first, I tried Armbian image with SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-1 16GB card.

A known problem in test builds. It should be fixed in a recent automated build. I also remove older semi-broken images, which all work, but on a normal SD card. I could not recreate this problem in a first place, but people are reporting that is being fixed. https://forum.armbian.com/topic/6159-c2 ... ment=48699

It also worked fine except Wifi and mali driver.

Which Wifi exactly? Can you provide full logs (armbianmonitor -u) with Wifi dongle attached? BTW. You have to boot the board with USB attached, otherwise is not recognized. This is another problem - USB hotplugging - which needs to be fixed.

If it works in Odroid 4.14.y builds, it should work here too.
igorpec

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 am

Thanks igorpec! How can I disable XFCE4 and login with i3-wm? I enabled lightdm but it doesn't show any other options for the DE.
I like i3-wm because I can monitor disk usage...........

Cheers mate for a great OS, working fine atm. :D
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby igorpec » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:29 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Thanks igorpec! How can I disable XFCE4 and login with i3-wm? I enabled lightdm but it doesn't show any other options for the DE.

If you plan to use some other DE than one selected in armbian-config, try to install dm manually (apt install). When you install lightdm it asks you which is your default DE. IIRC from config install, we force set a default one. Not 100% sure, but I suspect this is a problem.
igorpec

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:55 am

igorpec wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Thanks igorpec! How can I disable XFCE4 and login with i3-wm? I enabled lightdm but it doesn't show any other options for the DE.

If you plan to use some other DE than one selected in armbian-config, try to install dm manually (apt install). When you install lightdm it asks you which is your default DE. IIRC from config install, we force set a default one. Not 100% sure, but I suspect this is a problem.

Yeah and it's set to lightdm and xfce4 but I don't have any options to change the DE when I login, it's auto set to xfce4. I tried to open lightdm-gtk-greeter from root and:

Code: Select all
odroid@odroidc2:~/Desktop$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for odroid:

root@odroidc2:~# lightdm-gtk-greeter
** Message: Starting lightdm-gtk-greeter 2.0.2 (Nov 16 2016, 20:48:17)

** (process:9755): WARNING **: [PIDs] Failed to execute command: /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi-bus-launcher
** Message: [Configuration] Reading file: /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/01_debian.conf
** Message: [Configuration] Reading file: /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:9755): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:9755): WARNING **: Unable to determine socket to daemon

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:9755): WARNING **: Unable to determine socket to daemon
root@odroidc2:~#

Not sure what to try next...

EDIT1: Sorted, just added:

[SeatDefaults]
user-session=odroid
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
allow-guest=false

To:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

Back using i3-wm again, thanks.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby hsu95066 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:53 pm

igorped,

Which Wifi exactly? Can you provide full logs (armbianmonitor -u) with Wifi dongle attached? BTW. You have to boot the board with USB attached, otherwise is not recognized. This is another problem - USB hotplugging - which needs to be fixed.

The followings are related informations.
hsu@odroidc2:~$ uname -a
Linux odroidc2 4.14.15-odroidc2 #125 SMP Sun Jan 28 02:26:52 CET 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux
hsu@odroidc2:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c534 Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 090c:1000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) Flash Drive
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
hsu@odroidc2:~$ sudo ifconfig
eth0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 00:1e:06:33:16:f3  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
        device interrupt 18 

eth0:avahi: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 169.254.6.219  netmask 255.255.0.0  broadcast 169.254.255.255
        device interrupt 18 

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 628  bytes 49688 (48.5 KiB)
        TX packets 628  bytes 49688 (48.5 KiB)

wlx74da383bebd6: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.1.1.11  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.1.1.255
        inet6 fe80::d1d4:169:309d:4888  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 74:da:38:3b:eb:d6  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 64  bytes 6514 (6.3 KiB)
        TX packets 75  bytes 9844 (9.6 KiB)

The full logs see the attached file.
Attachments
armbianmonitor.txt
(258.05 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
hsu95066

Unread postby hsu95066 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi igorpec,

I tried Armbian_5.40.180207_Odroidc2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.17_desktop image with Kingston SD.
It can boot and login as befoere. Then, Wifi dongle can work for current image.

hsu@odroidc2:~$ uname -a
Linux odroidc2 4.14.17-odroidc2 #42 SMP Tue Feb 6 18:11:19 CET 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux
hsu@odroidc2:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c534 Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
hsu@odroidc2:~$ sudo ifconfig
eth0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        device interrupt 18 

eth0:avahi: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 169.254.6.219  netmask 255.255.0.0  broadcast 169.254.255.255
        device interrupt 18 

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 156  bytes 12180 (11.8 KiB)
        TX packets 156  bytes 12180 (11.8 KiB)

wlx74da383bebd6: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.1.1.11  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.1.1.255
        inet6 fe80::388a:69eb:9db9:4763  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 74:da:38:3b:eb:d6  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 2698  bytes 2974396 (2.8 MiB)
        TX packets 2157  bytes 284191 (277.5 KiB)

I tried this image for SanDisk SD, it still failed to HDMI output.
hsu95066

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 am

@igorpec - Any idea how to get chromium to use HW acceleration? I've done:

ln -sf /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libEGL.so /usr/lib/chromium/libEGL.so
ln -sf /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/chromium/libGLESv2.so

Ran as root and added:

# Options to pass to chromium-browser
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096"

I'm using your Debian Stretch Next:

odroid@odroidc2:~/Desktop$ uname -a
Linux odroidc2 4.14.18-odroidc2 #43 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 9 13:25:11 CET 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Any ideas?
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby igorpec » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 am

Nope, don't know, never researched this topic. Probably you need a special version ... we use generic Chromium from a stock Ubuntu repository.
igorpec

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:51 am

igorpec wrote:Nope, don't know, never researched this topic. Probably you need a special version ... we use generic Chromium from a stock Ubuntu repository.

Thanks for the reply.

It does work with meveric's stretch so not sure what's up...

Thanks, though. :)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby igorpec » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:56 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
igorpec wrote:Nope, don't know, never researched this topic. Probably you need a special version ... we use generic Chromium from a stock Ubuntu repository.

Thanks for the reply.

With kernel 4.14.y ? With a specially build Chromium?

If you find out, we can put this in.
igorpec

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 am

igorpec wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

With kernel 4.14.y ? With a specially build Chromium?

If you find out, we can put this in.

Nah, with the 3.xx kernel, but it's Stretch that's why I asked. :)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby odroid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 am

Refer this thread to enable the Mali GPU acceleration on Debian Stretch.
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=28426
But, it uses the Wayland instead of x11.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 pm

odroid wrote:Refer this thread to enable the Mali GPU acceleration on Debian Stretch.
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=28426
But, it uses the Wayland instead of x11.

Cheers but it's still not working...

:(
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:43 am

I have a question for you, igorpec.
Why does your Stretch image (server, not desktop) use less heat than say using Ubuntu? I can honestly feel the heat difference, it doesn't get really hot unlike using Ubuntu. I have tried your server image and the desktop image, both generate a lot less heat than other distros. The other distros I used was on 3.x.x kernel but your Stretch image is 4.x.x......
Is it something to do with the newer 4.x.x kernel? Or have you down-clocked the RAM?

I'm using the same governor, performance.......

Weird. :D
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby igorpec » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:18 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:I have a question for you, igorpec.
Why does your Stretch image (server, not desktop) use less heat than say using Ubuntu? I can honestly feel the heat difference, it doesn't get really hot unlike using Ubuntu. I have tried your server image and the desktop image, both generate a lot less heat than other distros. The other distros I used was on 3.x.x kernel but your Stretch image is 4.x.x......
Is it something to do with the newer 4.x.x kernel? Or have you down-clocked the RAM?

I'm using the same governor, performance.......

Weird. :D

There are many things involved.

Kernel 3.14 was introduced in 2014 and it is EOL for some time. It is old. Chip & board makers code, especially critical parts, is usually quick and dirty and is not improved much over the time. Things are patched until this makes sense, while modern kernel has most of that stuff written from scratch, uses more recent technology in general, there is better cooperation between chip makers and community. They realized the importance and started to invest more into the open source projects, they hired professional kernel hackers, ... Further - our userspace modifications/optimizations are tailored for SD/eMMC card driven ARM single board computers, while most of the others use generic Debian/Ubuntu and don't bother or have no knowledge to tune things up, to squeeze out maximum power together with producing as minimal heat as possible. There are many small things and the overall result is even little more bang for less power consumption and heat. That is one of the primary objectives within Armbian - to go further. On all boards that we deal with. On some there are small on some there are big differences toward stock generic or "optimized" builds.
igorpec

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS