[OS] Debian Stretch

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch (WIP)

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:54 am

I have a question for you @meveric - I want to setup a C2 headless but I want to be able to get files from samba and use deluge, what's the best way of doing this?
thatchunkylad1989

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 am

installing and configuring samba headless shouldn't be hard to do, there are plenty of guides on the internet for that and it should be rather straight forward.
I know deluge mainly as a desktop application, so you might have to use a VNC server to configure it.
I don't know if deluge can be controlled from command line, but I guess google can help you answer that question as well.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 am

meveric wrote:installing and configuring samba headless shouldn't be hard to do, there are plenty of guides on the internet for that and it should be rather straight forward.
I know deluge mainly as a desktop application, so you might have to use a VNC server to configure it.
I don't know if deluge can be controlled from command line, but I guess google can help you answer that question as well.

Yeah, I've sorted it.

Cheers.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 am

Well, I can't use my C2......

It keeps crashing when I try and download something with Deluge, the blue light flashes every second and the C2 does nothing until I unplug the PSU and restart. :(
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 am

you should remote login into the board and check log files or output of htop / iotop when you do that to figure out what could be the issue.
Generally it should work though.
I've just downloaded an Ubuntu 17.10 torrent image via deluge on my C2 + Debian Stretch.
But my system was lagging quite a bit as well, at times it seemed like the entire system had stopped working (especially if you tried to load other programs), but in fact it was still going in the background.

My guess the distributed write operations are very bad for the SD/eMMC card and bind most of the I/O performance.
An external storage (USB HDD) is probably recommended in this scenario.

After the first download was done, I did a "sync" from command line to make sure all write operations are finished, after that the system was acted normal again.

To test my theory I attached an external HDD via USB and downloaded the torrent again, this time storing the file on the HDD instead of the SD card, result was as expected.. Download and system worked fine, no slow downs no blocking.

So make sure you use an external HDD if you want to download torrents, or else your SD card will have major issues.

This also means your SD card is probably not very "good" anymore and has issues writing data on it. You might want to consider replacing it, or at least wipe it with "0" and see if this helps to increase it's lifetime.
You should also try using fstrim -v / as this can also increase lifetime of the card (if supported).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 am

meveric wrote:you should remote login into the board and check log files or output of htop / iotop when you do that to figure out what could be the issue.
Generally it should work though.
I've just downloaded an Ubuntu 17.10 torrent image via deluge on my C2 + Debian Stretch.
But my system was lagging quite a bit as well, at times it seemed like the entire system had stopped working (especially if you tried to load other programs), but in fact it was still going in the background.

My guess the distributed write operations are very bad for the SD/eMMC card and bind most of the I/O performance.
An external storage (USB HDD) is probably recommended in this scenario.

After the first download was done, I did a "sync" from command line to make sure all write operations are finished, after that the system was acted normal again.

To test my theory I attached an external HDD via USB and downloaded the torrent again, this time storing the file on the HDD instead of the SD card, result was as expected.. Download and system worked fine, no slow downs no blocking.

So make sure you use an external HDD if you want to download torrents, or else your SD card will have major issues.

This also means your SD card is probably not very "good" anymore and has issues writing data on it. You might want to consider replacing it, or at least wipe it with "0" and see if this helps to increase it's lifetime.
You should also try using fstrim -v / as this can also increase lifetime of the card (if supported).

Thanks but I'm using a 16gb eMMC.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 am

eMMC storage is flash storage as well and has the same limitations as SD cards, although not as prominent as on an SD card it also has wearing and without fstrim eMMC can get really slow as well.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:35 am

meveric wrote:eMMC storage is flash storage as well and has the same limitations as SD cards, although not as prominent as on an SD card it also has wearing and without fstrim eMMC can get really slow as well.

Any tips to extend the lifespan of my eMMC? :mrgreen:
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:42 am

the OS should already be prepared for it.
Disabling access-time protocoling (mount option noatime) removes unnecessary writings of the last time a file was "accessed".
Using fstrim regularly should also help a lot.
Code: Select all
cat /etc/cron.daily/fstrim
#!/bin/bash
fstrim /

Avoid operations that writes a lot of tiny data on the disk like compiling, or torrenting, or webserver that create tons of tiny tmp and cache files.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 am

meveric wrote:the OS should already be prepared for it.
Disabling access-time protocoling (mount option noatime) removes unnecessary writings of the last time a file was "accessed".
Using fstrim regularly should also help a lot.
cat /etc/cron.daily/fstrim
#!/bin/bash
fstrim /

Avoid operations that writes a lot of tiny data on the disk like compiling, or torrenting, or webserver that create tons of tiny tmp and cache files.

Thanks but my system can't find fstrim.
Also, any tips for speeding up your Stretch image? like things to do after installing etc.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Thanks but my system can't find fstrim.

fstrim is part of the package "util-linux" which should be pre-installed by default. It can only be run as root (or with sudo) not as a regular user.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Also, any tips for speeding up your Stretch image? like things to do after installing etc.

I don't think there's anything you can do to speed it up. By default barely anything is pre-installed at all, it's a very minimalistic Debian image, so there's nothing on it that slows it down.
The rest depends on you, what you install and run in the background.
There are some tools that can be usefull, like "preload" or "zram-odroid" that can help you speed things up in certain cases, but I don't think there is much I can suggest, as it always depends on the programs you have installed and want to use.
meveric

Unread postby ZacWolf » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 am

Hey, I'm having an issue with audio using the Stereo Bonnet.

I used setup-odroid to install the dac.

It was working under your Jessie build, but seems to be throwing errors under stretch.

I created a gist of the log output:
https://gist.github.com/ZacWolf/cc5e48c ... 9cc1f7e736

...any advice?

**EDIT*
Figured it out. Looks like under Stretch the C2 requires the changes to /etc/pulse/default.pa that you had put under C1 in your set-odroid script.

I appended:
set-default-sink alsa_output.platform-odroid_sound_card.5.analog-stereo
suspend-sink alsa_output.platform-odroid_sound_card.5.analog-stereo 1

to: /etc/pulse/default.pa, rebooted, and it's working fine.
ZacWolf

Unread postby ZacWolf » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 am

Is there a name for the boot-manager/loader that's being used?

I've turned off the "dmesg" style output to the console via boot.ini:
setenv condev "consoleblank=1 console=ttyS0,115200n8"

...but now my screen is just blank, and I'd really like to show a "splash screen" image instead, but since I don't know what the boot-manager is called, I don't even know where to start to look as a basic Google searches turns up mostly info related to Grub.

Thanks!!!

PS: Excellent work on the Stretch image! Using it and the fbturbo driver has made my little kiosk seem twice as fast as Debian/Mali!
Last edited by ZacWolf on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZacWolf

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch (WIP) NTPD

Unread postby ZacWolf » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:21 am

I noticed in your builds that you have ntp installed as an apt package, vs just using the systemd provided version. This actually causes a delay in the system setting the system time.

After I installed the image I did:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get purge ntp -y
systemctl enable systemd-timesyncd.service
reboot

And now NTP update is almost instant at startup...
ZacWolf

Unread postby meveric » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks for all the info.
I will go over it again and see where I can improve the image. :)
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:26 am

meveric wrote:Thanks for all the info.
I will go over it again and see where I can improve the image. :)

Any update on that or an ETA?
thatchunkylad1989

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:39 am

Uploaded new image.
I also can confirm that installation of Deskop does no longer work without manual intervention.
Infos about this have been added to the first post.

I also switched ntp for systemd-timesyncd and pre-installed setup-odroid.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:22 am

meveric wrote:Uploaded new image.
I also can confirm that installation of Deskop does no longer work without manual intervention.
Infos about this have been added to the first post.

I also switched ntp for systemd-timesyncd and pre-installed setup-odroid.

Nice, just read the OP.
You can also do the setup with setup-odroid and when it fails with configuring "dbus" (around 80% or so) ctrl, alt and del on your keyboard, it'll restart the system then: "dpkg --configura -a" and it'll go and finish the rest. then once that's done, go back into setup-odroid, click mate or lxde or whatever you've installed and it'll complete it. ;)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:24 am

@meveric - Can I somehow install the dev version of chromium????????
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 am

Also, what setting do I need to play H264 videos with VLC?
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Nice, just read the OP.
You can also do the setup with setup-odroid and when it fails with configuring "dbus" (around 80% or so) ctrl, alt and del on your keyboard, it'll restart the system then: "dpkg --configura -a" and it'll go and finish the rest. then once that's done, go back into setup-odroid, click mate or lxde or whatever you've installed and it'll complete it. ;)

You're right.. for most people it's probably easier to restart right away.
I will rephrase the description and make it easier for beginners.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:@meveric - Can I somehow install the dev version of chromium????????

I don't know of any Debian packages for dev version of Chromium, so the answer to this is no.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Also, what setting do I need to play H264 videos with VLC?

Forget about VLC, it sucks on all arm boards. mpv should work much better and run out of the box as far as I know.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:54 pm

meveric wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Nice, just read the OP.

You're right.. for most people it's probably easier to restart right away.
I will rephrase the description and make it easier for beginners.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:@meveric - Can I somehow install the dev version of chromium????????

I don't know of any Debian packages for dev version of Chromium, so the answer to this is no.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Also, what setting do I need to play H264 videos with VLC?

Forget about VLC, it sucks on all arm boards. mpv should work much better and run out of the box as far as I know.

Cheers mate. :)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:37 am

For anyone using their C2 as a desktop with chromium; don't put anything in /etc/chromium.d and make these changes in chrome://flags/:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ybEyxzv.png[/img]

Chromium is 10x faster!! ;)

The chromium version I am using is:

Version 64.0.3282.119 (Developer Build) built on Debian 9.3, running on Debian 9.3 (64-bit)

Installed with sudo apt. :D
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:39 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Chromium is 10x faster!! ;)

Highly doubt that.
In fact I tried, it was 50x slower, as it wasn't using hardware acceleration but only Mesa Software GL which resulted in an extremely unresponsive browser!
Without passing --use-gl=egl it will use Desktop OpenGL which is done via software rendering in MESA.

So no it will not speed up your browser, it will slow it down.

Aside from that, what you activate in chrome://flags is the same you can put in the file under /etc/chromium.d/
In fact some of the flags you activated are already listed in the guide on the first page, such as ignore-gpu-blacklist and num-raster-threads.

sRGB is not supported by the Mali 450 used in the C2, forcing this color profile will give you nothing.

I don't know if you will gain anything from --enable-zero-copy, or --enable-gpu-rasterization but you can easily add this the the list of flags on the first site and get the same results, same goes for --enable-parallel-downloading, although this has nothing to do with how the browser reacts to scrolling and animations and alike.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:52 am

meveric wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Chromium is 10x faster!! ;)

Highly doubt that.
In fact I tried, it was 50x slower, as it wasn't using hardware acceleration but only Mesa Software GL which resulted in an extremely unresponsive browser!
Without passing --use-gl=egl it will use Desktop OpenGL which is done via software rendering in MESA.

So no it will not speed up your browser, it will slow it down.

Aside from that, what you activate in chrome://flags is the same you can put in the file under /etc/chromium.d/
In fact some of the flags you activated are already listed in the guide on the first page, such as ignore-gpu-blacklist and num-raster-threads.

sRGB is not supported by the Mali 450 used in the C2, forcing this color profile will give you nothing.

I don't know if you will gain anything from --enable-zero-copy, or --enable-gpu-rasterization but you can easily add this the the list of flags on the first site and get the same results, same goes for --enable-parallel-downloading, although this has nothing to do with how the browser reacts to scrolling and animations and alike.

Not sure what you're trying but it's faster for me. I am testing with browsing here and alarm forums and the "disk" usage in i3-wm doesn't go over 1.00!
If I use the export in /etc/chromium.d the disk usage goes over 1.5. again, it's faster for me so not sure what you're trying.
Doing exactly as I said above works great. ;)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby Nelars » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:27 am

Hi Meveric,

I just ran update today and ended up with some errors when upgrading, it appears there are some dependency problems related to 'mali450-odroid':

Preparing to unpack .../libegl1_1.0.0-2_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking libegl1:arm64 (1.0.0-2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libegl1_1.0.0-2_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libEGL.so.1.0.0', which is also in package mali450-odroid 20161218-r6p1-1
Preparing to unpack .../libgles2_1.0.0-2_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking libgles2:arm64 (1.0.0-2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libgles2_1.0.0-2_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0', which is also in package mali450-odroid 20161218-r6p1-1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libegl1_1.0.0-2_arm64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libgles2_1.0.0-2_arm64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libegl1-mesa : Depends: libegl1 but it is not installed
 libgles2-mesa : Depends: libgles2
 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 : Depends: libegl1 but it is not installed
 libwayland-egl1-mesa : Depends: libegl1 but it is not installed
 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 : Depends: libegl1 but it is not installed

~# dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:arm64:
 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:arm64 depends on libegl1; however:
  Package libegl1:arm64 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:arm64 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0:arm64:
 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0:arm64 depends on libegl1; however:

dpkg: error processing package libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0:arm64 (--configure):
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.26-6) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libwayland-egl1-mesa:arm64:
 libwayland-egl1-mesa:arm64 depends on libegl1; however:

dpkg: error processing package libwayland-egl1-mesa:arm64 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgles2-mesa:arm64:
 libgles2-mesa:arm64 depends on libgles2; however:
  Package libgles2:arm64 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package libgles2-mesa:arm64 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libegl1-mesa:arm64:
 libegl1-mesa:arm64 depends on libegl1; however:

dpkg: error processing package libegl1-mesa:arm64 (--configure):
 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:arm64
 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0:arm64
 libwayland-egl1-mesa:arm64
 libgles2-mesa:arm64
 libegl1-mesa:arm64

I tried removing it, but to no avail:
~# dpkg -P mali450-odroid
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of mali450-odroid:
 xserver-xorg-core depends on libegl1-mesa | libegl1; however:
  Package libegl1-mesa:arm64 is not configured yet.
  Package mali450-odroid which provides libegl1-mesa is to be removed.

dpkg: error processing package mali450-odroid (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing
 mali450-odroid

None of these command helped:
sudo apt-get clean
apt autoclean
apt -f install
dpkg --configure -a
apt -u dist-upgrade
apt -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade

Can you suggest a way to resolve this dependency problems?
Thank you!
Nelars

ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Unread postby Nelars » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 am

Never mind meveric...

Decided to start from scratch using your latest image.

Cheers!
Nelars

ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 am

the issue you described is an issue with the mali drivers.
The headers of the mali drivers and some part of the mali drivers itself are the same files as mesa drivers.
Normally the mali450-odroid package is configured in a way that it's allowed to overwrite the files from the mesa packages.
Maybe I missed something. I'll try looking into it, but if the latest image works for you, then I guess it's nothing to worry about :)
meveric

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch - GPIO error

Unread postby ZacWolf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 am

I'm trying to setup backlight controll for my VU8, and following the instructions at:
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/displ ... ht_control

...but when I execute:
echo 234 > /sys/class/gpio/export
-bash: /sys/class/gpio/export: cannot overwrite existing file

here's the listing for the location: /sys/class/gpio
0 drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    0 Feb  7 16:46 ./
0 drwxr-xr-x 84 root root    0 Feb  7 16:46 ../
0 -rw-------  1 root root 4096 Feb  7 16:46 export
0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    0 Feb  7 16:46 gpiochip122 -> ../../devices/platform/c1109880.pinmux/gpio/gpiochip122/
0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    0 Feb  7 16:46 gpiochip136 -> ../../devices/platform/c1109880.pinmux/gpio/gpiochip136/
0 --w-------  1 root root 4096 Feb  7 16:46 unexport

...is there a debian package that I need to install for this?
ZacWolf

Unread postby meveric » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 am

what user are you using to run the command?
Your output of /sys/class/gpio/export shows it can only be altered by the user root.
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 am

Look into "lsmod" output to check whether other drivers already uses the GPIOs or not.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby ZacWolf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:43 am

meveric wrote:what user are you using to run the command?

Root.

It looks like it requires the format:

echo 234 | tee export
echo out | tee /sys/class/gpio/gpio234/direction
echo 0 | tee /sys/class/gpio/gpio234/value
chown  $USERNAME:$USERNAME /sys/class/gpio/gpio234/value
echo 214 | tee export
echo out | tee /sys/class/gpio/gpio214/direction
echo 0 | tee /sys/class/gpio/gpio214/value
chown  $USERNAME:$USERNAME /sys/class/gpio/gpio214/value
exit 0

But it looks like none of this is required for the VU8 as the Stretch image turns off the backlight without using any of the GPIO (just using
xset dpms 30 60 120
) . But I'll test it on the VU7+ as that wasn't automatically turning off the backlight.
ZacWolf

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:18 am

Thanks to the help of @ptitSeb I got Kodi working on the C2 (and N1 for that matter).
Issue was a 64bit variable that wasn't handled properly by Kodi.

Now the next issue is a broken AML support or else we won't have hardware decoding in Kodi 17.
Solved one issue to hit the next one.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 am

meveric wrote:Thanks to the help of @ptitSeb I got Kodi working on the C2 (and N1 for that matter).
Issue was a 64bit variable that wasn't handled properly by Kodi.

Now the next issue is a broken AML support or else we won't have hardware decoding in Kodi 17.
Solved one issue to hit the next one.

Any ETA when you'll release it? the working Kodi? :)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:13 am

I can upload a "working" version of Kodi any time I want, as I already have the .deb file for it.
But as I said, it won't have hardware accelerated decoder at the moment.
That's why I haven't uploaded it yet.
Also I will upload new setup-odroid package to allow Kodi installation under Stretch which was disabled up to now.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm

meveric wrote:I can upload a "working" version of Kodi any time I want, as I already have the .deb file for it.
Also I will upload new setup-odroid package to allow Kodi installation under Stretch which was disabled up to now.

Any ETA when you'll upload a new image? and does Kodi lag or still work pretty good without hardware decoding?? :)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

There is no plan for a new image. There's no point of a new image, as nothing has changed that affects the image at all.

Playback depends on the video. H265 won't work, H264 will work up to 720p even some 1080p will work without hardware decoding, but may be skipping here and there depending on what is going on on the screen.

I found out that the missing hardware decoder is a Kernel problem caused by the changes made for the Media Tree support.
Means I will probably drop media-tree support (Never got any feedback on that anyway) and will revert to standard Kernel.

Still Kodi is not working correctly. I now have Kodi with hardware decoder, but still I don't get a picture everything is just black and Kodi says "Unknown Pixelformat" apparently it can't convert the video color format correctly.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 pm

meveric wrote:There is no plan for a new image. There's no point of a new image, as nothing has changed that affects the image at all.

Playback depends on the video. H265 won't work, H264 will work up to 720p even some 1080p will work without hardware decoding, but may be skipping here and there depending on what is going on on the screen.

I found out that the missing hardware decoder is a Kernel problem caused by the changes made for the Media Tree support.
Means I will probably drop media-tree support (Never got any feedback on that anyway) and will revert to standard Kernel.

Still Kodi is not working correctly. I now have Kodi with hardware decoder, but still I don't get a picture everything is just black and Kodi says "Unknown Pixelformat" apparently it can't convert the video color format correctly.

Hmmm, why say this then:

?
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:32 am

setup-odroid is a single .deb package that is updates through normal apt-get procedures.

But I will not create a new Debian-Stretch.img image-file just cause of a minor update.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 am

meveric wrote:setup-odroid is a single .deb package that is updates through normal apt-get procedures.

But I will not create a new Debian-Stretch.img image-file just cause of a minor update.

Thanks for the info :) any idea when you'll be updating "setup-odroid" ?
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 am

probably this weekend.. I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with the hardware decoder.
Kodi is working now, so what's left is fixing the hardware decoder.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:32 am

meveric wrote:probably this weekend.. I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with the hardware decoder.
Kodi is working now, so what's left is fixing the hardware decoder.

Nice! Looking forward to it. :D
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Any update on the new setup-odroid? :)
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:02 am

the new setup-odroid is ready and prepared... I also added a few things for ODROID N1.
But I'm still not further with Kodi itself.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:30 am

meveric wrote:the new setup-odroid is ready and prepared... I also added a few things for ODROID N1.
But I'm still not further with Kodi itself.

Thanks. Any ETA when you'll be pushing the new setup-odroid?
Also, FYI; your Stretch image now completes without manual intervention. it does give out a few errors like syscall but not sure what you done but it completes without failing...

Cheers.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Thanks. Any ETA when you'll be pushing the new setup-odroid?

The new setup-odroid alone won't help you. You need the Kodi package or else setup-odroid has nothing it can install.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Also, FYI; your Stretch image now completes without manual intervention.

I know. I found a fix and implemented it in my last version of setup-odroid. I already adapted to documentation on the first page.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:it does give out a few errors like syscall but not sure what you done but it completes without failing...

Cheers.

The syscalls come from the OS. The syscalls it wants to use only exist in Kernel 3.16 and higher, but we're still using Kernel 3.14 so these syscalls do not exist and the programs complain about it.
But it's not fatal so we can ignore it.
The fix for the installation was actually quite simple it's a dependency issue that I resolve upfront by installing a certain package before I start installing the desktop (normally it's part of the desktop installation, but fails due to another package that messes things up).
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:41 am

meveric wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Thanks. Any ETA when you'll be pushing the new setup-odroid?

The new setup-odroid alone won't help you. You need the Kodi package or else setup-odroid has nothing it can install.

So, When will you release it? both, I mean.

meveric wrote:

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Also, FYI; your Stretch image now completes without manual intervention.

I know. I found a fix and implemented it in my last version of setup-odroid. I already adapted to documentation on the first page.

I didn't realize. You should've added a comment on the last post like you just did. xD
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:57 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:So, When will you release it? both, I mean.

I'm not quite sure, I will probably upload both today, but it will only work without hardware acceleration for the moment.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:I didn't realize. You should've added a comment on the last post like you just did. xD

It doesn't affect anyone that already uses a desktop.
For new users, the documentation on the first page was adapted so they know it's working.
For everyone else I made a changelog in the forum: viewtopic.php?p=215564#p215564

I think that's should be enough.
meveric

Unread postby skyfly555 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:06 am

Hello,

I'm trying to install TL-WN722 v2 on Meveric's Debian Stretch, it's a Realtek 8188EUS.

With my RPI2, with Dietpi Debian Stretch I install it with this, from Mr EngMan.
wget http://fars-robotics.net/install-wifi -O /usr/bin/install-wifi
chmod +x /usr/bin/install-wifi
install-wifi

Can this be translated to Meveric's Debian Stretch?

When I try to install wifi with these commands, I get:
root@odroid-stretch64:~# install-wifi

*** Raspberry Pi wifi driver installer by MrEngman.
 *** Performing self-update
 *** Relaunching after update

*** Raspberry Pi wifi driver installer by MrEngman.

Your current kernel revision = 3.16.55+
Your current kernel build    = #1

Checking for a wifi module to determine the driver to install.

Your wifi module is Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2357:010c 

And it uses the 8188eu driver.

Checking for a 8188eu wifi driver module for your current kernel.
A driver does not yet exist for this update.
root@odroid-stretch64:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2357:010c 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@odroid-stretch64:~#

It seems the trouble is related to the kernel version. In http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/ you can find drivers for Raspbian and kernels 3.10.xx+, 3.12.xx+, 3.18.xx+ and so on; the C2 kernel version is Linux odroid-stretch64 3.16.55+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 28 15:09:51 CEST 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux.

Thank you very much,
skyfly555

ODROIDs: None yet

Unread postby meveric » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:19 am

apt-get install 8188eu-dkms

should be all that is needed, as it will download and install the drivers.
I just tried to install the package on my ODROID C2 and it worked right out of the box.
As I don't have this WLAN stick I can't say if the module is working though.
meveric

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS