[OS] Debian Stretch (WIP)

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch (WIP)

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:54 am

I have a question for you @meveric - I want to setup a C2 headless but I want to be able to get files from samba and use deluge, what's the best way of doing this?
thatchunkylad1989

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 am

installing and configuring samba headless shouldn't be hard to do, there are plenty of guides on the internet for that and it should be rather straight forward.
I know deluge mainly as a desktop application, so you might have to use a VNC server to configure it.
I don't know if deluge can be controlled from command line, but I guess google can help you answer that question as well.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 am

meveric wrote:installing and configuring samba headless shouldn't be hard to do, there are plenty of guides on the internet for that and it should be rather straight forward.
I know deluge mainly as a desktop application, so you might have to use a VNC server to configure it.
I don't know if deluge can be controlled from command line, but I guess google can help you answer that question as well.

Yeah, I've sorted it.

Cheers.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 am

Well, I can't use my C2......

It keeps crashing when I try and download something with Deluge, the blue light flashes every second and the C2 does nothing until I unplug the PSU and restart. :(
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 am

you should remote login into the board and check log files or output of htop / iotop when you do that to figure out what could be the issue.
Generally it should work though.
I've just downloaded an Ubuntu 17.10 torrent image via deluge on my C2 + Debian Stretch.
But my system was lagging quite a bit as well, at times it seemed like the entire system had stopped working (especially if you tried to load other programs), but in fact it was still going in the background.

My guess the distributed write operations are very bad for the SD/eMMC card and bind most of the I/O performance.
An external storage (USB HDD) is probably recommended in this scenario.

After the first download was done, I did a "sync" from command line to make sure all write operations are finished, after that the system was acted normal again.

To test my theory I attached an external HDD via USB and downloaded the torrent again, this time storing the file on the HDD instead of the SD card, result was as expected.. Download and system worked fine, no slow downs no blocking.

So make sure you use an external HDD if you want to download torrents, or else your SD card will have major issues.

This also means your SD card is probably not very "good" anymore and has issues writing data on it. You might want to consider replacing it, or at least wipe it with "0" and see if this helps to increase it's lifetime.
You should also try using fstrim -v / as this can also increase lifetime of the card (if supported).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 am

meveric wrote:you should remote login into the board and check log files or output of htop / iotop when you do that to figure out what could be the issue.
Generally it should work though.
I've just downloaded an Ubuntu 17.10 torrent image via deluge on my C2 + Debian Stretch.
But my system was lagging quite a bit as well, at times it seemed like the entire system had stopped working (especially if you tried to load other programs), but in fact it was still going in the background.

My guess the distributed write operations are very bad for the SD/eMMC card and bind most of the I/O performance.
An external storage (USB HDD) is probably recommended in this scenario.

After the first download was done, I did a "sync" from command line to make sure all write operations are finished, after that the system was acted normal again.

To test my theory I attached an external HDD via USB and downloaded the torrent again, this time storing the file on the HDD instead of the SD card, result was as expected.. Download and system worked fine, no slow downs no blocking.

So make sure you use an external HDD if you want to download torrents, or else your SD card will have major issues.

This also means your SD card is probably not very "good" anymore and has issues writing data on it. You might want to consider replacing it, or at least wipe it with "0" and see if this helps to increase it's lifetime.
You should also try using fstrim -v / as this can also increase lifetime of the card (if supported).

Thanks but I'm using a 16gb eMMC.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 am

eMMC storage is flash storage as well and has the same limitations as SD cards, although not as prominent as on an SD card it also has wearing and without fstrim eMMC can get really slow as well.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:35 am

meveric wrote:eMMC storage is flash storage as well and has the same limitations as SD cards, although not as prominent as on an SD card it also has wearing and without fstrim eMMC can get really slow as well.

Any tips to extend the lifespan of my eMMC? :mrgreen:
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:42 am

the OS should already be prepared for it.
Disabling access-time protocoling (mount option noatime) removes unnecessary writings of the last time a file was "accessed".
Using fstrim regularly should also help a lot.
Code: Select all
cat /etc/cron.daily/fstrim
#!/bin/bash
fstrim /

Avoid operations that writes a lot of tiny data on the disk like compiling, or torrenting, or webserver that create tons of tiny tmp and cache files.
meveric

Unread postby thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 am

meveric wrote:the OS should already be prepared for it.
Disabling access-time protocoling (mount option noatime) removes unnecessary writings of the last time a file was "accessed".
Using fstrim regularly should also help a lot.
Code: Select all
cat /etc/cron.daily/fstrim
#!/bin/bash
fstrim /

Avoid operations that writes a lot of tiny data on the disk like compiling, or torrenting, or webserver that create tons of tiny tmp and cache files.

Thanks but my system can't find fstrim.
Also, any tips for speeding up your Stretch image? like things to do after installing etc.
thatchunkylad1989

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Thanks but my system can't find fstrim.

fstrim is part of the package "util-linux" which should be pre-installed by default. It can only be run as root (or with sudo) not as a regular user.

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:Also, any tips for speeding up your Stretch image? like things to do after installing etc.

I don't think there's anything you can do to speed it up. By default barely anything is pre-installed at all, it's a very minimalistic Debian image, so there's nothing on it that slows it down.
The rest depends on you, what you install and run in the background.
There are some tools that can be usefull, like "preload" or "zram-odroid" that can help you speed things up in certain cases, but I don't think there is much I can suggest, as it always depends on the programs you have installed and want to use.
meveric

Previous

Return to Other OS