Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie (arm64)

Unread postby danielfmo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:10 am

meveric wrote:
Code: Select all
$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep AM_VIDEOCAPTURE
# CONFIG_AM_VIDEOCAPTURE is not set

Thank you maveric

I'm still a beginner but I'm already able to set that flag as I want and compile the kernel, what I don't know still is how to apply kernel patches...
If I'm not wrong this is the kernel source https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tree/odroidc2-3.14.y. The thing is that from there I get the version 3.14.79 and not the 3.14.108 that we get by upgrading this image.
Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thank you
danielfmo

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-C2

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:37 am

I will build a new Kernel and activate the flag.
Should be available with the next update.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Added new Kernel with /dev/amvideocap0 device activated: viewtopic.php?p=197418#p197418
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby danielfmo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 pm

meveric wrote:Added new Kernel with /dev/amvideocap0 device activated: viewtopic.php?p=197418#p197418

Hi @meveric,

Thank you

Unfortunately, that was not enough to make the aml-grabber of Hyperion.ng work.
It cannot allocate enough memory and I believe that setting the FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER to 12 instead of 11 like HERE and HERE will solve the issue by allowing to allocate 8Mb instead of 4Mb.

Can you please share your kernel sources? I'd like to do some testing by myself to be sure that it works before proposing a definitive solution.
Another question, does your kernel work with Harkernel’s Ubuntu image?
danielfmo

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 pm

danielfmo wrote:Can you please share your kernel sources?

I'm using the sources from HardKernel, but activate some extra flags such as your CONFIG_AM_VIDEOCAPTURE
danielfmo wrote:Another question, does your kernel work with Harkernel’s Ubuntu image?

Generally it would work, but you would have to remove the Kernel from HardKernel first, so you don't create any conflicts.
meveric

Unread postby danielfmo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:19 am

meveric wrote:
danielfmo wrote:Can you please share your kernel sources?

I'm using the sources from HardKernel, but activate some extra flags such as your CONFIG_AM_VIDEOCAPTURE

Can you share your kernel config? I would like to do some testing before asking you to change anything else :)
danielfmo

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:41 am

That's kinda hard.. I have a script that goes through several if then cases.. I don't actually know which one of them are set and which are already in place :D
But as I said, since it's the same source as the HardKernel once you can simply take their code and test there and I just add the flags you needed to my list.
Most of the stuff is unrelated to your issue anyway (additional joysticks and soundcard drivers and such).
meveric

Unread postby danielfmo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 pm

meveric wrote:That's kinda hard.. I have a script that goes through several if then cases.. I don't actually know which one of them are set and which are already in place :D
But as I said, since it's the same source as the HardKernel once you can simply take their code and test there and I just add the flags you needed to my list.
Most of the stuff is unrelated to your issue anyway (additional joysticks and soundcard drivers and such).

Thank you,

I understand, I'll be sharing my findings, so far enabling CONFIG_AM_VIDEOCAPTURE is not enough to make it to work.
And is a complete no go to ubuntu, is does not work even with Hardkernel's instructions.

Next I'll be testing in you Debian Jessie.

Just a note, at first I was surprised to find out that hyperion works out of the box in Libreelec then I've noticed that they do not use Hardkernel's Kernel source. Could we get something good from there?
danielfmo

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Since I don't know what they use I can't say it.
If you can show me a link to their sources I can compare the .config files that are created.
But I know that LibreElec use a lot of their own patches, and as long as I don't have the patches I can't do anything.
I won't use their sources directly since they are meant for OpenElec and I think they use different GPU drivers than we do and I don't want to mess with everything.
meveric

Unread postby Matcrash » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi meveric,

Thanks for your job.

I ve install your image for transform my C2 to Media Center and run Kodi because the packaging solution like LibreElec lock his system and I want install other software in my Debian on the future.

After following your instruction in page 1 (and fix a problem in pulse audio), when I run Kodi (from console), i have error with D-Bus library.

Can you help me ?

Matcrash

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: ODROID C2

Unread postby meveric » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:54 pm

kodi is a X11 application and won't run from console.
meveric

Unread postby Matcrash » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Oh, OK ! Thank you for your speed answer ! :)

At the beginning, I follow another tutorial (because i want run kodi on debian start).

So if I add this, Kodi run correctly ? :

adduser --disabled-password --disabled-login --gecos "" kodi
usermod -a -G cdrom,audio,video,plugdev,users,dialout,dip,input,netdev kodi (not sure that line is necessary ?)

Create file /etc/systemd/system/kodi.service :

[Unit]
Description = Kodi Media Center

# if you don't need the MySQL DB backend, this should be sufficient
After = systemd-user-sessions.service network.target sound.target

# if you need the MySQL DB backend, use this block instead of the previous
# After = systemd-user-sessions.service network.target sound.target mysql.service
# Wants = mysql.service

[Service]
User = kodi
Group = kodi
Type = simple
#PAMName = login # you might want to try this one, did not work on all systems
ExecStart = /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/kodi-standalone -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7
Restart = on-abort
RestartSec = 5

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target

Add right :

apt-get install policykit-1 upower acpi-support consolekit

And create file /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla:

[Actions for kodi user]
Identity=unix-user:kodi
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*;org.freedesktop.udisks.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

For test :
systemctl start kodi

And finally for start kodi at the beginning :
systemctl enable kodi

I know it's a little bit outside of your post subject but it's hard to find a clearly tutorial with these step...
I understand if you don't want to answer these questions.

Thank you in advance ;)
Matcrash

Unread postby meveric » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:49 pm

check the pathes... kodi is unter /usr/local not /usr on my images...
I normally just use a regular desktop installation and run Kodi from there. you can use .config/autostart to easily start a program.
You can even make Kodi it's own XSession and use that to start Kodi.
meveric

Unread postby Matcrash » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank you very much for your patience !

I test this tonight. :)
Matcrash

Unread postby francisscott » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello,

All work fine for me, except Kodi. There is no problem to watch video in 4k, but the gui stutters and the cursor is slow. I deactivated composite and it is a little faster and usable, but still slow. My desktop displays in 4k, could it be the origin of this problem ?

Thank for your help.
francisscott

Unread postby meveric » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Yes, the C2 has very bad scaling capabilities.
For example, install glmark2-es2 and run glmark2-es2 from the desktop.
After that try glmark2-es2 --fullscreen --annotate you will see a HUGE drop in FPS.

Are you using Mali DDX or fbturbo? you should have slightly better results with fbturbo, but still 4k will be slow on Kodi, but the videos should play fine, since they are displayed in their own layer.
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:02 pm

Mali DDX I think.

Is there a chance that this problem would be solve in the futur ?
francisscott

Unread postby meveric » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Mali DDX is known to be very slow, especially under 4k you won't have any luck.
Try switching to fbturbo (using setup-odroid), this should improve experience a lot.
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:41 am

The gui is still slow but it's usable. There is now flickerings when playing 1080p videos. In fact, it seems that 4k simply doesn't work on the c2.
francisscott

Previous

Return to Other OS