[HOW-TO(alpha)]: Install Magisk-v12.0.zip (with Xposed)

yong82
languages_spoken: english, korean
ODROIDs: odroid u3 x4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

[HOW-TO(alpha)]: Install Magisk-v12.0.zip (with Xposed)

Unread post by yong82 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Hello,

Although it's a bit flaky, I've successfully install Magisk-v12.0 and Xposed at Odroid C2 (marshmallow)
and they seem to work together well on "system-less" mode (although our C2 is full of rootsystem, :D )

The instruction is long and hairy, but here it is if you really want to try.
Since it is too long to read, I created them in github.

Thank you.

ps. I only tested this for few days. Don't blame me if anything breaks.

Link: https://github.com/jaejunh/odroid/blob/ ... 20OdroidC2

treobrian
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, U3

Re: [HOW-TO(alpha)]: Install Magisk-v12.0.zip (with Xposed)

Unread post by treobrian » Sat May 20, 2017 7:18 am

OK, I guess this is a really DUMB question, I'm sure you didn't go to all that effort if there was an easy way to get Magisk on an Odroid.

The question is: why can't you just flash Magisk to an Odroid using the USB-UART using fastboot? I expect it has something to do with the way Odroids boot?

Anyway, it is becoming more important to be able to get Magisk on Odroids because more and more apps are blocking devices that are unlocked and rooted. Netflix is heading in that direction apparently. That will stir things up a bit I think! :lol:

yong82
languages_spoken: english, korean
ODROIDs: odroid u3 x4

Unread post by yong82 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:31 pm

treobrian wrote:OK, I guess this is a really DUMB question, I'm sure you didn't go to all that effort if there was an easy way to get Magisk on an Odroid.

The question is: why can't you just flash Magisk to an Odroid using the USB-UART using fastboot? I expect it has something to do with the way Odroids boot?

Anyway, it is becoming more important to be able to get Magisk on Odroids because more and more apps are blocking devices that are unlocked and rooted. Netflix is heading in that direction apparently. That will stir things up a bit I think! :lol:
Well, I don't have USB-UART with me. :o I used Odroid-Utility to install Magisk*.zip and that basically failed to install it.
Then, I look into Magisk install script and I found it expected to extract standard boot,img. As you know we don't have such thing.
That's why I came up this work around installation because I really need to test xposed and magisk on on my c2.

BTW I haven't tried USB-UART (and fastboot), so if it works for you, could you please let me know?

ps. my magisk+xposed installed c2 works perfectly at first. Unfortunately, I found it silently dies when it stayed on for a day.
I am looking into this, but I really don't know why unfortunately. Do you have same problem?

Sorabo
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by Sorabo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Rather, I would recommend you to simply install Magisk (v15.0 is the latest one) by flashing.
It's totally up to you which one you opt. But, I would recommend you to flash because there is very few chances of bricking up of the device.
Latest Magisk Update: XDA
Installation Guide: TheCustomDroid

If it works, let me know.

will_santana
languages_spoken: english, portuguese, spanish
ODROIDs: XU4, C2

Unread post by will_santana » Sat May 25, 2019 6:53 am

During some tests trying to hide root from some apps I've tried the above method and it doesn't work anymore.
But I've figured out how to install the latest version of Magisk (19.2 during this post).
I'll update this post later with the updated instructions.

BTW, magisk hide didn't work for me. But Xposed rootcload did the trick.

Return to “Android”