mmiszczuk
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Odroid C2 still sux?

Unread post by mmiszczuk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:28 am

Hello.
As soon as the C2 odroid came out, I bought it. However, poor performance and low software stability have discouraged me from using this equipment. After a long time, I got out of the closet and checked how it looks now.
Uploaded the latest ubuntu + all patches.
Chrome cuts on youtube - low performance.
kodi opens smoothly, but only in the list for the election is 360p (no options, but stream). Total lime. Can anything be done with this junk?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Re: Odroid C2 still sux?

Unread post by meveric » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:02 am

The overall performance of the C2 is "decent" not great but ok.
Up to 1080p desktop resolution is something that you can work with.
Using 4k for a desktop will most likely result in a terrible user experience.

Chromium runs youtube videos up to 720p, but it's better to use Kodi instead.
Kodi can run anything up to 4k H265 either per local files (or in your LAN) and in some cases even streamed over the internet.

The gigabit Ethernet, makes it a ok-ish NAS, although it falls short due to missing USB 3.0 which limits the speed of any external harddrive greatly.

Gaming performance is a mixed thing, there are some dedicated gaming images running a version of retropie which apparently are quite decent.
But falls greatly behind a XU4.
Depending on what you want to do with it, it can be a decent board. Like using it for bit-torrent, or browsing the web and some mild gaming.
But if you're trying to use it for high performance stuff, then the C2 is probably not your friend.

Most people probably use it as a media player or running Android on it, where it can shine.

And no, since I have better options available, the C2 is not on the list of devices I use often, same as the C1 they are pretty much last on the list of devices I use most often.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mmiszczuk

Unread post by mmiszczuk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 am

Odroid is connected to the TV 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. It was to be used to browse the internet and movies (youtube, stream). Why do the videos placed on youtube up to 4k resolution, kodi load the stream 360p? (in the options is set 720p / 1080p) It looks terrible. I do not even think about games (even emulation of atari or amiga).

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:33 am

mmiszczuk wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 am
Odroid is connected to the TV 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. It was to be used to browse the internet and movies (youtube, stream).
Movies over browser is probably not working very good, but Kodi "normally" should work, depending on what image and Kodi version you use.
mmiszczuk wrote:
Why do the videos placed on youtube up to 4k resolution, kodi load the stream 360p? (in the options is set 720p / 1080p) It looks terrible.
I think that is something that youtube handles out depending on your network connection speed. If your speed is low it uses lower resolution.
Maybe you have a proxy and youtube "downgrades" your connection speed, but to be honest, I never had issues with that. Kodi was always playing at 720p for me.
I just tried on my C2 and was able to run my favorite 4k testing video in 720p on the C2 (search for "bermuda 4k" should be the first entry flying over bermuda...)
mmiszczuk wrote:
I do not even think about games (even emulation of atari or amiga).
"even emulation of atari or amiga".... well that's an understatement... atari and amiga are NOT EASY to emulate, and are very CPU intensive.
If you concentrate on 8, and 16 bit consoles, such as NES, SNES, TurboGrafx, Sega Mastersystem, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, or arcade systems such as CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, NeoGeo, FBA, Game Boy Color/Advance, ScummVM, etc.
These should run fine, but others may not work fast enough.
There are some decent Linux ports that work as well, RVGL (Revolt), Alien vs. Predator, CorsixTH (Theme Hospital), Hurrican (Turrican clone), ufoai was running surprisingly well, or Quake 2 should also work fine.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Wild Penguin
languages_spoken: english, finnish
ODROIDs: Odroid C1

Unread post by Wild Penguin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:28 am

As someone owning a C1, I need to voice my experiences / opinions.

First, this ( or these, C1+/C2) is a development board. If you are thinking about primarily using it as some kind of desktop replacement, you have purchased the wrong product.

That being said, I think the biggest snag with these devices (both C1/+, C2) is the partly closed-source display stack. There is still (up to this date) no KMS (i.e. on-the-fly / in-desktop environment resolution and refresh-rate switching), which is kind of lame for a media center. I would definitely choose something else for that kind of usage (either X86 hardware, or if I need to go with something else, KMS is a must for smooth experience, for playing all kinds of videos on different refresh rates). LibreELEC/OpenELEC (and related, if available?) can do on-the-fly refresh rate changes, but I believe it uses a Kernel framebuffer (no X.org running there). Not sure how they've implemented / done to get the refresh rate and resolution switching working there, but in any case it has not been ported to Linuxes.

It is still usable for many media/entertainment related tasks, but you need to be willing to tinker and experiment.

As for youtube videos in KODI: I have no problems, they all play at 1080p (which is the maximum the C1 can support, and also actually my current display). There have been some occasional youtube server issues. I believe the KODI addon is more sensitive to server issues on youtube's end, but a browser can more intelligently change servers. But this is just speculation... in any case, if I've ever had issues with youtube videos not streaming at full quality, it has been because of the plugin (and has nothing to do with the device).

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:46 am

Wild Penguin wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:28 am
First, this ( or these, C1+/C2) is a development board. If you are thinking about primarily using it as some kind of desktop replacement, you have purchased the wrong product.
See and that's the issue I have with the AmLogic boards, as the scenario you describe is mainly an issue with these boards, while other boards such as the Exynos boards (X,X2,U2/U3,XU3/XU4) or even the Rockchip based N1 are far better in that field.
And the AmLogic boards give a very bad example what to expect from a SBC.
Wild Penguin wrote:
That being said, I think the biggest snag with these devices (both C1/+, C2) is the partly closed-source display stack.
That's the case with nearly all ARM based boards, even with x86 based PCs you have this issue, NVIDIA or AMD also don't have opensource drivers, there are just some user-made open source alternatives, but these are no where near as good as the closed source drivers, so that alone should not be an excuse for a board.
Wild Penguin wrote:
There is still (up to this date) no KMS (i.e. on-the-fly / in-desktop environment resolution and refresh-rate switching)
Which is once again unique to the AmLogic boards, as all the boards mentioned above do NOT have this limitation, and can change resolution on the fly, and yes this includes on the X11 Desktop.
Wild Penguin wrote:
which is kind of lame for a media center.
I think this is the only exception here, as this IS possible for the C1/C2 to change video refresh-rate on the fly as the video layer is different to the display/gpu layer.

Wild Penguin
languages_spoken: english, finnish
ODROIDs: Odroid C1

Unread post by Wild Penguin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:03 am

I agree with some of your points. Haven't tried other mini-PCs, so can't comment on some of your points since I have no experince. However:
meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:46 am
Wild Penguin wrote:
That being said, I think the biggest snag with these devices (both C1/+, C2) is the partly closed-source display stack.
That's the case with nearly all ARM based boards, even with x86 based PCs you have this issue, NVIDIA or AMD also don't have opensource drivers, there are just some user-made open source alternatives, but these are no where near as good as the closed source drivers, so that alone should not be an excuse for a board.
NVidias implementation is miles ahead of the Mali drivers, and a good (or better) closed source driver is way better than a partly-working driver.

AMD users actually can use completely open drivers, if they wish. There is also the partially closed-source branch, and something like OpenCL is not up-to-date in the open branch, but the open branch will do fine for most average users (I'm thinking about those who will probably not even know what OpenCL is). The closed OpenCL part can reside alongside the open driver. Also, I believe the open driver is the default in most distributions and recommended for general desktop usage (it is advised to install the closed driver only if it contains some functionality which has not yet moved into the open driver). In AMDs case, I'm not quite sure about the development model, but it is quite good for FOSS software in general; improvements made in the closed driver are first tested there and then ported to the Open Driver (though, I'm not sure about the details; and it's quite off topic here).

In any case, my argument was not meant as a defense but critique of these boards. Closed source sucks as it is, but they should at least work enough on the closed source drivers that basic functionality is there (which it is not in this case). And there is little even an advanced user can do for a closed source blob....

mmiszczuk

Unread post by mmiszczuk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:43 am

Kodi 17.6. Resolution 720/1080 and when i want watch video clip Filatov & Karas - Au Au show me only 360p. Chromium want password when start. Odroid sux and I must buy much better raspberry pi
Attachments
IMG_20190420_172904_HDR.jpg
stream
IMG_20190420_172904_HDR.jpg (294.51 KiB) Viewed 774 times
IMG_20190420_172508_HDR.jpg
resolution
IMG_20190420_172508_HDR.jpg (346.3 KiB) Viewed 774 times
IMG_20190420_172327_HDR.jpg
Version kodi
IMG_20190420_172327_HDR.jpg (376.62 KiB) Viewed 774 times

Vasant
ODROIDs: Odroid-c1

Unread post by Vasant » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:17 am

I think this a bit unfair to the ODROID-C2 , considering that this is more of a Linux desktop issue.
Android works very well on this platform. But of course GNU/Linux fans don't want to hear that -:).
I just got myself a ODROID-N2 and will give Ubuntu a try some day.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:26 am

mmiszczuk wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:43 am
Kodi 17.6. Resolution 720/1080 and when i want watch video clip Filatov & Karas - Au Au show me only 360p. Chromium want password when start. Odroid sux and I must buy much better raspberry pi
Ok I researched into that issue and here is what I found:

1. this is a known issue and has nothing to do with the C2.
2. It depends on the media you try to play.
Search for "bermuda 4k" and choose the first one something about flying over bermuda (it's over 1 hour long).. you'll see it's being displayed in 720p
3. IT CAN BE FIXED!
On Debian Stretch I manually downloaded the package kodi-inputstream-adaptive (available from deb-multimedia).
As I use my own build of Kodi called kodi-odroid on the C2 I extracted the content of the .deb file into /usr/local/lib/kodi/addons and /usr/local/share/kodi/addons same as it was in the .deb file.
(On Ubuntu you might simply be able to install the package as is, but I don't know as I don't use Ubuntu)
After that you have to activate the VideoInput Adaptive plugin in your addon repository of Kodi.
Further you have to go into YouTube settings and go to MPEG-DASH where you have to activate MPEG-DASH to use the InputStream Adaptive plugin.

After that you can select all resolutions on YouTube on the videos you couldn't do so before:
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
mad_ady (Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:48 pm)

Return to “Ubuntu”