Help! Live TV streaming setup with TvHeadend and Odroid C2

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Help! Live TV streaming setup with TvHeadend and Odroid C2

Unread postby trimethia » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a SBC device that could run TvHeadend for the following two tasks (either one or another, not simultaneously)
(1) Stream through the internet live HD TV coming from a DVB-T2 usb dongle.
(2) Stream thought the internet live HD TV by means of a m3u list of an IPTV provider.
(no playback on the device, ideally just pass through streaming without transcoding)

According to https://github.com/pagnotta/DVB-T2_si2168_setup a raspberry Pi 2 would be enough for streaming live TV from DVB-T2.
Is there any reason why an Odroid C2 would be better suited for these tasks ?

As far as I know, the Odroid C2 has dedicated hardware for HVEC decoding, but in my case this does not help as I am not planning to decode(playback) on the device, only use it for streaming. Additionally (and ideally), I will not be transcoding (even if I were, I guess Odroid C2 CPU is not powerful enough and would struggle to transcode). Finally, gigabit ethernet would not suppose any benefit due to internet connection being the bottleneck.

Thanks in advance.
trimethia

languages_spoken: english, spanish

Re: Help! Live TV streaming setup with TvHeadend and Odroid

Unread postby rooted » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:05 pm

You could use a Pi 2 without issue to stream to a single device, if you want to stream multiple recordings or live streams you want gigabit.

I'm partial to Odroid and the C2 is a great device, I see no reason to get a Pi 2 vs a C2.

The C2 can not transcode in real time.
rooted

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby trimethia » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 pm

rooted wrote:You could use a Pi 2 without issue to stream to a single device, if you want to stream multiple recordings or live streams you want gigabit.

I'm partial to Odroid and the C2 is a great device, I see no reason to get a Pi 2 vs a C2.

The C2 can not transcode in real time.

Thanks. With an internet connection of <300 Mbps I guess gigabit does not really make any difference.
If I were to get a Pi that would be a 3b+ but was just wondering if C2 could be a better option for those tasks.
trimethia

Unread postby rooted » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:06 am

A 1080i HTSP (ATSC) stream is around 22 megabit/s which like I said a Pi can handle, but if you want more than a single stream you may run into issues.

Remember on a Pi USB bandwidth is shared, you will be using a USB dongle and USB Ethernet at the same time. Doubling the internal bandwidth required.

Use what fits your needs, I don't get paid either way =)
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:16 am

Don't believe him! He's saving up to buy a yacht for Christmas! [emoji14]
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby trimethia » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:59 pm

rooted wrote:A 1080i HTSP (ATSC) stream is around 22 megabit/s which like I said a Pi can handle, but if you want more than a single stream you may run into issues.

Remember on a Pi USB bandwidth is shared, you will be using a USB dongle and USB Ethernet at the same time. Doubling the internal bandwidth required.

Use what fits your needs, I don't get paid either way =)

Thanks, that is a good point. However I am not really sure about the numbers.

In my case I am interested in European TV channels using DVB T/T2. If I am not wrong the stream bitrate for such standards appears to be ~30 Mbps for T and ~50 Mbps for T2.
Suppose I have two USB tuners attached in a Pi 3b+, consuming ~100 Mbps of the common bandwidth. Bandwidth left for Ethernet (max 300Mbps) would be around 200Mbps?
This would mean that up to 2 streams can be possible in terms of bandwidth right? It is unknown to me if the Pi CPU/Mem would be able to handle multiple streams, which I have no idea...

(Btw, found some videos from a guy streaming TV from 3 USB tuners connected to a Pi here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDbVIWD8YU
Pi seemed to crash when using 4 tuners...)

That being said, my main concern of getting an Odroid C2 is driver support of USB DVB-T/T2 tuners. Pi does have lower performance than Odroid C2 but is likely to have better driver support and stability.
trimethia

Unread postby butmonkeh » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:59 pm

My Odroid is setup for dual USB DVB-T tuners with Tvheadend, and is quite happy recording 2 channels, and streaming or playing locally via kodi at the same time (while serving pi-hole, and vpn connection to the rest of the network). The 2 tuners are on the same hub on one usb port, and they record to a 2tb HDD on another port. Wifi connect is again via usb, to a 4g wifi router.

However, that's DVB-T with RTL2832U based cards, which have kernel drivers in 3.16. There are plenty of threads on here about people having issues building drivers for DVB-T2 cards, so if you decide to use a C2 rather than a Pi, then check your DVB-T2 cards have drivers available for our old kernel. I'm not familiar enough with building drivers from source, or dabbling about inserting modules into the kernel, and that has been the main reason I have stayed with DVB-T rather than upgraded to T2.

Hope that helps.
butmonkeh

Unread postby trimethia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:16 pm

butmonkeh wrote:My Odroid is setup for dual USB DVB-T tuners with Tvheadend, and is quite happy recording 2 channels, and streaming or playing locally via kodi at the same time (while serving pi-hole, and vpn connection to the rest of the network). The 2 tuners are on the same hub on one usb port, and they record to a 2tb HDD on another port. Wifi connect is again via usb, to a 4g wifi router.

However, that's DVB-T with RTL2832U based cards, which have kernel drivers in 3.16. There are plenty of threads on here about people having issues building drivers for DVB-T2 cards, so if you decide to use a C2 rather than a Pi, then check your DVB-T2 cards have drivers available for our old kernel. I'm not familiar enough with building drivers from source, or dabbling about inserting modules into the kernel, and that has been the main reason I have stayed with DVB-T rather than upgraded to T2.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I am thinking of sticking to DVB-T for the time being...
One last question, would it be possible to get HD /FullHD quality with DVB-T tuners ? Any tuner recommendations ?
trimethia

Unread postby butmonkeh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:57 pm

trimethia wrote:Thanks! I am thinking of sticking to DVB-T for the time being...
One last question, would it be possible to get HD /FullHD quality with DVB-T tuners ? Any tuner recommendations ?

Sadly not, as DVB-T only gives SD resolution. In the UK, some DVB-T2 muxes also carry some SD channels, so I miss a couple of fairly niche SD channels too, but nothing important. It may be worth having a look at your muxes in Spain, to see what channels are sent on T and T2. http://www.tdt1.com/ <-- may give you a starting point, but my spanish is poor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer%C2%AE-P ... 013Q94CT6/

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/100 ... 832u-r820t

That's the kind of tuner I use, but any based on that chipset should be plug 'n' play. They are very cheap, but not very signal sensitive, so you will need a good aerial.

Good luck!
butmonkeh

Unread postby butmonkeh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Just another thought.... If you aren't looking to use the Odroid to play files locally, there is a 4.x kernel for the C2 which may give you access to T2 tuners. I haven't had chance to try it, as the Odroid is busy 24/7, and I've read that there are some issues with it still.
butmonkeh

Unread postby trimethia » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 am

butmonkeh wrote:
trimethia wrote:Thanks! I am thinking of sticking to DVB-T for the time being...

Sadly not, as DVB-T only gives SD resolution. In the UK, some DVB-T2 muxes also carry some SD channels, so I miss a couple of fairly niche SD channels too, but nothing important. It may be worth having a look at your muxes in Spain, to see what channels are sent on T and T2. http://www.tdt1.com/ <-- may give you a starting point, but my spanish is poor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer%C2%AE-P ... 013Q94CT6/

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/100 ... 832u-r820t

That's the kind of tuner I use, but any based on that chipset should be plug 'n' play. They are very cheap, but not very signal sensitive, so you will need a good aerial.

Good luck!

Thanks! I am seeing some DVB-T tunes like Avermedia Volar Green HD which seem to "Support H.264 / MPEG-2 HDTV formats up to 1080i / 720p", what do you think?
https://www.avermedia.com/tv_more/produ ... r_green_hd
https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia_AVerTV_Volar_Green_HD_(A835)

Just another thought.... If you aren't looking to use the Odroid to play files locally, there is a 4.x kernel for the C2 which may give you access to T2 tuners. I haven't had chance to try it, as the Odroid is busy 24/7, and I've read that there are some issues with it still.

Thanks again! What is the reason why that kernel does not allow local playback?
Could you please point me to a build with that kernel ?
trimethia

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:10 pm

The 4.x kernel doesn't have video acceleration (decoding) fully implemented yet
mad_ady

Unread postby butmonkeh » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:45 am

I'm no kernel guru, but when I change kernel on my linux tablet, I do it this way:

1. download the 4 .deb files
2. put them in a folder
3. cd into that folder
4. sudo dpkg -i *.deb

When you reboot, you'll be running the new kernel. I'm sure there's info in the kernel threads.
butmonkeh

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 am

In c2's case you'll also need to update uboot and also convert boot.ini to boot.scr. There are instructions on the c2 mainline kernel thread.
mad_ady

Return to General Chat