Odroid-C2 mpirun installation for small cluster

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Odroid-C2 mpirun installation for small cluster

Unread postby abruno » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:28 pm

Dear all,

I am writing to you since I am trying to build a small cluster with odroid-C2 equipped with a eMMc 16GB Module C2 Linux.
I tried to install openmpi (different versions), mpich (different versions) from source and also using apt-get in any case, once the installation is concluded without any error message (and the installation seems to be done) I try to run mpirun, mpicxx, etc ... and I got always the same error message... Illegal Instruction. I tried to check on the web but I didn't find any information about this error.

Can you kindly help me with such issue?

Thank you very much in advance for your collaboration.

Kind regards,

Agostino
abruno

languages_spoken: english

Re: Odroid-C2 mpirun installation for small cluster

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 am

abruno wrote:Dear all,

I am writing to you since I am trying to build a small cluster with odroid-C2 equipped with a eMMc 16GB Module C2 Linux.
I tried to install openmpi (different versions), mpich (different versions) from source and also using apt-get in any case, once the installation is concluded without any error message (and the installation seems to be done) I try to run mpirun, mpicxx, etc ... and I got always the same error message... Illegal Instruction. I tried to check on the web but I didn't find any information about this error.

Can you kindly help me with such issue?

Thank you very much in advance for your collaboration.

Kind regards,

Agostino

Would you be able to share the error logs with a command you invoked? Also you can run both commands and show us what it says.
file mpirun
uname -a
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby abruno » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:00 pm

the results of uname -a is "Linux odroid1 2.16.57-25 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 30 19:27:38 -03 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux"

while when I try to run any command among these "mpirun, mpirun -np 2 *.MPI, mpiexec, mpicc, ...." I get always the same error

"Illegal instruction"

if I directly run a binary compiled with mpi library (which I know it can works also as serial) I get the same error: "Illegal Instruction"
abruno

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:10 pm

Ok, but still wondering what's arch type of mpirun. If mpurun is built for ARM 32 bit, not 64 bit, Illegal Instruction error can happen. So you must check with file command.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby abruno » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:21 pm

At the beginning I tried to install openmpi using apt-get, therefore I think is 64 bit since the repository depend upon the arch. But it didn't work.

Then I tried to install mpich or openmpi from source but neither worked.

If you think it can be useful I can try to re-compile one of them and send the log file of the configuration and installation step
abruno

Return to General Chat