Odroid c2 as Kodi HTPC with optical out.

qdz
languages_spoken: english french
ODROIDs: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Odroid c2 as Kodi HTPC with optical out.

Post by qdz »

Hi there,

I looking at the Odroid C2 to make myself a dedicated video files player running a lightweight Kodi dedicated linux OS.
My requirements for this is HEVC 1080p hardware processing (4k compatibility is a plus) with digital multichannel (Dolby D, DTS mainly) pass-through output for my A/V receiver which is quite old and does not have HDMI input. And Kodi should be launch and displayed at boot, being controlled by a remote controller only (like MINIX NEO A2 lite or similar).

The Odroid C2 will handle the hardware video processing and the HiFi shields from hardkernel seems to be perfect for the sound (192kHz/24bit resolution via S-PDIF). BUT it is not, it seems from my readings, yet compatible with Libreelec or Openelec. So I have looked around to find a solution and I've found that DietPi along with a script would work (and DietPi can be booted directly on Kodi apparently).

Could someone confirm me that C2+Hifi shield 2 running on DietPi would work as I'm expecting it to (pass-through via S-PDIF and stereo downmix through RCA plugs) ?
If not, could someone tell me if there is another DAC/OS combo which would give me satisfaction ?

Many thanks!
Cheers,
qdz.

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Re: Odroid c2 as Kodi HTPC with optical out.

Post by rooted »

Have you asked @Fourdee? He is the creator of DietPi.

I have the hardware, if no one responds I will test. My soundbar has optical in but I have no way to test if the resolution is 192/24.

qdz

Post by qdz »

I will do that and report here. Thanks for the suggestion rooted.

qdz

Post by qdz »

I got some infos.

The Hifi Shield Plus is working as wanted with DietPi.
As for the Hifi Shield 2, Fourdee told me
Fourdee wrote:I did experience issues with the HiFi shield 2, i believe due to the way the card is activated during boot. Sometimes the sound would output to HDMI when running Kodi as autoboot option. I've created a ticket for this and i'll see if we can get this resolved:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/680
I might go with the Hifi Shield Plus, the extra 3.5mm plug could be a treat to plug an headphone without having to use my A/V receiver.

qdz

Post by qdz »

And the final word :
Fourdee wrote:Ok found the issue, nothing to do with init service.

We have a feature in [hyperlink=http://dietpi.com/phpbb/download/file.p ... &mode=view]DietPi-JustBoom[/hyperlink] that allows you to enable a global AlsaEQ output through soundcard. Great for reducing 31hz band when using headphones.

When AlsaEQ is enabled in dietpi-justboom, delays Kodi starting, then outputs to HDMI. This occurs with all HiFi Shield soundcards and only Kodi.

So in other words, as long as you dont plan to use AlsaEQ in dietpi-justboom on your setup at the moment. Either HiFi Shield 1 / + / 2 will work fine:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -269874664

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Please note that the 3.5mm audio jack on HiFi-Shield Plus can't driver headphone.
It is a Line-out not a Headphone-out.

qdz

Post by qdz »

odroid wrote:Please note that the 3.5mm audio jack on HiFi-Shield Plus can't driver headphone.
It is a Line-out not a Headphone-out.
Thanks for the info odroid, I'll order the Hifi Shield 2 then.
Cheers,
qdz.

Return to “General Topics”