Replacing Amlogic S905

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby ibnyabbas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi all!

I have come through a Odroid C2 board with Amlogic S905 chip having burnt mark on packaging and I need to replace it. I have skills in BGA reworking. If i successfully replace will it be working fine (if no other fault is present in the board).

I mean Do I have to reconfigure anything (like U-boot) or any other steps?

Thanks in advance
ibnyabbas
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:48 pm

ibnyabbas wrote:Hi all!

I have come through a Odroid C2 board with Amlogic S905 chip having burnt mark on packaging and I need to replace it. I have skills in BGA reworking. If i successfully replace will it be working fine (if no other fault is present in the board).

I mean Do I have to reconfigure anything (like U-boot) or any other steps?

Thanks in advance

I think it may not work since ODROID-C2 programs an eFuse with a couple of information read by boot firmware and they are done in the factory.
User avatar
tobetter
 
Posts: 2411
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Paju, South Korea
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby odroid » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Because of the epoxy glue(under-fill process) under the S905 chip, it seems to be very hard to remove it first.
Image
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 28732
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby ibnyabbas » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:22 pm

tobetter wrote:I think it may not work since ODROID-C2 programs an eFuse with a couple of information read by boot firmware and they are done in the factory.


Dear tobetter!
Thank you for the reply . Can you please guide me any procedure through which I can work out or get help from the factory?


odroid wrote:Because of the epoxy glue(under-fill process) under the S905 chip, it seems to be very hard to remove it first.


Dear Odroid!

I had 5 C2 boards with some minor faults which i purchased from a local shop at little discount. I somehow managed to get out the AMLOGIC S905 from the underfill expoxy. It was a very hard task. I damaged 2 track points also but luckily I found out that they were GPIO pins. I have purchased 2 new Amlogic S905 as well for replacement. Can You please Guide me further in this working?

Thankyou
ibnyabbas
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Perhaps you can document your steps/experience for the hardware fans out there.
User avatar
mad_ady
 
Posts: 4600
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby ibnyabbas » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm

mad_ady wrote:Perhaps you can document your steps/experience for the hardware fans out there.


Dear MAD_ADY!

My story has just started so nothing to show up with except taking of Amlogic S905 IC off the board (I am keeping all snaps of the procedure for uploading on forum). I am looking forward to succeed in this reworking task with help of the seniors in this domain. I will surely put up a complete step line here.

Thanks
ibnyabbas
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby odroid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:08 pm

I don't think we can supply the fusing internal-ROM process to end users due to Amlogic license issue.
Sorry about that.
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 28732
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby ibnyabbas » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:41 pm

odroid wrote:I don't think we can supply the fusing internal-ROM process to end users due to Amlogic license issue.
Sorry about that.


Dear odroid!

Thankyou for quick reply. Sad to know about the License issue but its fine being a policy. But as an alternate solution, Do you Please supply Amlogic S905 ICs only with intra-IC configuration (like efuses and anyother conf. in ROMs)? So that I could buy and fix it on the board to get it working.

Regards
ibnyabbas
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby odroid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Because we have to run the fusing process on the board(after SMT production), we have to desolder the CPU and reballing a few hundreds of BGA lead after efusing.
We need to buy a special machine with a S905 customized stencil jig and tons of BGA Sn balls for the reballing process.
So the treated S905 IC must be much more expensive than new fresh C2 boards.
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 28732
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby ibnyabbas » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Dear All!

Thanks for the replies. I have taken all the ICs and Connectors off the faulty C2 board. so that I could use these components anywhere else.

I got new Amlogic S905 ICs in spare. Dont know what to do with them.

Regards
ibnyabbas
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Forgive my noob-ness, but I'm trying to learn. What is this process that writes the e-fuse? Does it load the code that allows the cpu to search and boot from emmc/sd? Isn't it hardwired into the processor? I'm guessing it differs from x86 where the cpu jumps to a specific address and bios/efi has the code to take over.
Is this bootstrap code written by amlogic or by the board developer? How is it uploaded in the factory? I'm guessing it requires a combination of pins to be connected and probably uses a machine with pins connected to the cpu underbelly to prevent soldering, right?
Is the ethernet mac part of this efuse, or does it get written to the phy chip?
User avatar
mad_ady
 
Posts: 4600
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby tobetter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 pm

mad_ady wrote:Forgive my noob-ness, but I'm trying to learn. What is this process that writes the e-fuse? Does it load the code that allows the cpu to search and boot from emmc/sd? Isn't it hardwired into the processor? I'm guessing it differs from x86 where the cpu jumps to a specific address and bios/efi has the code to take over.
Is this bootstrap code written by amlogic or by the board developer? How is it uploaded in the factory? I'm guessing it requires a combination of pins to be connected and probably uses a machine with pins connected to the cpu underbelly to prevent soldering, right?
Is the ethernet mac part of this efuse, or does it get written to the phy chip?

eFuse is the OTP type flash memory on SoC itself and can access through a couple of steps and not mapped to address/data bus. The (bootstrap) code that loads boot code from eMMC or SD are in another memory a.k.a IROM, this memory is provisioned when SoC is manufacturing. I don't know how IROM is provisioned. As far as I know, it's a mask ROM and cannot be replaceable after its silicon is fixed for manufacturing.
User avatar
tobetter
 
Posts: 2411
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Paju, South Korea
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks for the explanation. What does the eFuse store then? Why is it important?
User avatar
mad_ady
 
Posts: 4600
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: Replacing Amlogic S905

Unread postby ibnyabbas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 pm

I think "ODROID" can give some information about the Efuse. this topic is vaguely discussed in the Datasheet of S905. So hope to find increment in my knowledge as well.
ibnyabbas
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest