C2 overheating

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

C2 overheating

Unread postby spades » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 am

I have my C2 for about 2 years now and suddenly it has started to overheat. I have checked the temp using Kodi and it was 203F.
It is running the android OS and I use it solely for Kodi. It ran fine until just a couple of days ago and now runs intermittently.
I have taken these steps already;
Took off heatsink and removed the tape and replaced with thermal paste. Temp went down to 165F
Took off the cover and left it in the base and the temp stayed the same.

I have looked for a replacement for the heatsink only with a higher set of fins and could not find one.
I tried a fan, but was noisy, and it only lower the temp to 145F.

Can anyone tell me where to find a heatsink replacement or how to lower the temp?
Does anyone else have or has had this problem before? If you did how did you fix it?
Thanks
spades

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: C2 overheating

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:23 am

Something is probably keeping your cpu at 100% usage. You should run top to see what's up.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby spades » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:30 am

Sorry what is top?
spades

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 am

odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby spades » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 am

Yes J1 jumper is removed.

Can you tell me if the heatsink for the XU4 has the same mounting distance as the C2 heatsink?

If it does I would cut it down to fit the C2 and try it for cooling.
spades

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 am

Yes, the mounting holes position is exactly same.
The distance is 55mm.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby spades » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:40 am

Do you think the processor is going bad or is it just a thermal problem?
It just started happening and I have tried all I can and still cannot lower the heat.
I have not changed anything with the programs running.

I guess my last choice is to try that larger heatsink from the XU4 and trim off the sides to make it fit and see if that works.

Unless you (Odroid) have any other ideas?

Thanks
spades

Unread postby spades » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 am

WOW the blue heatsink would cost me $21 delivered. I guess that is NOT going to work for me.

Any other ideas?
spades

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 am

Where do you live?
Is there any distributor in your region?
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/distributor.php

BTW, can you check the CPU load and temperature together?
When there is no load and the ambient temperature is lower than 25C, the CPU temp must be lower than 45C.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby spades » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am

Well I did order from the US supplier. Much better shipping at only $3.19.

As for the temperatures. Under idle in a room temp of 70F it runs about 131F.
When running it is around 145F in the same room.

Could the processor be going bad?
spades

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

131F(55C) seems to be high.
My room temp. is around 22C and the CPU temperature is 42C with Ubuntu 16.04 Mate desktop in idle mode. I don't use any enclosure.
Code: Select all
odroid@odroid64:~$ cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
odroid@odroid64:~$ uname -a
Linux odroid64 3.14.79-117 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 2 23:46:30 BRST 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

If you use a plastic case, remove it and check the CPU temperature.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby cdu13a » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:11 pm

You mentioned that you are running android, and using it primarily for kodi.

It might not be in anyway connected to your problem, but have you updated(Depending on play store settings they may have updated themselves) any of the android apps, or did any of the kodi addons update around the time that you noticed the increased temperatures? It might be possible that something updated and the updated software is misbehaving, causing the increased temperatures.

I have not experienced it on a C2 but I have seen it on some of the kids android devices that they have had software installed that managed to heat up the device while it appeared idle.

If you have an extra microsd card you are not using, and wanted to rule out a software cause of the increased temps you could try flashing either the official ubuntu or android images on the extra card and try booting off of it to see if you get better temps with a fresh/different os install.
cdu13a

ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1

Unread postby spades » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Odroid: I removed the enclosure and that was temps without the enclosure in place, except I left the base on it to protect it from shorting.

cdu13a: Thanks for the thoughts but I also loaded a card with Librelec and bare bones installation and it still runs in the 130F range when running.

My major question is could the processor be starting to go bad or is this all related to needing more heatsink?
I ordered the blue heatsink that is used on the XU4 and will customize it to fit and see what happens, will update when I get that done.
spades

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 am

Can you check the CPU temperature on the command line without running Kodi?
If it is over 45C, your CPU might have a problem.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby spades » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm

I have installed another card with Librelec on it and running Kodi. It seems that while idleing the temp gets to be around 145F but after I run something the temp drops to 131F?
I know it sounds strange but have checked it several times. I am still waiting on the blue heatsink and will see what happens after that.
I am also going to try and install Ubuntu after I get another card to see what that brings.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
spades

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 am

"idling" could be relative.
The title screen of Kodi often has RSS feed running, which is scroll text on the bottom of the screen.
This text uses up HUGE amounts of CPU performance. So in fact "idling" in that case uses more CPU than running a video, where there is no text scrolling.
Also Video on the C2 is played on a different video Layer so the GPU does have nothing to do while a video is running, and CPU usage should also be very low, as decoding is done by the VPU not the CPU.
So in fact watching a movies, does less stuff (especially on CPU and GPU), than your "idling" does ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:25 am

Meveric is right. I forgot about rss. I disabled it a long time ago
mad_ady

Unread postby cdu13a » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 am

For comparison at a room temp of 18C(65F) I get between 42C(108F) and 62C(144F) depending on what its doing. This is running libreelec (https://github.com/Raybuntu/LibreELEC.t ... /rb-leia21) with the top of the plastic case off.

I went to check the temps remotely yesterday, and got a surprise. glad I did since I got 32C(90F), which is how I discovered the kids accidentally turned the furnace off instead of just turning it down when they went to school yesterday. So apparently living in Canada and turning the heat off in the middle of winter gives the most drastic reduction in temps, I wouldn't recommend that technique however. lol
cdu13a

Unread postby audiotechguy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

Try running Linux and keep it at idle to see your Cpu temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audiotechguy

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:19 pm

cdu13a wrote:For comparison at a room temp of 18C(65F) I get between 42C(108F) and 62C(144F) depending on what its doing. This is running libreelec (https://github.com/Raybuntu/LibreELEC.t ... /rb-leia21) with the top of the plastic case off.

I went to check the temps remotely yesterday, and got a surprise. glad I did since I got 32C(90F), which is how I discovered the kids accidentally turned the furnace off instead of just turning it down when they went to school yesterday. So apparently living in Canada and turning the heat off in the middle of winter gives the most drastic reduction in temps, I wouldn't recommend that technique however. lol
Offtopic: This is why you need a Home Automation system (like Home Assistant) - to collect sensor readings and automate things like heating :)
mad_ady

Unread postby spades » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 am

So the saga continues.
I tried to install Ubuntu on a different card in order to try it and see if I could get temps to compare.
Well, I DL the ordroid version, both the new one 16.0.4.3lts and could not get the wifi module3 to connect me to my router.
Then I DL the older one, 16.0.4.2lts and had the same thing go on.
As I do not know Ubuntu I could not get the wifi module3 to connect and now am at a stand still?
I thought, and also read, that the module3 was working but not mine. Is there any place I can go and find out how or why I cannot get the wifi to work?
spades

Unread postby odroid » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:10 am

Did you flash this latest image? WiFi module 3 should work out of the box.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/os_images/ubuntu/v2.4

Check "lsmod", "iwconfig" and "lsusb" outputs.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby spades » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 am

So when I go to the link provided the latest available is 2.3.
I looked for 2.4 and cannot find it.
I have flashed several times and still the wifi is not instantly found I have to pull it out and wait till if fails on both ethernet and wifi and then plug it in and hope it finds it.
Can there be something going on with my USB ports? If so why would they go bad from plugging and unplugging?
I still cannot get the system to set the TV to fit on the screen and have just about given up with it all.
I am sorry I am such a NOOBY but we were all there once.
I think I need more explicit instructions so if someone could either write them out or steer me to where they are I would be most appreciative of that.
Thanks again.
spades

Unread postby odroid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 am

Let's try to fix your TV overscan issue first because the network settings button on the right-top corner might not be visible on your TV.
crashoverride wrote:TV's, unlike monitors, have "overscan" and are designed to not show the edges of images. Almost every modern TV has a way to disable it. Its called different things by different manufactures. It has been called "1:1 mode", "just scan", "no zoom", and others. Consult your TV manual for details on disabling the mode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

If your TV has no such option, you can manually adjust the display size.
https://magazine.odroid.com/wp-content/uploads/ODROID-Magazine-201602.pdf#page=9

BTW, I could find 2.4(20170927) image on the server.
https://odroid.in/ubuntu_16.04lts/
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby spades » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:33 pm

OK so I tried the info for the overscan and it did not work the first time, I will try again after I reload since while playing with it I knock it out and cannot recover.

As for the 2.4 version, the link you provided above took me the listings and the only think I found for the C2 was 16.0.4.3lts so if that is 2.4 why is it labeled 16.0.4.3 and not 16.0.4.4?
I have tried to load that version and it would not load successfully but I will try again after you let me know that is the latest?

Sorry!!!
spades

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 am

ubuntu64-16.04.3-mate-odroid-c2-20170927.img.xz is the latest v2.4 as explained in the WiKi page.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/os_images/ubuntu/v2.4

Ubuntu 16.04.4 will be available in February 2018.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseSchedule
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby spades » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am

OK so sorry I missed the info showing 2.4 was in 16.0.4.3.
spades

Unread postby cdu13a » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Don't know which TV you have but some TV's like the samsung models I have here you can't directly adjust the overscan(In fact there is no mention of overscan anywhere).
However, on these TV's If you change the name of the input on the TV to "PC", it will turn the overscan off. This is the situation with a lot of samsung TVs. Other TVs may have other non immediately apparent ways of adjusting the overscan. So if you don't see mention of overscan in the TV's manual or on screen controls, It may be a similar setup, where what you have to look for is a way to name the input on the TV as "PC" or set some sort of PC/Computer mode.
cdu13a

Unread postby spades » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 am

cdu13a wrote:Don't know which TV you have but some TV's like the samsung models I have here you can't directly adjust the overscan(In fact there is no mention of overscan anywhere).
However, on these TV's If you change the name of the input on the TV to "PC", it will turn the overscan off. This is the situation with a lot of samsung TVs. Other TVs may have other non immediately apparent ways of adjusting the overscan. So if you don't see mention of overscan in the TV's manual or on screen controls, It may be a similar setup, where what you have to look for is a way to name the input on the TV as "PC" or set some sort of PC/Computer mode.

I have changed the TV to list HDMI/DVI as "PC" and that did not work. My manual says that is the input for a PC with DVI to HDMI cable but mine is HDMI to HDMI ala Odroid.

I looked at the settings and my TV doesn't have any settings for the overscan problem.

I managed to get the system up and running with 16.0.4.3 and it still goes to 2160 x 3840 and is so small I can barely read it.
When apply the boot.ini supplied by Odroid the system will not start at all.

Oh yeah I forgot to update the heat issue which is where I started in this thread.

The Blue Heatsink arrived and I installed it and tested the temps. As near as I can tell the temps went down about 15F and so I don't know if it was worth it.
I will try and get temps if I can ever get the Ubuntu Mate working at a resolution I can deal with.

Thanks for any help you can give.
spades

Return to General Chat