Trying to set up C2 as an auto start Kodi machine.

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Trying to set up C2 as an auto start Kodi machine.

Unread postby TheCalifornian » Fri May 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Hey everyone, new Odroid user here trying to set up a C2 to be a powerful, autostarting KODI box. I've been able to flash the latest Android OS and get it running, but have been having a lot of trouble trying to get the Google Play store, or Kodi running on it. If anyone couple point me towards some guides on this kind of setup, or possibly a build that has already been set up like this that I can reflash onto my SDCard that would be great. Thanks for all of your help.
TheCalifornian

languages_spoken: English, Spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Re: Trying to set up C2 as an auto start Kodi machine.

Unread postby zang74 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:45 am

And LibreELEC doesn't suit your needs?
zang74

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby zang74 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 am

As a new user to Odroid, I thought I might need to go on to explain a little bit more about what LibreELEC (http://libreelec.tv) is.

LibreELEC is a Kodi-based Media Centre OS run on Linux. It runs Kodi just like any regular OS does, but it does so incredibly fast. The underlying OS is tuned and pruned to suit Kodi. It works well and is pretty high performance. It can play 4K media like a champ on the C2, and it boots up and into Kodi in about 10 seconds flat.

That said...

Kodi is NOT like running any old Linux. The LibreELEC motto is "Just enough OS for Kodi". It's a bare-bones Linux install. Everything runs as root, but the underlying OS is read-only. So you don't have apt and can't really install or run your own software (outside of the confines of the Kodi interface). But read-only OS makes it more robust in the volatile world of SD-card based SBCs. But I digress. In LibreELEC, you can of course install Kodi Add-Ons like any other Kodi install on any other OS. And some Linux command-line apps are available through the LibreELEC repository. Again however, there is no GUI, just Kodi. But you won't likely find a more tuned, more efficient Kodi install anywhere else.

Now, you mentioned Google Play store, but not what your intentions were. Were you using it to install Kodi on Android, or were you looking to install other Android apps that can be accessed by Kodi (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Instant Video)?

The latter you won't get from LibreELEC—at least not yet. The next version of Kodi will likely fully support inputstream w/widevine and be able to play Netflix. Amazon video is (sort-of) already there, but not Netflix. But in due time it will. There are kludges that get around some obstacles, but nothing for the layman.

But if you want to give LibreELEC a try, I highly suggest it. There are several community builds out there, but the official Odroid C2 SD card image can be found on https://libreelec.tv/downloads/ (look for the pulldown menu under "direct downloads"). To make it easier, you can download their USB/SD Creator, which can download the image and burn it to SD card for you; it's also listed on that downloads page. If you're on a Mac however, I'd suggest not using that installer, as it is slow as molasses and buggy (in my experience) *and* requires you to disable Gatekeeper. Just download the SD card image I mentioned above and burn it with Etcher (https://etcher.io). Easy peasy.

From there, it's just a matter of inserting your SD card and giving the C2 power. It'll boot into LE and you'll set it up like a normal Kodi install.

Hope this helps.
zang74

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby TheCalifornian » Sat May 20, 2017 4:25 am

Thank you so much! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'd seen LibreELEC mentioned a few times, but never what it was. The only reason I wanted the Google Play store was to download the apps for Kodi and autostart. Thanks again for your help.
TheCalifornian

languages_spoken: English, Spanish

Unread postby samuel412 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:50 am

You can download kodi from kodi home page.
In the odroid built-in app you got auto start kodi.
samuel412

languages_spoken: English

Return to General Chat