Joelhaggar
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U2
X2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

U2 Obsolete?

Unread post by Joelhaggar » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:31 am

Hi, We have built our product using the U2 and now I see it's not available any more. Is this correct, they will not be available? It looks like the U3 won't be available to ship for another few weeks so I guess there is no option but to wait? It would be nice to have lots of advanced notice before a product like this goes obsolete. Also just for feed back the reason I like the U2 is because of the integrated heat-sink. The U3 and other Odroid's don't have cases worthy of including in our product, where at least the heat sink of the U2 looks nice inside a control panel. I really hope we didn't make a mistake by adopting Odroid as our platform, as of right now I'm fairly disappointed in the lack of advanced notice.

Joel.

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: U2 Obsolete?

Unread post by mdrjr » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:20 am

Our products normally last 1 year. That's a good timeframe for a dev board.
Note that U3 is 100% software compatible with U2 :)

pepedog
ODROIDs: U2x2

Unread post by pepedog » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:25 am

I don't think notice would have been available because of the Osbourne Effect
I have played with an Osbourne.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:32 am

Really sorry about the sudden obsoleteness of U2.
We will make the advanced notice when our product is discontinued.

U3 has a plastic case which is only US$4 even I don't know it is suitable for your application.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 8750628451
If you place order of U3 now, you will get it within 4 weeks.

Once again, really sorry about your inconvenience caused.

Joelhaggar
ODROIDs: U2
X2

Unread post by Joelhaggar » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I'm excited about your new products. Especially the 8 pin connector for the IO board, this is a really great option, and the pricing being lower is excellent. I know it's hard to know the future products but do you think the form factor of the U3 will be used for more than a year?

I wouldn't be able to use the standard case but if we could have one make that is solid black. Can you share where these are made and perhaps the company that makes them could easily make a slightly different one?

Thanks,
Joel.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Yes, we can guarantee 1 year(at least) of U3 production.

We will release the 3D data( in step file format) of our standard case by early next month.
I hope some 3rd parties can make more solid case for industrial application.

salutte

Unread post by salutte » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:27 pm

The sudden discontinuation of your products have ruined my work. Although I know its my fault, I should have checked it beforehand, but hurts anyways.

We have designed an industrial product designed very specifically around U/U2, as size was critical, and now our casing and our custom designed heatsink is all but useless. In our industry we need to pass very long certification processes before actually selling a product. Changing a product every year is absolutely unthinkable. I thought that U1/U2/U3 would be a line of products with identical form factors (same as X and X2 used identical form factors) and it was chosen for this reason.

Now we plan use an alternative system based on a dual core A15 (sufficient for us, even a single core would be enough), costing around $300-$400 each. But at least we know that the board will be supplied for at least 5 years.

Seriously. Who would design an industrial case that would be obsolete in less than 1 year, with absolutely no notice about upcoming products or discontinuation?

The fact that I bought a XU two weeks ago to evaluate its performance, and find last week that it is discontinued has killed me. Its in the trashcan now.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Really sorry about the sudden discontinuation of U2.
In fact, we didn't know that how many customers are using the ODROID as a component for their industrial projects.
We will keep in mind that usage cases.

As we noticed in this link, the XU will be restocked by end of April. It is not EOL. Just an out-of-stock due to the shortage of some key components.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 7510300620
XU will be available by end of this year.
And XU/XU2/XU3... will have the identical form factors.

Anyway, I totally agree 1.5~2 years of life cycle is not sufficient for the industrial products.
Once again sorry about that.

nexarine
languages_spoken: English & German
ODROIDs: XU Lite
8GB eMMC (Android)
Wifi module
RTC battery
Logitech k400r keyboard/trackpad
And more :-)

Unread post by nexarine » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 am

salutte wrote:The fact that I bought a XU two weeks ago to evaluate its performance, and find last week that it is discontinued has killed me. Its in the trashcan now.
I think I'm sick now. Why throw an amazing little computer like this away? You could have resold it or something. :(

salutte

Unread post by salutte » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:08 am

Thanks for the update, and don't be sorry. It was definitely my fault.

It is part of my work to evaluate and suggest the best architecture to use in different projects, and lately I was very happy with Odroid products as the design and the support quality is superb. It is true that in several projects the form factor is not critical, so if the current board becomes obsolete, we can just migrate to a newer system. This has successfully worked for several small scale projects, but does not work on medium/large scale projects were certifications and custom designed casings are a problem.

My frustration is basically fueled by the fact that Hardkernel produces an excessively awesome line of ARM boards, but we cannot actually use them for our medium/large industrial products.

However it is good to know that XU/XU2/XU3 will have identical form factors!

BTW, the XU is not physically in the trashcan. It is in the box of unused development boards, so knowing that in April there will be more, I will pick it up for the evaluation :)

nexarine
languages_spoken: English & German
ODROIDs: XU Lite
8GB eMMC (Android)
Wifi module
RTC battery
Logitech k400r keyboard/trackpad
And more :-)

Unread post by nexarine » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:10 am