Carmageddon (Dos Version) on Dosbox Turbo

Cartridge
languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3
Been thanked: 0

Carmageddon (Dos Version) on Dosbox Turbo

Unread post by Cartridge » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:32 pm

I got the Promo version of Carmageddon the day it came out. (24 hour thing) And I have to say, I don't like it one bit.
It's not the same feeling at all, missing cockpit view, other than front bumper view and Close view from behind.
They made Max Damage as annoying as possible, unlike the original.

The best part!

I have the Original CD of carmageddon and I happen to have "Fixed it" to play on my ODROID without any CD.
I have pictures/dosbox conf to share but let me explain first. I have it running ALMOST like a charm, and as I can't really get a FPS on Dosbox turbo, I assume I'm getting around ~45FPS. The bad news is, it's a bit choppy at some moments (Like pictures being taken thing)
and I have a bit of a problems with the Lines it has. Now on with the pictures.

As you can clearly see here, the line problem I have. I have yet to find what causes this.
And I cannot get a faster rendering of the game then this dosbox turbo config file.
dosbox.conf

--EDIT--
Forgot to mention, even at that FPS, it's very playable. Not smooth but playable.
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Carmageddon (Dos Version) on Dosbox Turbo

Unread post by mdrjr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Good.. I like this game :) Good to see it running on ODROIDs :)

I think that the x86 to arm translation is slow (well, every arch translation is). That's why you are getting such low fps's :(

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:20 am

Have you tried the PS1 version? Not sure who it looks compared to the DOS version, but performance wise it should be much smoother then DOSBox
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:50 am

Yes meveric, the PSX version is indeed at full speed but the gameplay is not the same. It feels like Carmageddon 2 or TDR2000... Why do ports have to mess with the gameplay? :P

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:55 am

good question, but i just found a rather good port^^
from GBA to PSP, they really improved the PSP version without messing up the original game (Riviera - The Promised Land) i rather like it.. guess i'm gonna play it through another time^^
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:20 am

HEY! You have given me an idea!!! You pointed out carmageddon for PSP... PPSSPP may be able to run it. I have to try it, THANKS MEVERIC!!!

--edit--
Can you link me :P?
I'm searching and all I'm getting so far is petition to get it for psp.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:19 am

i think you misunderstood me.. i was a little off topic here talking about another game, that was actually a good port, since you stated most ports are worse then the original..
i don't think there was a carmageddon port for PSP

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:11 am

Ok, So, after days of tinkering with dosbox turbo, implying I can't get qemu to work (SDL app) I have gotten as close as to get AT LEAST sometimes a smooth drive. I'm assuming I'm getting around 50FPS, when a lot of action, around 30-35 but quickly jumps back to SORT-OF being smooth. So the game is completely playable now but there are things I'm still working on to find out how to speed it up. The cockpit view, I'm also assuming around 15-18 FPS. Here is my Dosbox Config file. Turbo cycles is a big no-no. Turbo VGA is a bigger no-no for carmageddon.
Turbo Audio does not really affect anything if off or on. If you decide that the Auto Cycles are not as fast as you thought, put your cycles to 39000, this will cause audio glitches but renders a bit faster. If you still think it's not fast enough, put turbo cycles on and put in 32000 cycles.
All these extra options cause a bit of stuttering of any kind but you will get what you want :P

expect the download in a very fast flash and a picture of how the game should be resized to get optimum speed!
dosbox.conf <- Conf file
http://i44.tinypic.com/dn0wo9.jpg <- Picture

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:00 am

Turns out, with Turbo Cycles on and 35000 cycles is the best rendering I could get. It may get choppy at very fast movement but quickly goes back. I think this may be the last fix I upload because I don't think I can do anything better at this moment.
dosbox.conf

(thanks robroy for your couch potato image, I could select a file to upload without crashing/not showing, on any sharing website.)

--edit--
I forgot to point out the Turbo Cycles option makes the game crash after pressing esc or ending a race 1 out of 3 (4 at max.)

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Again, After days of tinkering with dosbox (Not only dosbox android version but also Linux version and Windows)
And I can't seem to get the same FPS or better than my ODROID! The game is best played on the ODROID despite the line problem. I was using a HP Compaq Small Form Factor DC5750 which includes ; 1GB of Ram (Will be expanded soon) a 64MB Card with 256MB of shared ram to video (ATI Xpress 1150 Linux only supports this card Debian/Ubuntu 8.04 and lower so the testing was made using Mesa drivers, which is compatible.) a 64Bit processor @ 2GHZ Dual core. And still this is not enough..
If I were to jump back to Windows 95 (MMM My favorite!) I would be running it in a jiffy. But I hate the hassle to patch things 1 by 1 to make it work with higher ram, 64 bit processor, Dual Core... You get the point. Now while my testing of where I should play the game most often, on Windows, I had a big laugh, I had great speed going, was on Coastal Carnage
and all of a sudden after hitting the kicker (Up the hill on coastal carnage where there's a U-Turn after the hill, there is a small kicker leading you to a small platform and a crane) I had hit the 2nd kicker in midair so hard, I never thought it was possible in this game but I managed to get stuck in that 2nd kicker XD Lookie down here V

I thought it was impossible to get stuck in this game, as I never actually found any bugs or going through walls as many old games do (Of course you can't go through walls on carma) Of course, I recovered (Default key Insert)

I decided to extend my testing and go with installing Windows 3.1 with Win32s and all possible to get carma to run natively on dosbox Windows 3.1. If all else fails, Windows 95 will be installed (Of course I know stability...Better get my SDL-Qemu app to work) All of this on DosBox/Turbo/AnDosBox and Qemu. IF I can get Qemu to work.

I have had some experience using a Windows 95 patch to play on XP and windows vista (Win7 wasen't available at the time)
It was a Win95.exe not runnable under dos. It ran quite well and this might be what I'll be using for testing on Windows but I will also give a shot at the original DOS mode even though I expect pure mutilation and not even playable... I have some trouble finding the windows 95 patch...
So yea, if you like where this is all going, stay close.

Toro
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Toro » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:07 am

DosBox Turbo for Android is by far the best DOS/Windows emulator I have used on any platform. The fact that Carmageddon runs better on Android with DosBox Turbo than it does on a PC is a testament to how fast DosBox Turbo is... basically leaps and bounds ahead of all the other DOS emulators for Android.

I think the reason for the lines in Carmageddon is due to the FPU emulation in DosBox. On any platform other than x86, the FPU has to be emulated... the DosBox FPU emulation is not 100% accurate, thus producing the lines. I get the same lines on AMD64 build on my linux box, but it works fine w/o lines on the 32 bit build.

Return to “Others”