4GB Class (4) SD Card, Harsh much?

Cartridge
languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3
Been thanked: 0

4GB Class (4) SD Card, Harsh much?

Unread post by Cartridge » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 am

I've been experiencing very slow speeds with my ODROID because of the Class 4 card. I know that I can use an external usb drive to depend on after boot with micro SD but will it make a difference? How high can the 2.0 USB ports acheive? If it makes a difference, is there a tutorial on the forum or somewhere else to do this, such as using Debian Wheezy by Neagix. Offtopic question, if I plug my 1TB drive (3.0 USB) on it, will the ODROID reboot because of the 2A plug? I don't wanna cause damage to this beautiful device.
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: 4GB Class (4) SD Card, Harsh much?

Unread post by mdrjr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:04 am

1. Class 4 SD is a MAXIMUM of 4Mbytes/s writing speed. That way too damn slow. ODROID's can do ~25mbytes/s on the sdcard interface.. a USB HDD will do 30Mbytes/s. a eMMC will do ~50Mbytes/s

sert00
languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by sert00 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:18 am

usb 3.0 hdd---better use an external powered usb hub for it
microSD---go with a UHS-I and problem solved
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....

droider
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-X

Unread post by droider » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:13 am

Not all UHS-1 are good, the problem is not the top speed for large files, the problem generally is the random 4k write speeds (which is what most OS operations typically do). The class 4 (that many people use) comes from documented non-fake Sandisk SDHC class 4 cards that had a good speed of about 1.3-1.8Mbps vs like .01-.3Mbps of other cards (including class 10 cards). Of course not all class 4, or class 6 are good either, you will have to follow the benchmarks on the particular model. Not all SSD's are good either, they suffer from the same random 4K issue (like the SanDisk ReadyCache -- has horrible 4k performance).

Personally I have used a class 10 on Nook color and experienced a lot of force closes, switching to a class 4 Sandisk resulted in a very stable OS.

atacamar
ODROIDs: u3

Unread post by atacamar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:41 am

^this

I have had much better android perf. on some old hardware with non-fake SD cards, class 2/4 cars have superior small file/read write vs. class 6,8.10 cards and class 2/4 of other makes

late to post but reading the article on ODROID magazine had me thinking of this exact issue.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:10 pm

It is a kind of roullette.
Some class 2/4 sd shows much better performance than class10 especailly small sector access.
But that phenomenon is not even because most SD manufactures are using different NAND flash for each batches.

atacamar
ODROIDs: u3

Unread post by atacamar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:48 pm

odroid wrote:It is a kind of roullette.
Some class 2/4 sd shows much better performance than class10 especailly small sector access.
But that phenomenon is not even because most SD manufactures are using different NAND flash for each batches.
While batches do differ, sandisk consistently shows the fastest times for random writes while other makes tend to do very poorly. Class 6,8,10 cards sacrifice random write times to obtain faster sequential write speeds. You have to chose a card based on needs. A good xda thread that discusses the issue. I've had very good luck picking up sandisk and benchmarking before selecting an sd card.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1150369

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread post by robroy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 pm

If it makes a difference, is there a tutorial on the forum or somewhere else to do this, such as using Debian Wheezy by Neagix
@suriyan has an article in this month's magazine that details how to use a USB drive for storing the root file system.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

Return to “Others”