oCAM Firmware and Compatibilty with Linux

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

oCAM Firmware and Compatibilty with Linux

Unread postby Ameridroid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:25 am

Hello ODROID Team,

Here is a request from a customer who is wanting to use the oCam on a version of Linux outside of ODROID. Is this possible. Please feel free to leave your insight.

" following up on correspondence about issues our team has been experiencing with the ODroid oCam. It seemed plausible that the issues we were experiencing were due to outdated Firmware on the system, and I have begun working on updating that Firmware. Unfortunately, I am a little stuck on the process as the documentation (https://github.com/withrobot/oCam/tree/ ... /Update_FW) is a little vague.

Specifically, I have done steps 1-3, but am unsure what the process is for completing step 4.

I also want to note that ideally, when this Firmware update is complete, we would like to be able to use the device both on the ODroid platform and on our Ubuntu Linux (16.04) development machines. I don't know if this is possible or if you have feedback on this as well. I understand there will still likely be some coding work to get the data from the camera on our end as well."

Thank you in advance for developer help.
Ameridroid

languages_spoken: english

Re: oCAM Firmware and Compatibilty with Linux

Unread postby chuples » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:43 am

Hello All,

Quoted user here. I've attempted to find ways to install the updated firmware for the camera without much success.

Following the instructions, there were no drivers specifically slated for Windows10 compatibility, so I just tried one of the more recent drivers (8.1) and the driver update threw some error.

Now the system can no longer erase the firmware (via the UpdateFW executable) and Windows will not let me attempt to install a different driver to the device (as it claims it already has the best available driver installed).

Ideas?
chuples

Re: oCAM Firmware and Compatibilty with Linux

Unread postby WITHROBOT » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:07 am

Windows FX3 USB driver for Win8.1 should work on Win 10.

When connected to a Windows host, oCam can appear as one of the following three on device manager;
- Normal device under camera(for Windows 10) or imaging devices(for Windows 7). This means that oCam firmware is installed and working.
- "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers". This means that oCam firmware is erased but Windows FX3 USB driver is installed and working for downloading or updating the firmware.
- "WestBridge" under "Other devices". This means that neither oCam firmware nor Windows FX3 USB driver is installed.

We would recommend the following procedure to check and re-install the Windows FX3 USB driver;

For Windows 7,
1. Connect the oCam to check if it appears under the "imaging devices".
If you have erased the firmware successfully, it should not appear.
2. If you see "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", the oCam firmware is erased and the FX3 USB driver is installed and is working.
If you want erase the driver and refresh it, right click on "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" and uninstall it with "Delete the driver software for the device" checked.
3. Disconnect the oCam and reconnect it to check if the FX3 USB driver is deleted.
You should see "WestBridge" under "Other devices".
4. Right click on "WestBridge" and update the driver by selecting the folder "x64" or "x86" under "drv_1.2.3.10/win7" depending on your system type.
5. Disconnect the oCam and reconnect it to check if the FX3 USB driver is installed.
You should see "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
Now you are ready to install the oCam firmware using the "UpdateFW" executable.

For Windows 10,
1. Connect the oCam to check if it appears under the "camera".
If you have erased the firmware successfully, it should not appear.
2. If you see "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", the oCam firmware is erased and the FX3 USB driver is installed and is working.
If you want erase the driver and refresh it, right click on "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" and uninstall it with "Delete the driver software for the device" checked.
3. Disconnect the oCam and reconnect it to check if the FX3 USB driver is deleted.
You should see "WestBridge" under "Other devices".
4. Right click on "WestBridge" and update the driver by selecting the folder "x64" or "x86" under "drv_1.2.3.10/win8.1" depending on your system type.
5. Disconnect the oCam and reconnect it to check if the FX3 USB driver is installed.
You should see "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
Now you are ready to install new firmware using the "UpdateFW" executable.
WITHROBOT

ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Return to oCAM USB 3.0 Camera