Received oCam-1CGN-U with damaged sensor readouts

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Received oCam-1CGN-U with damaged sensor readouts

Unread postby inecho » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:08 am

Recently i bought the oCam, tested it for the first time and had good overall image quality, but randomly distributed pixel errors which you can find in the attached image
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e50fafs4xjvqil4/Screenshot%20from%202017-11-30%2021-35-45.png?dl=0
Furthermore, the green light is not flashing after the second plug-in.
I wrote a mail to odroidAThardkernelcom and they said that i should post this problem here, so that you can help me out. I hope you can :)
Cheers
inecho

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU-4

Re: Received oCam-1CGN-U with damaged sensor readouts

Unread postby odroid » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 am

Can you test the oCam with your PC to narrow down the root cause?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby WITHROBOT » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 pm

The pixel errors are natural phenomena because generally image sensors have some pixels that are more sensitive to light. Another processor, ISP, will be needed to cover the pixel error in post processing, which is not included in the oCam-1CGN-U.
These overly sensitive pixels can be more evident when you increase the overall gain.

Regarding the green light, it is also natural because it flashes only once on the power on.
WITHROBOT

ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Unread postby inecho » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:22 pm

@odroid
well the root cause are the not functioning pixels on the cameras sensor array. in the following image you can see the systematic, reproducible pixel errors ... if there is a deeper explanation, it's far beyond my knowledge.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7y2y4n7my2gxq3/Screenshot%20from%202017-12-01%2014-47-34.png?dl=0

@withrobot
yes, of course if i change the ratio between exposure and gain i achive an overall higher brightness, but a lower intensity per pixel, as you can see in the following image.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds541h1o19lrzaq/Screenshot%20from%202017-12-01%2014-40-26.png?dl=0
Still, the pixels are not doing their job and therefore you sold a not working product. As far as i see hardkernel does not promote their oCam like: "Please buy our sensor on a board, get an additional ISP and develop a working camera by yourself". I'm a student and would like to use this awesome product as you promoted it in your demo video with perfect image quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=gBfj4_foWdk Thus, i'm quit disappointed..
I want to use for an online processing 3D-Vision application and therefore this pixel would lead to false measurements during a feature matching procedure.
I would really appreciate it, if i could send it back to you and get an exchange. And since this camera is not that cheap, buying such stuff is more or less a financial struggle currently..
I hope you can understand this issue and can help me out with it!
inecho

ODROIDs: XU-4

Unread postby WITHROBOT » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 am

We understand your situation and to our regret we don’t have a technical solution for you.
However, please understand that returning the product is under control of ODROID or the reseller from which you purchased the product.
WITHROBOT

ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Unread postby odroid » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a link of this thread.
She will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from us directly.
Otherwise, contact your local distributor.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to oCAM USB 3.0 Camera