What do the jumpers on the Stereo Boom Bonnet do?

LazyBunny
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Post by LazyBunny »

I read what said, about the digital filter latency performance.. but what does that mean? And what does changing them do? And what configurations are there and what effects does each configuration give?
Apply bunny directly to face.
*Facebun*

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: What do the jumpers on the Stereo Boom Bonnet do?

Post by odroid »

Look into the PCM5102 DAC datasheet page 15 ~ 21 to know more about the digital filter characteristics configuration.
https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/pcm5102

In fact, I don't understand what they are saying though. :oops:

LazyBunny
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Re: What do the jumpers on the Stereo Boom Bonnet do?

Post by LazyBunny »

odroid wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:30 am
In fact, I don't understand what they are saying though. :oops:
Aye, that's my dilemma. I read it, but I too fail to understand it.
So i don't know if removing one will affect the audio for the better or worse, or which jumper is which.
A search of the PCM5102 FLT just says low for normal latency, and 10kohm pull up for low latency. I guess i'll just have to do some trial and error and see how it affects quality if at all. Not really seeing any google searches explaining it. But looking at the graphs.. it looks like normal latency has a more consistent "ripple" where the low latency's ripple looks a little more distorted. Not sure how this would affect the audio. But so long as i'm not seeing mouths move before hearing the sound in videos, it shouldn't bother me.

But so far, i'm pretty satisfied with the boom bonnet. The included speakers not so much, but i never intended to use them anyways. But the board itself is great.
On the C2 with android at max volume, with the boom bonnet at max volume, the included speakers were still pretty quiet.

But i had a couple of these bluetooth speakers, I don't use them anymore, so i took the BT boards and batteries out and just wired the batteries to a 1x4 F header, and soldered some wires to the boom bonnet that goes to a 1x4 M Header. Didn't damage the connectors, i just soldered to the tiny SMD legs of the speaker connectors.
And these speakers with the boom bonnet are plenty loud enough! And have much wider range of sound, more bass.

PS: I got the boom bonnet because when ever i tried using my speakers on the c2 using a usb sound dongle, or my LCD's hdmi audio out, it had a TON of hiss-noise, loud like a CPU fan. With the boom bonnet, with the volumes maxed, i have to put my ears up to the speakers just to hear even the tiniest bit of noise, like so little, i'd NEVER notice it, even in a quiet room. So boom bonnet 100% solved my audio issues.

Next, i should probably disable the hdmi audio on the C2, just to make sure i don't have any issues later on.
These users thanked the author LazyBunny for the post:
odroid (Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:52 am)
Apply bunny directly to face.
*Facebun*

Return to “I2S Devices (HiFi Shield DAC and Stereo Boom Bonnet Kit)”