HiFi Sheild + Noise

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

HiFi Sheild + Noise

Unread postby blspainhour » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:13 am

Hello,

I'm getting noise from my odroid C2 / HiFi Shield combo. I can hear noise whenever the USB mouse is moved or the storage is accessed. Is there a way to stop this? Also I get a few pops and cracks on boot. I'm using the rca line out.

Thanks,

Bart
blspainhour

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, HiFi Shield 2, VU8C Display

Re: HiFi Sheild + Noise

Unread postby odroid » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Which power supply and OS image do you use?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby audiotechguy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:41 pm

MAybe because the outputs are not balanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audiotechguy

Unread postby blspainhour » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply... work stuff! I'm using the image from the wiki "ubuntu64-16.04.2lts-mate-odroid-c2-20170301.img" and using the eMMC card. Are there improvements sound wise in later builds?

The power supply is just a standard micro usb cable that has been connected to several sources... AC to usb and desktop usb connection.

The reply from audiotechguy is asking about balanced outputs. I am not familiar with "balanced outputs" I have connected the hifi shield using multiple RCA cables to 3 different amp/speaker combinations with exactly the same results. Could you explain "balanced outputs" and how I achieve this?

Thanks...
blspainhour

Unread postby audiotechguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:43 am

blspainhour wrote:Sorry it took so long to reply... work stuff! I'm using the image from the wiki "ubuntu64-16.04.2lts-mate-odroid-c2-20170301.img" and using the eMMC card. Are there improvements sound wise in later builds?

The power supply is just a standard micro usb cable that has been connected to several sources... AC to usb and desktop usb connection.

The reply from audiotechguy is asking about balanced outputs. I am not familiar with "balanced outputs" I have connected the hifi shield using multiple RCA cables to 3 different amp/speaker combinations with exactly the same results. Could you explain "balanced outputs" and how I achieve this?

Thanks...

Ya hey lol. Ok so RCA outputs that the HIFI sheild have are unbalanced outputs which means it can be prone to cable noise and interference. Balanced outputs such as a XLR don’t give you that cable line interference. It all depends on what devices people use to connect things with. I have studio monitors so I would prefer a XLR balanced output over a RCA output but someone else might not have or need studio monitors but they have speakers that accept only RCA type cables which are unbalanced. I heard that the longer the RCA cable is the more noise and interference it will pick up. So maybe try to use the shortest cable as possible and or try to find quality RCA cables that might help reduce the cable noise and interference.

An example of a XLR output is here Image

audiotechguy

Unread postby blspainhour » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:36 am

Hi again,

I have tried using balanced RCA cables (Monster brand) and you're right they seem to help when connected to my home stereo. I will try them in my car as soon as it warms up!

I am also going to change the power supply from usb with a 12v to 5v dc to dc converter since this setup is going to be my head unit for my car stereo.

Thanks for your help and input!

Bart
blspainhour

Unread postby audiotechguy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:04 pm

blspainhour wrote:Hi again,

I have tried using balanced RCA cables (Monster brand) and you're right they seem to help when connected to my home stereo. I will try them in my car as soon as it warms up!

I am also going to change the power supply from usb with a 12v to 5v dc to dc converter since this setup is going to be my head unit for my car stereo.

Thanks for your help and input!

Bart

Cool I’m glad you figured it out.

How much noise has been reduced with the monster cables ???

audiotechguy

Return to I2S Devices (HiFi Shield DAC and Stereo Boom Bonnet Kit)