fbxx
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1 ver 201411
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how to give back the odroid c1

Post by fbxx »

Hi all,

due to the hdmi issue and i believe also to first board production is a serious issue, i don't have the time to do the harware tester, do you know how i can give back the board? I have original power, battery, case, passive cpu heat.

I hope there is a sort of warranty....

Thanks,

fbxx
Last edited by fbxx on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Re: how to give back the odroid c1

Post by rooted »

I don't think there is a money back guarantee, you will likely have to resell it.

streetboy
ODROIDs: ODROID-X,U2,XU3-Lite
C1, XU4

Post by streetboy »

I can remember there was a big warning states when I bought the boards. It was a Development board clearly. Anyway, i could solve the HDMI issue with a solution in this link. http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=3323

hokoon
languages_spoken: ไทย
ODROIDs: U2, XU, U3, C-1

Post by hokoon »

C-1 is dirt cheap, keep it for fun when you have some spare time.

i_reede@amerisys.com
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C1

Post by i_reede@amerisys.com »

Well, if you really don;t want it, just mail it to me. Send em a private mail and I will give you the mailing address. I know it's sometimes frustrating to work with this device (it happens to me too) but in the end, there's simply nothing out there that will give you this amount of punch for the same price. I think it's a great device. I think that for a first generation device, the design is great. I tell you this as an engineer... one doesn't always get perfection on the first production run.. one improves the design as weak points are discovered until the deisgn is stable and something else comes out, making the device you made obsolete. So if you don;t want it, I'll take it. If you want moeny for it, then I'll look at the state of the device when I get it and give you what I beleive is fair moeny for a second-hand device.

pdenhaan
ODROIDs: Odroid-C1

Post by pdenhaan »

Go back and read up on what, say, the original Raspberry Pi was like in the early days. Teething problems come with the territory. I'd say the C1 is doing very well indeed.

hokoon

Post by hokoon »

I think C-1 is much much better in term of performance/price ratio, also better community support.
Rpi on the other hand is much more stable and compatible since it's older (and better marketing).

Rpi is for kids, most of things works out of the box.
ODROID is for a grown man, you can do some serius stuff but sometimes it's not that easy.

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2, GO, GO Advance, H2+

Post by robroy »

hokoon wrote: Rpi is for kids, most of things works out of the box.
ODROID is for a grown man, you can do some serius stuff but sometimes it's not that easy.
Well said ;)
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

hokoon wrote: Rpi is for kids, most of things works out of the box.
I can't agree to that.. i gave my nephews (7 and 3) an ODROID U3 they only have a GamePad to control it and they use it to watch movies and play tons of games on it.. it's very easy to use and does not need a mouse or keyboard at all. I gave other ODROIDs to other family members that are all not that much into computers.. they have no issues with using them..

So as long as you actually use a polished product like the U3 there are nearly no issues giving it to children or someone else.

In fact most people that use a RPi are adults and the reason for this is simple.. very tight hardware limitations... try to explain to a child, that when he uses a PC he can't do half of the things they are used to do on another PC cause this thing is too slow and has too little RAM..

You can't even browse the web and have 10 tabs open on the RPi, so you are very limited on this.. and therefore it's hard for children to comprehend why.

The ODROID-C1 right now is limited as well.. but should become much more stable in the future (hopefully) until then other ODROID products outsmart any RPi that probably will ever be on the market.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

hokoon

Post by hokoon »

@meveric, by "kids" and "grown man" I mean... you understand sacasm right?

vk4tux
ODROIDs: none

Post by vk4tux »

Last edited by vk4tux on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Post by rooted »

The Pi 2 is more stable only because the platform is much more mature, and the Pi 2 has many of the same issues....such as issues with Samsung SD cards.

vk4tux

Post by vk4tux »

Last edited by vk4tux on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Corruption, failed booting, failure to shutdown properly. The first year of the Pi was much like the C1 in current form, SD compatability issues, shutdown issues, power issues...etc.

I agree if you need a stable platform now the Pi is likely a better choice.

vk4tux

Post by vk4tux »

Last edited by vk4tux on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Yes but not a totally new platform, the Pi 2 just has new CPU and more RAM...everything else is same as B+.

vk4tux

Post by vk4tux »

Last edited by vk4tux on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robroy

Post by robroy »

I have a 2nd C1 coming plus a XU3 for more software development & packaging
If the C1 was a knife, the XU3 would be a Samurai sword :)
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

hokoon

Post by hokoon »

robroy wrote:
I have a 2nd C1 coming plus a XU3 for more software development & packaging
If the C1 was a knife, the XU3 would be a Samurai sword :)
NO! It's a f_cking machinegun. lol

i_reede@amerisys.com
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C1

Post by i_reede@amerisys.com »

To the pi it must be more like a nuke for them to panic enough to come out with a boosted version of the b plus just after they said no change for a long while when they released the b plus. Now it would be great if hardkernel updated the c1 to using a regular hdmi instead of the micro hdmi which is extremely fragile... there is space for it on the current pcb... opposite side of the current micro hdmi

vk4tux

Post by vk4tux »

Last edited by vk4tux on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kokonuts
ODROIDs: not yet, waiting for wifi to work on c1

Post by kokonuts »

My problem is not with giving back C1, I wish if I could give back all the useless attachments I bought as well. I spent well over 100 euros in that shop, then half of that in import tax, for stuff which does not work. So HK sells stuff and say no return, then when you report a problem, they say it is working in my machine, dunno how to argue against that. Just look in android forum, for example about wifi module, I saw that posts before I buy, but then odroid admin said it is working, so i went ahead and bought it among other stuff, just to end up opening new thread about it :/ . even preloaded apps does not work, I just clicked on "Sound Recorder" , I can only recored some really load noise ( I also tried use sound card mic/ cam mic). I dunno where to go from here. Anybody knows about any board which runs android which is as stable as a normal android phone?

robroy

Post by robroy »

Now it would be great if hardkernel updated the c1 to using a regular hdmi instead of the micro hdmi which is extremely fragile... there is space for it on the current pcb... opposite side of the current micro hdmi
I use one of these, which greatly reduces the risk of damage to the board itself when plugging in the HDMI frequently: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00507GV38. You could also solder it in for more stability.
I just clicked on "Sound Recorder" , I can only recored some really load noise ( I also tried use sound card mic/ cam mic). I dunno where to go from here.
This post may brighten your day: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 387#p77387
Anybody knows about any board which runs android which is as stable as a normal android phone?
Don't worry, the C1 will be just as stable as the U3 in a few months, which had its problems with Android in the early days as well (when it was known as the U2), such as non-working Netflix, high-CPU-load lockups, and random HDMI green screens. If you review the old U2 Android forums, you'll see that all of these issues were solved eventually by cooperation between forum volunteers and the HK software engineers.

kokonuts

Post by kokonuts »

Thank you for being reassuring, I am welling to help, but I can't even get wifi to work with my home AP, I mean wifi connectivity is the number one issue to be handled after the board is able to boot. I have been watching the wifi situation since January, then I asked again before buying : http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 417#p69217
But when I got it, now in March, I joined other people about that it is not working : http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=9955

I don't how to get HK SW engineers attention to this, I put logcat, but what else to do? just sit and watch my C1 without internet? I don't see any planned fix for this either :/

patoberli
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1 with RTC, Bluetooth 4.0, Wireless stick 4.0

Post by patoberli »

You could buy for 5-20 USD a cheap Netgear usb wifi adapter from your local hardware store. Simply keep it as spare, once the issue with the Wifi4 stick is fixed.
That's what I do at the moment.
-
pato

kokonuts

Post by kokonuts »

There are a lot of posts about wifi3 as well, btw how do you know that wifi4 will be fixed, do you have any reference from HK that they will fix it, at least that will give me hope.

patoberli
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1 with RTC, Bluetooth 4.0, Wireless stick 4.0

Post by patoberli »

So far it looks like they always try to fix the found issues. Simply give them some time. True currently It doesn't work with enabled encryption (tested with WPA2-AES), but the stick does work on an unencrypted SSID. He also posted today in the thread of the stick4 that he will include some additional modules in the next update.
-
pato

hokoon

Post by hokoon »

WiFi#3 working rock solid with ubuntu.
be patient... your problem will be solve eventualy.

kokonuts

Post by kokonuts »

I have never seen a post where HK guys says that it does not work with encrypted wifi AP, they said it works in their office, so can't replicate. And my problem is not the one where it does not show all the AP, but rather won't obtain IP, after been successfully discovered and connected. I can be patient, but when I know that they know about this and they planning to fix it.

hokoon

Post by hokoon »

If it's working in HK's office, you need to give them more specific detail about your setup (eg. channel, encryption, range, etc).
in the mean time, you can go buy a cheap dongle to proof that your network and setting work.

remember the first time somebody report them that Gigabit have trouble with some switch then HK said it's working and can't replicate.
Sooner they can replicate the issue, sooner the problem fix.

Return to “Issues”