Kodi video playback jittery

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Kodi video playback jittery

Unread postby wizz825 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:43 am

Today I updated my C1 to latest and greatest, which I think included mali-x11, linux-image-3.10.72, kodi and linux-image-c1. After I rebooted any video I play (HW accelerated) periodically pauses while the audio becomes garbled. This happens with local and remote media sources. I will try to downgrade packages one by one to find the culprit, but I know for sure that it worked fine the day before yesterday.
wizz825

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Re: Kodi video playback jittery

Unread postby wizz825 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:57 am

Downgraded mali-x11, kernel image down to 3.10.70 and everything is working fine again.
wizz825

Unread postby Sader » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:36 am

same here.
Sader

languages_spoken: english, russian

Unread postby deliciousmonkey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:55 am

Would you be able to detail the steps you did in order to downgrade both the mali-x11 and the kernel image?

Thanks.
deliciousmonkey

ODROIDs: Odroid-C1

Unread postby wizz825 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:47 am

This is what I did:
sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/mali-x11_20150113-r4p0-1216b9e-13_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -r linux-image-c1
sudo dpkg -r linux-image-3.10.72-76
sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-3.10.70-74_20150304_armhf.deb
sudo reboot

When uninstalling the kernel image you will be warned its dangerous, you should be fine as long as you install a kernel before rebooting.
wizz825

Unread postby gonzzo512 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Same issue here.
Old mali-X11 package is not available in /var/cache/apt/archives on my installation.
Any way to roolback from a web source?

By the way: I have more issues with this "update" from March 19th: Kodi lost german language support and PVR addon compatibility. I want my working setup back :-/
gonzzo512

languages_spoken: german, english

Unread postby Metropolis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:51 am

Kodi was included in the upgrade, correct? Did the kodi version change? If so, it could be a kodi issue that will probably be fixed in a future release.

Uninstalling kodi and installing the working kodi version might fix things again - and it would be good to know if the issue is in the kernel/drivers or just kodi.
Metropolis

Unread postby mdrjr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:33 pm

As from today I've rolled back the kodi version.. so.. apt-get upgrade && dist-upgrade would bring the working Kodi again.
And yes.. That was something from Kodi.
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby wizz825 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:30 am

I'm back from vacation, and here's what I found after I tried mdrjr's recipe:
the audio issues are indeed fixed, BUT the skipping of video frames is there, especially on 1080p sources.
After I quickly downgraded the kernel and mali-x11, but not kodi and rebooted the issue went away.
If anyone else can reproduce the issue I can share the old packages just to see if that fixes it for them as well.
wizz825

Unread postby mvrk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm

wizz825 can you provide download links for the old packages?

mali-x11_20150113-r4p0-1216b9e-13_armhf.deb
linux-image-3.10.70-74_20150304_armhf.deb
mvrk

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1

Unread postby wizz825 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:05 am

Sure, I uploaded them to http://bytecraftstudios.com/fluffy/
wizz825

Unread postby runnerway » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:08 pm

wizz825 wrote:Sure, I uploaded them to http://bytecraftstudios.com/fluffy/

Thank you. Downgraded Mali and kernel and my problems with Kodi solved too. I had some micro pauses during playbacks. (They were very small but noticeable)

So the problem seems to be the new Mali driver.. :(
runnerway

languages_spoken: italian, english
ODROIDs: C1, C2

Unread postby theghost » Tue May 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi , i see this topic , and i ask to me , the files uploaded are good " http://bytecraftstudios.com/fluffy/" ? this files will fix my problem with mini freeze on kodi ? because i'm on 3.10.75-84 and kodi alpha 2 ( lubuntu 14.04.02) and i have a lot of freeze on screen 1080p with movies in 720p and the freezes appears every minutes :(. ( i watch mkv 720p with a TV 1080p in 60Hz)

Just someone can repeat me , the good commands to write for downgrade correctly , i'm afraid to make a mistake and to corrupt the lubuntu :/

Edit : and what is the version of kodi that you are using ?
theghost

languages_spoken: english , french

Unread postby theghost » Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 am

ok i broked my C1 lubuntu with this update so i start again with a old image with kodi 14 ! and all works :) but the kernel is X.X.X.-43 so i think , i can try to update until X.X.X.X-74 ? sorry but i'm a little lost , i just want no freeze during playback a movie on 1080p screen with kodi and i want too the TV addon works with tvheadend on kodi TV :)

OK that seems to be good with kernel x. X. X. X-74. No crash of kodi or odroid.

Edit : arf always something wrong, now it's pvr addons for kodi 14 bêta 1, i download pvr xbmc that i can find on Odroid.in Web site but I have an error when I enable the add on and then kodi crash after I activated pvrTvheadendClient pluggin :/. So I desactivated it but I dont have tv :(. Any help please
theghost

Unread postby theghost » Thu May 28, 2015 2:02 am

Someone know , what is the addon that i have to install to can watch the tv with tvheadend on kodi helix beta 1 ? i don't see anything that works in the moment :/

PLugin version 0.98 tvheadend , give me a error like that : "can't load dll" and then the pplugin is desactivated :/ why ?
theghost

Unread postby wrxtasy » Thu May 28, 2015 3:26 am

Yes I had issues as well...

Question: Were all the other pvr add-ons already activated when you went into the Kodi pvr add-on section ?
If they were disable them all then exit Kodi, next do this .....

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xbmc-pvr-addons

and try activating TVHeadend again. :)
I believe its a Kodi bug that was fixed in later Isengard releases.
LibreELEC Krypton C1(+) HERE
LibreELEC Krypton C2 HERE
wrxtasy

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby theghost » Thu May 28, 2015 3:39 am

thanks but he says , reinstallation is not possible , it cannot be download. i have exactly this version : ubuntu-14.04.1lts-lubuntu-odroid-c1-20150102.img.xz

and no , i have 0 add ons at the beginning but i have installed that at the begiining : http://deb.odroid.in/pool/main/x/xbmc-p ... _armhf.deb but kodi crash every time so i have delete directly in /home/odroid/.kodi/addons .... not my best idea i think so now all plugins are desabled in kodi but i can't activate them because there are not really in /home/odroid/.kodi/addons.

What is the process that i have to follow to success with plugin tvheadend ? i'm lost ....

Edit : on the fresh install , i have unable to locate package x)

I downgraded and installed the zip the tvheadend version 0.98 , this is the good for kodi helix 14 ? :) or i have t take here : http://deb.odroid.in/pool/main/x/xbmc-p ... _armhf.deb

I'm trying that : http://deb.odroid.in/pool/main/x/xbmc-p ... _armhf.deb but every time , i activate it , kodi crash immediatly , "segment fault" , "core bumped" something like that but maybe their plugins are too recently for helix 14 ? Sorry for all questions but i'm confused with all that

Edit 2 : maybe that ? http://stalin.negge.fi/files/pvr.tvh/

Edit 3 : OK this is good ! really i don't know how i realized that , after 2 hours with install and uninstall a lot of version of tvheadend , one worked ! :)
theghost

Unread postby theghost » Thu May 28, 2015 8:15 am

So now it's an other problem maybe it's known but with a HD Chanel, after 5 min around I have a freeze because the sound is really in late with the vidéo. At the beginning, it's sync but with the time, it's worth x). Have you an idea of problem ? Is it addon tvheadend or à driver or simply kodi 14 bêta 1 dirty ?

Ah an other thing, why the cpu is at 60 ° in idle and 73° with a tv in 1080p. That seems to be high no ?
theghost

Unread postby wrxtasy » Thu May 28, 2015 11:45 am

Question ? Have you done the following command first to download the most up to date Kodi and upgrade Ubuntu after you flashed the ubuntu-14.04.1lts-lubuntu-odroid-c1-20150102.img.xz image ?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I then used this exact command to install the Kodi pvr addons:

sudo apt-get install xbmc.pvr.addons

Then disable every pvr addon already enabled. Exit Kodi and start it up again.

Why are you using such an old image ?
This is the current one:
http://dn.odroid.com/S805/Ubuntu/ubuntu ... 401.img.xz

If you want an image that fixes all HDMI audio and video issues, then this is the image to use:
http://dn.odroid.com/S805/HDMI/ubuntu-1 ... DMI.img.xz
wrxtasy

Unread postby theghost » Thu May 28, 2015 3:02 pm

I use the old image because during one week all lubuntu that I tried has the same little freeze issue (microsecond of freeze every 10 seconds) :@. so for me Kodi 15 has never work correctly. I have so much frames which are skips .
I was lost so I tried an old image and that was good for vidéo mkv 720p on 1080p screen tv. but for tv in 60hz with hd channel , it's very bad on the long time ( sound and video not synchro) and then the temperature very high for nothing.

You say me that the image with Ubuntu-HDMI.img will fix all my problems with audio and vidéo ? Im not sure for the problem of thr video :/. I believe that i have already tried ( it's a kodi 15 alpha 2 no ? ) but I can try again in 6 Hours. With the new image : http://dn.odroid.com/S805/HDMI/ubuntu-1 ... DMI.img.xz , what process must i to do ? odroid utility ( for driver or other ) must be used ?

At the beginning i would to stay with the x.x.x.-74 linux-image to have any problem of frames but I have done the first command that you said and all is already update in my case with a kodi 14 (helix) beta 1 - "dirty" ;)

Btw : i have try that : sudo apt-get install xbmc.pvr.addons and i'm getting : unable to locate package xbmc.pvr.addons, couldn't find any package by regex 'xbmc.pvr.addons' but as i said , i have try that : https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp9oi9axvonsv ... 9.zip?dl=0 from here i believe : http://stalin.negge.fi/files/pvr.tvh/ and that works after four or five try to install it ... but something wrong with HD channel( video / sound very shifted even if the video stay smooth)
Last edited by theghost on Fri May 29, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
theghost

Unread postby theghost » Fri May 29, 2015 12:42 am

@wrxtasy , i have done that :

1 - Install http://dn.odroid.com/S805/HDMI/ubuntu-1 ... DMI.img.xz on sandisk class 10 16go

2 - sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

3 - sudo apt-get install xbmc.pvr.addons

and so i'm running on linux kernel 3.10.75-84 on kodi 15 alpha ( 20150329-d4856cf-50) and addons for kodi update to ( 20150304-4657d8b-16)

AND i have always mini freeze when i watch for example : Supernatural 720p in .mkv that you can found on a DL movies on the net. I'm looking that on a TV samsung in 1080p in resolution screen. Seriously I don't understand why it's perfect with kodi 14 alpha dirty with kernel X.X.X.X-74 (but i have problem with TV (tvheadend) between syncro sound-video) and then now there are 80 frames skip by min and it's very noticeable on the kodi update ... but tvheadend works better with HD channel than kodi 14 but always with noticeable freeze (0.5s) every time, the sound is perfect without problem.

Edit : the capture in attachment , that is normal ? i have 6 kernel different ? maybe i'm not run on the good kernel ?
Attachments
normal.PNG
normal.PNG (24.28 KiB) Viewed 5204 times
theghost

Unread postby wrxtasy » Fri May 29, 2015 3:12 am

I should have warned you that doing the update / upgrade actually downgraded the Kernel and the video drivers on the new HDMI fix image you just flashed, back to the old stuff that was causing problems. Those commands were only for that exact image you were already running on your C1. You will actually have to reflash the HDMI fix image again. :cry:

Update on the Ubuntu desktop using the Ubuntu Software Center to get to the new Kodi, do not use the ODROID-Utility to Auto upgrade the Kernel. You MUST de-select the two files (they are obvious) that have anything to do with Kernel upgrades if updating with the Software center method. The correct HDMI fixed Kernel for Ubuntu is v 3.10.75.

Only do an Automatic update and upgrade once HardKernel officially release new updated images for Ubuntu and have them on their servers.
The HDMI fix is a Test image released in the interim that helps a lot of users till that happens.

To remove left over junk and un-needed dependencies like you have listed:
sudo apt-get autoremove

Because the ODROID-C1 only has a limited number of output refresh rates those being 24, 50 and 60Hz you will need to find out what frame rate your TV broadcast is displaying at and set the closest one in boot.ini. Hit the O on the Keyboard to bring up the codec info panel and it will say something like: P(fr:25.000 or similar giving you the Frame Rate. Enabling Sync Playback to Display in Kodi > System > Video Output > Playback - may help as well.

This will very likely be why you are seeing skips due to mistmatching frame and refresh rates. For example where I live TV is 1080i at 25 Hz and 720p at 50Hz so I set 1080p50Hz in boot.ini file. Its a pain having to do this in Ubuntu all the time. If you use OpenElec or Android with SPMC / Kodi Isengard you can set it up to dynamically change refresh rates for you on the fly without all this boot.ini stuffing about when playing various types of video.

A dual boot or triple boot system like you see in another thread around here on the forums will be the way to setup a C1 for maximum flexibility in playing video reliably. :D
wrxtasy

Unread postby theghost » Fri May 29, 2015 4:44 am

thanks a lot for your answer , so if i understood , i install the lubuntu-HDMI without any update of kernel or mali etc OK. the kodi on the image is good or i must to update it in the goal all works ? and all the movies are in 23.945 frames and 25 for the tv Chanel , here where you say fr:25 with the codec so i guess that i must change the 60hz by default in boot.ini , my tv is a 60hz, where i live.

you say : using the Ubuntu Software Center to get to the new Kodi , i don't understand , i won't write in a command :apt-get upgrade kodi ? ecause i'm trying all frequency and always i have little freeze because i think sometime , i'm just at 19fps or something like that and no 23.945 maybe it's for that ? it's crazy this bug with the new kodi 15. i'm the only with this bug because you try to help me buti i have again this bug even after a fresh install image.

For kodi, in my case, change fréquency between 24 or 50hz or 60hz change something ? I put 50hz but I take that randomly :/

Edit : On kodi 14 , i have seen , it's only some channels which have the sound and video shifted. but it's strange because all are in h264 with the same bitrate but on 6 hd channels , there are two which have the bug ^^. I think i will waiting a release official from hardkernel with this bug fix on kodi 15 because i have always the bug even with your explanation ... i'm maybe unlucky i don't know
theghost

Unread postby theghost » Sat May 30, 2015 8:03 am

Mhh i say just like that but i think that we can find a fix with this file : /home/odroid/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml. You can all modify , refresh rate and so many options like buffers etc.

look at this : http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#pvr or this but it's an other thing : http://linux.mjnet.eu/post/305/solution ... angfreeze/.

I believe that i have a TV (tvheadend) better on HD channel ( i will say you tomorrow to confirm that )

EDIT : Someone can tell me if settings in system, vidéo are linked with the tv (tvheadend) when im watching à channel On kodi ? Or 'video' is just when you are watching movies on your USB key etc thanks
theghost

Unread postby theghost » Sun May 31, 2015 7:31 am

just to know , i think it's a problem with configuration of Kodi but every 5 min, i heard like a "clic , clic clic " in the sound when i'm watching a movie which is stream on odroid .

Someone know what is it ?

Maybe it's a resampling audio between video and sound ? can i stop this noice ?

Edit : OK I have try to fix and edit all parameters without success in audio sitting. That does not work but I have forgot something ! The refresh in boot. Ini, it was in 50hz instead of 60hz... After to fixe that, i havznt any noice like clic during the playback. Maybe that can be usefull for someone :)
theghost

Unread postby SpOeK » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:30 am

Hi, @wizz825 and @Sader.

Like you, I've been having this issue since the moment they updated the mali-x11 package (in march?) and I "fixed" it by falling back to the versions that wizz825 posted. Now, with a new release of the mali driver, I tried to give a shot to the new packages but the issue is still there, at least for me :(

Have you tried with the latest mali-x11 (20150616-r5p0-0cb5ca4-16) and linux-image (3.10.80-94) version? Have you found a way to fix these micro pauses besides using the old versions? It's a bit weird that only a few of us have this problem. Just in case, I also have played with all the pulseaudio and asound.conf combinations to no avail just to be sure that the sound wasn't somehow related with this issue.
SpOeK

languages_spoken: english, spanish

Unread postby theghost » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:15 am

Hi

I don't know if it's you want but i can suggest you that :

I) Use : http://www.odroid.in/ubuntu_14.04lts/ol ... 204.img.xz
II) Resize root partition with "odroid-utility"
III) Install linux-image-3.10.70-74 ( not a more new ! ) "apt-get install linux-image-3.10.70-74" and reboot
IV) By default , you run on kodi 15 alpha 1 , just remove the kodi default ("apt-get remove kodi") and then install the last version "20150329" like that "apt-get install kodi"
V) Install addons for have pvr with tvheadend etc like that "apt-get install xbmc-pvr-addons"
VI) If like me you have a big bug with sound ( shifted 6-10 seconds ) , use "odroid-utility" like that "sudo odroid-utility.sh" and disable pulseaudio and/or disable HDMI Passthrough (i have done both so i can't say which of them fixed the problem ) after reboot and TADA all works in 60Hz in my case ( test : H264 in 23.976fps OK )
theghost

Unread postby SpOeK » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Yeah, I'm already running on top of a Linux 3.10.70-74 with mali-x11 20150113-r4p0 and kodi 20150329 without no issues. What I wanted to know if it is possible to use the latest mali-x11 and kernel without the issue reported in this thread. I've tried but the issue is still there, at least for me, so I was wondering if I am the only one that hasn't been able to fix this in a proper way (I mean besides falling back to the old packages).
SpOeK

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:03 pm

We are trying to find the relationship between Mali drivers and Kodi versions these days.
But we may need more time due to its complexity.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby SpOeK » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:47 pm

Thank you, @odroid. Let me know if you want me to test something in my C1.
SpOeK

Unread postby Ro4cHii » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 am

I've been experiencing micro stutters for about 2 months now with several configurations....
Even theghost's tip doesn't work anymore...
I'm getting so darn tired of it :x How do I solve this???
Ro4cHii

languages_spoken: German, English

Unread postby theghost » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:22 pm

@Ro4chii , sorry if my tip does not work now for you , for me , i haven't any problem with my method :) , are you sure , there are any update since you followed my tip ? otherwise it's normal that doesnot work now ;).

Also , i know there is a new kernel viewtopic.php?f=112&t=14635&p=95609#p95609 ( in test , becarful , maybe it's not totally usable for everyday ) but they try to fix our problem. But i can't confirm that will fix yours :/

I will try to test this new kernel when i could :)
theghost

Unread postby Ro4cHii » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Yeah, that's too bad, because I thought your tip finally did it. The part I don't get is why do I have problems, but my friend and apparently most people don't?

I already tried the new kernel yesterday, it didn't help me. I also tried the Kodi version suggested in that thread, but I wasn't even able to get it running.
Ro4cHii

Unread postby theghost » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:04 pm

@Ro4cHii , arf really i don"t know what say you :/ , you're running on TV 60 Hz ? In my case , the TV is in 60Hz. Have you try again with a format on your sd card , and to look if my method work again ?. Have you a sd card class 10? The file "boot.ini" is correctly configure ? 1080p 60hz in y case.

i remember (i think) it's you who had some problems with the number of frames on kodi or youtube. Youtube with the pluggin on kodi or with a browser ? otherwise , it's not a problem with kodi precisely. Have you a sdcard with free space on it ? command : "df -h" to know that.

At the end of the installation with lubuntu , check if you run with this version : http://www.odroid.in/ubuntu_14.04lts/ol ... 204.img.xz and with the kernel 3.10.70-74 ( check with the command "uname -r" or "uname -v" or "uname -s" , sorry i don't remember the exact command ) and then you have like version of kodi ( 20150329 ) after having done , "apt-get remove kodi" and then "apt-get install kodi".

NB : Don't put the board in the box in plastic , in my case , he is in overheating and i have the feeling that it is less smooth during the playbacks ( after in my country it's the heat wave ^^ )

I don't understand , how, two boards with the same configuration can behave differently :/ , after that , unfortunately, i think you'll have to wait a fix with the new kernel or waiting for help from someone else than me :)
theghost

Unread postby Ro4cHii » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:30 pm

My TV runs on 60Hz. When I bought the board, the first 2 months it worked just perfectly. 24fps - 60fps videos: not a single problem/stuttering.
I had a UHS Class 3 SD card, so that shouldn't be the problem. For now, I am using the 8GB eMMC module (with which it also worked just fine just until some weeks ago). Unfortunately I don't own the SD card anymore, so it might take a couple of days til I can try with a SD card agian.

Yes, that was me. It was both, but I think the fact it doesn't work in the browser is ok, because hardware acceleration isn't used when using the browser.
I also always had free space, as I resized the root partition every time I did a re-setup.

For now, I get the best results with your method. It's better than with other configurations, nevertheless I can spot stuttering in super-fluid/fast scenes (e.g. scenes with non-shaky camera, water/waves, highspeed chases/fights, etc).
I have a good eye for such things and as I said, the first few months I couldn't spot any difference in the videos in comparison to playing them on my PC. Now, it just looks bad.

I will try removing the plastic box, but well, my friend is using one as well and he never experienced stuttering :/

I don't unterstand it either, I just hope someone has a solution for this issue... it's starting to really, really piss me off. And I'm rather a very calm type by nature :roll:
Ro4cHii

Unread postby Ro4cHii » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:37 am

So...
I put my Odroid out of the plastic box (although I don't think that was the (main) problem) and installed the ubuntu-14.04.1-image, but this time on a UHS Class 3 SD card instead of the eMMC module.
I didn't change anything major on the standard configuration - just some minor tweaks and settings for myself - and for now, it seems to be working just fine (Kernel 3.10.67-55). Nonetheless I have the feeling I'm able to spot micro stuttering, but you know... I've been under so much influence of stuttering in the last time, maybe I'm just hallucinating :lol:

Tomorrow I will create an image of my current configuration, so I don't have to set it up over and over again if I fuck up. Then, I will try to install a newer kernel and see if it brings any difference. I'll keep you up to date!
Ro4cHii

Unread postby theghost » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi , good news if i understood :)

For that " Nonetheless I have the feeling I'm able to spot micro stuttering, but you know... I've been under so much influence of stuttering in the last time, maybe I'm just hallucinating" , i think, it's just your mind , at the beginning , i had the same feelling :p.

Yes try the kernel with x.x.x-74 and with the kodi alpha2 and not alpha1 like you must to have :). Also , in my case, for kodi i played with videos parameters ( sync vertical, sync images of the video during playback , sync video/image, sorry i don't remember all the options name ..., i don't know if that change something for you but you can try that. In kodi , put the interface in expert mode if you haven't all the options).

I suggest to you to check that you haven't connect too many usb peripheric , if that consumes to much energy , the board behaves weirdly ... Good luck and thanks to keep me up to date :)
theghost

Unread postby Ro4cHii » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:48 pm

Hey there,

so I'm using my UHS Class 3 SD card now with Kodi 15 Alpha 2 (20150329) and Kernel 3.10.80-94 - from which was said that it would bring much improvement in video playback. I disabled HDMI Passthrough & Pulseaudio, but Kodi still doesn't seem to play videos smoothly.
I think I'll just go back to your configuration and wait for a miracle to happen.

Thank so far - a lot!
Ro4cHii

Unread postby wrxtasy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:08 pm

If you could boot this modified Linux Kernel 3.10.80-94 (frame rate automation) by selecting 24Hz in the boot.ini file, without the completely messed up display - then you would very likely see smooth video playback as your TV then switches into 24p mode and reduces the "jitter" considerably by adding extra video frames.

This is what I see with this modified test Kernel running on Android, but Kodi Isengard on Android has the ability to Auto Switch video output refresh rates on the fly so your TV goes into 24p mode automatically. 23.976fps/H264 video playback is then nice and smooth.

This new Kernel contained in the Android v1.7 image with a bunch of video features and fixes will be released this week here:
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... se_android

Kodi Isengard Android users will be a happy bunch with this release. :D
wrxtasy

Unread postby Ro4cHii » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:21 pm

I selected the 1920x1080x24Hz setting in the boot.ini file. Still - the video is everything else but smooth :( Same with 60Hz.
I see jittering about every 10-20 seconds. I'm so done with this... Really running out of ideas here.

Do I have to configure some video settings in Kodi to make it work?
Ro4cHii

Unread postby odroid » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:24 pm

Our Android v1.7 is not ready to release.
Give us a couple of days.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Ro4cHii wrote:I selected the 1920x1080x24Hz setting in the boot.ini file. Still - the video is everything else but smooth :( Same with 60Hz.
I see jittering about every 10-20 seconds. I'm so done with this... Really running out of ideas here.

Do I have to configure some video settings in Kodi to make it work?

As odroid said, please wait for couple of days to have new Android release v1.7, we are integrating more patches and testing. I have good feedback from volunteer users about video playback and your issue would be fixed with the release. Thank you for your understanding.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby Ro4cHii » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:41 pm

I think there's a misunderstanding. I'm not even using Android, I'm using the official Ubuntu image.
Ro4cHii

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 pm

Ro4cHii wrote:I think there's a misunderstanding. I'm not even using Android, I'm using the official Ubuntu image.

Ok, sorry. At least wrong resolution problem will be fixed and released soon. The patch is shared with Ubuntu kernel, mdrjr will update you when update is ready.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby Koxx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:03 am

I have the same issue.

with linux-image-3.10.70-74 and mali-r4p0, everything is fine.
If i use mali-r5p0 (mandatory with more recent kernels), it lags.

I use Kodi 15.0-ALPHA2 (20150329-d4856cf-50) and reinstall it for every test.
Koxx

languages_spoken: english, french

Unread postby Ro4cHii » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Wouldn't it be possible to kompile a "up-to-date" kernel with old mail driver?
I have been busy with building an Ambilight for my C1, but always lost interest when the jittery returned.
And I think I will need a "new" kernel to make Ambilight work with Kodi, so I guess in the end I will have to compile it myself somehow...
Ro4cHii

Unread postby Koxx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:49 pm

Ro4cHii wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to kompile a "up-to-date" kernel with old mail driver?
I have been busy with building an Ambilight for my C1, but always lost interest when the jittery returned.
And I think I will need a "new" kernel to make Ambilight work with Kodi, so I guess in the end I will have to compile it myself somehow...

that or solving the r5p0 issue, it would be awesome ;)

how would you process to revert the kernel before the build ?
Koxx

Unread postby runnerway » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:49 am

Ro4cHii wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to kompile a "up-to-date" kernel with old mail driver?

Koxx wrote:

that or solving the r5p0 issue, it would be awesome ;)

how would you process to revert the kernel before the build ?

Yes it is possibile and it works well.

These are my sources of the kernel with the needed commits reverted:
- https://github.com/runnerway/linux/tree/odroidc-3.10.y

(You need to remove the updated mali drivers and install r4 to use this kernel)
And you need to be careful when updating..

By the way i will be very happy if ODROID can give us some informations about this really important problem.
I understand that they are fixing 23.976Hz video but i think this is a bigger problem.
runnerway

languages_spoken: italian, english
ODROIDs: C1, C2

Unread postby Koxx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:57 am

ouch ... it has been a long since I compiled a kernel.

git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/runnerway/linux/tree/odroidc-3.10.y
cd ....
make defconfig
make

and I got a lot of errors :/
Koxx

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:23 am

Koxx wrote:ouch ... it has been a long since I compiled a kernel.

git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/runnerway/linux/tree/odroidc-3.10.y
cd ....
make defconfig
make

and I got a lot of errors :/

On the device or are you cross compiling? I don't think it's defconfig, I think there is a named config.

It's
make odroidc_defconfig
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2