What Brand Micro HDMI Cables Work With the C1?

robrobinette
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What Brand Micro HDMI Cables Work With the C1?

Post by robrobinette »

I have 3 generic Micro HDMI cables that work with my ODROID-U2 but do not work with my new C1. Has anyone had success with any cable other than the one sold by ODROID (which is known to function correctly)?

This issue is discussed in another thread (http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 804#p73804 no HDMI out caused by C1 HDMI shell grounding) but it would be nice if we could find a local source for a Micro HDMI cable that works.

NullNix
ODROIDs: C1

Re: What Brand Micro HDMI Cables Work With the C1?

Post by NullNix »

After much annoying blank-screen no-signal fun with a pre-existing HDMI cable (which worked with the Pivos Xios DS I'm migrating away from, but gave only a blank screen with the C1), I fixed it by replacing the cable between the C1 and the receiver, going from a 5m one to a much shorter one (circa 1m). Unfortunately both cables involved (both the 1m one that connects the C1 to the receiver, and the nearly 10m one which connects the receiver to the projector) are things I had knocking around for years in my misc hardware box: I don't know their provenance, though the longer one probably came from Richer Sounds and thus can be assumed to have fairly good connector quality: I still have a receipt for the shorter one but it does not specify a make, only a price (£7, so not exactly immensely costly as cables go). (The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V375, and the micro-HDMI to HDMI converter an Ex-Pro AV-Pro converter, if that helps). But at least I serve as an existence proof that *some* cables exist that work.

I haven't seen any of the oft-complained-about flickering in the fifteen minutes I've had it running so far, either. :)

It is possible that in my case the problem was aggregate cable length: put together, 13m is getting close to practical length limits. However, I'd expect the receiver to be regenerating the signal, so perhaps that's not plausible. (Also, the Xios was happily emitting a 1280p/60Hz signal, though it was incapable of actually *displaying* anything at that resolution, insisting on downscaling and then upscaling again.)

robrobinette

Post by robrobinette »

Thanks for sharing NullNix. My 3 generic cables that don't work with the C1 are pretty short, from about 0.5 meters to about 1 meter.

johnbeetem
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1

Post by johnbeetem »

A member at this related thread recommends the Amazon Basics 1m cable.

I've been using a no-name Micro HDMI D to HDMI A cable that I've used for years with an Atrix Lapdock. It doesn't have grounds, so I shorted out R11 next to the C1 HDMI connector. That's less conspicuous than shorting the HDMI shell to the OTG shell.

OTOH, my cable has an iffy 5V pin so if I bump it I lose HDMI. I'm going to try replacing it with the Amazon Basics cable.

robrobinette

Post by robrobinette »

One of my 3 cables that don't work with the C1 is an Amazon Basics cable, but I've had it for years. I believe Amazon changes suppliers for the "Basics" line pretty frequently to keep prices low so maybe mine is from another manufacturer. I sure hate to buy another HDMI to Micro HDMI since the only equipment I have that currently needs them are my ODROID-U2 and C1, but I guess that's the price you pay to walk the bleeding edge.

i_reede@amerisys.com
languages_spoken: english, french

Post by i_reede@amerisys.com »

I finally got fed up of buying cables, trying to find a cable that works. After looking into this issue, I finally realized that the outer casing of the HDMI cable is an electrical safety ground... it makes sure the montior's chassis ground is at the same ground as the C1's ground... so the shield of the micro-hdmi connector should be grounded for safety reasons. I soldered a short 2cm wire on the bottom of the PCB, from the USB connector shield mounting tab to the micro-usb shield mounting tab hole on the C1. Voila, many cables which did not work now do work! The only other thing I had to do was to invoke the odrioid configuration utility via ssh and set the resolution to match that of my monitor... full HD. I beleive the shield of the micro USB should be grounded at all times. Otherwise, any power mains leakage via imbalance in the C1's power supply ends up hitting LVDS circuits in the C1 and the monitor... not good.

Then I looked into the thread about how the HDMI cables should be wired. For the internal shield connections for the individual LVDS lines in the cable, it may be "normal practice" to ground these at only one end of the cable to make those individual shields be of electrostatic nature only. In some monitors and TV's these are linked to ground only by capacitors to ground. The individual LVDS pair shileds are there to prevent crosstalk between the LVDS pairs. The design of the connector makes that overall shield is the first ground in the design to make contact.. i.e. making sure there is no votage differential between both devices when the LVDS signals do enter in contact.

I hope this helps.. it's my 2 cents worth. In my case however, it solved the cable issue, even with a 5m cable. It also makes me feel safer, knowing that if something goes wrong in the monitor or the C1's power supply, they share a common mains ground.
These users thanked the author i_reede@amerisys.com for the post:
nwtfrosty (Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:13 am)

NullNix

Post by NullNix »

i_reede@amerisys.com wrote:I finally got fed up of buying cables, trying to find a cable that works. After looking into this issue, I finally realized that the outer casing of the HDMI cable is an electrical safety ground... it makes sure the montior's chassis ground is at the same ground as the C1's ground... so the shield of the micro-hdmi connector should be grounded for safety reasons.
Hm. Mine might well be working by chance then -- my C1 is sitting on top of the A/V receiver its HDMI cable is connected to, and the receiver case is made of metal. Instant ground to the same place as the HDMI cable ground and with a direct metal/metal connection. (Only... the same was true when it had the cables connected that didn't work. I guess those really *were* bad cables.)

karlkloss

Post by karlkloss »

I'm using a 2m HDMI cable from a local dollar store and a micro HDMI to HDMI converter plug from Aliexpress ($1 or so).
Works.

duhmojo
ODROIDs: 3 x Ordoid-C1

Post by duhmojo »

i_reede@amerisys.com wrote:I finally realized that the outer casing of the HDMI cable is an electrical safety ground... it makes sure the montior's chassis ground is at the same ground as the C1's ground... so the shield of the micro-hdmi connector should be grounded for safety reasons. I soldered a short 2cm wire on the bottom of the PCB, from the USB connector shield mounting tab to the micro-usb shield mounting tab hole on the C1.
Do you have any pics? Thanks.

mAineAc
ODROIDs: C1. XU3

Post by mAineAc »

Is bought this one on amazon and it works flawlessly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UH0Z9Q

mikronauts
ODROIDs: odroid-w, odroid c1

Post by mikronauts »

house brand 6' nGear microHDMI-HDMI cable from NCIX works

Startech microHDMI-HDMI converter cable works (don't remember model)

random ebay microHDMI to HDMI cable did NOT work.
http://Mikronauts.com ... Home of RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio, Pi Jumper, EZasPi

robrobinette

Post by robrobinette »

I ordered the 1 meter Amazon Basics cable and it worked for a few minutes then just gave me a blank screen. When it was working any movement of the C1 would drop the video and go to a black screen.

Just days after ordering the C1 the raspberry pi 2B came out with 1GB ram and 4 core processor for $35 so I ordered one. It works like a champ.

mikronauts
ODROIDs: odroid-w, odroid c1

Post by mikronauts »

I am a bit confused... my RPi 2's use standard size HDMI cable, not micro HDMI...

I had problems with using a cheap microHDMI cable with the C1 as well, but no issues when using better cables.
http://Mikronauts.com ... Home of RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio, Pi Jumper, EZasPi

robrobinette

Post by robrobinette »

I am a bit confused... my RPi 2's use standard size HDMI cable, not micro HDMI...
I didn't say I was using the same cable with the two boards. The RPi 2 uses the "I have a box full of these standard HDMI cables".

I would highly recommend the RPi 2 over the C1 until they get this issue fixed.

robrobinette

Post by robrobinette »

Final update from the op: After editing the boot.ini and setting 1080p for HDMI resolution + the Amazon Basics 1 meter cable my C1 is up and running stable with good quality HDMI video.

nwtfrosty
ODROIDs: c1; dev model

Post by nwtfrosty »

Thanks to the tips above, I soldered a short wire from the micro-HDMI shell mounting pin over to a USB shell mounting pin and now my 15' microHDMI - HMDI cable works fine whereas before this hack, it would display nothing.
YAY!!!

Return to “Issues”