C1+ Freezing

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

C1+ Freezing

Unread postby uu0113 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi.

I own an Odroid C1+ (rev0.4 20150930) and C2.

While the C2 is running super fine (using LibreElec) I cannot get the C1+ working stable. The issue persists since I own it (over 1 years) and no software release or update ever solved it and I tried a lot! It seems to me the C1+ has a hardware problem. That's why I bought the C2. I want to see if it's the hardware...

Issue Description
  • Once I disconnect ANY keyboard and/or mouse from one of the USB ports, the C1+ immediately freezes.
  • Also the C+1 freezes occasionally when I am typing anything for 30-60 seconds and move the mouse for a random time within the menu. The C1+ somtimes hangs and recoves (if I hold still) but when active (e.g. playing a movie) it freezes completely and never comes back. Power cycle the only solution here.

I am currently running "LibreELEC-Odroid_C1.arm-8.0.4a.img" onto Sandisk 8GB SD-Card. LAN and HDMI are connected. I tried different keyboards, mouses, USB hubs and power sources (MicroUSB and Power Supply) with no success.

Anyone experience the same issues? Any clues what's wrong with the board?
uu0113

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+,C2

Re: C1+ Freezing

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:37 am

Try the official ubuntu image - mine is rock solid, though it's headless
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Re: C1+ Freezing

Unread postby meveric » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:33 am

uu0113 wrote:Issue Description
  • Once I disconnect ANY keyboard and/or mouse from one of the USB ports, the C1+ immediately freezes.

That's a known issue, the C1 has broken USB drivers that causes this issue (and other USB related issues)
uu0113 wrote:
  • Also the C+1 freezes occasionally when I am typing anything for 30-60 seconds and move the mouse for a random time within the menu. The C1+ somtimes hangs and recoves (if I hold still) but when active (e.g. playing a movie) it freezes completely and never comes back. Power cycle the only solution here.

Not sure if this is also related to the USB issue, but also the C1 has very little RAM and can't handle many tasks simultaneously, that can also cause lock ups, you might want to watch memory usage, maybe over ssh to see what the system is doing around the time it's locking up.

uu0113 wrote:I am currently running "LibreELEC-Odroid_C1.arm-8.0.4a.img" onto Sandisk 8GB SD-Card. LAN and HDMI are connected.

Probably also an issue, LibreELEC is multimedia oriented, doing other stuff than watching movies, may very likely cause issues, as the video layer is on top of everything else normally.
Also I'm not sure if LibreELEC uses ZRAM or any other kind of SWAP, which also means, on memory issues, you are more likely to end up in a deadly "lock".
Other OS like Ubuntu, or Debian, normally use ZRAM to reduce the memory issues of the C1.

uu0113 wrote:I tried different keyboards, mouses, USB hubs and power sources (MicroUSB and Power Supply) with no success.

Since this issue is related to the USB drivers itself changing the USB hardware connected to it, has probably minimal to no effect.
I have the same issues on my ODROIDs, removing keyboard causes a freeze, and as I use a wireless keyboard, for about 3-5 ODROIDs I permanently have on for testing, I'm switching keyboard through boards quite often and the C1 is not a nice player in that kind of setup.

uu0113 wrote:Anyone experience the same issues? Any clues what's wrong with the board?

See above, you're not alone.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Return to Issues