languages_spoken: French, English
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: [OS] ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for C1

Unread post by kolkovrok » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:56 pm

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Very cool video. I like it.. You did quite a good job!
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

kolkovrok
languages_spoken: French, English
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+

Unread post by kolkovrok » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:29 am

Happy you like it, nothing was possible without your work and your help; I'm busy presently so I'm late but I finish the explications and process with details on my blog and I'll show you that soon and I'll do the tests (gba) we spoke too.
No way for Pc engine CD for me, I tried the good core with same bios and games which working on my pi without succes.
I still didn' try the Xbox controler for reicast; but I'll do...
It's OK for neo geo pocket and gameboy (I didn't have the good extensions, I'm distrait).

I'm working on another big very cool uncommon projects (in fact it's five projects banded together) It's nearly finished, I did my test with raspberry PI and I will buy new cards for the end but I wait money and I'm hesitant : I really like Gamesation turbo and odroids (I tried every solutions I found) : I will try XU4, I think but it's expensive so I want to be sure and get your opinion again : I would like to have PPSSPP and Dreamcast, is it really OK ? what about Jaguar and Sega saturn ? and if I have good memory I read that DS games are only good in 2D (even with XU4 ?).
I tried the last version of retropie which is pretty good wich PI3 but I prefer your desktop and gigabit ethernet & I want try XU4, so expect to see me soon with my questions and littles problems :D (I'm kidding, I think I understood many things, your system will be "ok out of the box" and everything will be allright quickly).
Keep in touch.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 am

kolkovrok wrote:Happy you like it, nothing was possible without your work and your help; I'm busy presently so I'm late but I finish the explications and process with details on my blog and I'll show you that soon and I'll do the tests (gba) we spoke too.
No way for Pc engine CD for me, I tried the good core with same bios and games which working on my pi without succes.
I still didn' try the Xbox controler for reicast; but I'll do...
It's OK for neo geo pocket and gameboy (I didn't have the good extensions, I'm distrait).
I'm very busy right now as well. I'm working on a big update of all cores with new optimizations as well as some new emulators. I also have plans to replace some cores with other more faster cores, especially on the C1 which is too slow for some of the cores. gpsp will be used for GBA and I will include some logic that switches cores depending on the board you're running on.
Testing and compiling takes a lot of time so it's probably still a little while till I can release it :)
kolkovrok wrote:I will try XU4, I think but it's expensive so I want to be sure and get your opinion again : I would like to have PPSSPP and Dreamcast, is it really OK ? what about Jaguar and Sega saturn ? and if I have good memory I read that DS games are only good in 2D (even with XU4 ?).
XU4 is the fastest ODROID board you can get at the moment. PPSSPP runs very good on the XU4 some games run in 5xPSP resolution and 4xFSAA without issues.
Dreamcast should work fine as well. Not all games work but very much do.
Jaguar will be a big update soon, I have a new emulator which runs full speed, at least the games that work.
Sega Saturn doesn't seem to run too well on any system. Although it's fastest on the XU4, it's still issn't full speed.
NDS games work "ok" depends on the game some work really nice others are not. Even some 3D games work nicely like Rune Factory 3, others are not so fast, still most games should be playable.
kolkovrok wrote:I tried the last version of retropie which is pretty good wich PI3 but I prefer your desktop and gigabit ethernet & I want try XU4, so expect to see me soon with my questions and littles problems :D (I'm kidding, I think I understood many things, your system will be "ok out of the box" and everything will be allright quickly).
Keep in touch.
I'm always willing to help out as good as I can :)
And XU4 is really a very good device, but please note that it has it's issues as well.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Leebejeebee
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Xu4 c1+

Unread post by Leebejeebee » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi there. Just want to say this looks like a great image, having some difficulties with the screen being cropped on a 42" 16:9 TV. I've got the 720p display setup and others cause a blank blur screen. Does overscan work in the boot.ini as it didn't seem to make any difference..

Not sure if it was the same issue but emulation station loads fine... Still cropped but I only get sound and black screen on trying Mario world for example. Others have sound noise but ultimately all black screen.

I changed the resolution in boot ini and it doesn't load (internet doesn't auto connect for some reason) so will probably reflash as I can't edit boot.ini when plugged into Mac.

Hopefully someone might have a workaround for when I set up next

Thanks again

....edit... SD card reader was on read-only mode. DOH!. Still reflashed and tried a few different resolution to no avail. TV doesn't support 'game mode' etc. Might try another image sadly

tman7510

Unread post by tman7510 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:23 pm

I'm sure this is a common problem but I cant find a solution on the forum. I have the latest image Version 3.1 from march of this year. I'm running an C1+ and it boots fine into Debian, Kodi appears to work fine but it doesnt find any of my ROMS and when I selet anything to watch or play such as 2048 or dinothawr I get a black screen but can hear the music. Same thing happens when I try to run emulation station with my nes ROMS. The screen goes black but I hear the game sounds and music. I looked at the boot.ini and have it set to 720p and hdmi output. I see there is mention of some BIOS files??? What are these files and how do I get/install them?

:?:

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:36 pm

tman7510 wrote:Kodi appears to work fine but it doesnt find any of my ROMS
Please make sure the ROMS are in the correct folders (under /home/odroid/ROMS/<System>) and have the proper file extensions (check the first post on what file extensions are supported).
tman7510 wrote:and when I selet anything to watch or play such as 2048 or dinothawr I get a black screen but can hear the music.
That's unusual, it should work out of the box. Did you do a full system upgrade?

Code: Select all

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
There is an issue on the C1 with the alpha channel which can cause certain applications to start with either black borders or a black screen, but up to now that was not the case for retroarch.
tman7510 wrote:Same thing happens when I try to run emulation station with my nes ROMS. The screen goes black but I hear the game sounds and music.
Well as I said, that's unusual. There's a workaround for the alpha issue. If you reduce the colors in the boot.ini from 32 bit to 24 or 16bit, then you don't have alpha anymore and the black borders or screens should be gone.
But you can't use Kodi (for watching movies) in lesser than 32bit.
tman7510 wrote:I looked at the boot.ini and have it set to 720p and hdmi output.
Yep that's the default. 720p cause the C1 has issues with scaling of graphics, and will drop below 60 FPS if you use 1080p and starts to lag.
tman7510 wrote:I see there is mention of some BIOS files??? What are these files and how do I get/install them?
BIOS files are needed for certain emulators to run the games. It's kinda like the basic operating system of the old gaming console.
Not all emulators need it, but some do and others run better if you have them.
Remember Playstation 1? When you turn on the Console you see the Playstation Logo? That's the BIOS and it's used to load the CDs.
Or Dreamcast, where you had an entire menu in the BIOS: Image

For these consoles you need the BIOS files. They can be found on the internet if you search for the console name and BIOS. Can't help you more than that.

NES and SNES run without BIOS files, so if you want to play those you should be fine without them.

tman7510

Unread post by tman7510 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:33 am

meveric wrote:
tman7510 wrote:Kodi appears to work fine but it doesnt find any of my ROMS
Please make sure the ROMS are in the correct folders (under /home/odroid/ROMS/<System>) and have the proper file extensions (check the first post on what file extensions are supported).
tman7510 wrote:and when I selet anything to watch or play such as 2048 or dinothawr I get a black screen but can hear the music.
That's unusual, it should work out of the box. Did you do a full system upgrade?

There is an issue on the C1 with the alpha channel which can cause certain applications to start with either black borders or a black screen, but up to now that was not the case for retroarch.
tman7510 wrote:Same thing happens when I try to run emulation station with my nes ROMS. The screen goes black but I hear the game sounds and music.
Well as I said, that's unusual. There's a workaround for the alpha issue. If you reduce the colors in the boot.ini from 32 bit to 24 or 16bit, then you don't have alpha anymore and the black borders or screens should be gone.
But you can't use Kodi (for watching movies) in lesser than 32bit.
tman7510 wrote:I looked at the boot.ini and have it set to 720p and hdmi output.
Yep that's the default. 720p cause the C1 has issues with scaling of graphics, and will drop below 60 FPS if you use 1080p and starts to lag.
tman7510 wrote:I see there is mention of some BIOS files??? What are these files and how do I get/install them?
BIOS files are needed for certain emulators to run the games. It's kinda like the basic operating system of the old gaming console.
Not all emulators need it, but some do and others run better if you have them.
Remember Playstation 1? When you turn on the Console you see the Playstation Logo? That's the BIOS and it's used to load the CDs.
Or Dreamcast, where you had an entire menu in the BIOS: Image

For these consoles you need the BIOS files. They can be found on the internet if you search for the console name and BIOS. Can't help you more than that.

NES and SNES run without BIOS files, so if you want to play those you should be fine without them.
So apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade seems to have done the trick and resolved my black screen issue. Thank you Meveric fo your help.

As for Kodi not seeing my ROMs it still doesnt seem to recognize them and I have them in the right location /home/odroid/ROMS/NES and SNES folders I still have to check the extensions but emulation station plays them now with no problem. The only problem I have is that my gamepad: Logitech Wingman Rumble pad isnt staying configured or at least that is what Emulation Stations tells me after launching a ROM but I have it configured under emulation station before launching teh ROM??? I see this is common place and there are may fixes tuts on how to fix online but all for retropi but that soesnt translate to game-station turbo. We should document the fix for game-station turbo

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:02 pm

tman7510 wrote:So apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade seems to have done the trick and resolved my black screen issue. Thank you Meveric fo your help.
Glad that worked for you :)
tman7510 wrote:As for Kodi not seeing my ROMs it still doesnt seem to recognize them and I have them in the right location /home/odroid/ROMS/NES and SNES folders I still have to check the extensions but emulation station plays them now with no problem.
If EmulationStation shows them, but Kodi does not, that probably just means you need to let it "search" for ROMS again. Go in the ROM Collection Browser (should do so automatically when you start Kodi) and press C to open up the menu, then select that you want to scan for new games.
tman7510 wrote:The only problem I have is that my gamepad: Logitech Wingman Rumble pad isnt staying configured or at least that is what Emulation Stations tells me after launching a ROM but I have it configured under emulation station before launching teh ROM???
EmulationStation is just a dumb frontend it has NOTHING to do with gamepad configuration. The configuration of the controller in EmulationStation is ONLY for EmulationStation, means it's only for navigating in EmulationStation and NOT for the games. As I said, EmulationStation is just a dumb frontend, nothing more. You have to configure your gamepad withing retroarch, which is strange, since retroarch is configured to load configurations for controllers automatically and has quite a lot controllers that it knows.
Anyway: If you start a game, press F1 on your keyboard, it will open up the retroarch menu, here you should be able to find a way to map your controller and then use this for your games.
tman7510 wrote:I see this is common place and there are may fixes tuts on how to fix online but all for retropi but that soesnt translate to game-station turbo. We should document the fix for game-station turbo
True, but there is but so little time and I'm always rather busy. I wish I could write a guide for the image, but I'm always too short on time :(

tman7510

Unread post by tman7510 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:15 am

tman7510 wrote:
I see this is common place and there are may fixes tuts on how to fix online but all for retropi but that soesnt translate to game-station turbo. We should document the fix for game-station turbo
meveric wrote:
True, but there is but so little time and I'm always rather busy. I wish I could write a guide for the image, but I'm always too short on time :(
Thank you again for your help. Also by responding to posts on the forum you are in a way writing a guide for the image. :D

Jojo
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, HC2, VU8C

Unread post by Jojo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:58 am

Hi meveric,

I hope you don't feel bothered by this too much, but I like to ask once more, if you plan to release an OGST image for the C2 as well. I know that some time ago the missing X11 acceleration was a show stopper (beside some more things). Are there any news? I'd be happy, if I could help in any way, with testing for example.

Greetings!
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:35 am

X11 drivers for C2 are available.
I have no plans on releasing an image for the C2 anytime "soon". There probably will be an image, but I'm currently working on other things.
Some emulators like PS1, N64, NDS, etc. are not working on the C2 or are extremly slow. Still that means that about 80% of all emulators still work but it also means I have to threat these images so much differently.
And currently I don't feel like doing that.
Many parts of the OGST images are already available on the C2 as well. I just haven't had the time or patience to put something together for the C2.
The other projects take a lot of time and I progress a lot slower than I hoped I would, so I don't think a OGST C2 will come this year, but maybe early next year.

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Ok, thank you! No problem at all, I was just curious about the status :) .

Sader
languages_spoken: english, russian

Unread post by Sader » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:33 am

Hello Meveric,

1st of all - many thanks for your great image! I have an "no HDMI passthrough" version of the C1 and recently tried your image for the C1 - after some time I set it up with Emulation station and everything was working fine....untill I did an update... :D
Can you pls let me know if package are still maintained and image operational ? After update and reboot I have received EMU Station without graphics(just platform names) and in constant restart mode = unusable....

So far still to investigate and perhaps to reset the configuration or to roll back to latest image ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.1-20160306-C1-Jessie.img.xz

Thanks again for your hard work
YB

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:56 am

Sader wrote:Can you pls let me know if package are still maintained and image operational ?
Both yes, I constantly update packages not only for the C1 but for all ODROIDs. You can check on the progress by following this thread: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 01#p160301
Sader wrote:After update and reboot I have received EMU Station without graphics(just platform names) and in constant restart mode = unusable....
The most common issue is, that people only do "half an update" and stop at "apt-get upgrade" and leave out apt-get dist-upgrade which is very important as well. Since only with that you get newest Kernel and drivers.
Sader wrote:So far still to investigate and perhaps to reset the configuration or to roll back to latest image ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.1-20160306-C1-Jessie.img.xz

Thanks again for your hard work
YB
As said before generally it should work fine. EmulationStation actually comes preconfigured (for the most part) if you have all the updates installed, so just starting EmulationStation should be enough, although I'm not a big fan of EmulationStation.

Sader
languages_spoken: english, russian

Unread post by Sader » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:25 am

Thanks for the heads up ! Now I'm going to try this out with the correct set of commands...too bad I re-flashed the image already... :-)
Emulation station do provides nice look'n feel with artwork and graphics which my kids do like more, than plain retroarch interface.
Personally I would prefer clear image with minimal FB + retroarch for better performance.
now if only I can get both wireless gamepads(logitech(works ok btw) + monkeyjoy ps3 style bluetooth) working...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:54 am

Sader wrote:Thanks for the heads up ! Now I'm going to try this out with the correct set of commands...too bad I re-flashed the image already... :-)
Emulation station do provides nice look'n feel with artwork and graphics which my kids do like more, than plain retroarch interface.
That is why I prefer Rom Collection Browser, which is the default of this image.
In my opinion it has much better options than EmulationStation and also supports Video Snaps which is much better for kids, than just a cover image of a game:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twzrdHOxUsw[/youtube]
Also this means you have one interface for all. From Kodi you can run movies, listen to music and play games, all from one interface which can be controlled by an Xbox360 controllers (once setup) no keyboard or mouse is required anymore and you can switch easily from games to movies.
Sader wrote:Personally I would prefer clear image with minimal FB + retroarch for better performance.
now if only I can get both wireless gamepads(logitech(works ok btw) + monkeyjoy ps3 style bluetooth) working...
Retroarch should have an autoconfig for all connected controllers if it knows them. XBox360 does work nicely and with just one wireless remote adapter you can use 4 controllers at once and it's working fine with SNES and other multiplayer consoles.

Pinotte
ODROIDs: C0, XU4

Unread post by Pinotte » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:31 am

Hi Meveric, I'm sorry to bother you with so many questions... but I've been having some trouble configuring mupen64plus on my c0. I installed the mupen64plus-odroid and ogst-mupen64plus-config and my image is up to date. When I start an n64 game from emulationstation, it starts but is the image is completely distorted and zoomed in and the emulator does not respond to any gamepad or keyboard input.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:25 am

The mupen64plus standalone emulator was created on and for the Exynos boards from HardKernel and here they work fine.
The config is set to use 1080p which is ok for Exynos boards, they can switch resolution and auto scale if the resolution does not match. The AmLogic boards are a lot different.
They can't change resolution on the fly and the C0/C1/C1+ image runs on 720p.

Anyway: Please check the config file under /home/odroid/.config/mupen64plus. You will have to adjust the screen resolution here and set it to 1280x720.

The controller is preset to XBox360 I'm not sure how good it works with other controllers.
You might have to remove the controller setup from the config file and start the game you want to play. It should auto-add the controller setup, but depending on your controller, you might have to adjust the layout since not all controllers are found correctly.

Pinotte
ODROIDs: C0, XU4

Unread post by Pinotte » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:09 am

meveric wrote:The mupen64plus standalone emulator was created on and for the Exynos boards from HardKernel and here they work fine.
I see what you mean: After proper scaling, the textures are either flickering or black which I assume is caused by the C1/C0 alpha issue. I guess I'll go back to the default n64 emulator. Real shame because mupen 64 runs more smoothly.
Anyway Thank you for your help!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:18 am

try switching to 24bpp in /boot/boot.ini that might fix the alpha issue in mupen64plus standalone, but keep in mind you can't watch movies over Kodi that way.

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:03 am

Hi meveric,

I try to get OGST running, but I constantly fail :( . I tried two times, both times with the same error.

1. I download and flash the image (link in the first post) to my µSD card.
2. After the boards boots up for the second time, I run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade"
3a. nothing else
3b. reboot

When I then start KODI from the desktop launcher, nothing happens. When I then start KODI via a terminal emulator by executing "kodi", I get the message "Segmentation fault (core dumped)".

I've put the latest KODI log file into the attachment. I'd be really happy, if you could help me to solve this :) .

Cheers,
Jojo
Attachments
kodi.log
(5.6 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:30 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply :) .

I tried

rm `find /usr/lib -name libMali.so`
rm `find /usr/lib -name libUMP.so`
apt-get install --reinstall libmali450-odroid libump-odroid
The libump-odroid package works fine, but for some reason the libmali450-odroid package is unknown :shock:

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:36 am

hmm I think it's mali450-odroid not libmali450-odroid

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:25 am

meveric wrote:hmm I think it's mali450-odroid not libmali450-odroid
Oh... me -> stupid :lol: . I should have noticed that during the upgrade process.

Anyway, now it seems to work, thank you for your help!

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:31 pm

Oh no, its me again ;) . I have some problems in getting things running correctly.

1. SNES games:
the games just don't run fluently. The speed of the games vary depending on the complexity of grafic changes. This would not be so bad, but the sound varies in playback speed as well, which makes the sound extremly "stuttery".
I don't think that CPU speed is a problem here, because I logged the CPU load over time, and it never reached >50% on a single core. In addition I got it running fine with Lakka on my Cubieboard2, which has a much weaker CPU.
How could this be improved/solved?

2. N64 games
They got imported into the library correctly, but they just don't start. Kodi changes a few times between window and fullscreen mode, but after a few seconds, there is just Kodi again and no game :( .

3. the old story: Passthrough
I don't know the current status for the C1, but did it ever work on the C1 (maybe with LibreELEC)? Could it be enabled in OGST somehow (patches)?

Thank you and greetings!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:12 am

Jojo wrote:1. SNES games:
the games just don't run fluently. The speed of the games vary depending on the complexity of grafic changes. This would not be so bad, but the sound varies in playback speed as well, which makes the sound extremly "stuttery".
I don't think that CPU speed is a problem here, because I logged the CPU load over time, and it never reached >50% on a single core. In addition I got it running fine with Lakka on my Cubieboard2, which has a much weaker CPU.
How could this be improved/solved?
The core used for SNES is not the best for the C1. The C1 has a very week CPU and is only "slightly" faster than the CPU of the Cubiboard2 (single core performance).
Still there are other cores that work better, I can send you a core later that should give better performance.
Jojo wrote:2. N64 games
They got imported into the library correctly, but they just don't start. Kodi changes a few times between window and fullscreen mode, but after a few seconds, there is just Kodi again and no game :( .
Not sure, N64 works but it's very slow on the C1. Haven't tried it in a while though.
Jojo wrote:3. the old story: Passthrough
I don't know the current status for the C1, but did it ever work on the C1 (maybe with LibreELEC)? Could it be enabled in OGST somehow (patches)?
If I would have the patches I could, but I don't have the hardware to test passthrough I guess so I wouldn't know if it's actually working or not, nor do I have the patches.

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:17 am

meveric wrote:
Jojo wrote:...
The core used for SNES is not the best for the C1. The C1 has a very week CPU and is only "slightly" faster than the CPU of the Cubiboard2 (single core performance).
Still there are other cores that work better, I can send you a core later that should give better performance.
Well, I know that it is a matter of the reference, but from my point of view "50%" is a little bit more than "slightly" ;) . Anyway, of cource I'd appreciate, of you'd send me another core! I'll be happy to give it a try!
meveric wrote:
Not sure, N64 works but it's very slow on the C1. Haven't tried it in a while though.
Oh, ok. I thought that they'd run, because they are marked as "somwhat laggy". How can I get some kind of crash log or something like that?
meveric wrote:
If I would have the patches I could, but I don't have the hardware to test passthrough I guess so I wouldn't know if it's actually working or not, nor do I have the patches.
Hm... I don't know the passthrough status of the C1 at all. I just knew that it works on the C2 (most times ;) ). Just in case that there ARE passthrough pathes, I'd be happy to make tests and give feedback to you.

Greetings

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:24 am

Jojo wrote:
meveric wrote:
Well, I know that it is a matter of the reference, but from my point of view "50%" is a little bit more than "slightly" ;) . Anyway, of cource I'd appreciate, of you'd send me another core! I'll be happy to give it a try!
That is cause you only compare MHz numbers and nothing else, but the ODROID C1 has the slower Cortex-A5 cores while the Cubiboard2 has Cortex-A7 cores, that means it can calculate more MIPS per MHz than the C1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... ned_by_ARM -> Cortex-A5 1.57 DMIPS/MHz vs Cortex-A7 1.9 DMIPS/MHz that is why the speed is NOT 50% difference but in fact about 25% ;)
Jojo wrote:Oh, ok. I thought that they'd run, because they are marked as "somwhat laggy". How can I get some kind of crash log or something like that?
Well they do work, there are some games that work fine, I did a big comparison a while ago on the ODROID Magazine, it was actually 2 articles about this topic.
You might have better results with using mupen64plus standalone emulator though. But libretro should work as well.. Try starting it from console. You can always just start a rom with "n64-xbmc <PATH-to-ROM>"

Jojo wrote:Hm... I don't know the passthrough status of the C1 at all. I just knew that it works on the C2 (most times ;) ). Just in case that there ARE passthrough pathes, I'd be happy to make tests and give feedback to you.

Greetings
I think passthrough should work.. Just not sure how.. probably only with alsa or something.. never paid much attention to it.

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am

meveric wrote: That is cause you only compare MHz numbers and nothing else, but the ODROID C1 has the slower Cortex-A5 cores while the Cubiboard2 has Cortex-A7 cores, that means it can calculate more MIPS per MHz than the C1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... ned_by_ARM -> Cortex-A5 1.57 DMIPS/MHz vs Cortex-A7 1.9 DMIPS/MHz that is why the speed is NOT 50% difference but in fact about 25% ;)
Touchée... again. Does not change the fact, that the games ran fine on the CB2 w/o stuttery sound ;) .
meveric wrote:Well they do work, there are some games that work fine, I did a big comparison a while ago on the ODROID Magazine, it was actually 2 articles about this topic.
You might have better results with using mupen64plus standalone emulator though. But libretro should work as well.. Try starting it from console. You can always just start a rom with "n64-xbmc <PATH-to-ROM>"
Hm, ok. I try to give it a shot that way. I must confess, that I haven't yet understood the different relationships regarding all this emulation stuff. But I keep trying ;) . Could you please give me instructions how to test the another core for SNES?
meveric wrote: I think passthrough should work.. Just not sure how.. probably only with alsa or something.. never paid much attention to it.
Yes, that might be true. At least this is how it works on the C2. Would it be a big deal to switch the audio system from pulseaudio to alsa?

Greetings

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi,

small update:
Sound problems (sound stuttering during playing SNES games):
this can be solved (massively reduced) by setting "Threaded Video = ON". To do so you can either open up retroarch from the desktop panel (Applications -> Games) or open the retroarch menu by pressing F1 while retroarch is running. Then go to "Settings -> Video -> Threaded Video -> ON". Thanks meveric!

Kodi Passthrough:
this can be enabled by deactivating the pulseaudio server

pulseaudio -k
When starting Kodi now, the (only) audio device is "ODROID-HDMI/SPDIF" and "Enable passthrough" should be set by default - at least this was the fact in my case ;) . Now when I start a movie with multichannel audio, my AVR switches to "Dolby Digital" -> Passthrough works.
I previously downloaded the config file following this post: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 89#p160733. I don't know if this is crucial in this image, I forgot to test this. Note: in my case it was not neccessary to start Kodi with "AE_SINK=ALSA kodi", I just used the existing menu entry.

Now the problem:
when I deactivate pulseaudio, I have HDMI passthrough for movies, but retroarch has no sound anymore :o . What I tried to solve this was (all in the retroarch config file /etc/retroarch.cfg):
- setting audio driver from openal to alsa
- setting volume from 0.0 dB to 12.0 dB
- setting audio device to "hw:0,0"
- setting audio device to "hw:1,0"
- setting audio device to "hw:0,1"
- setting audio device to "sysdefault:CARD=ODROIDHDMI"
- setting audio device to "hw:CARD=ODROIDHDMI"
None of these changes gave me the sound back in retroarch, when pulseaudio is deactivated. I am thankful for help here :) .

Greetings!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Jojo wrote:Hi,

small update:
Sound problems (sound stuttering during playing SNES games):
this can be solved (massively reduced) by setting "Threaded Video = ON". To do so you can either open up retroarch from the desktop panel (Applications -> Games) or open the retroarch menu by pressing F1 while retroarch is running. Then go to "Settings -> Video -> Threaded Video -> ON". Thanks meveric!
As discussed, this seems to be mostly an issue with the new GPU drivers. I still have to compare with an older Kernel/GPU driver version, but I've noticed extreme drops in performance.
glmark2-es2 was previously working with far over 100 FPS in window mode (around 150 or so) and now barely reaches 90 FPS.
Fullscreen dropped even more and you are back to below 60 FPS even in 720p mode. As I said I still need to verify that with the old drivers there weren't such extreme break ins in the frame rates.
Jojo wrote: Kodi Passthrough:
this can be enabled by deactivating the pulseaudio server

pulseaudio -k
When starting Kodi now, the (only) audio device is "ODROID-HDMI/SPDIF" and "Enable passthrough" should be set by default - at least this was the fact in my case ;) . Now when I start a movie with multichannel audio, my AVR switches to "Dolby Digital" -> Passthrough works.
I previously downloaded the config file following this post: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 89#p160733. I don't know if this is crucial in this image, I forgot to test this. Note: in my case it was not neccessary to start Kodi with "AE_SINK=ALSA kodi", I just used the existing menu entry.
Good to know that it's working out of the box.
Jojo wrote: Now the problem:
when I deactivate pulseaudio, I have HDMI passthrough for movies, but retroarch has no sound anymore :o . What I tried to solve this was (all in the retroarch config file /etc/retroarch.cfg):
You should rather try using retroarch itself for configuration not the config file.
Jojo wrote:- setting audio driver from openal to alsa
theoretically OpenAL can switch between pulse and alsa, under /etc/openal/ there are a couple config files that can configure OpenAL and these can be configured to use ALSA properly.
You can for example configure the order in which devices are used pulse,alsa or alsa,pulse and such.
Jojo wrote:- setting volume from 0.0 dB to 12.0 dB
This is not the volume itself, but the audio boost. You boost the volume of the already existing output (12.0dB is quite loud ;))
Jojo wrote:- setting audio device to "hw:0,0"
- setting audio device to "hw:1,0"
- setting audio device to "hw:0,1"
- setting audio device to "sysdefault:CARD=ODROIDHDMI"
- setting audio device to "hw:CARD=ODROIDHDMI"
Normally if you have a proper asound.conf none of these settings should be touched.

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:42 am

Ok, I,ve set all my retroarch settings back to their previous states (audio driver = openal).

Now this is interesting (at least for me): when I start the games via KODIs Rom Collection Browser, there is still no sound. But: when I start retroarch separately and choose a game from there (what I did just for the first time now), there is sound :o !
Any ideas about that?

Cheers

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:16 am

if you did not disable autospwan of pulseaudio then retroarch may just restart it when it's started.
You might want to SSH into your ODROID and check htop and other tools to observe what programs are running and what happens if you start games in different ways.

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:21 am

meveric wrote:if you did not disable autospwan of pulseaudio then retroarch may just restart it when it's started.
No, it doesn't. I still have the Passthrough option in KODI, which indicates, that pulseaudio is not active. In addition, I had sound at the very beginning, when pulseaudio and not also was active...
meveric wrote:You might want to SSH into your ODROID and check htop and other tools to observe what programs are running and what happens if you start games in different ways.
This feels like looking for a needle in a haystack :( . I see, that when I start a game from out of KODI (no sound), there is a process

retroarch -L /path/to/the/core /path/to/the/game
When I execute the same command from the terminal, the game starts WITH sound.

When I start a game from out of retroarch (sound working), there is a bunch of just "retroarch" processes.

For me it looks like KODI starts in some strange way, that "occupies" the sound hardware. But this is only my very own theory...

Please let me know, how I can investigate that. I am really willing to do more tests

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:56 am

Jojo wrote:For me it looks like KODI starts in some strange way, that "occupies" the sound hardware. But this is only my very own theory...
That's actually true, one of the reasons why Pulse was invented is that ALSA only allows ONE application to use the sound card.
There are some ways to get around this, with complecated entried for /etc/asound.conf and other ways, but I'm no pro in that, I find it really hard to configure.

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:56 pm

meveric wrote:
Jojo wrote:For me it looks like KODI starts in some strange way, that "occupies" the sound hardware. But this is only my very own theory...
That's actually true, one of the reasons why Pulse was invented is that ALSA only allows ONE application to use the sound card.
There are some ways to get around this, with complecated entried for /etc/asound.conf and other ways, but I'm no pro in that, I find it really hard to configure.
Sorry for the late response.

I think, that there is no real urgency, because both HDMI passthrough from KODI and sound in retroarch works. The problem is just, that KODI occupies the sound card, so that retroarch can not use it, when it is started from out of KODI. This is not so nice and comfortable, but it is a restriction I personally could live with.
Although it would be nice, if we could some day get it working, the way it was planned (Rom Collection Browser) ;) .

Greetings

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:24 am

I got around to investigate more into the slow GPU driver issue today.. going back to older Kernel and older GPU drivers did solve nothing.
But soon later I found that my image was still configured to run in 24 bpp.. After I switched it back to 32 bpp suddenly the results were a lot different. I got over 130 FPS in window screen and even on fullscreen mode i could get over 100 FPS. I started SNES and got steady 60 FPS with no issues.

Try checking on that setting it seems the C1 does really bad in 24 bpp mode.

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:37 pm

meveric wrote:Try checking on that setting it seems the C1 does really bad in 24 bpp mode
I think you mean by setting the environment variable in the boot.ini? If yes, I will try that and give feedback this evening. If not, please stop me before it is evening ;) .

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:56 pm

nope that's fine, just make sure boot.ini is set to 32bpp and not 24bpp :)

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:00 am

Ok, this is strange: my boot.ini was already set to 32bpp :shock: . To test it, I've set it to 24bpp and yes, this is significantly worse.
This time I've also logged the FPS and during most SNES games, I have something around 55 and 60 FPS. This is totally fine, as the games run quite fluently. But the "stuttering" sound is still recognizable, and it is much worse in 24bpp and less worse in 16bpp. For me this just makes no sense, as the graphics are fine, the CPUs are bored, but sound is not so good :roll: . If you think it is worth to investigate that, I will make a short video to show the behaviour on my system.

BTW: I am happy to report, that "Serious Sam - TFE" is running surprisingly fine on my C1. Thank you for your effort! I am preparing a gaming device for our holiday trip to Denmark during New Years Eve :) .

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:19 am

Jojo wrote:Ok, this is strange: my boot.ini was already set to 32bpp :shock: . To test it, I've set it to 24bpp and yes, this is significantly worse.
This time I've also logged the FPS and during most SNES games, I have something around 55 and 60 FPS. This is totally fine, as the games run quite fluently. But the "stuttering" sound is still recognizable, and it is much worse in 24bpp and less worse in 16bpp. For me this just makes no sense, as the graphics are fine, the CPUs are bored, but sound is not so good :roll: . If you think it is worth to investigate that, I will make a short video to show the behaviour on my system.
Still odd since I don't have this issue.
Can you try this config file for retorach? http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/XU3/ ... roarch.cfg
you would need to put it into /home/odroid/.config/retroarch/ or start load it with retroarch -c ./retroarch.cfg
Jojo wrote:BTW: I am happy to report, that "Serious Sam - TFE" is running surprisingly fine on my C1. Thank you for your effort! I am preparing a gaming device for our holiday trip to Denmark during New Years Eve :) .
Good to hear it's working that good :)

Jojo

Unread post by Jojo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:35 am

meveric wrote: Can you try this config file for retorach? http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/XU3/ ... roarch.cfg
you would need to put it into /home/odroid/.config/retroarch/ or start load it with retroarch -c ./retroarch.cfg
Hi,

thank you for the file. I've had a close look into this and my actual config file (before just replacing it ;) ), and I noticed, that my sound driver was still set to "sdl2", while in your file (and previously in mine, too), it was "openal". Long story made short: after I changed my sound driver back to "openal" and restarted the game (important!), everything seems to work fine now :) . Thanks!

P.S.: I've sent you a crate of beer. Hope you enjoy! Cheers!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:15 am

Thanks, maybe at some point we can share a bottle together ;)

Panderine
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by Panderine » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi!,

I don't know what's happening, I tried a fresh install of the c1 image. After dist-upgrade, kodi 16.1 is giving me segmentation fault. Also moonlight-embedded runs without video, I can hear the game sound but no video. I only see the MATE desktop ....

I repeated the process twice (format fresh img, update, upgrade, dist-upgrade) same results... is there something i should be doing? Tried running from odroid user as well as root and same results. I also tried the recommendation given to jojo, but still same issue.

Thanks!

UPDATE: dunno why or how, but kodi is not segfaulting anymore but as soon as i see the confluence background odroid restarts ... It also happends if I change the fronted to emulation station for example. Managed to avoid the restarting by changing to a different console while booting (ctrl+alt+Fn) or in emulation station if quit fast enought to MATE.

Booting to MATE seem to be stable, no reboots there. But as soon as I start kodi I get the reboot.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Panderine wrote:Hi!,

I don't know what's happening, I tried a fresh install of the c1 image. After dist-upgrade, kodi 16.1 is giving me segmentation fault.
That's an issue with the GPU drivers, a fix was already posted here, but I just uploaded new GPU drivers that will fix the issue automatically. Just update the system again and hopefully it will work.
Please report back and let me know (you probably need to restart the system after the update).
Panderine wrote:Also moonlight-embedded runs without video, I can hear the game sound but no video. I only see the MATE desktop ....
already solved.

Panderine

Unread post by Panderine » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:24 pm

Great!, I'm updating but I get this error while doing it:

Preparing to unpack .../libp8-platform2v4_2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libp8-platform2v4:armhf (2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libp8-platform2v4_2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libp8-platform.so.2.0.1', which is also in package libp8-platform2:armhf 2.0.1-1~jessie
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libp8-platform2v4_2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

UPDATE: I managed to move forward purgin the offended packages (cec-utils and libcec realted). Rebooted but kodi stills reboots the odroid.
Moonlight is working now, but only as root.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:19 am

Panderine wrote:Great!, I'm updating but I get this error while doing it:

Preparing to unpack .../libp8-platform2v4_2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libp8-platform2v4:armhf (2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libp8-platform2v4_2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libp8-platform.so.2.0.1', which is also in package libp8-platform2:armhf 2.0.1-1~jessie
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libp8-platform2v4_2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
hmm seems these are two conflicting backports of the same module, since all platforms (ODROID C1,X,X2,U2/U3,XU3/XU4) use the same default image and same packages, others should experience the same issue, if this really causes an issue. Let's see if this happens anywhere else as well.
Panderine wrote:UPDATE: I managed to move forward purgin the offended packages (cec-utils and libcec realted). Rebooted but kodi stills reboots the odroid.
Not quite sure why this is happening. CEC is not really working properly on the C1 anyway as far as I know and CEC is not installed by default so I guess this shouldn't be an issue.
Not sure why Kodi causes the system to reboot though, never heard of that.
Panderine wrote:Moonlight is working now, but only as root.
Yep, that seems about right. Moonlight uses hardware acceleration of the VPU to display the video stream and the normal user doesn't have access to this on the C1.
For the C2 I've created some entries in /etc/rc.local that change permissions on these devices so a "normal" user could use this as well, but I've never tested it on the C1.

Panderine

Unread post by Panderine » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:36 am

meveric wrote: Not sure why Kodi causes the system to reboot though, never heard of that.
kodi.log is zero size, no crashreport either. I'm trying to search in syslog or dmesg without any luck ... don't know where else to look for a clue on why the system is rebooting itself when I open kodi.

Return to “Projects”