[OS] ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for C1

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Re: [OS] ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for C1

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:38 am

eguibs wrote:Hi meverick

First i want to thank you for tour work its really awesome !!
I have a little question about an issue with reicast i expérience segfault errors do you have any idéa of what ils the problem. I have already done all updates !!(kernel apps..) thanks
reicast is very new to Linux ARM boards and not working very properly... it still works best under Android.. But there is progress going on and it will hopefully get better in time.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

eguibs
languages_spoken: english french
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by eguibs » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 am

okay thanks for your answer !! i will wait ^^

by the way i've taken the gpsp (gba ) core from last lakka build and it works perfectly fine at full speed (better than the other one ! )
i just give the information for anyone want it !

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:47 pm

yes, the C1 is rather slow and you need rather optimized software to get things to work properly. The other ODROID boards are not that picky..
But if you download my retroarch-cores-bad package you will find gpsp and other GBA cores that work better on the C1.
Which reminds me i need to work on that new cores again..^_^
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

primustimus
languages_spoken: english

Unread post by primustimus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:36 am

Thanks meveric.
I'll look into identifying which commands are for what. Specifically, I've got it setup for MAME ROMs to use the USB SNES controllers I have configured as players 3 and 4, and my arcade controllers as players 1 and 2. But I'm wanting it so that if I've loaded an SNES or NES ROM it will use a different config that has the controllers set to players 1 and 2 as well as my arcade controllers.
Thanks for the response.

eguibs

Unread post by eguibs » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:56 pm

hi Meveric

i have some issue with ppsspp in your distrib everything is dark and i can't see anything with every games

is this the alpha blending issue ? or something else
do you have any ideas about that ?

thanks !

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:18 pm

most likely the alpha blending issue.. changing to 16 or 24bpp might help.. but with 16bbps you can't use XBMC anymore.
Try starting PPSSPP manually from Start Menu -> Games.. If the logos float with black borders that's the alpha issue.. try and see if it works with 16bpp.

eguibs

Unread post by eguibs » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:26 pm

i have tried to setup to 16bps in the boot.ini but when its done i have issues with display with glitches everywhere and pink colors !
should i do something else ?to set to 16bps ? thanks !

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:02 pm

The way to change display settings is just a dirty hack setting through fbset during boot, before desktop is booted..
While on Ubuntu this hack works from within the initrd Debian won't work so i had to place it in rc.local.. It may happen though, that the desktop is faster than rc.local and therefore the script failed.
Try rebooting a couple of times.. If it does not work i will see if i can find a better solution than rc.local.

cudencuden
ODROIDs: c1, xu4

Unread post by cudencuden » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 am

hello world, how is wired 360 xbox controller support? debating if i want to say with lakka's image or not.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:16 pm

this image was build around XBox360 controller. And as long as you start everything from within XBMC only input you need is XBox360 controller.. Not even mouse or keyboard needed (still you might want to use keyboard for initial setup, copying games and things like that)

eguibs

Unread post by eguibs » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:01 pm

i ve done as you said and it worked but it seems to have lot of incompatibilities (emulationstation by example ) and even if in ppsspp i was able to see something the screen was cut in half i think i'm stuck to find a working emulatioon station center with ppsspp but i'm still loking for solution !

anyway thanks for your time

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 pm

emulationstation is just a simple frontend.. it still needs external emulators to run...
not sure if it's really an "incompatibility" the issue with the alpha channel and 16/24/32 bit exist since the board came out and are very annoying it prevents many applications to run properly..
It's one of many reasons why I don't use C1 devices.. ;)

eguibs

Unread post by eguibs » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:42 am

sorry i wasn't clear in my purpose when i say incompatibilities i deal about the 16bpp wich seems to cause issues with emulationstation (that i'm try to use as my frontend !) and i understand why you don't use C1 for gaming exynos board seems to be clearly better with better specs (thanks to cortex a7 cpu of better ) and without drawbacks (x11 drivers , alpha blending ect ..)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:41 pm

actually Cortex A9 cores (ODROID U3) or Cortex A15 Cores (XU3/XU4)...
Also never had issues with emulationsstation on those ODROID boards.
You might want to check other posts in this thread here. Some people explained how to compile emulationstation for fbdev drivers rather than X11 drivers.. and also recompile retroarch and some of the cores to use fbdev rather than X11.. That way "most" of the cores should run on the C1 as well if you want to use emulationstation.. Not sure though if they would run in 16 bpp, you still probably need 24 or 32 bpp.

eguibs

Unread post by eguibs » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:34 am

yeah i think i'm going to try to use Fbdev this is my next project ^^

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:15 am

for fbdev:
1) here is a repository for sdl2: https://github.com/mihailescu2m/libsdl2-2.0.2-dfsg1
you run dpkg-buildpackage, build and then dpkg -i the debs to replace official sdl2. this sdl2 package has mali egl video driver.

2) here is a repository with scripts to compile retroarch, mupen64, ppsspp and some retroarch cores: https://github.com/mihailescu2m/retrobuilder
it's tailored for C1, but if you look at the scripts, it's easy to change cortex a5 with a9 for U3.
retroarch has its own mali backend, but ppsspp uses sdl2 - so you need the patched sdl2 package from 1)

New2LinuxOnARM
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+,
Odroid XU4

Unread post by New2LinuxOnARM » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:17 am

Hi there,
first things first: THANKS! You are doing a great work!

I have some problems.

1. I have an XBox Batarang Controller, which isn't supported in xboxdrv v0.84 but in v0.85. I tried to update xboxdrv, but

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xboxdrv
wont update the driver. Performing

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
killed xbmc (but I didnt tried it a second time after reflashing). Do you have an idea, how to install v0.85?

2. I wanted to ask you where I can configure a plugged in usb controller (SNES lokk-a-like)?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys :D

New2

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:26 pm

New2LinuxOnARM wrote:Hi there,
first things first: THANKS! You are doing a great work!

I have some problems.

1. I have an XBox Batarang Controller, which isn't supported in xboxdrv v0.84 but in v0.85. I tried to update xboxdrv, but

sudo apt-get install xboxdrv
wont update the driver.
you can install the v0.85 of xboxdrv with the following command:

apt-get install -t wheezy-backports xboxdrv
New2LinuxOnARM wrote:Performing

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
killed xbmc (but I didnt tried it a second time after reflashing).
You forgot to do an apt-get dist-upgrade and therefore probably have newer graphics drivers, but not the right Kernel to run these drivers. Please perform:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
to fully update the image.
New2LinuxOnARM wrote:2. I wanted to ask you where I can configure a plugged in usb controller (SNES lokk-a-like)?
Most emulators use retroarch as a emulator frontend. When you start a game press F1 it will open up the frontend of the emulator.
You should be able to setup your controller here if you go through the menu and remap the buttons as you need them.

Wulf
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by Wulf » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:33 pm

Will this or the original gameStation Turbo (with XBMC) work on the XU4? If not, do you know what the best emulator for it is? I'm new to the community, so I'd appreciate any advice.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:08 am

The ODROID XU4 already has an image of this and I'm currently working on an updated version of the image.
You can check here: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7322 to find a beta version of the image.. but this image will be changed a little in the future adding some new things and doing some more bug fixes.

Wulf
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by Wulf » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:08 am

Thank you very much!

dantefff
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: c1+

Unread post by dantefff » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:19 am

First of all, THANKS for your work.

I'm new to odroid and c1. Is there any planned update for GameStation Turbo with XBMC for C1?

Thanks again!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:53 am

Yes, i recently updated the XU3/XU4 version of the image and the C1 will be the last to get this update, but it's probably gonna take a little while.
The C1 has many issues and bugs and i have to see what I have to do to get the C1 to work with systemd while still addressing some of the many issues of the C1.

Still the update is planed, it will just take a while.

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:57 pm

meveric wrote:Yes, i recently updated the XU3/XU4 version of the image and the C1 will be the last to get this update, but it's probably gonna take a little while.
The C1 has many issues and bugs and i have to see what I have to do to get the C1 to work with systemd while still addressing some of the many issues of the C1.

Still the update is planed, it will just take a while.
Good news! I will wait and take a look at other images in the while.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 am

Update - Debian Jessie:
I've updated the ODROID C1 image to the same level as the XU3/XU4 image
Means it's now running on Debian Jessie with all the features available on the XU3/XU4 image (as well as all other ODROID boards).

The C1, has many issues, which makes it rather hard to create proper images, but I did my best to fix some C1 related issues, so additional to the XU3/XU4 image the following changes and bugfixes are included:

Fixes:
  • Fixes a bug with with the c1 init script
    Debian uses a different version of Busybox compared to Ubuntu. The most severe difference is the missing "fbset" command in the initramfs version of Busybox, this is needed by the c1 init script to set the correct color depth and screen resolution. I ported the Busybox version from Ubuntu 14.04 to Debian Jessie in order to provide fbset. Now the correct screen resolution and color depth is set the same way as on the official HardKernel image.
  • Fixed an issue with user keyring
Changes:
  • Kodi 15.2 is now pre-installed
  • Kodi addons are pre-installed for PVR and different audio plugin support
  • Added hook for building uInitrd upon initramfs update
  • Added ZRAM to the image can be deactivated via ODROID GameStation Turbo Setup
New Features:
  • Added option for ZRAM to ODROID GameStation Turbo Setup (available for all boards)
Most work was done to get the image to work stable on the C1, I haven't done much performance tests or optimization, for emulators.

eguibs

Unread post by eguibs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:12 pm

hey thanks for your work i'll try this and i'll give you some feedbacks !

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks, feedback is always appreciated :)

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:49 am

Thanks for the release!

It seems that the image is half updated. If I run "apt update" it asks me to run "dpkg --configure -a" to complete unfinish configurations (libreoffice-help-en-us, libreoffice-sdbc-firebird, libfreeimage3, ntp, libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb, openjdk-7-jre-headless, krb5-locales, libc-bin, icedtea-7-jre-jamvm, openjdk-7-jre)

Apart from this everything looks OK.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:30 am

hmm, that's odd, but I will look into it.

I'll upload a fixed version if this really is an issue. Thanks for reporting it :)

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:06 am

meveric wrote:hmm, that's odd, but I will look into it.

I'll upload a fixed version if this really is an issue. Thanks for reporting it :)
Not really an issue. Fixing it is not worth the time of uploading a new version. Another question that maybe is not regarding your image but really from Kodi: I am experiencing sound and video synchronization problems. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Enviado desde mi Xperia T mediante Tapatalk

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:45 am

I think i've read about this issue somewhere else in the forums.. I don't use the C1 so I'm not sure about that issue.
What kind of movies are you try to watch? What format? H.264? H.264? MPEG4? Xvid?
Do you have an example file you can share?

eguibs

Unread post by eguibs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:54 am

same problems here ! there are issues with sync into kody only !!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:25 pm

dantefff wrote:Thanks for the release!

It seems that the image is half updated. If I run "apt update" it asks me to run "dpkg --configure -a" to complete unfinish configurations (libreoffice-help-en-us, libreoffice-sdbc-firebird, libfreeimage3, ntp, libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb, openjdk-7-jre-headless, krb5-locales, libc-bin, icedtea-7-jre-jamvm, openjdk-7-jre)

Apart from this everything looks OK.
I checked on that issue, the image is fine, libreoffice and java update weren't out yet when the image was created, so you probably had a broken update at some point, but it's not part of the image as it's shipped..
dantefff wrote:Another question that maybe is not regarding your image but really from Kodi: I am experiencing sound and video synchronization problems. Is there anything I can do to fix it?
eguibs wrote:same problems here ! there are issues with sync into kody only !!
I checked on that and it's true, the sound is out of sync. Strangely enough this only happens with the new decoder written by Oversun, while software decoded videos seem to run fine.
It seems at the start of each video the video is playing while the sound is not playing yet.
I also noticed if you start a movie/clip and go into the sound setting of that clip and either switch passthrough or stereo upmix the issue is gone (switching means changing to any other setting. If passthrough is off, turn it on, if it's on, turn it off, it works both ways, just changing is required).
I'm gonna build a new package with the older amcodec code enabled and see if this changes anything. If so, I'm gonna update the Kodi package.

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Just in case it's worth to know, for me the sound delay happens even in kodi menu (If i change quickly in a list, the sound effect of changing current item is quite delayed).

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:14 pm

This actually affacted the entire image, not just Kodi. The audio was not configured correctly.
An important pulse audio option was missing.
If you do a system update

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
The issue should be gone, but you need to reboot after the update.

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:35 am

meveric wrote:This actually affacted the entire image, not just Kodi. The audio was not configured correctly.
An important pulse audio option was missing.
If you do a system update

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
The issue should be gone, but you need to reboot after the update.
Thanks for the try @maveric but my kodi sound is still buggy. Can I make something to help you diagnose the error?

Can I test if the update made the right configuration changes on pulse by some way?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:59 am

check /etc/pulse/default.pa

Check if the following two lines are activated:

load-module module-alsa-sink
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0
Edit:
I also prepared a new image which I'm gonna upload later on.
Which includes this and a couple other bugfixes and cleanup work.

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:37 am

meveric wrote:check /etc/pulse/default.pa

Check if the following two lines are activated:

load-module module-alsa-sink
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0
Edit:
I also prepared a new image which I'm gonna upload later on.
Which includes this and a couple other bugfixes and cleanup work.
Thank you very much. The lines are there, but the sync is far from perfect here. The sound an the image loose sync and resynchronizes periodically.

Edit: if I can do something to help I would like to. The format an the resolution are not a factor

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 am

I'm gonna check later on a longer movie and see how it reacts.. I watched a music video and it was fine.
There issn't much you can do.

Try out other stuff.. the issue is probably not only related to Kodi.. try some games or other things to see if there's delay as well.
Does the menu of Kodi still have delays when you go from one option to another?

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:58 am

meveric wrote:I'm gonna check later on a longer movie and see how it reacts.. I watched a music video and it was fine.
There issn't much you can do.

Try out other stuff.. the issue is probably not only related to Kodi.. try some games or other things to see if there's delay as well.
Does the menu of Kodi still have delays when you go from one option to another?
Yes the kodi menu has still delayed sound, an the sound in the movies still starts a bit later than the video.

I tested your Stepmamia port (thank you again) but or seems to work fine.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:45 pm

The new image is uploaded can you test with it?

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:53 am

meveric wrote:The new image is uploaded can you test with it?
I'll check as soon as possible. Thanks

dantefff

Unread post by dantefff » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:41 pm

I have tested this new version and kodi sound is much better. Thank you!

By the way, what is the reason to make 720p the default resolution?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:19 am

Yes, the X11 drivers of mali DDX have poor scaling performance for full-screen GLES applications (such as retroarch).

You can test this yourself:
Switch to 1080p and start glmark2-es2 (install it if not yet on the image)
In Window mode it should have 170 or more FPS. If you switch to fullscreen (glmark2-es2 --fullscreen) the performance dropped drastically in the past. Sometimes to 40 FPS and less.

This will make it impossible to play games at a decent speed, that's why you have to force the C1 to scale as little as possible and in 720 the speed is still good.
The GPU could probably perform much better with decent X11 framebuffer drivers.

Another reason is, that not every user has an 1080p monitor/TV available.
And while other ODROID devices can use framebuffer drivers that can automatically determine the resolution of your TV/Monitor and adjust on the fly, the C1 can't do so.
So starting at 720p will probably work for more users than 1080p as a default.

dantefff

Re: [OS] ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for C1

Unread post by dantefff » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:00 am

meveric wrote:Yes, the X11 drivers of mali DDX have poor scaling performance for full-screen GLES applications (such as retroarch).

You can test this yourself:
Switch to 1080p and start glmark2-es2 (install it if not yet on the image)
In Window mode it should have 170 or more FPS. If you switch to fullscreen (glmark2-es2 --fullscreen) the performance dropped drastically in the past. Sometimes to 40 FPS and less.

This will make it impossible to play games at a decent speed, that's why you have to force the C1 to scale as little as possible and in 720 the speed is still good.
The GPU could probably perform much better with decent X11 framebuffer drivers.

Another reason is, that not every user has an 1080p monitor/TV available.
And while other ODROID devices can use framebuffer drivers that can automatically determine the resolution of your TV/Monitor and adjust on the fly, the C1 can't do so.
So starting at 720p will probably work for more users than 1080p as a default.
Ok! Thank you for the answer.

Quinix
ODROIDs: C1+

Unread post by Quinix » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:13 am

Hi, first of all thanks for this great project.

I was wondering in which path i have to copy the bios since when im starting a game it keeps telling me that no bios was found.

EDIT: I found it nevermind. But i was wondering how do i set up a individual cfg for each emulator since i want different behavior of my xbox 360 pad for PSX and SNES for instance

thanks for the help

Greetings

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:30 am

if you start a game you can press F1 to switch to retroarch menu.

Go to Settings -> Configuration
Activate Save Configuration On Exit and Configuration Per-Core.

This will save each configuration you choose by the emulator you're using, means if you play PS1 games you can use different settings than for SNES games if you want to.

templer

Unread post by templer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:41 am

Hello,

I have the following problem in the GST system.

My wireless network is disconnected when time passes.

Ping my router
ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available

When I reinstall the firmware-realtek get the following result:

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.10.80-10-odrobian
Image Name: uInitrd
Created: Mon Nov 23 20:21:39 2015
Image Type: ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size: 2902891 Bytes = 2834.85 kB = 2.77 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point: 00000000
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 83: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: cannot create /sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_flow_cnt: Directory nonexistent
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 84: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: cannot create /sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus: Directory nonexistent
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 85: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: cannot create /sys/class/net/eth0/queues/tx-0/xps_cpus: Directory nonexisten

The dongle is purchased hardkernel wifi module 3

Thanks for the help :)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:16 am

templer wrote:update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.10.80-10-odrobian
Nice try, but that issn't my image ;)

Still check that there is no blacklist for the stick that you have. Some firmwares are blacklisted by default on Debian images /etc/modprobe.d/
and check dmesg and syslog entries, as well as lsusb to see if the device is found at all and what issues are reported.

templer

Unread post by templer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:16 am

Sorry, you're right,
I have the same problem as in odrobian GUST tant and copy the other log. It's weird because if I install the kernel that comes with the official release other works i do not

Return to “Projects”