All-In-One Case for C1 (ODROID Classic?)

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

All-In-One Case for C1 (ODROID Classic?)

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:17 am

Hello,

I am trying to make a case which can contain C1 as its heart and look like an all-in-one computer, spend few weekends to design the shape based on acrylic panel using SketchUp, my first use. Here are the images what it look like. Yes, it looks like Macintosh Classic and designed 1:1 scale. ;) I wished to put my C1 into original Macintosh Classic and tried to buy one from eBay or local Macintosh user forum. It wasn't easy, very less items, too expensive or serious cracks. So...I decided to design my own based on its shape.

The case itself is too huge to install C1 inside, but this has display and internal power...so would be nice to use. Cross finger.
Tried to buy 9" B/W CRT monitor as original Macintosh uses the one, I realized that it's almost impossible in a week. So...instead...selected 9.7" IPS LCD panel with 1024x768 resolution, at least I wanted to keep 4:3 ratio. The material for the body, I choose clear acrylic panel 5T and designed to be assembled without adhesive.

Still thinking what items/hardwares I could fill up the case like HDD or something else. Otherwise it's really like a big shell and C1 will become a pearl. Some of ideas I have, but sure yet I can realize it. :)
Attachments
odroid_classic_a-21.jpg
odroid_classic_a-21.jpg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 127687 times
odroid_classic_a-11.jpg
odroid_classic_a-11.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 127687 times
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: All-In-One Case for C1 (ODROID Classic?)

Unread postby streetboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Cool! I love the old Mac design.
I had a plan to embed my U3 board into the old original Apple-2 case. But it failed because of keyboard matrix issue.
I tried it with the odroid-usb-io board but I couldn't implement the key matrix firmware. :(
anyway, i wanna know how you can establish the interface to the 9.7inch LCD XGA screen?
streetboy

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X,U2,XU3-Lite
C1, XU4

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:46 pm

streetboy wrote:Cool! I love the old Mac design.
I had a plan to embed my U3 board into the old original Apple-2 case. But it failed because of keyboard matrix issue.
I tried it with the odroid-usb-io board but I couldn't implement the key matrix firmware. :(
anyway, i wanna know how you can establish the interface to the 9.7inch LCD XGA screen?

Simple, there are many LCD kit with display board (HDMI/VGA to LVDS) and backlit, even IR remote controller. Little bit expensive but good to interface easily with C1 thru HDMI.
tobetter

Unread postby streetboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:46 pm

Thank you for the information. I will try to find one in DX or Aliexpress when i have money in May. :mrgreen:
streetboy

C1, XU4

Unread postby tobetter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:54 am

After modeling with SketchUp, I made a purchase order to acrylic foaming company, they asked to provide a design as .dwg file which only have a cutting lines to process with laser cutting machine. I had contact with several companies and all they asked the .dwg file since they compute its costs based on time of work to finish the drawing in a machine and the square of materials to achieve the order. Obviously I picked up a company which suggested lowest cost.

So...finally acrylic material is arrived. I've ordered my SketchUp design and it became 20 pieces of physical puzzle.
2.jpg
2.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 127613 times

But there are missing or wrong holes I didn't realized when I made an order. And what I made a mistake was I added much spaces on each square holes what are fit to another pieces to assembly. I chose the thickness of 5mm thick acrylic which would make strong body I thought and I've advised to consider the error of the acrylic panel itself from the few technicians, some part of panel could be 5.5mm on the same 5mm panel. No one did give me a precise number to add on the hole, since based on their experiences it is very random and the laser cutting itself gives +-0.3mm errors at the all cut lines. Therefore I had to decide, 1) keep the original hole size - no error consideration or 2) add my own extend depth at four side. :?: So...I chose option 2 and add 0.2mm at each side, so most of holes are designed as 20mm x 5mm and it became 20.4mm x 5.4mm in final design to order. And when I received the acrylic pieces I was really happy since it was my first work of mechanical drawing by S/W engineer but immediately realized that 0.4mm is huge number. I started to understand why mechanical engineers in my previous projects were struggled with 0.1mm on their design. Anyway, there were 20 pieces of physical stuff and I couldn't use <DEL> key with these as usual. Fortunately...every pieces can be assembled as expected and a grinder was not necessary. ;) Here is the physical shape what they are completely assembled.
1.jpg
1.jpg (38.51 KiB) Viewed 127613 times
tobetter

Unread postby Ricardona » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:27 pm

This is an amazing job. Will you use a floppy drive ? :D
Ricardona

languages_spoken: english spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID C1

Unread postby tobetter » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:35 am

Ricardona wrote:This is an amazing job. Will you use a floppy drive ? :D

Yes, trying to use it. But different purpose...still investigating how make it work better with C1. :D
tobetter

Unread postby tobetter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:53 am

My son helped me to assemble the case in the weekend morning, and promised he is going to help me out till I finish.
586F3263.JPG
586F3263.JPG (326.22 KiB) Viewed 127455 times

But...after 1 hour, he found his friends are playing in the playground over the window, he hurried to finish assembling the part where hold LCD and display board and he rushed out as soon as he finished this much.
586F3270.JPG
586F3270.JPG (427.07 KiB) Viewed 127455 times

Most of acrylic parts are assembled and tried to turn on C1 with new LCD panel, WiFi USB dongle #4, USB audio dongle with stereo speaker and my USB keyboard. My keyboard is completely matched like it is already designed for this case. Only the problem was its color is black. ;)
586F3316.JPG
586F3316.JPG (400.43 KiB) Viewed 127455 times

586F3338.JPG
586F3338.JPG (392.04 KiB) Viewed 127455 times

Once all parts are assembled, I realized that weight of the case is too heavy about 3Kg and I have to order extra aluminum profile which should hold the front and rear case. And one more thing is that I didn't consider to use built-in speaker, instead installed USB audio dongle. So I started look for 3" speaker unit with 4 ohm, since the display board itself already support speaker out and its impedance is 4 ohm.
tobetter

Unread postby patoberli » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:18 am

Which display driver and display do you use here? And what's its native resolution?
Looking very nice though, but the 3 KG material is surprising!
-
pato
patoberli

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1 with RTC, Bluetooth 4.0, Wireless stick 4.0

Unread postby streetboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:48 am

You are awesome!
Will you run the old Mac emulator on Android? or Ubuntu?
streetboy

C1, XU4

Unread postby tobetter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 am

streetboy wrote:You are awesome!
Will you run the old Mac emulator on Android? or Ubuntu?

Thanks! :D
Fortunately, Mini vMac emulator works on both platform. I didn't run with it much but it's working and looks pretty good. Let me upload a photo later.
tobetter

Unread postby tobetter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 am

patoberli wrote:Which display driver and display do you use here? And what's its native resolution?
Looking very nice though, but the 3 KG material is surprising!

It's 1024x768 resolution in 9.7" which is the same size with iPad (1st generation), but not the same model, can be found in eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-VGA-AV-Aud ... 2a46f5470c
tobetter

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:07 am

Since built-in speaker was not consider in this project and suddenly changed, I had to make a hole for the speakers on the left & right panel. I choose 3" full range 4ohm speaker, make a hole for such big speaker was not easy.
speaker_hole_1.jpg
speaker_hole_1.jpg (141.95 KiB) Viewed 127391 times

After couple of hours, both speakers were able to be settled in their places. I immediately started to test to see how they work. Perfect!! Even though this is not high quality audio system, this is just good for personal desktop usage and game play.
speaker_hole_2.jpg
speaker_hole_2.jpg (158.12 KiB) Viewed 127391 times

This made the table very dirty.
after_speaker_work.jpg
after_speaker_work.jpg (441.71 KiB) Viewed 127391 times

Also I had to make a board mount table for HDD and ODROID-C1. I hadn't good idea to assemble this with adhesive till odering the outer cases, still I am and had to use adhesive. This is designed to install 3.5" HDD, floppy drive and ODROID-C1 on top of this. Since the top panel can be replacable, another ODROID board can be the owner of this case. :D
board_mount.jpg
board_mount.jpg (376.79 KiB) Viewed 127391 times

After these works, assembled and test again.
speaker_mount_table.jpg
speaker_mount_table.jpg (466.66 KiB) Viewed 127391 times

As you see, there is not PSU instead using ODROID's PSU while testing. The original plan is to install single PSU inside the case and supply power like other consumer devices. Hence AC socket and switch is installed on the back panel of the case. Waiting for dual channel (5V/12V) PSU.
Mini vMac.jpg
Mini vMac.jpg (258.57 KiB) Viewed 127391 times

Playing Angry Birds.jpg
Playing Angry Birds.jpg (262.63 KiB) Viewed 127390 times
tobetter

Unread postby sert00 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:24 am

very cool project!compliments :D
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....
sert00

languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread postby tobetter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:09 am

New power supply is arrived and can be replaced ODRIOID's PSU instead. Also in order to use C1's peripheral ports like USB and ethernet, I had to extend such ports to the back of the case. Therefore had to make another piece what hold the sockets.
extender-1.jpg
extender-1.jpg (212.47 KiB) Viewed 127107 times

For USB ports, additional USB 2.0 hub what I don't use any more is added. For ethernet and serial ports, more wires are connected.
extender-2.jpg
extender-2.jpg (199.88 KiB) Viewed 127107 times

One more board on top of C1 is to help enhance the signal, two UART ports, and controls the keypad of LCD display. LCD display board itself have a keypad board for OSD and IR receiver. But these boards can not be useful for this case since these are not able to be placed in out. So decided to handle these signals by GPIO of C1 by connected with OSD keypad signals.
extender-3.jpg
extender-3.jpg (269.33 KiB) Viewed 127107 times

New SMPS dual channel, 5V/4A and 12V/1A, to supply for C1 and LCD display.
view-power.jpg
view-power.jpg (235.24 KiB) Viewed 127107 times

Here is the one fully assembled, display, network and USB are connected and consisted in a case. WiFi USB dongle #4 is built in by default. :D
view-left.jpg
view-left.jpg (207.02 KiB) Viewed 127107 times

Rear view of the case, you can see that how cables are extended from C1.
view-rear.jpg
view-rear.jpg (216.36 KiB) Viewed 127107 times

Playing Super Mario World! :D
view-playing.jpg
view-playing.jpg (221.87 KiB) Viewed 127107 times

What's next...
1. Actually I planned to install floppy drive as original Macintosh have. Since regular floppy drive in IBM machine have manual eject button, I wanted to handle the button by a motor for automatic eject. Unfortunately I couldn't find a nice motor with enough torque and size yet.
2. As many users know that USB keyboard is not working properly on C1, legging problem on key inputs. Already some USB devices are dedicated on the back panel, two for USB game controller and 1 for USB mouse already, for keyboard needs another port. PS/2 or ADB? No, I guess HID by I2C would be good for C1. But additional H/W work and programming is required.
tobetter

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:46 pm

It's been a year already I posted this project, unfortunately I haven't finished all what I planned for this. I appreciate the users interesting this project, reading this post or article on ODROID magazine. Since some of users wanted to have the drawing, I would like to open my Google drive. You can modify and distribute the files if necessary, but please share your effort on this thread. :)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... DZQOE83QWM
tobetter

Unread postby rooted » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:15 am

Nice work, I never seen this thread. Did you consider painting the inside of the case matte beige to match the original?
rooted

Unread postby tobetter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:10 am

rooted wrote:Nice work, I never seen this thread. Did you consider painting the inside of the case matte beige to match the original?

Not really, since I don't have the skill...and dislike spay thing. :)
tobetter

Return to Projects