[OS] ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for C1

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: [OS] ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for C1

Unread postby Jojo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:25 am

meveric wrote:Editing snes-xbmc only works if you start a game with that command, not if you start retroarch itself.
You should use snes-xbmc <Path-to-ROM-file> to start the rom with the respective core, as snes-xbmc will start retroarch together with the core it's suppose to use
Code: Select all
retroarch -L <Path-to-libretro-core> <Path-to-ROM-file>

Yeah, I did it very similar now: I have defined a new default command to open SNES roms (*.smc):
retroarch -L <Path-to-libretro-core>

That works pretty fine for me and has a relatively high WAF. Now I have a "just double-click" solution :) . BTW: I have very good results with the snes9x2010 core. The snes9x2002 basically works, too, but some graphics like dialog boxes just don't show up.

Let me know if I can help in any way (even if it is "only" testing ;) )

Greetings
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, HC2, VU8C

Unread postby Ruschi78 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi guys.. Very nice software for me and my kids..

I tried to update the system but root pw is wrong.. which is it?
I also tried to change the pw but no success...

by the way.. I have PS3 dualshock controllers.. will they work out of the box?

greetz from germany.
Ruschi78

ODROIDs: odroid c1

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Ruschi78 wrote:Hi guys.. Very nice software for me and my kids..

I tried to update the system but root pw is wrong.. which is it?

The root password is "odroid" as for the user odroid itself as well.
Please note, that "sudo" is not the same as "root - password" as sudo is not allowed for the user "odroid" you have to use su - instead of using sudo.

Ruschi78 wrote:I also tried to change the pw but no success...

As I said, "odroid" is the default password for everything.

Ruschi78 wrote:by the way.. I have PS3 dualshock controllers.. will they work out of the box?

In most cases it should work out of the box. Retroarch uses udev to find the controller and uses the correct settings for PS 3 controller.
Other emulators (for example PPSSPP) have to be configured to work correctly with PS3 controller, but should be rather easy to do so.
There's a bug in Kodi, that prevents you from using PS3 controller and even may cause Kodi to crash, but there's a workaround.
Sadly I haven't had time to deploy the workaround for everyone.
I'll look into it and may push that with one of the next updates though :)

Ruschi78 wrote:greetz from germany.

Greetings back from Germany as well ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby Ruschi78 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:41 am

If I do an apt-get update, there is apt-transport-https missing and cant' be installed with apt-get install apt-transport-https..

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk
Ruschi78

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:40 am

su -
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
sed -i "s/^/#/" *.list
apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https ca-certificates
sed -i "s/^#//" *.list
# after this you can update as usual again:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

that should fix it :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby Ruschi78 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:05 am

meveric wrote:
su -
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
sed -i "s/^/#/" *.list
apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https ca-certificates
sed -i "s/^#//" *.list
# after this you can update as usual again:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

that should fix it :)
Ty very much.. works

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk
Ruschi78

Unread postby Jojo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi @meveric,

I recently set up a clean new OGST system for one of my C1s. I got most things working (generally), as I could just copy many things from one system to another.
But I am facing a strange problem: the whole system feels very slow/laggy. I can see it in games (Descent, ReVolt) as well as on the Kodi UI, Chromium, just everything is slow and "stuttering". Even the boot process and the creation of the desktop icons happens like in slow-motion :( .

The SD card is a 64GB SanDisk Ultra (not that bad), UHS support is enabled (disabling did not change a thing). The system is fully updated/upgraded. Performance governor is "performance", stock CPU clock as well as overclocked CPU show identical behaviour. So generally the system behaved this way since the very beginning.
Films in Kodi, on the other hand, run fluently. But es2gears only run with 30-35 FPS. Do I have a driver issue here? Which information can I provide to investigate that?

Thanks and greetings!
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:03 pm

hm, what resolution are you using? default 720p or did you change it to 1080p?

Can you try installing glmark2-es2 apt-get install -t jessie glmark2-es2 generally it should have over 60 FPS in window mode, fullscreen not as much, but still decent.
Also it should show some output of what GPU drivers are used.

Maybe there was a MESA driver update in between and you only need to reinstall mali450-odroid to make it work again.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks for your support!

I am running the stock resolution of 720p, 32bpp. Just for the protocol: the mali450-odroid package is already installed (apt-get install says that). But of course I can try a reinstallation.
I will let you know the results, when I am back home.

In the meantime, I have observed (htop), that the process "/usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 (... something more I can not see)" eats up a lot of CPU, sometimes up to 50% but mostly around 20%-30%, when I run htop locally in a terminal window. I also tracked the CPU load with conky, and I could see, that there is constant load on all CPU cores (also around 20%-30%) and so the CPU never throttles the clock speed and gets relatively hot (>60°C) by just showing the desktop. Really weird, hm?
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Jojo wrote:Thanks for your support!

I am running the stock resolution of 720p, 32bpp. Just for the protocol: the mali450-odroid package is already installed (apt-get install says that). But of course I can try a reinstallation.
I will let you know the results, when I am back home.

Yes, that is normal, the mali450-odroid package shares some files with the MESA drivers. Some programs require that mesa packages are installed. This would fail if the mali450-odroid package would conflict the mesa packages.
Therefore mali450-odroid is allowed to overwrite MESA files (but sadly also vice versa) that way both mali450-odroid and MESA can be installed at the same time.
So reinstalling apt-get install --reinstall mali450-odroid might be required to make sure the MESA files are replaced by Mali drivers.

Jojo wrote:In the meantime, I have observed (htop), that the process "/usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 (... something more I can not see)" eats up a lot of CPU, sometimes up to 50% but mostly around 20%-30%, when I run htop locally in a terminal window.

Haven't checked in a while but I guess that's normal. Others have reported that even on the XU4 under Ubuntu one thread is always at 100% handling Xorg, so 20~30% doesn't sound too bad.

Jojo wrote:I also tracked the CPU load with conky, and I could see, that there is constant load on all CPU cores (also around 20%-30%)

Not quite sure why. Without anything up and running CPU should be relatively quite. Unless you have Kodi running or something which can use quite some CPU power.
Jojo wrote:and so the CPU never throttles the clock speed and gets relatively hot (>60°C) by just showing the desktop. Really weird, hm?

Not really. The CPU is in performance mode, as you already pointed out in your previous post.
Performance mode means it never clocks down. Although 60°C for the C1 is quite warm, unless you have it in the plastic case from hardkernel, then I guess it's normal as the heat gets stuck inside that case.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:51 am

Alright, I think I am about to give up :( . I reinstalled mali450-odroid and rebooted. After that, boot process hangs with this screen:
IMG_20180322_000228.jpg
IMG_20180322_000228.jpg (307.27 KiB) Viewed 318 times

And for the search bot:
mmcblk0: r/w command failed
end_request: I/O error
Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0
mmc_blk_reset 939 reset error

emmc: mmc_rescan_try_freq: trying to init card at 300000 Hz

This is where everything ends. To honest: the exact same error appeared on my first OGST system. But I did not mention it, because I thought that it was just caused by my tinkering around with that poor thing. There, the error appeard just suddenly without any reboot. The system just became unresponsive and I had to reboot.
But with the new system, I used another ODROID C1 device and another SD card (I always keep the old stuff, until I get the new thing working).
So I've got the same error on completely different systems. While nobody else seems to have that, there must be an issue somewhere on my side. Of course I already tried to both enable/disable UHS options. Both my SD cards (old and new system) are SanDisk Ultras.
For some reason I never faced that problem with the HK image.

I'd really never say, that it's your systems "fault", because it seems to work for most other people. For me, it did, too - until now. And I am just thinking that it gonna be hard to figure out whats wrong here. What do you think?

Greetings
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 am

The hanging is unrelated to the mali GPU drivers.. the above issue is common for incompatible SD cards, which is a long standing issue with the C1 :(
If you check the partition layout you will find that the UUID information of /dev/mmcblk0p2 is damaged.. you probably have a partition without any UUID at all.

This happens when the system does the auto resize and is very frustrating.. I tried different approaches to get around this issue. I was able to fix this with one SD brand (Intenso) but couldn't fix it for all.
The fix I use is intensionally use smaller values of the partition than what the system reports as is maximum also forcing resize2fs to write the new partition layout even if the partition reports to be broken (which recreated the partition with UUID).
As I said all very frustrating.

HardKernel did several fixes in the Kernel to address this issue, but although HardKernel uses the same Kernel as I do, Ubuntu and Debian still handle this issue differently, so my guess it also depends on the GCC version and glibc version how this issue is handled, or some other strange variable in that field.

The only solution that always works is eMMC. SD cards are always a little bit of trail and error, although SanDisk Ultra (not Ultra Plus or Extreme) are known to run best, I mainly buy SanDisk Ultra through Amazon as it's the only brand that always worked for me.

In the past we had the same issue on the XU3 with an older version of Kernel 3.10... this issue was so extreme that the filesystem got corrupted while booting the system on some SD cards.
I had an SanDisk Extreme card.. flashing the card was fine (actually worked on the C1 perfectly) checked SD card.. all good.. put it into XU3.. booted.. all seemed fine.. suddenly system hangs.. restart... couldn't boot anymore.
Put the SD card back in PC, filesystem completely messed up.. files and folders with cryptic names and such.. reflashed.. checked.. all fine... boot -> crashed while booting -> filesystem corrupted..
These were terrible times :D
But now all works on the XU3/XU4.. still the C1 has some issues.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:57 pm

@meveric
Thank you for pointing that out. I was generally aware of this well known SD-card-compatibility-issue. Thats why I have a bunch of SanDisk Ultra 64GB SD cards here, as they are known to be higher-than-average-quality and they are known to have low/no compatibility issues.

I agree with what you say, because my current problem looks obviously like this compatibility issue. But I think the statistical probability seems very low in my case: two known-to-work-well SD cards, two devices (where one is an old C1 and one is the C1+, that should have even improved SD card support). And to make it even worse, the newer of both cards has already worked well for month in a C1 with the HK stock image :( .

Please don't get me wrong. I don't blame your system in any way. Even if it seems in my case as the root cause, it can't be, because it seems to work well for most other people.
Actually it is hard for me to decide what to do. One option would be to believe in statistics and leave OGST behind -> this is something I generally want to avoid, because my girls and me like your OGST system.
Another option would be give a damn about statistics and try other SD cards, maybe some non-SanDisk ones -> this is obviously easier and quicker.

So I will go for the second option, because even if statistics fails me, there is still the factor "hope".

I will let you know my results. Of course you are welcome to propose a different approach :) .

Greetings
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:03 pm

You can try moving the rootfs to an HDD (or even USB stick) instead.
That way only the Kernel is loaded from SD card and the rootfs would run from HDD, it also means more games and videos readily available for/on the system.

Sure trying a different brand of SD card is always a possibility, or if you can afford it, going for an eMMC is always a guaranteed success.
Small eMMC should be fine if you have your media on a network storage or HDD instead.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:45 pm

meveric wrote:You can try moving the rootfs to an HDD (or even USB stick) instead.
That way only the Kernel is loaded from SD card and the rootfs would run from HDD, it also means more games and videos readily available for/on the system

Sure. But on the other hand the C1 suffers from this USB-IRQ issue, that's why I like to reduce the attached USB devices to the absolute necessary minimum: the gaming controllers :) . At home I use a NAS for films and such stuff. But when I take the OGST system onto a holiday trip, I copy only a hand full of films over to the local SD card. So for this use-case, an external storage is usually not necessary and a 32GB SD card has always been big enough in my case.
And this is also the reason, why I haven't bought an eMMC module until now, because a 32GB eMMC module costs as much as 3-4 SD cards ;) . On the other hand buying an eMMC module would mean to buy some peace of mind... :roll:
Jojo

Unread postby francisscott » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Is that possible to rebuild some cores ? Parallel n64 or snes9x for example.
francisscott

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:50 pm

What do you mean by rebuild?
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Build with more recent code.
francisscott

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:46 am

There are over 100 cores that are currently available in my repository, building 100 cores takes a very long time, mostly due to the fact that i try to highly optimize the code for the given architecture.
For example the parallel-n64 core is actually available optimized specifically for Exynos 4 (Cortex-A9), Exynos 5 (Cortex-A15.Cortex-A7), and AmLogic S805 (Cortex-A5), and in the future AmLogic S905 (Cortex-A53) and RockChip 3399 (Cortex-A72.Cortex-A53) will be added as well.
This makes it roughly 150 cores that I build each time that I updated the cores for retroarch.. I do not use automated build system as it fails on many cores that are not optimized for arm, and also due to the fact that the libretro project constantly updates their Makefiles and codes and introduce new issues and problems that I need to fix manually, also some cores take several hours to compile and link (MAME for example).

Aside from that, just building a "new core" doesn't mean it's an improvement. In fact some cores I explicitly keep using older versions from as newer cores have significant performance hits resulting in games no longer being able to play.
HOW do you figure that out? -> TESTING each core individually comparing it with it's previous version, measuring performance gain and losses in different scenarios (150 cores avg. 10min testing equals about 24hrs testing all cores in total probably closer to 30-50 hrs just TESTING)
Even if a core builds successfully doesn't mean it's working.. it can still segfault, which require code fixes, or different compiler options to get them to work... how do you figure this out? -> TESTING...

Guess who does all the work? Building? Testing? Meassure speeds between older and newer cores? Investigate in new build tools and compiler FLAGS (for example newer GCC versions).
If you guessed "meveric" you guessed correctly.
I'm doing this all by myself.

Why do I say this? To make you understand how hard it is to keep these cores as good and fast as possible, and creating updates for all cores does take several weeks, yes even months.
That is why updates do not happen that often, only two times are year or so...
I do occasionally update single cores in between if I noticed significant code changes that may benefit us.. but to be honest these happen very rarely.

Now to the two cores you mentioned for example.
"Parallel N64" is basically a dead projects. If you check the commits of the last 6 months you will see that there were mostly just commits for emscripten or android build scripts.. all stuff that do not affect ODROIDs at all, so there's no new code it's still the same... and as the project is essentially dead, I don't expect much to change here at all.

Same goes for snes9x.. the emulator is pretty much complete.. the bugfixes and changes that happen in that project you can count on one hand per year. The rest is once again build fixes for platforms as android emscripten Solaris and whatever.. nothing that helps us in any kind.

I will keep updating the cores, especially the ones that are new and are still active in development and I will keep trying to optimize them.. some of the cores I have optimized from the first version to the current version nearly doubling the speed, just by using newer tools and better compile option.. these changes are often much more important than "new code".

I''m currently focused on porting most of my work from Debian Jessie to Debian Stretch to move forward in technology as well this is a very huge task, and will include rebuilding all libretro cores as well.
When this happens I will likely updated some cores for Debian Jessie as well.. to upload new cores that are now available on the libretro project and update cores that got significant changes.

Still this is only part of the work that needs to be done.
My repository currently holds far over 2100 .deb files for Different operating systems (Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch and even some that work on Ubuntu as well) for nearly all ODROIDs ever created (ODROID X,X2,U2/U3,XU3/XU4-Series,C1/C1+,C2,N1) and I keep adding or updating files every couple days: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5908&p=220436#p220436
Once again, I'm the only one porting, compiling, testing, fixing, etc.

I can just tell you I will update it, but it might take some time, especially if you just want "updated cores" without anything specifics.. over 100 cores take time, it won't happen that often.

BUT if you actually have an issue with one of the cores you think should/could be fixed, or see some changes on a specific core that you think that sound interesting, please let me know.. updating a single or a few cores or other programs on "request" is rather simple for me and I can do that in between, just not all at once.
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Just asking...
francisscott

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:44 pm

And as I said, I will update.

If you need something specific, let me know.
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Thank for your help.
francisscott

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 am

Hi meveric,

maybe you remember, that I recently had the problem, that my freshly installed and updated/upgraded OGST image felt slow and laggy with relatively high CPU load (higher than normal) in mostly all situations.

Now I had some time to test much more things. Let me just tell you the symptoms, maybe you have an idea what might be wrong:
- games are running not really slow, but "stuttery" (only ~20 FPS in Descent 1/2), sound is ok
- RVGL crashes right before loading the main menu
- SNES games run unplayable slow (5-10 FPS), sound is lagging as well
- KODI UI operations are laggy/stuttery, films are ok
- glmark2-es2 score is 28

If I should describe how the system mostly looks/feels like, I would say "---....---....---....", where each "-" stands for 100ms where graphics are fluently and each "." stands for 100ms, where it lags like hell. I am still using a quite good SD card (Toshiba Exceria now). I've read about cases, where people also experienced a laggy system after updating everything, which then was "solved" by reinstalling the system. Would you also recommend this, or do you have another idea, which could cause that?

Thanks and greetings!
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:37 am

Have you checked if the correct video driver is loaded?
does es2gears or glmark2-es say it's using Mali 450 drivers, or does it show MESA for example?
Have you tried re-installing mali gpu drivers? apt-get install --reinstall mali450-odroid

Have you checked the logs if they report anything? /var/log/Xorg.0.log, /var/log/syslog, dmesg?
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:15 pm

glmark2-es2 reports Mali-driver, I already reinstalled the driver some time ago.

I've not checked the logs, yet. Could you tell me, what I should look for? And you you think that some kind of file system errors could also cause such behaviour?

Greetings
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm

file system error is rather unlikely.. even if the SD card would be very very very slow.. the moment a program is in the memory the filesystem doesn't matter anymore.

you can check for issues with USB devices, means try using SSH and start programs over SSH and unplug USB devices from the system.. else I'm not entirely sure what it could be.

In the logs keep an eye open for obvious errors... Xorg log errors are shows as (EE) and in dmesg and syslog you can probably identify errors easily as well..
Maybe run tail -f /var/log/syslog for a while and see if it constantly logs something that could explain the stop and go behavior. Maybe you see a device constantly connecting and disconnecting or something like that.
You can also run an htop over ssh.. if you see a lot of I/O wait that could indicate something is wrong with the SD and would also have a similar behavior I guess.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:35 pm

I think we can except USB I/O issues. I can't see anything, that indicates that and I only have one single USB device connected (which is a Logitech Unifying receiver).

In syslog, I can't see anything special
dmesg shows many Buffer I/O errors for device mmcblk0/1/2 at the beginning of the boot process.

Maybe this is something interesting:
odroidc1-gamestation-turbo.png
odroidc1-gamestation-turbo.png (290.18 KiB) Viewed 154 times

rvgl floods the screen with messages like
glXGetProcAddress: gl(many things here) not found
and crashes with the error:
/usr/local/bin/rvgl_start: Zeile 49: 21914 Speicherzugriffsfehler LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib LIBGL_BATCH=1 LIBGL_NOERROR=1 ./rvgl
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Jojo wrote:In syslog, I can't see anything special
dmesg shows many Buffer I/O errors for device mmcblk0/1/2 at the beginning of the boot process.

Have you checked with htop if it shows I/O wait or something?
I don't want to rule out I/O completely as the C1 is known to have quite some issues with SD cards.

Jojo wrote:Maybe this is something interesting:
odroidc1-gamestation-turbo.png

Some of them look odd, especially the UMP errors. But as they seem to show only during boot, that shouldn't be an issue "I guess".

Jojo wrote:rvgl floods the screen with messages like
glXGetProcAddress: gl(many things here) not found

That is normal it uses gl4es a wrapper for OpenGL -> OpenGL ES and not all functions exist, this is basically a list of features that are not found, but nothing to worry about.

Jojo wrote:and crashes with the error:
/usr/local/bin/rvgl_start: Zeile 49: 21914 Speicherzugriffsfehler LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib LIBGL_BATCH=1 LIBGL_NOERROR=1 ./rvgl

Not sure if that's really an issue.. as far as I know nearly every program "ends" in a segfault when you exit it even if nothing went wrong, so I guess that can be ignored.
If it crashes during gameplay then maybe we can check further into it, but on exit, that should be "normal".
You can try altering the file /usr/local/bin/rvgl_start and remove LIBGL_BATCH=1 on line 49 as it's not really needed anymore and had some issues in the past.
But I don't think that's a general issue with the system.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 pm

About the I/O errors:
no, htop does not show anything about that. But I observed something weird: I use "conky" as a fancy system monitor. In my configuration conky also shows the 4 most CPU-demanding processes as well as the CPU load for each core. Now the strange thing: when I am not doing anything, xorg uses ~4%-6%, conky uses 1%-2% but the CPUs show at least 15%-20% (sometimes over 40%) load on each core! So there must be something going in in the background, which can not be shown by htop or conky :/
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 pm

The C1 has very little CPU power, I wouldn't be much worried, even if the CPU is constantly using 40% CPU.
What you can check is if compositing in MATE is active (should not) System -> Einstellungen -> Darstellung -> Fenster (System -> Preferences -> Look and Feel -> Windows)
Aside from that I'm not sure... I'm running out of ideas.. (I admit I rarely use the C1 with XU4 and N1 available at my leisure).

Trying reflashing is always an option. I know I have a running C1 image for testing and such and never had issues with it.. but I haven't touched that in years(?).
Means I haven't tried from a new C1 image in quite some time. If I find a free SD I'll see if I can find out how a "new" image reacts.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Alright, I'm gonna flash the image once more onto a third SD card. It will be another SanDisk Ultra, because I just have them around here. I'll try to make one test after another and also compare the behaviour before and after upgrading everything. Of course I still believe that the problem is somewhere here on my side (bad SD card, for example). But maybe I find a way to reproduce some issues to eventually trace down a problem.

Thank you and greetings!
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks for taking the time to track this issue down. That will be very helpful :)
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 am

meveric wrote:Thanks for taking the time to track this issue down. That will be very helpful :)

Thank YOU for taking the time :) .

I've now set up a new system with a new SD card (SanDisk Ultra 64GB). This time I formatted the SD card before flashing in ext4 and also checked it with f3probe. I've read somewhere that this is recommendable.
I've done the following things:
- configured some stuff with "setup-ogst"
- installed x11vnc and put it to autostart
- installed conky and put it to autostart

For now, it runs fine. glmark2-es2 gives me a score of 130 (which is more than 28). Idle load is between 0% and 10% per core, with peaks to 20% on a single core (note: I am using a remote desktop connection, which consumes some CPU power).
Now I will go on step by step and observe the systems behaviour after each step. After each step, I will update this post. To be honest, I don't expect anything special, because I think I've just had bad luck with my SD cards.
My next step will be to update/upgrade/dist-upgrade everything. After that, I will clean up the system by removing programs I don't use (clementine, libreoffice...) and apt-get autoremove/autoclean.

Greetings

EDIT 1:
- made update/upgrade/dist-upgrade
- reboot
- OK (kernel version is now 3.14.107)

EDIT 2:
- removed libreoffice-stuff and GIMP via synaptic
- installed d1x-rebirth-odroid, d2x-rebirth-odroid and rvgl-odroid
- reboot
- OK

EDIT 3:
- playing Descent 1/2 works
- playing ReVolt works since I have removed the "LIBGL_BATCH=1" in the rvgl_start
- playing SNES Roms works
- configured Kodi

EDIT 4:
I think I found the issue! I've tried setting the scaling governor to "ondemand". After that, the system became completely laggy as it has been when reported that issue.
Setting the governor back to "performance" gave me perfect results again.
So basically I have no problem with leaving the governor at "performance". But I carefully think, that there is a problem on the "ondemand" governor, since it scales up the CPU clock to max, but it just does not perform well. Sure, the lower the CPU clock, the higher the average load, because the CPU is longer busy for the same task. But as I described above, the CPU clock was at max, but I still got relatively high CPU load - for nothing.
I will trz to reproduce this on my previous system. Am am relatively confident, that I will have same results.

Greetings and thanks!
Jojo

Previous

Return to Projects