[OS] ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for C1

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for C1

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:03 am

can you try from a fresh installation again and see if it happens there as well?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby DroidWolf » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello!

I just wanted to say first and foremost thank you very much for all of your hard work. This is everything that I have been looking for. I do have a question though and it is probably a very simple one so I apologize for taking your time, but I am really new to linux and single board development so I hope you will go easy on me :P

Anyways, after much struggle wondering why my screen was completely black but I had audio when running games, I finally solved that issue by following along with this forum and updating my system. Now that everything appears to work just fine, I see that I am getting the message of Bios not found. I have a bios file from my PlayStation 1, 'scph1001.bin' and I was wondering where do I put it so that the PlayStation 1 emulator recognizes it and uses it? I have searched google for configuring bios files for retroarch and I have been unsuccessful at finding the proper location.

Thank you
DroidWolf

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:16 pm

most BIOS files should be placed in /home/odroid/ROMS/
Put your file there and the emulator should find it automatically :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:34 pm

Jojo wrote:... I am preparing a gaming device for our holiday trip to Denmark during New Years Eve :) .

Thank you for an awesome time in Denmark with a lot of retro gaming!
IMG_20170102_114643.jpg
(530.01 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C2

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:24 pm

yeah yeah.. dad's playing and the children have to watch :D
But it looks like a cozy place to do some retro gaming ;)
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 am

meveric wrote:yeah yeah.. dad's playing and the children have to watch :D

Thats not true, dude! She just does not like these kind of old games. She preferes Re-volt and Descent :twisted: !
Jojo

Unread postby Nickman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm installing the Gamestation Turbo onto my C1 (finally) as I am typing this message.
Really excited about all the features you managed to cram in there meveric, thanks a lot!

Any idea when the new release is happening for the C1 (trough the update process)?
Moonlight is something I was hoping to be added to this awesome image and now you managed to integrated it which is awesome!
Nickman

ODROIDs: ODROID-U2 ODROID-C1

Unread postby meveric » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:47 am

Nickman wrote:Any idea when the new release is happening for the C1 (trough the update process)?

Actually right now: viewtopic.php?p=184349#p184349
Nickman wrote:Moonlight is something I was hoping to be added to this awesome image and now you managed to integrated it which is awesome!

Moonlight already was and still is available through manual installation.
Just install moonlight-embedded if you use the starter from the menu you should already be good to go, although I'm not sure of the state of the C1 support, that one was always tricky to get to work and I might actually prepare some special update just for the C1 to get it to work properly.
Anyway I also have the Luna plugin available if you want to use it, point your Kodi to /usr/local/share/setup-ogst/Kodi/ and you'll find the Luna addon for Kodi in there. It's a separate program and needs to be started manually.

Please note, that I haven't tested moonlight on the C1 recently, as my last attempts were quite frustrating and I got fed up with it.
meveric

Unread postby Nickman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:54 am

So, I installed the latest C1 image and it booted up perfectly.
I then did the update instructions:
Code: Select all
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

I got several errors during the calls and had to restart the update proces about 4 times because some packages did not want to update or some other command needed to be executed to resolve an issue until finally no more errors were shown (trough SSH).
Log: http://pastebin.com/vzE24QMb
Before this pastebin I also did an apt-get update on the console itself before doing it remote. After rebooting, kodi still started but I saw some missing images in the ubuntu menu bar. Exiting Kodi also gave me a black screen, thats the reason I switched to SSH. I don't have a log of this update though.

After rebooting the C1, it does not boot into graphical mode anymore, I get this screen:
https://snag.gy/c7gGNR.jpg

Any suggestions or do I just start over?

I'm using a SanDisk 32GB microSD card
Nickman

Unread postby meveric » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:31 am

Ok, I've checked your pastebin... up to 304 that was an issues with installed packages unrelated to an updated.
All packages that had issues here python and libreoffice are part of Debian itself and has nothing to do with me or my work.
All updates until 1074 look fine, no issues here.
1330 until 1333
Here is something going wrong. It seems there's still an old version 15.2 of Kodi installed which conflicts with the addons for Kodi 16 which is not surprising.
Kodi 16 should have been installed before Kodi-addons to avoid this issue :(
I didn't know Kodi 15 was still in use somewhere, but I guess I can change the kodi-addons package to require Kodi 16.
But that was at least fixed on the second run in line 1551.
rest looks fine and I can't see any issues here.

I'm not quite sure what could be the issue, here, the boot log at the end actually looks "fine" except for the video issue at the end.

Let me try to update my version of C1 to see if I get issues as well.

Edit:
ok found the problem, that was actually my bad I had a typo in one command which resulted in an empty entry in /etc/fstab.
If you can edit that file on another Linux/Mac you need to change UUID= to UUID=6E35-5356.

If you can't edit the file, you probably have to start with a clean image again.. the issue is fixed by now, but it only works for new updates.
meveric

Unread postby Nickman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:49 am

I started from a clean image (as I could not access the file) and now it works!
Still had to restart 2 times to get everything trough but in the end everything seems to boot up just fine.
Gonna check out the emulators and moonlight soon to see if everything works smoothly.

Thanks for all the hard work Meveric!
Nickman

Unread postby Nickman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:45 am

So I've tried booting up moonlight and it seems to be going fine as it detects my PC and my game library (inside kodi with Luna or directly from the menu) but as soon as I want to launch steam I get a very short startup sound which stops after half a second and then nothing, the whole thing freezes.
When I look on my PC the gamestream seems to have started and the steam bigscreen mode is started but nothing on my TV.

Ive tried 1080p and 720p combinations with no difference.

Any suggestions on how to debug this or look for a solution Meveric?
Nickman

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 am

I haven't really tried moonlight on the C1. There are a lot of permissions that need to be set to make it work.
And last time I tried I spend several days to get it to work and it wasn't working correctly and I got very frustrated.
It SHOULD work though. I just never got around to check what is needed to get it work.

If I have a little more time I'll check on it again to find out how to get it to work.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi meveric,
could you somehow integrate the latest overclocking feature into your OGST image for the C1? You know there have been changes in february, IIRC. I think this could further improve gaming experiances on the C1. ATM, after update/upgrade/dist-upgrade, there is no possibility to change the max. CPU clock via boot.ini, as it works on the official image. Or did I miss something?

Greetings!

[edit]
oops, it was not february... anyway, here's the topic:
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=24764
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:04 pm

Since the Kernel is from end of March, but the CPU changes were already done in Nov. last year it's already included Kernel wise.

I checked the boot.ini and yes, I'm missing a couple of patches here. I'll look into it.
Not sure if I'm gonna update the Kernel though, the latest patches don't look very useful to me and amcapture was disabled, I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I know some where using the C1 for ambilight and it could be that they require this capture device. Therefore I just keep the Kernel the same for now.

Give me a little while to check on the boot.ini patches.. there were a couple of changes I need to integrate and test on OGST and Debian Jessie images.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:34 pm

meveric wrote:Since the Kernel is from end of March, but the CPU changes were already done in Nov. last year it's already included Kernel wise.

I checked the boot.ini and yes, I'm missing a couple of patches here. I'll look into it.
Not sure if I'm gonna update the Kernel though, the latest patches don't look very useful to me and amcapture was disabled, I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I know some where using the C1 for ambilight and it could be that they require this capture device. Therefore I just keep the Kernel the same for now.

Give me a little while to check on the boot.ini patches.. there were a couple of changes I need to integrate and test on OGST and Debian Jessie images.

Great, thanks! Take your time, no hurry :) . I am ready for testing as well!
Jojo

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Pushed an update that should take care of the changes of the boot.ini: viewtopic.php?p=198050#p198050
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:23 pm

meveric wrote:Pushed an update that should take care of the changes of the boot.ini: viewtopic.php?p=198050#p198050

That's great, thank you!
I will give it a try when I am back home and report back the results.

Greetings

[EDIT]
I just made a complete system update/upgrade and I can confirm, that the overclocking feature is available and working. Currently I am running my C1 OGST at 1,73 GHz stable under full load on all cores.
I didn't have time to make intensive tests regarding gaming performance, but I expect it to be slightly better.
[/EDIT]
Jojo

Unread postby Meeuuh9455 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi meveric,

I test your GameStation/ debian build for thé C1 : you made an awesome job..

I've just a problem with emulationstation (i know you're not a fan) but it always crash on all emulator exit.. i test n'est compil from github but same result. Do you have an Idea?

Regards
Meeuuh9455

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C1 (openelec), C2

Unread postby meveric » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:28 pm

What do you mean by it crashes?
That it get killed and starts all over again and does not go back to where you left?
Or does it crash with an error and you have to start it manually again?
meveric

Unread postby Meeuuh9455 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:40 pm

It crash when i exit a game with an error (msg font error on terminal) and i've to restart it.. (i dont use tour restant script for the moment)

I installed last year emulationstation on intel nuc (debian stretch) but i didn't have this problem.. the thing is emulation is better on Linux arm than Linux x86
Meeuuh9455

Unread postby meveric » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:56 pm

I rarely use EmulationStation, so I haven't seen that issue yet.
Have you updated the image with the latest packages via apt-get?
I'll try later to see if I can replicate the issue, still issues with C1 rarely can be fixed due to the different issues the C1 has it's very different to all other boards.
Still I see what I can find, or if I can replicate this issue at all.
meveric

Unread postby Meeuuh9455 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Yes, i've updated the image and compile an other version from github.
So i will try other web search with error code.
Regards
Meeuuh9455

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 am

just tested EmulationStation on my C1.
Worked without any issue. No crash. It hung a few times and got restarted by my script but aside from that everything is fine.
meveric

Unread postby Meeuuh9455 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:33 am

Thanks you for tour feedback.. the problem is about my config..

The error is the same as un this subject :
viewtopic.php?t=23549

"root/sources/Games/EmulationStation/es-core/src/resources/Font.cpp:536: void Font::renderTextCache(TextCache*): Assertion `*it->textureIdPtr != 0' failed."
Meeuuh9455

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:13 am

As far as I remember on the C2 thread this was the fbdev version of EmulationStation that was causing issues, due to the lack of proper X11 drivers at that time.
The C1 has X11 drivers and shouldn't have that issue.
But I made some changes on SDL2 recently, maybe that caused some issue, that's why I try again with the current version of SDL2...

.... time passes by ....

Yep it seems the new SDL2 version causes an issue here o_O
I'll try to compile EmulationStation against the new SDL2 2.0.5 and see what happens.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:09 am

Ok, I've uploaded a new version of EmulationStation (actually with quite some changes) and that should work fine with SDL 2.0.5.
viewtopic.php?p=198932#p198932
meveric

Unread postby Meeuuh9455 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you on behalf of debian and odroid.. :)

I will test this tonight.

edit :
i've now an other error on exit a game :
Lvl0: Error créatine SDL Windows
Could not create GLES Windows surface...

An Idea??
Meeuuh9455

Previous

Return to Projects