(C1+) SPDIF output on I2C Connector?

ManoShu
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: C1+ (plus VU7)
Been thanked: 0

(C1+) SPDIF output on I2C Connector?

Unread post by ManoShu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:10 pm

Hello,

I read this topic https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/hardw ... -_1x7_pins for using J7 conector to use SPDIF as output without a DAC board.

It is possible to the same on the C1+? Looking at C1 page https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c1/hardw ... -_1x7_pins it says on the table pin 2 is "I2S Data Input/2mA", but on the image it says "SPDIF_OUTPUT". Is there incorrect information on the wiki?

Also my intention is to just plug this output to the coaxial input on my receiver. Is this possible?

My C1+ board version is 0.4 20150615

Thanks in advance.

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Re: (C1+) SPDIF output on I2C Connector?

Unread post by joerg » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:14 pm

Hi ManoShu,
look here, I think one user made it, to connect directly to coax. viewtopic.php?f=139&t=21477#p167112
And this should be the same on the C1+. But I am not sure if this really worked. Would be fine if @benwillcox can confirm that it works.
These users thanked the author joerg for the post:
ManoShu (Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:35 am)

ManoShu
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: C1+ (plus VU7)
Been thanked: 0

Re: (C1+) SPDIF output on I2C Connector?

Unread post by ManoShu » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:43 am

joerg wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:14 pm
Hi ManoShu,
look here, I think one user made it, to connect directly to coax. viewtopic.php?f=139&t=21477#p167112
And this should be the same on the C1+. But I am not sure if this really worked. Would be fine if @benwillcox can confirm that it works.
Thanks for pointing to the thread.
I tested the pins and indeed it works, just connecting to the coaxial IN on the receiver I can hear the audio without problem.
However, when using the receiver tuner function, there's clearly interference from the coaxial, as unplugging it stops the signal interference. Probably related to uneven grounding between the Odroid and the receiver.
It's going to take a while, but I ordered one of those digital isolation transformers to see if it solves the problem, otherwise I will use the optical way (although it will be more expensive).

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”