bigears
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

[SOLVED] Terrible screen flicker with HDMI

Unread post by bigears » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi,

Just got my C1, loaded Android 1.3 and connected to my HDMI monitor with a mini to normal HDMI cable. When video appears I get constant screen flicker and I can just about make out the screen information. Android boots fine. I then connect it to the Samsung TV and the screen is perfect. This is with the same HDMI cable.

This might still be the hdmi cable but I tried 2 different cables and changed the power supply thinking it might be power. Still the same. The monitor handles other SBC (Pi, Cubieboard) via HDMi just fine.

Also tried the ubuntu image and still get screen flicker so it looks like a hardware problem but not sure what might cause this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

UPDATE:
The latest images with the HDMI fixes solved the flicker. Both below images work fine. Now the C1 is useable again

http://dn.odroid.com/S805/HDMI/ubuntu-1 ... DMI.img.xz
http://dn.odroid.com/S805/HDMI/selfinst ... DMI.img.xz
Last edited by bigears on Mon May 25, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Terrible screen flicker with HDMI

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:08 pm

bigears wrote:Hi,

Just got my C1, loaded Android 1.3 and connected to my HDMI monitor with a mini to normal HDMI cable. When video appears I get constant screen flicker and I can just about make out the screen information. Android boots fine. I then connect it to the Samsung TV and the screen is perfect. This is with the same HDMI cable.

This might still be the hdmi cable but I tried 2 different cables and changed the power supply thinking it might be power. Still the same. The monitor handles other SBC (Pi, Cubieboard) via HDMi just fine.

Also tried the ubuntu image and still get screen flicker so it looks like a hardware problem but not sure what might cause this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Since your C1 works with Samsung TV, it's little bit hard to say it's C1's H/W problem. What's the brand and model of your display flickering?

bigears

Unread post by bigears » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:33 pm

The monitor is an AOC 2434Pw.

bigears

Unread post by bigears » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:51 am

I connected a HDMI to VGA cable to the AOC and no screen flicker but a small size transparent box that is always on the screen.

Can the C1 refresh at 1920x1080 60hz? The monitor indicates Href : 60Hz and VRef: 67hz when set to auto.

I still think this is C1 H/W problem as I tested 8 different devices connected to the AOC HDMi and all is perfect.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 am

bigears wrote:I connected a HDMI to VGA cable to the AOC and no screen flicker but a small size transparent box that is always on the screen.

Can the C1 refresh at 1920x1080 60hz? The monitor indicates Href : 60Hz and VRef: 67hz when set to auto.

I still think this is C1 H/W problem as I tested 8 different devices connected to the AOC HDMi and all is perfect.
Do you use HK's official HDMI cable? If you look into the forum you will be able to fine some post similar problem, and most of them were fixed after replacing the cable. Since your C1 is perfect with Samsung TV, it wouldn't be H/W problem.

stefan85

Unread post by stefan85 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:45 am

Hi, hardkernel is aware of the problem. I started a similar thread here: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=8764

They are looking into it and they will post new measurements with specialized equipment very soon. We'll just have to wait.

Btw, it can't be fixed with another hdmi cable for most people. It possible is a hardware issue.

pcmgogo
ODROIDs: C2 C0

Re: [SOLVED] Terrible screen flicker with HDMI

Unread post by pcmgogo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:08 pm

You said SOLVED.
But I think not. I use same TV, same HDMI, same application with both Odroid C1 and C2. C2 is working properly but C1 not. Sometimes it is flickering. Randomly 2/10 times it is flickering.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: [SOLVED] Terrible screen flicker with HDMI

Unread post by odroid » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:59 am

Try "performance" CPU governor to fix the HDMI flickering issue.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/appl ... q_govornor

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”