Minimal Debian Wheezy/Jessie images

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: Minimal Debian Wheezy (read-only root and regular writab

Unread postby TomB » Sun May 17, 2015 12:38 am

tobetter wrote:By the way, what about if you replace UUID= to /dev/mmcblk0p2?

This fixes the boot, but doesn't that also mean it won't boot if the image is flashed to the eMMC? Why does this work, but not boot by UUID?
TomB

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1

Re: Minimal Debian Wheezy (read-only root and regular writab

Unread postby TomB » Sun May 17, 2015 12:39 am

kbs1 wrote:But it doesn't boot! Only blue light is flashing, means u-boot is running, but does not get registered on the network :( I don't have a good enough monitor to see the HDMI output :( Anyone here to help?:) Or, does anybody have the most recent image that actually boots?

Correction: it boots using root=/dev/mmcblk0p2! Thanks tobetter! :)

Edit2: what the hell, still no ssh :(
[kbs1@arch ~]$ ssh root@192.168.0.123
ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection reset by peer
[kbs1@arch ~]$

I'm working on the changes needed today. The SSH issue is because the init.d scripts don't run due to the switch to systemd. I hope to have some patches today or tomorrow.
TomB

Re: Minimal Debian Wheezy/Jessie images

Unread postby TomB » Sun May 17, 2015 4:34 am

I updated the scripts and now both jessie and wheezy can be built. I have not yet added support for the read-only root version.
TomB

Unread postby ryecoaaron » Sun May 17, 2015 8:05 am

In case you didn't know... by default, openssh on Jessie blocks logging into the system as root using a password.
ryecoaaron

ODROIDs: odroid-c1 x2, odroid-c2 x1, odroid-xu4 x3, cloudshell xu4

Unread postby kbs1 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:44 am

TomB wrote:I updated the scripts and now both jessie and wheezy can be built. I have not yet added support for the read-only root version.

Excellent, this is working really great, thanks a lot! :)) For anyone that is interested, newest jessie image is here! :) http://kbs-development.com/odroid-c1-de ... 633.img.gz Boots right away! ;-) SSH access and everyting works.
kbs1

languages_spoken: english, slovak, czech
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby TomB » Sun May 17, 2015 8:46 am

ryecoaaron wrote:In case you didn't know... by default, openssh on Jessie blocks logging into the system as root using a password.

Yep, that should work 8-)
TomB

Unread postby kbs1 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Do you have any pointers on how should I run / (rootfs) from USB disks RAID1? I've tried adding the following line to the 'postinstall' script:

# Generate the initial ramfs
printf "raid1\nmd_mod\next4\n" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
update-initramfs -c -t -k $KERNEL_VERSION

And it created a considerably larger SD card image (over 2GB, but the partition is just unused, base still has around 670MB), but after creating /dev/md0 and modifying /boot/boot.ini to have root=/dev/md0 the system does not boot anymore :(
kbs1

Unread postby TomB » Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 am

I have never done this, so I don't really know what is needed. So you're trying to boot from a usb raid1, not from the sd card?
TomB

Unread postby TomB » Mon May 18, 2015 12:46 pm

In case anyone has a need for it, I compiled packages for Freeswitch for Jessie. Debian does not have an official port to armhf.
TomB

Unread postby kbs1 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:34 am

TomB wrote:I have never done this, so I don't really know what is needed. So you're trying to boot from a usb raid1, not from the sd card?

Yes. I'm basically using this guide: http://blog.drewwithers.com/2013/11/ras ... ition.html

So the board boots from SD card (loads u-boot, kernel and initramfs), and then initramfs assembles md0 array at startup and uses it as a root partition for the entire system.

What I need to do is generate initrd with raid1 support bundled in. Therefore the system will be able to boot from the array. I shall study debootstrap further to fully understand the process, maybe required modules are not available at the time the image is being built. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
kbs1

Unread postby TomB » Tue May 19, 2015 12:24 pm

I think you will have to customize the kernel build to make sure the drivers you need get built and installed. debootstrap doesn't really care about these things. The initramfs is built after the initial debootstrap, and after the kernel/drivers are built and installed, so if you make sure you build and install the drivers then the initramfs should include them I think.
TomB

Unread postby ThunderBRZ » Tue May 19, 2015 1:31 pm

This img have a linux-headers??
ThunderBRZ

Unread postby TomB » Thu May 21, 2015 12:01 am

I have to look into it. I am guessing, no. If not, I'll have to figure out how to build such a package. Maybe this upcoming weekend :-)
TomB

Unread postby kbs1 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:54 pm

TomB wrote:I think you will have to customize the kernel build to make sure the drivers you need get built and installed. debootstrap doesn't really care about these things. The initramfs is built after the initial debootstrap, and after the kernel/drivers are built and installed, so if you make sure you build and install the drivers then the initramfs should include them I think.

I've just been playing with this.. looks like I have to set raid and MD stuff from "m" to "y" (compiled in). That shouldn't be a problem, but I came across this in common.mk:

Code: Select all
UBOOT_TOOLCHAIN := gcc-linaro-arm-none-eabi-4.8-2014.04_linux.tar.xz
UBOOT_TOOLCHAIN_URL := http://releases.linaro.org/14.04/components/toolchain/binaries/$(UBOOT_TOOLCHAIN)
UBOOT_TC_DIR := uboot_tc
UBOOT_TC_PATH := $(UBOOT_TC_DIR)/gcc-linaro-arm-none-eabi-4.8-2014.04_linux/bin
UBOOT_REPO := https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot.git
UBOOT_BRANCH := odroidc-v2011.03
UBOOT_SRC := u-boot

LINUX_TOOLCHAIN := gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.9-2014.09_linux.tar.xz
LINUX_TOOLCHAIN_URL := http://releases.linaro.org/14.09/components/toolchain/binaries/$(LINUX_TOOLCHAIN)
LINUX_TC_DIR := linux_tc
LINUX_TC_PATH := $(LINUX_TC_DIR)/bin
LINUX_TC_PREFIX := arm-linux-gnueabihf-
LINUX_REPO := https://github.com/hardkernel/linux.git
LINUX_BRANCH := odroidc-3.10.y
LINUX_SRC := linux

Are those really the latest versions? How can you tell? There seems to be newer versions thrown everywhere... this stuff with custom uboot and linux kernels is really confusing.

Anyway, when we have the distro running, how can we update the kernel, will simple apt-get update && apt-get upgrade do it, or do we have to do something else? I'm looking to have this running for many years from now (as a server), so I would like to update the kernel at some point :)

Thanks
kbs1

Unread postby TomB » Sun May 24, 2015 12:29 am

kbs1 wrote:
TomB wrote:Are those really the latest versions? How can you tell? There seems to be newer versions thrown everywhere... this stuff with custom uboot and linux kernels is really confusing.

I'm using the "official" toolchain, see http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... ing_u-boot and http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... ing_u-boot

kbs1 wrote:Anyway, when we have the distro running, how can we update the kernel, will simple apt-get update && apt-get upgrade do it, or do we have to do something else? I'm looking to have this running for many years from now (as a server), so I would like to update the kernel at some point :)

Well, /boot is read-only, so you'd have to change that (or remount as writable when needed). And I currently don't build a package for the kernel/uboot, because the idea was more to the tune of a mass-deployable "firmware" image. If you have patches that would enhance the scripts to package the kernel and uboot, I'd be more than happy to include them :)
TomB

Unread postby patricia » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 am

Can anyone confirm this image working on the Motorola Bionic lapdock? -
Thankyou.
patricia

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:10 am

Set the resolution to 1360x768 in the boot.ini file and it will work.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby patricia » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:13 pm

I appologize,
I know this is not the correct place to ask but I tried a couple
Setups and was unable to get any feedback on the screen.
Setenv m "1360x768p60hz"
Setenv m "1360x768p"
Setenv m "1360x768"

Just to be clear which of the 3 is correct?
I understand that he lid has to be fully opened and
I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad cable in relation to ground?
Is the HDMI only required for the screen (to rule out a bad USB ground?)
I know this is a lot of questions.
I have seen some posts regarding cec with the u2 does that apply to the c1?
Maybe I can force the lapdock to detect the signal?
Otherwise I'd really appreciate if someone could post a link or model # of a working HDMI?
patricia

Unread postby odroid » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 pm

Refer this link. It is worth to try the DVI mode instead of HDMI mode.
https://github.com/mdrjr/c1_bootini/blo ... r/boot.ini
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby kbs1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Well, after a long long research, I think I've found the source of most boot problems with this image. The answer is: uInitrd never runs!!

That's it. That's why root=UUID=.... currently never works "with jessie". It's not jessie itself, it's the fact that the initrd's init script is never executed.

This is also the cause the system is never able to boot from MD array as root, whereas "official ubuntu" is able, as I've stated in these topics:
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=13346
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13295

That's because MD arrays are always built in initramfs, which is not executed.

When I copy uImage, uInitrd and modules from a "MD-bootable" ubuntu installation, jessie boots up as well. Further evidence uInitrd on this image is never run:

* bootm 0x21000000 - 0x21800000 BOOTS THE SAME. As if the initrd isn't even there. Official uboot docs state that passing "-" as a second argument disables uInitrd.
* passing root=PARTUUID=... works. That's because the kernel can read partition table at boot time, and does not need initramfs to do the magic. [http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/93767/why-cant-i-specify-my-root-fs-with-a-uuid ]
* there are various size limits for initrd, or decompressing images using u-boot, and so on. u-boot cmd_bootm.c defines: #define CONFIG_SYS_BOOTM_LEN 0x800000 /* use 8MByte as default max gunzip size */
... we're hitting this with our uInitrd (around 19mb compressed, more than 45mb uncompressed)

Ubuntu "official" uImage is around the same size as ours (5,491,700), only few bytes different (vs 5,496,043 for debian. WHY? what is the difference? The kernel versions ARE the same, but ubuntu's have a "-94" suffix, hence 3.10.80-94 on ubuntu vs 3.10.80 on debian)
-> this size fits into our proposed (don't really know if this is applied or not!!) limit.

However initrd sizes:
20,133,223 for debian with md stuff
3,850,464 for ubuntu with md stuff ("md-bootable") [!!!]
The difference is HUGE! It's all in modules. Our image simply contains more modules.

I haven't tweaked it, and so far I don't want to. I want to find out if this "8MB" limit is real or not. It seems to me that our uInitrd is simply not fully loaded, or fails during decompression by u-boot (with something like cmd_bootm.c:432 puts ("GUNZIP: uncompress, out-of-mem or overwrite error "
"- must RESET board to recover\n");)

... but I currently DON'T have a serial console to verify this. I'm waiting for one.

In the mean time:
* setenv bootcmd "fatload mmc 0:1 0x21000000 uImage; fatload mmc 0:1 0x32000000 uInitrd; fatload mmc 0:1 0x22000000 meson8b_odroidc.dtb; bootm 0x21000000 0x32000000 0x22000000"
-> does not work. I've spaced out the addresses, in case kernel expands a lot, it still does not use uInitrd
* passing ramdisk_size=32768 or 65536 to kernel command line BEFORE the root= argument does not make any difference [http://www.denx.de/wiki/bin/view/DULG/HowToIncreaseSizeOfRamdisk ]

Related reading: support.criticallink.com/redmine/boards/45/topics/4162 , u-boot.10912.n7.nabble.com/quot-Problem-in-increasing-initrd-RAMDISK-size-quot-td470.html, lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2015-02/msg00002.html, linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/maximum-size-of-initrd-image-311238/ [mentions maximum file size exists], denx.de/wiki/bin/view/DULG/HowToIncreaseSizeOfRamdisk [mentions default 4mb limit]

There may be other size limits (hardware, software): lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2010-September/025711.html

Questions:
* does our kernel need to be compiled in a special way to 'make use of' initramfs?
-> linux/arch/arm/configs/odroidc_defconfig - # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set - doesn't this need to be set?
* if there is a size limit to uInitrd, what it is, and how to increase it?

THE ULTIMATE TEST:
* boot successfully with UUID of the *SD CARD* partition 2 (proof the uInitrd is used - find out using blkid from a running system). Forget all the MD stuff for now.

Going to try to debug further when serial to usb converter arrives, in the meantime answers and comments are greatly apprecitated.
kbs1

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Well, interesting find.. I had similar issues on my Debian Wheezy image for ODROID C1 the script hardkernel wrote and put in the initrd environment did not work for me, since the /sys/ paths and fbset were not available during boot time when the script tried to be executed and i had to put the script in /etc/rc.local to execute it to a later time... This is not really a fix either, since sometimes the X11 desktop is faster than the script and therefore the resolution does not change properly.

I was thinking of putting it in the /etc/init.d/ process finding the right time when to actually load it.

Concerning the buffers on boot time.. i had an issue with a Kernel module i wanted to load for WLAN 4 Module from HardKernel on my XU3.. It also used more as the default buffers presented by the system as a default..
I was able to change this:
setenv bootrootfs "console=tty1 console=ttySAC2,115200n8 root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 rootwait ro"

to
setenv bootrootfs "coherent_pool=2M console=tty1 console=ttySAC2,115200n8 root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 rootwait ro"

I think you should be able to do the same with any other buffer you want to increase.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby TomB » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:53 am

kbs1 wrote:Well, after a long long research, I think I've found the source of most boot problems with this image. The answer is: uInitrd never runs!!

That's it. That's why root=UUID=.... currently never works "with jessie". It's not jessie itself, it's the fact that the initrd's init script is never executed.

Thanks for figuring this out! I will try and fix the scripts soon.
TomB

Unread postby kbs1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:58 am

Thanks for the input meveric. I've already tried passing a ramdisk_size=65536 parameter to the kernel, which should control initial maximum ramdisk size, but it doesn't :( I'm now going to try to minimise the ramdisk as much as possible, see if that makes a difference :)
kbs1

Unread postby kbs1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:18 am

It DOES work! :)) I'm successfully booted from md0 right now on JESSIE. It's as simple as that. Initramfs was simply too big. But what's the limitation, really only 4MB? TomB: setting MODULES=dep instead of MODULES=most in initramfs.conf does it! I'm going to test the system using vanilla SD card and my step by step guide: viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13295

The only thing I've added to my update scripts (from within a running jessie odroid ! :)) is this line:
sed -i "s/MODULES=most/MODULES=dep/g" /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

scripts are attached. Feel free to use them if you want (makes updating the kernel and initramfs from running c1 as easy as on official ubuntu).
Attachments
update-kernel.sh
(1 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
update-initramfs.sh
(793 Bytes) Downloaded 114 times
kbs1

Unread postby kbs1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:58 am

It works like a dream. I've written a guide: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14327

Now in the meantime, we should figure out how to get rid of the supposed 4MB or 8MB initrd limit and why is it there in the first place.
kbs1

Unread postby gkkpch » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:21 am

Hi,

I'm not sure if hdmi audio works out of the "jessie image" box:

aplay -l
gives me
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AMLM8AUDIO [AML-M8AUDIO], device 1: SPDIF PCM dit-hifi-1 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

When I try
speaker-test -Ddefault:0
I get
speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default:0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

Then I add a usb audio device (like my Fiio E18)
aplay -l

gives
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AMLM8AUDIO [AML-M8AUDIO], device 1: SPDIF PCM dit-hifi-1 []
card 1: DACE18 [FiiO USB DAC-E18], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Tried with Fiio
speaker-test -Ddefault:1

outputs as expected
speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default:1
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 2048 to 16384
Period size range from 1024 to 1024
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
Time per period = 2.644357
 0 - Front Left
Time per period = 2.987653
 0 - Front Left
Time per period = 2.987715
 0 - Front Left
Time per period = 2.986685
 0 - Front Left

Any idea what might be wrong here?
gkkpch

languages_spoken: english, dutch, german
ODROIDs: Odroid-C1+, Odroid-C1+ HiFi shield, Odroid-C1, Odroid-X2

Unread postby TomB » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:39 pm

kbs1 wrote:TomB: setting MODULES=dep instead of MODULES=most in initramfs.conf does it!

I could not get this to work when I tried this. It seems that MODULES=dep would require a running system in order to discover what modules are needed.
TomB

Unread postby Pastafarianist » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:16 am

Has anyone succeeded running Docker on this image? I'm getting a weird error:

# docker run --rm hello-world
FATA[0000] Error response from daemon: Cannot start container 5cea2ab434d1b588295ee82b14b2ac351ed2a31f17504c6c5517e3d62cc8940f: [8] System error: operation not supported
Pastafarianist

languages_spoken: English, Русский, Français, Español

Unread postby TomB » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:21 am

Still haven't had any success with the initrd size limit :(
TomB

Unread postby XFer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to build a mini-Debian Wheezy image for my C1+, following Tom's guide:

https://github.com/tomuta/debian-mini-odroid-c1

I'm working on Ubuntu 14.01 (64bit system + 32-bit compat libs, as instructed).

I'm having this problem after "make DIST=wheezy IMAGE_MB=1024":

if test -f "sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp"; then rm "sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp" ; fi
./createimg sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp 32 992 boot rootfs u-boot/sd_fuse uInitrd ""
1020128+0 records in
1020128+0 records out
1044611072 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 4.2703 s, 245 MB/s
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
2 bytes (2 B) copied, 0.000160938 s, 12.4 kB/s
442+0 records in
442+0 records out
442 bytes (442 B) copied, 0.01646 s, 26.9 kB/s
63+0 records in
63+0 records out
32256 bytes (32 kB) copied, 0.00158844 s, 20.3 MB/s
460+1 records in
460+1 records out
235642 bytes (236 kB) copied, 0.0187877 s, 12.5 MB/s
Warning: sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp is not a block device
Disk sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp: cannot get geometry

Disk sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp: 127 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Old situation:
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot    Start       End   #sectors  Id  System
sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp1             0         -          0   0  Empty
sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp2             0         -          0   0  Empty
sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp3             0         -          0   0  Empty
sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp4             0         -          0   0  Empty
New situation:
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot    Start       End   #sectors  Id  System
sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp1   *      2048     80324      78277   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp2         80325   2040254    1959930  83  Linux
sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp3             0         -          0   0  Empty
sdcard-wheezy.img.tmp4             0         -          0   0  Empty
Successfully wrote the new partition table

Re-reading the partition table ...
BLKRRPART: Inappropriate ioctl for device

If you created or changed a DOS partition, /dev/foo7, say, then use dd(1)
to zero the first 512 bytes:  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo7 bs=512 count=1
(See fdisk(8).)
Error: /dev/loop1: unrecognised disk label
make[1]: *** [sdcard-wheezy.img] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fernando/src/ODroid-C1+/debian-mini-odroid-c1-master'
make: *** [build-rootfs] Error 2

What am I doing wrong? :?

Thanks!
XFer

languages_spoken: english, italian
ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby TomB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:54 am

Weird, do you get the same error every time?
TomB

Unread postby bluesman13 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 am

Hello,
HDMI output does not work: I have a black/blank screen.
Yet with the Ubuntu version, and exactly the same hardware, that works.
Can you help me ?
Thank you in advance.
PS:
- I use the last version that you provide (http://odroidc1.reactsoft.com/debian-minimal/)
- I connect the HDMI cable to a TV monitor : SAMSUNG LE32R73BD; the resolution of the screen is HD Ready 720p.
- I edit the boot.ini file to match the resolution.
bluesman13

languages_spoken: french, english
ODROIDs: odroid-c1

Unread postby XFer » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:00 am

TomB wrote:Weird, do you get the same error every time?

Yes Tom, every time.

I also tried different microSD cards (Sandisk and Trascend, all 100% genuine) no to avail.

Thanks for your support!

Fernando
XFer

languages_spoken: english, italian
ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby dantefff » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:27 pm

I have a new c1+ and I have a few questions over this image:
* Uses the same kernel as the official lubuntu image? (The real question is if this image has all hardware specific drivers that official ubuntu has)
* Is there any "easy" way of updating the kernel?
* Is it possible to install a desktop in It?

Thanks!
dantefff

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: c1+

Unread postby ivanhawkes » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:38 pm

First up, thank you to everyone who helped make these images. I've just received my first ODROID-C1+ (I have Raspberry Pi/2 + BeagleBone Black devices already) and fired it up using the Wheezy writeable image. It worked just fine straight up with SSH running so I could get started on installing some software.

Looks like it's time to go buy another SATA drive, something I can test on, and see how well this can work as a Git LFS server or similar.
ivanhawkes

ODROIDs: ODROID-C1+

Unread postby Simulatorhck » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:25 pm

TomB wrote:Here are the links for my fully automated minimal Debian Jessie/Wheezy images. You can use the exact same image on as many odroid-c1's on your lan as you wish, each of them gets a unique hostname (that includes the MAC address) assigned on first boot.

root password: odroid
system hostname: odroidc1-MACADDRESS

Regular (writable root file system) image:
Repository: https://github.com/tomuta/debian-mini-odroid-c1
Pre-built images: http://odroidc1.reactsoft.com/debian-minimal/

Read-only root file system image (nothing persists, not even log files!):
Repository: https://github.com/tomuta/debian-mini-ro-root-odroid-c1 (Does NOT yet support jessie!)
Pre-built images: http://odroidc1.reactsoft.com/debian-minimal-ro-root/ (Does NOT yet support jessie!)

05/16/2015
  • Added support for building Jessie images (specify using the DIST variable)
  • You can now specify the image size using the IMAGE_MB variable
04/08/2015
  • Enabled boot output on HDM during bootup
02/04/2015
  • Added ntpdate
01/25/2015:
  • Updated scripts so they don't fail to build the ramfs every time harkernel updates to a newer kernel version
  • Moved /var/lib/dhcp to /tmp

You may also be interested in: Freeswitch 1.4.18 (on Jessie)

I appreciate any feedback or patches!

I used it to make son e test for python scripta and its very good.
I d like to use it with asterisk and freepbx. I tryed to follow some guides eithout successo
The problemi seems to be that the installati in of apache and MySQL is not simple as guides rxplayns.
It s possibile to make a freepbx dietro starting frim this image? Can you help me?
Simulatorhck

Unread postby bolly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:54 pm

First off, I am very grateful for this project. Thank you!

Having installed the regular (rw) pre-built minimal jesse image, I wanted to add the odroid repos and get kernel updates going forward without needing to rebuild and reflash the entire image. The first difficulty was that /boot is mounted ro. I remounted it rw and tried again, but it failed thus:

Unpacking linux-image-3.10.80-131 (20151015) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-3.10.80-131_20151015_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of `./boot/meson8b_odroidc.dtb' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

The only related thing I found online was an old bug. Has anyone else gotten the kernel updates working with this image and the deb.odroid.in trusty repo? Is /boot normally supposed to be read only? Am I missing a step?

Cheers!
bolly

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:23 pm

some of the files under /boot are also part of the kernel package linux-image-{VERSION} and if you try to install them while they are already on the image (manually copied) it fails.
Remove the files that it's complaining about (delete them or rename them) and try again. After all conflicts are solved the Kernel should install normally.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby bolly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:53 pm

Huh. Thank you! I was thinking it was due to /boot's vfat file system not supporting links or some mess. That was much simpler.

In case someone follows after me with the same issue, I'll say that I also had to install u-boot-tools before the package could install successfully.
bolly

Unread postby TiJof » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:04 pm

bolly

Have you try to boot the new Kernel ?
The setup is good for me, but not the boot ...

Prerequite :
echo "deb http://deb.odroid.in/c1/ trusty main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/odroid.list
apt-get update
mount -o remount,rw /boot/
rm /boot/meson8b_odroidc.dtb

here is the setup (extract) :
Selecting previously unselected package u-boot-tools.
(Reading database ... 30420 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking u-boot-tools (from .../u-boot-tools_2014.10+dfsg1-5_armhf.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up linux-image-3.10.80-135 (20151128) ...
Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/copy_dtb 3.10.80-135 /boot/uImage-3.10.80-135
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.10.80-135 /boot/uImage-3.10.80-135
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.10.80-135
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/uImage 3.10.80-135 /boot/uImage-3.10.80-135
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/uInitrd 3.10.80-135 /boot/uImage-3.10.80-135
Setting up linux-image-c1 (135-1) ...
Setting up u-boot-tools (2014.10+dfsg1-5) ...

reboot, and ko ...
any idea ?

EDIT : it's ok with linux-image-3.10.75-84
maybe the last depot's version isn't good ... we'll test with others

EDIT 2 : That's it, the last version is broken :/
So, juste specify the version you want, it'll be ok !
echo "deb http://deb.odroid.in/c1/ trusty main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/odroid.list
apt-get update
mount -o remount,rw /boot/
rm /boot/meson8b_odroidc.dtb

apt-get install u-boot-tools linux-image-3.10.80-134 linux-headers-3.10.80-134 u-boot sudo
cd /usr/share/c1_uboot && sudo ./sd_fusing.sh /dev/mmcblk0
TiJof

Unread postby TomB » Tue May 03, 2016 12:16 am

I didn't have much time the last few months, but recently ordered a C2. I updated the scripts and you can now build images for the C2 as well :-) I still have to figure out the weird initramfs issue on jessie on the C1, though...
TomB

Unread postby pretty » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi there,

what do I have to do to get the touchscreen VU7+ to work right? If i do add a line
setenv m "1024x600p60hz"
and change the vout to dvi
then it doesn't set the correct resolution. What I am missing?
pretty

Unread postby odroid » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:32 am

Which os image did you flash?
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby pretty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:58 pm

I used the one out of this thread, because of the minimal design. I tried the official Ubuntu and DietPi both worked fine with the touchscreen. Only thing that isn't working the touch over micro usb with the c1+
pretty

Unread postby meveric » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:09 pm

apparently by the look of the first post, this image hasn't been updates since May 2015 (way over a year ago) long before the VU7+ was on the market.
If you need a Debian image without much installed, try my Debian Jessie image: viewtopic.php?f=114&t=17569 (it's like 4 posts above this one ;))
DietPi is based on that image.
meveric

Previous

Return to Other OS