[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby Tomax » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Using your OS on my C1+ I'm impressed of stability and smoothness of your Jessie Version. Great work!
But on the other side I'm really despaired to get not running my Polyvection PlainDAC. Am I right, that the DAC drivers are not implemented in kernel?
Following the tuts to integrate "snd-soc-pcm5102" and "snd-soc-odroid-dac" kernel modules didn't help me.

Can you give me some hints how I can get my DAC working with your OS? (I plan to use mopify as streaming client)
Is there any good tutorial you can advice?

Bye
Tom
Tomax

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby meveric » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:13 am

The Kernel should have everything that the official Kernel from HardKernel is having as well, so when it comes to that everything should be there.

I haven't done much with DAC yet, so I'm not sure.
Have you tried following the guide from HardKernel : http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... ifi_shield
(not sure if this is what you use)
I've seen there were some changes in the C1 Kernel lately. I'm gonna build a new Kernel. Maybe the modules were updated in the current version.

If that doesn't help, maybe we can figure out together how to get it to work :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby frengo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:04 am

Hi, I must to install Debian minimal on an Odroid C1+ to make a simple Open VPN Server and to use it with others Odroid C1+ so Open VPN clients.

The image to flash on the SD card referred to links in the first post of this thread is suitable for this purpose ? There are more recent images for this employ ?

Thank in advance.
frengo

languages_spoken: english, italian
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+

Unread postby meveric » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:06 am

This image should work fine for this.
OpenVPN is within the repos and should be easy to configure.
The image is like any other Debian based image, means you can update it through apt-get procedures. So no need to upload a new image all the time.
Just do a system upgrade and you have the newest versions of all packages installed available from Debian project.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby frengo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:43 am

I followed the procedure describet at first post of this thread, but

I can't see DE on my hdmi TV.
I can't see DE on my PC by Mozilla browser on his IP device's address.
I can't see DE on my PC by Putty shell.

I got to the point where I view the Putty screen to choose the DE but I can not put asterisks, then I send OK but nothing happens and I do not see the DE.

Where am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.....
frengo

languages_spoken: english, italian
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+

Unread postby meveric » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:26 pm

can you describe in more detail what you did and what options you chose?
I can probably try to reproduce it on my side and see what might be the issue.
meveric

Unread postby Tomax » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:03 pm

I've tested tested my DAC with volumio which results in working system sounds, so I suppose that my DAC connections to C1+ are working.

meveric wrote:The Kernel should have everything that the official Kernel from HardKernel is having as well, so when it comes to that everything should be there.

I couldn't hear system sound until booting the C1+ as I did using volumio.

meveric wrote:Have you tried following the guide from HardKernel : http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... ifi_shield
(not sure if this is what you use)

Yes I followed that guide and also tried to configure pulseaudio with no success.

meveric wrote:I've seen there were some changes in the C1 Kernel lately. I'm gonna build a new Kernel. Maybe the modules were updated in the current version.
If that doesn't help, maybe we can figure out together how to get it to work :)

If I can help to test the Kernel and get sound working, let's start ;-)
Tomax

Unread postby meveric » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Well new Kernel is uploaded, so if that's the issue it should be available now.
meveric

Unread postby Tomax » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Did you place the kernel into the image of your intial post?
Tomax

Unread postby meveric » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:54 am

nope, just in my repository. A simple system upgrade should be enough:

Code: Select all
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
meveric

Unread postby simbloke » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks for this!
It's a nice simple install and a perfect starting point for my Mopidy server.
simbloke

Unread postby Pienoet » Fri May 20, 2016 6:12 am

Hi meveric is it possible to overclock my C1+ with this image?
Pienoet

languages_spoken: english Dutch

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 20, 2016 2:20 pm

default is 1536 MHz, but you can clock it to 1632 or 1728 MHz as well, so yes overclocking is possible.
Check /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
in there you'll find infos about current and possible clock rates as well as governors.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Sat May 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Can anyone provide me a guide for a slim desktop interface for this distro? Assuming the one in the first post is "heavy"
itsmaxdd

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 21, 2016 10:28 pm

try installing lxde instead... just start tasksel and choose LXDE desktop (although MATE is far from "heavy") XFCE might work as well.
The rest of the steps on the first post must be done as well.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Mon May 23, 2016 4:36 am

Another question, since im trying different things i would like to make an image of my "pre-defined" status so i can revert it back and start again.
With WinDiskImager the img is 16Gb (as my SDCard) with fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0 and dd with count parameter the img is still 16Gb.
What can i do to decrease the size? Right now i have your im (updated, upgraded and dist-upgraded) and openvpn.

Here my status

Filesystem     1M-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2    14557M  510M    14044M   4% /
udev                 10M    0M       10M   0% /dev
tmpfs               190M   10M      181M   5% /run
tmpfs               475M    0M      475M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 5M    0M        5M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs               475M    0M      475M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1      129M   38M       92M  29% /boot

Thank you
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 23, 2016 7:51 am

I only know how to do it with dd, you won't be able to do it with WinDiskImager.
Steps involve reducing size of rootfs partition (for example with gparted) and then to create an image with dd.
I can go into more detail if you have trouble with it.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Mon May 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Yes please, I would love to.
It is frustrating to reflash the SDCard and then apt-get update && ... it always takes a lot. Moreover i have some basic conf that i have to copy paste with scp. So a pre-created image will spare me lots of time.
I would love to do it only by cmdline, since im running an headless server.

Moreover, by shrink the partition do you mean that the new SDCard will start from a shrinked partition as well?. If so i would like to avoid it since this will mean that i'll have to increase its allocated dimension every new flash. Is there a way to shrink it but obtain a fully occupied disk once flashed? I think so since ur image does so

Edit:
Is it normal that i cant type while connected in local through hdmi?
I get the autologin stuff but then no console is displayed (i get messages about hdmi output), i would expected something like root@odroid:
Is this distro controllable only through ssh?
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 23, 2016 11:22 pm

itsmaxdd wrote:Yes please, I would love to.
It is frustrating to reflash the SDCard and then apt-get update && ... it always takes a lot. Moreover i have some basic conf that i have to copy paste with scp. So a pre-created image will spare me lots of time.
I would love to do it only by cmdline, since im running an headless server.

I'll drop you a PM with the steps, but just so you know, you need another system to do so and can not create a backup while the system is running.
Or do you mean your "other" system is only a headless server? If so it's possible with command line as well, but a little bit more complicated.

itsmaxdd wrote:Moreover, by shrink the partition do you mean that the new SDCard will start from a shrinked partition as well?

Yes it will.
itsmaxdd wrote:If so i would like to avoid it since this will mean that i'll have to increase its allocated dimension every new flash.

There's no other way. If you backup a SD card that is 16GB in size without shrinking, the image is 16 GB in size.
If you shrink it, the image can be about 500 MB in size, but must be enlarged again. I do this on my image upon first boot with a script.
You would only have to reactivate the script or start it manually so it's done for you.
itsmaxdd wrote:Is there a way to shrink it but obtain a fully occupied disk once flashed? I think so since ur image does so

Nope it's not and I don't do that, I use a script to resize the image to the full size upon first boot.
If you think about it, else you would need an image for 8GB SD cards, 16GB 32GB 64GB. Makes no sense. It's easier to fill the partition upon the first boot.

itsmaxdd wrote:Edit:
Is it normal that i cant type while connected in local through hdmi?

This should work fine, but you might not see a blinking cursor due to some issues with the graphics drivers on the C1.
Have you tried switching to a different VT? (CTRL + ALT + F2)
itsmaxdd wrote:I get the autologin stuff but then no console is displayed (i get messages about hdmi output), i would expected something like root@odroid:

The image does not have an autologin but requires the input of username and password.
itsmaxdd wrote:Is this distro controllable only through ssh?

Nope, in fact it was designed to work locally at first and only to add SSH access later (default security policy of Debian Jessie), but due to the issues with the C1 and the console output, I changed the C1 image to allow SSH right from the start.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Tue May 24, 2016 2:47 am

I can virtualize linux on my windows so it is fine i guess.
I'll try more with the local console, ill report you back next week since im not at home.
Feel free to drop the script to enlarge it after the first boot as well :D
itsmaxdd

Unread postby Leebejeebee » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:22 am

forgive me if I sound stupid but when I plug it in on tv I can see it asks for username and password. .... I understood it to be a server image that I could just plugin headless on an ethernet connection then connect via ssh so just wondering if I need to enable auto login or add another user? at the moment i'm just getting a blinking blue light so not entirely sure its connected to network as pings to usual IPs dont work and not showing up in LAN Scan.
Leebejeebee

ODROIDs: Xu4 c1+

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:02 am

SSH should be activated by default.
An autologin is not necessary.
You can create a new user if you want, but it's not required.

The image has DHCP activated for network, so as long as there is a DHCP router in your network it should get an IP and by then is "pingable" or you can connect via SSH.
If you do not have a DHCP server (router) in your network you need to configure the network manually under /etc/network/interfaces.
meveric

Unread postby Leebejeebee » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:37 am

Thanks maverick for the quick reply. Forgot to mention I seen logins on a TV then switched to another station with Ethernet / USB hub setup so just seen blinking lights from there.

Ethernet from previous setup was ...xx168.0.18 so just thought it would be same. Can't seem to connect there. Tried a few others but no joy.

Do I need to login first before getting SSH or should it work on boot?
Leebejeebee

ODROIDs: Xu4 c1+

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:07 pm

it should work after boot. If you can you should try loggin in anyway and just check what IP the ODROID got ip addr show. Should be easier than trying to find out what's wrong with it.
meveric

Unread postby bristow » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks a lot meveric for this image, very impressive ! After my problem of network with Odrobian, i'm happy :)

I made a full upgrade (dist-upgrade) and everything works before my install of Jeedom.

Jeedom use Apache, and i have a big problem with it, you can see with these captures.

BEFORE TO USE BROWSER :

Sélection_003.png
Before
(96.1 KiB) Downloaded 1605 times

AFTER :

Sélection_002.png
After
(110.27 KiB) Downloaded 1605 times

So, i can't do nothing ! I do not have this problem before and we are about 3000 members to use Jeedom on Jessie, so, i think it's due to your image, but why ?

Do you need some logs ? what do you think about this problem ?

Thanks a lot and i hope you will have a solution :)
C1+ with Jeedom : Innovative Home Automation
C1 with Max2Play / SqueezeLite and JiveLite.
bristow

languages_spoken: English and French
ODROIDs: C1 and C1+

Unread postby meveric » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Did Jeedom work before? Or on any other OS you tried?
The Image here is a default Debian Jessie image so no alterations at all. Means if it's really an issue on the image, the issue is with Debian Jessie itself and the maintainer of Debian Jessie.

I'll look at Jeedom later what I can find out. You have to remember, that the C1 is a very "slow" device with low CPU speed and low RAM. Any of this can cause issue if the software is very demanding.
As you can see in the picture apache is using tons of CPU power, so it could be that what ever Jeedom does, causes a lot of CPU load.

Anyway I'll try it later to see what could cause this. You might want to check under /var/log/apache2/ to see what the apache logs says.. maybe there are some packages missing that cause issues, or you need to optimize PHP parameters or something.
meveric

Unread postby bristow » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:12 pm

I don't understand !

I restart again my C1+ and now my C1+ sleeps again, like before :roll: :) :lol:

Thanks for your reply (and again for your image), these are the mysteries of computers :)
bristow

Unread postby bristow » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:20 pm

One last question meveric, i used /dev/hidraw on Ubuntu for my mir:ror (viewtopic.php?f=115&t=8047)

Is it possible to use it ?
bristow

Unread postby meveric » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:40 am

That post is over a year old. And was said to be part of the Kernel.
Since I use the same Kernel (with additional modifications) it should be part of the Kernel of this image as well.
Have you checked if it's available?
Was it available on the Ubuntu image?
meveric

Unread postby bristow » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:47 am

It was available on Ubuntu image.
But, now, i can't see hidraw in /dev/
bristow

Unread postby meveric » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:00 am

that's very odd.. I just checked on my image and I can see /dev/hidraw0 and /dev/hidraw1
What Kernel are you running on? uname -a
Did you do a full system upgrade?
meveric

Unread postby bristow » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I'm so sorry meveric, maybe because i didn't have plug my mir:ror.

Everything works fine, so happy, thanks again !
bristow

Unread postby viper86it » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi Meveric,
I have a problem with Lirc, setup program doesn't start.
At the end of install process, setup programm should start but it doesn't appaer. If you try dpkg-reconfigure lirc the result is always the same.
Any idea?
viper86it

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby meveric » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:07 pm

The setup only exists on Ubuntu, not on Debian systems.
It's actually a clever postinst script that asks a some info upfront and can probably be reproduced by copying the necessary lines from the postinst script from Ubuntu.
Still the Debian version does not have this directly.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello meveric, how good currently is your kodi package in this distro on C1+? Is it usable? i don't understand if it is 16.1 or what
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:14 am

It's Kodi 16.1 and working fine.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:02 pm

meveric wrote:It's Kodi 16.1 and working fine.

Does it have 24p+HEVC(H265@8bit) as openelec distro?
I would like to stick with debian for versatility.
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:20 pm

Since I don't know what they did to get it to work I can't answer that question.
The Kernel is the one from HardKernel with some added options.
Kodi is from @Oversun's repository.
meveric

Unread postby pcholl » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:20 pm

This image will work without installing X11 and gpu drivers?
pcholl

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:55 pm

Yes, it comes without X11 and GPU drivers, and if you only want to use it as a server image it's ready to go.
Only if you want 3D graphics and Kodi and such you need these drivers.
meveric

Unread postby pretty » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:34 am

Hey,

after a little hassle I got the image to work with my sdcard :D. The other thing that, that the touchscreen only works over the back usb ports. It doesn't work with the micro usb adapter. I googled for an answer but didn't find one.

Thanks in advance for the help.
pretty

ODROIDs: c1+

Unread postby francisscott » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:09 am

Hi

Since last updates, I have a lot of segmentation faults : kodi, retroarch, hurrican, tuxkart, openarena, abiworld, emulationstation... I can't start these programs.

Thank for your help.
francisscott

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:17 am

try the following as root
rm `find /usr/lib -name libMali.so`
rm `find /usr/lib -name libUMP.so`
apt-get install --reinstall mali450-odroid libump-odroid

Restart the ODROID after that and try your programs again.
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:49 am

Thank, it works fine now.

I have an other question if you don't mind. Is it possible to use mess with odroid ? There is a version in the depositary, but it does not work.
francisscott

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:08 am

francisscott wrote:Is it possible to use mess with odroid ?

Yes and No, default mess won't work, but there's a libretro core for that. Although not officially supported on my images yet.
It's said to be merged into the mame libretro cores some time ago. You can try with http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/XU3/ ... ibretro.so but I guess it's a little bit different to configure then "normal" mess. Anyway I can't help you with it, since I never used MESS, which means you have to find out yourself how to configure it.

francisscott wrote:There is a version in the depositary, but it does not work.

The MESS in the repository from Debian is a general build and not for ODROIDs, these seldom work at all.
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:56 am

ok thank, I'll try.

After some researches, it seems that nobody has succeeded to make mame work with retroarch...
francisscott

Unread postby gseaman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:59 pm

I've tried to get crashoverride's c2play built on my c1+ with your image. It needs the newest kernel and device tree from the ubuntu image to compile. I was told to make a request for this packages to be updated. We also need a newer libass5 which I was able to get from Ubuntu.
gseaman

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:48 pm

new Kernel packages are now available.
meveric

Unread postby gseaman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Thank you!

Unfortunately, the new kernel did not work. The issue for c2play is being discussed here. Thanks again for your time.
gseaman

Unread postby lampoverde » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:09 am

Hello everyone, I'm using the distro of this page, and I am very well because it is customizable, or needs' of aid are a noob and I have to enable the display 3.2-inch touchscreen connected to the serial. I followed the lead of this page http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c1_lcdshield but I can not make the change permanent. you have a distro with already implemented this display? I need to make a remote timer.

thanks to all the help
lampoverde

languages_spoken: italian

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS