ODROBIAN Jessie for C1/C1+/C0

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

ODROBIAN Jessie for C1/C1+/C0

Unread postby XeoSal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:12 pm

Hello there,
I am very happy to be a part of this community and I really love my two odroids (C1 & XU4). It's been a really great learning experience to get to play with those little boards and I advanced to higher levels of experience during this journey in which I understood a lot about linux kernel functions and the OS as whole.

System-Monitor.png
(39.85 KiB) Downloaded 59971 times

I am gladly introducing my first contribution to the odroid community which is a Debian Jessie 8.3 image with Mate Desktop Environment all accelerated by Mali-X11 drivers and overclockable easily through simple commands, I've done a little tweaking to the image and such other optimizations to improve the overall performance, I think that it's now considerably faster than the official HK ubuntu image. :)

Special thanks to:
Great people must be credited.
  • @debian-developers
  • @mdrjr (Kernel, drivers, technical references, hosting ODROBIAN repository, etc)
  • @owersun (KODI 15/16 source code optimized for s805)
  • @ptitseb (GLshim 1.5 wrapper)
  • @meveric (Technical references)
  • @robroy (Community support)
  • @mad_ady (ODROID CPU Control utility)
  • @runnerway (Kernel patches & TV Headend Package)
Many other members that I've learnt from, and of course the whole HardKernel team.

Contributors/Supporters:
Anybody can join us on this list to show support.
  • @Raybuntu
  • @Panderine
You will be automatically included as soon as you start showing great feedback, suggestions or educational contributions.

Features
  • Lightweight Debian Jessie with Mate Desktop Environment hardware accelerated by Mali-X11 drivers.
  • We have our own repository integrated perfectly which means you will receive new kernels & other updates remotely.
  • Rootfs is officially debootstrapped from stable (Pure Debian 8.3) armhf branch and is not an upgrade from older distributions.
  • Logically increasing ODROID ram from 1GB up-to 2GB by making use of kernel zRAM module.
  • Fully Hardware accelerated Kodi (Isengard or Jarvis - FINAL) by OpenGLESv2 along with AMlogic VPU optimizations.
  • Great desktop browsing with Chromium Browser that has native EGL acceleration if you want.
  • Overclocking & underclocking in a range from 300MHz to 2.0GHz with simple commands and scripts to show current CPU clock and temperature.
  • No bloatware at all, only essential tools are installed as deb packages beside the original software.
  • You can choose to login directly into Kodi session from the login screen or to the X desktop otherwise.
Please note that we also have a server edition, currently Odrobian (Vanilla) image size is about (80MB) compressed with version 2.0 and similarly the rootfs partition size is 320MB which is awesome, so choose what suits you the best from download section below.

Available Packages
These are the most important packages available on ODROBIAN repository that I've compiled specifically for this distribution with the required ODROID C1/C1+ optimizations of course.

Kernel Image (linux-image-odrobian-s805) - Obviously default on both flavors
Kernel Headers (linux-headers-odrobian-s805) - Optional on both flavors
Advanced MATE Menu (advanced-mate-menu) - Default on MATE & optional on Vanilla
CEC 3.0 (libcec-odrobian) - Optional on both flavors
Chromium Browser (chromium-browser-odrobian) - Default on MATE & optional on Vanilla
KODI Jarvis (FINAL) for X11 (kodi-jarvis-odrobian) - Default on MATE & optional on Vanilla
KODI Jarvis (FINAL) for Fbdev (kodi-jarvis-fbdev) - Optional on both flavors
KODI Isengard (FINAL) for X11 (kodi-odrobian) - Optional on both flavors
KODI Isengard (FINAL) for Fbdev (kodi-odrobian-fbdev) - Optional on both flavors
KODI Jarvis PVR Addons (kodi-pvr-addons) - Optional on both flavors
TVheadend (tvheadend) - Optional on both flavors
Platform V1 (libplatform1) - It's a dependency of PVR & optional on both flavors
Platform V2 (libp8-platform2) - It's a dependency of CEC & optional on both flavors
Shairplay (libshairplay) - Optional on both flavors
FFmpeg (ffmpeg) - Optional on both flavors
GLshim Wrapper (glshim-lbs) - Default on MATE & optional on Vanilla
Pepper Flash (libflashplayer) - Optional on both flavors
Mali X11 Drivers (mali-x11) - Will replace Mali Fbdev, default on MATE & optional on Vanilla
Mali Fbdev Drivers (mali-fbdev) - Will replace Mali X11, optional on both flavors
Wiring Pi (wiringpi) - Optional on both flavors
Odrobian Platform (odrobian-platform-s805) - Default on both flavors to function perfectly
AMlogic Sound Libraries (aml-libs) - Default on MATE & optional on Vanilla
Boot Scripts for s805 (bootini) - Default on both flavors
U-Boot (u-boot) - Default on both flavors
Mali X Video (xserver-xorg-video-mali) - Default on both flavors
LIRC for ODROID (s805-lirc) - Optional on both flavors
EmulationStation for X11 (emulationstation-odrobian) - Optional on both flavors
EmulationStation for Fbdev (es2-fbdev) - Optional on both flavors
RetroArch for X11 (retroarch-odrobian) - Optional on both flavors
RetroArch for Fbdev (retroarch-fbdev) - Optional on both flavors
SDL2 for X11 (libsdl2-odrobian) - Optional on both flavors
SDL2 for Fbdev (libsdl2-odrobian-fbdev) - Optional on both flavors
XBOX Gamepad Userspace Driver (xboxdrv-odrobian) - Optional on both flavors

Code: Select all
odroid:$ sudo apt-get update
odroid:$ sudo apt-get install *

(*) = Any Package

You will also find MANY more, if you take a further look there at the packages listed in our main project thread.

Documentation
You can find everything you want to know about this distribution and how to configure it according to your own needs by exploring the documentation available on our repository, you should also read the ODROBIAN Project thread to learn more. Let me show you the head notes list to summarize what you should expect to see there:

• ODROID Chipset Reference
  • Getting Started
  • Advice & Tips
  • Updating Software & Kernel
  • Web Browser Experience
  • ODROID CPU Clocking
  • Multimedia & Kodi
  • Vanilla Section
  • ORGA Entertainment System
  • Stock Platform Material
  • Examples
  • Changelogs
I can create more documents based on your suggestions, while you can still contribute to this project by submitting a documentation article for ODROBIAN written by you.

Download for C1/C1+/C0
ODROBIAN Jessie is available in flavors that you can choose from:
  • Desktop (MATE)
  • Vanilla (PURE)
Just download your desired edition directly from our repository:
http://oph.mdrjr.net/odrobian/images/

ODROID C1/C1+/C0 (SOC) = "s805"
Attachments
ODROBIAN-Jessie-2.0.png
Last edited by XeoSal on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 188 times in total.
ODROBIAN Jessie (C1/C1+/C0) (C2) (XU3/XU4) | RetroGaming Arcade (C1/C1+/C0) (XU3/XU4) | Repository (Debian/Ubuntu) (HowTo?)
XeoSal

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2 & XU4

Re: [Release] Debian Jessie 8.2 (MATE) with KODI 16.0 Jarvis

Unread postby meveric » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:05 pm

What do you mean by:
XeoSal wrote:-Very light Debian OS (Jessie) 8.2 with Mate Desktop Environment hardware accelerated by mali GPU.

In what way is the desktop hardware accelerated? Or do you just mean, you have mali drivers installed?

XeoSal wrote:-No bloatware at all, only essential tools (Kodi, Gparted, Chromium, GLmark2-ES2 & FFmpeg) are installed beside the original software.

What are you using gparted for? I normally have no use for Gparted on ODROIDs, so i wonder why it's a default application on your image.
What are you doing with ffmpeg? Is ffplay working? In the past the C1 was unable to use ffplay at all.

Besides that, interesting image, I rather like Debian, so i can understand why you took Debian over Ubuntu ;)
I don't understand why you're using glshim for Chromium, but maybe the C1 drivers are really that bad, that it runs better with glshim rather than under native EGL (although you probably won't have WebGL and other features, which are only available through EGL).

How did you include HardKernel's script for changing the resolution? initrd? uInitrd? Another script at boot?
Are you using systemd or did you replace it with the old init system?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby stmicro » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Fantastic! I will install this OS on my C1+ soon.
Do you have any plan to make a similar image for XU4?
stmicro

languages_spoken: english, chinese
ODROIDs: 2 x C1+, 2 x C2
1 x XU-L, 2 x XU3-L, 3 x U3, 2 x U2, 9 x XU4

Unread postby XeoSal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm

meveric wrote:What do you mean by:
XeoSal wrote:-Very light Debian OS (Jessie) 8.2 with Mate Desktop Environment hardware accelerated by mali GPU.

In what way is the desktop hardware accelerated? Or do you just mean, you have mali drivers installed?

It's just that the Mali-X11 blobs are installed and working correctly out of the box with the DDX driver, I will edit on this text to make it clear for no confusions.

meveric wrote:What are you using gparted for? I normally have no use for Gparted on ODROIDs, so i wonder why it's a default application on your image.
What are you doing with ffmpeg? Is ffplay working? In the past the C1 was unable to use ffplay at all.

I personally use disk destroyer utility and fdisk for everything related to partitioning but I just thought that people would actually make use of this for HDDs and USB disks.

meveric wrote:Besides that, interesting image, I rather like Debian, so i can understand why you took Debian over Ubuntu ;)
I don't understand why you're using glshim for Chromium, but maybe the C1 drivers are really that bad, that it runs better with glshim rather than under native EGL (although you probably won't have WebGL and other features, which are only available through EGL).

I find cursor flickering in web browsing really annoying and that chromium is more stable this way, I also monitored RAM usage when using the native EGL in comparison to the GLshim and I found that it eats more ram.

meveric wrote:How did you include HardKernel's script for changing the resolution? initrd? uInitrd? Another script at boot?
Are you using systemd or did you replace it with the old init system?

The resolution for HardKernel's script is done by an ulnitrd image and yeah this is working through systemd and it boots really fast.
ODROBIAN Jessie (C1/C1+/C0) (C2) (XU3/XU4) | RetroGaming Arcade (C1/C1+/C0) (XU3/XU4) | Repository (Debian/Ubuntu) (HowTo?)
XeoSal

Unread postby Tuigje » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:59 am

Interesting!

What exact version of armsoc, kernel and mali versions are you using?
I haven't seem to have found a perfect combination yet.
Tuigje

languages_spoken: english dutch german
ODROIDs: Odroid X2

Unread postby Pienoet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:08 am

Nice Work!

Couple questions, is hdmi CEC fully supprted and the pvr addons are working to?
And is this this possible to install on emmc or sd card only?
Pienoet

languages_spoken: english Dutch

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:42 am

Tuigje wrote:Interesting!

There is no armsoc for C1 :)
And the Kernel and Mali driver are the same from HardKernel others wouldn't work anyway :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby sert00 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:37 am

Oh wow!so good find a premade image of debian,i really like it,both with mate!
will try it for sure!
is it good to install it both on eMMC and micro sdcard?
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....
sert00

languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread postby XeoSal » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:41 pm

stmicro wrote:Fantastic! I will install this OS on my C1+ soon.

I will try soon =)

sert00 wrote:Oh wow!so good find a premade image of debian,i really like it,both with mate!
will try it for sure!
is it good to install it both on eMMC and micro sdcard?

Any image will work on both..

Pienoet wrote:Nice Work!

Couple questions, is hdmi CEC fully supprted and the pvr addons are working to?
And is this this possible to install on emmc or sd card only?

Kodi is actually compiled with CEC but I haven't installed libCEC libraries on the released image, I can't check because I have no CEC monitors just copy the libCEC.so and CEC-client from official ubuntu image (I will provide deb packages for this soon) then report back. If there is an issue I guess I can solve it but unfortunately as I told you I wouldn't be able to test my solution.
For PVR add-ons I haven't check yet, please report back the image is up already, eMMC or SD you will be able to install it on any of the both. :)

Tuigje wrote:Interesting!

Yes as meveric said there is no armsoc driver for C1, other drivers were compiled on debian jessie similar image and the kernel is a little bit customized.
Kernel: 3.10.80
Mali: r5p0 with vsync
XeoSal

Unread postby tayyab » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:46 am

Hi i tested your image its very responsive and light weight.
but i am having problem playing x265 videos in kodi
tayyab

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1 C1+

Unread postby XeoSal » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:06 am

tayyab wrote:Hi i tested your image its very responsive and light weight.
but i am having problem playing x265 videos in kodi

I will surely look into this, if Kodi has to be compiled again with x265 support I will be releasing an update for it as a deb package =)
For now I will be gathering feedback here and there then I will release a new version of this image with all the fixes. :D

BTW, please play X265 video then give me a copy of the kodi log file at /home/odroid/.kodi/tmp/kodi.log and if you receive a crash log then consider giving the file inside your home directory as it will be named as kodi crash log.

Edit: just checked this out, it actually can play h.265 files as I tested a MKV file but unfortunately not accelerated, I will surely do an upgrade to the Kodi package to support it :)
XeoSal

Unread postby abayoumy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:48 pm

good work
any news about xu image?
abayoumy

ODROIDs: U2 , C1 & XU3 Lite

Unread postby albsat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Fantastic news. Can I make a request pls?

Can you add Sopcast (with Gui) and Acestream engine as standalone app (or provice deb packages) to your rom ?

Thanks
albsat

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby XeoSal » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:25 am

abayoumy wrote:good work
any news about xu image?

Right now I am focusing on utilizing this image for the C1.

albsat wrote:Fantastic news. Can I make a request pls?

Can you add Sopcast (with Gui) and Acestream engine as standalone app (or provice deb packages) to your rom ?

Thanks

No support for closed source software, I am sorry man..
XeoSal

Unread postby albsat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:14 am

Ok, my last question, a bit lame.

How do you compare the speed of this rom with android version ? Which one is faster?

P.s. I am a bit confused to replace android on my c1
albsat

Unread postby sam-williams » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:39 am

Thanks for all the good work! I am truly looking forward to using your new Jessie image. Having said that though, I appear to be having a problem. I have now flashed my sd card and tried to boot it 3 times on a new Odroid-C1+. Each time I try to boot the image it ultimate stops at the exact same point and I receive the following bootup messages:

systemd-udev[112]: starting version 204
tvmode set to 1080p

don't set the same mode as current
tvmode set to 1080p

emmc: mmc_reason_try_freq: trying to init card at 300000Hz
aml_emmc_hw_reset 1379

The part at the end regarding an emmc device is a little troubling since I don't one installed. It almost makes me think there is something wrong with this C1+. Does anyone have any thoughts on why I'm getting these messages and what I might do to get around them and achieve a successful boot? Any hints would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
sam-williams

ODROIDs: c1, c1+, Xu4

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:51 am

the first two messages about the tvmode and same mode as current are normal.
The changing of the resolution is just a dirty hack anyway, so that's nothing to worry about.

The emmc thing could be what @XeoSal stated in his original post, that the image always uses UHS-1 mode and your SD card might not be supported.
Try disabling it by uncommenting "setnev disable-uhs" in the boot.ini.
meveric

Unread postby XeoSal » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:21 am

Hello guys, here is my news:
The next version of this distro will be called Odrobian 1.0 with the following to do list:
-Even more performance optimizations in Kodi (recompiled with better flags for extra compatibility).
-Fixing CEC implementation (I've already solved kodi but I can't test yet so I will need feedback).
-HEVC video decoding in Kodi (I looked into this and I think the issue it's related to the new version of jarvis and I may downgrade Kodi to 15.2 if necessary)
-More optimizations, Suggestions?

I am looking for feedback and help in fixing everything for the C1 even suggestions will help to get Debian Jessie working perfectly.

sam-williams wrote:Thanks for all the good work! I am truly looking forward to using your new Jessie image. Having said that though, I appear to be having a problem. I have now flashed my sd card and tried to boot it 3 times on a new Odroid-C1+. Each time I try to boot the image it ultimate stops at the exact same point and I receive the following bootup messages:

systemd-udev[112]: starting version 204
tvmode set to 1080p

tvmode set to 1080p

aml_emmc_hw_reset 1379

The part at the end regarding an emmc device is a little troubling since I don't one installed. It almost makes me think there is something wrong with this C1+. Does anyone have any thoughts on why I'm getting these messages and what I might do to get around them and achieve a successful boot? Any hints would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

meveric wrote:the first two messages about the tvmode and same mode as current are normal.
The changing of the resolution is just a dirty hack anyway, so that's nothing to worry about.

The emmc thing could be what @XeoSal stated in his original post, that the image always uses UHS-1 mode and your SD card might not be supported.
Try disabling it by uncommenting "setnev disable-uhs" in the boot.ini.

I guess that I would have to improve my note to remove the UHS option from boot.ini file as well in case of using eMMC.
Last edited by XeoSal on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
XeoSal

Unread postby sam-williams » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:07 am

Thanks for the replies. I neglected to mention that I have tried to boot with the boot.ini command

setenv disableuhs "disableuhs"

commented and uncommented and I get the same error and pause in the boot sequence. The failure is the same with either of them.

Thanks
sam-williams

Unread postby XeoSal » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:05 am

sam-williams wrote:Thanks for the replies. I neglected to mention that I have tried to boot with the boot.ini command

setenv disableuhs "disableuhs"

commented and uncommented and I get the same error and pause in the boot sequence. The failure is the same with either of them.

Thanks

You got me curious here so I grabbed an eMMC 5.0 module out of my XU4 then flashed this image right into it. I found out that it boots perfectly even without making any modifications to the bootini regarding the UHS option (won't affect eMMC users at all). So, I would say that you are flashing it incorrectly, please tell me exactly how did you attempt to flash the image? :)
XeoSal

Unread postby sam-williams » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:55 am

Thanks for the reply. Actually I'm flashing it correctly and as I indicated originally this is for a micro sd card and NOT an emmc device. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, particularly since you went to the extra trouble of reflashing your emmc device. Is there any reason this image won't work on a microsd card correct?

Nevertheless, this is why I'm concerned that the C1+ might have an issue since it is generating the following message when it hangs even though I don't have an emmc device installed. Also again I have commented and uncommented the "setenv disableUHS" line and it doesn't go beyond this error:

aml_emmc_hw_reset 1379

Thank again and sorry for the inconvenience!
sam-williams

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:06 am

SD and eMMC will both be announced as emmc so don't let that confuse you.
Still the errors is something HardKernel should take a look at.. they might know what it means..
meveric

Unread postby XeoSal » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:20 am

sam-williams wrote:Thanks for the reply. Actually I'm flashing it correctly and as I indicated originally this is for a micro sd card and NOT an emmc device. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, particularly since you went to the extra trouble of reflashing your emmc device. Is there any reason this image won't work on a microsd card correct?

Nevertheless, this is why I'm concerned that the C1+ might have an issue since it is generating the following message when it hangs even though I don't have an emmc device installed. Also again I have commented and uncommented the "setenv disableUHS" line and it doesn't go beyond this error:

aml_emmc_hw_reset 1379

Thank again and sorry for the inconvenience!

meveric wrote:SD and eMMC will both be announced as emmc so don't let that confuse you.
Still the errors is something HardKernel should take a look at.. they might know what it means..

Oh I really got confused there sorry guys, well please give information about your SD card brand and size just in case, there is no reason this image will not work on a compatible SD card (I got 3 brands different sizes all work perfectly with this image: Samsung PRO 32GB, x2 SandDisk Ultra 16GB and Toshiba 8GB) also make sure you are flashing it on a minimum 4GB of flash storage.

Note: I am aware that C1+ should have better compatibility with various SD card brands, and btw, rootfs partition size is 2.4GB.
XeoSal

Unread postby docteurcpu » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:16 pm

great news , i trying now !!!

thanks for the post ;)
docteurcpu

languages_spoken: english & French (Belgian)
ODROIDs: Odroid C1

Unread postby petevine » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:40 am

I tried the overclocking options to see if I can push my own system further, looks promising! (you should definitely add gkrellm for serious monitoring) (EDIT: nope, 1.8 GHz is not entirely stable after all)

BTW, I don't know if anybody's tried this - I was able to flash and reflash (after rebooting of course) the card back to my own image without ever taking the card out. ('Alt + SysRq + u' and then dd'ing directly to /dev/mmcblk0 works like a charm) :)
Last edited by petevine on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
petevine

ODROIDs: C1, MXQ PRO+

Unread postby XeoSal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:03 am

After weeks of testing and evaluating my beta image I've decided to make a new release again as Odrobian 1.0 (stable) and I am going to upload it today, here is the change log:

Odrobian 1.0 (stable)
-Kodi is downgraded to 15.2 isengard and recompiled again with better optimizations and support (see below for details).
(but still non of its issues in the official ubuntu image are existent)
-Hardware accelerated HEVC (x265) decoding in kodi is fixed.
-MPEG4 SD videos are now hardware decoded as well (was disabled by default in kodi main source).
-USB auto-mount permissions are corrected.
-USB storage devices are now mounted correctly with their partition labels at this path (/media/USER-NAME/*).
-Integrated CEC 3.0 client (fixing kodi as well) and libraries out of the box as a deb package.
-Removed FFmpeg as I marked it unnecessary for more disk space.
-Many other minor optimizations and fixes.

Thanks to @owersun, I've used his source for kodi 15.2 then made some changes and compiled it.
I will also be working on a new odrobian 1.0 image for the odroid XU4 using the same rootfs of this image but only recompiled Kodi, have fun guys. :)
XeoSal

Unread postby Pienoet » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:01 am

Thanks hope you will soon this release for XU4.

Can't wait! :)

XeoSal wrote:I will also be working on a new odrobian 1.0 image for the odroid XU4 using the same rootfs of this image but only recompiled Kodi, have fun guys. :)
Pienoet

languages_spoken: english Dutch

Re: (Odrobian) Debian Jessie 8.2 MATE with KODI

Unread postby shepo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:06 am

anyone tried an emulators on this OS
shepo

ODROIDs: Odroid-XU4, Odroid-C2

Unread postby XeoSal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:40 pm

stmicro wrote:Fantastic! I will install this OS on my C1+ soon.

abayoumy wrote:good work
any news about xu image?

Pienoet wrote:Thanks hope you will soon this release for XU4.

Can't wait! :)

I've just built Odrobian for XU4 with the same rootfs of this image, everything is working fine (armsoc, mali r5p0, latest kernel 3.10.82-57) and 3rd acceleration is perfect, now I will build Kodi as deb package then I will release it.

OS.png
(37.87 KiB) Downloaded 74340 times

CPU.png
(39.75 KiB) Downloaded 74340 times
XeoSal

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:54 pm

XeoSal wrote:I've just built Odrobian for XU4 with the same rootfs of this image, everything is working fine (armsoc, mali r5p0, latest kernel 3.10.82-57)

XU4 Kernel uses r5p1 drivers.. Make sure you have the correct drivers installed.
meveric

Re: (Odrobian) Debian Jessie 8.2 MATE with KODI for C1/C1+

Unread postby bodgy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks, this looks very nice.
bodgy

languages_spoken: english norwegian bokmal
ODROIDs: XU4,XU3,C2,C1, W

Unread postby XeoSal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:57 pm

meveric wrote:XU4 Kernel uses r5p1 drivers.. Make sure you have the correct drivers installed.

Yeah, I am using the binaries given for XU3 from ARM developer website: http://malideveloper.arm.com/resources/drivers/arm-mali-midgard-gpu-user-space-drivers/
Got chromium 3rd acceleration and tested a bunch of WebGL tests and it's working as expected, also I've built Kodi 14.2 (with MFC codec) helix from owersun git and they are both running through OpenGLESv3 without any problems. The image is ready and it's very light, rootfs size is 2.14GB with 3 deb packages installed beside the original software (Kodi, libshairplay and 5422-platform) I will upload now then I will create a new thread in the XU3/XU4 forum. :)
XeoSal

Unread postby memeka » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 pm

ARM developer has r5p0
on mdrjr github, you have r5p1 - newer and better support for odroid

edit: also r6p0 is available, but you need updated kernel.
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby odroid » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm

It is worth to try r6p0 because it supports the OpenGL ES 3.1 too.
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby XeoSal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:59 pm

memeka wrote:ARM developer has r5p0
on mdrjr github, you have r5p1 - newer and better support for odroid

edit: also r6p0 is available, but you need updated kernel.

odroid wrote:It is worth to try r6p0 because it supports the OpenGL ES 3.1 too.

Okay guys, you got me interested here, I will delay the release of the image just to integrate Mali-r6p0 drivers, I will start on building the new custom kernel. :)

Edit: Wait, does the driver (and kernel patches) work for Mali-X11 blobs? Because it states there this "only fbdev/directfb mode, no X11, no Wayland" or am I missing something?

Edit2: I decided to release it with mdrjr r5p1 drivers, they are giving much better overall performance after testing, I will certainly integrate the new r6p0 features in a next release, and about my questioning for the X11 support never mind i've figured out that it will work with x11 binaries excluding vsync features.
XeoSal

Unread postby memeka » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:56 pm

for r6p0, you need to get the kernel from my repo, the libs from mali developer and thats it.
x11 will work apparently, i think the x11 mali libs were added later.
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby XeoSal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:17 pm

memeka wrote:for r6p0, you need to get the kernel from my repo, the libs from mali developer and thats it.

Very well, I will mark the first release as Odrobian Beta anyways, I will use your repo, I guess I will have to change one kernel entry regarding to @crashoverride for systemd compatibility "CONFIG_FHANDLE=y" :roll:
XeoSal

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:25 pm

XeoSal wrote:
memeka wrote:for r6p0, you need to get the kernel from my repo, the libs from mali developer and thats it.

Very well, I will mark the first release as Odrobian Beta anyways, I will use your repo, I guess I will have to change one kernel entry regarding to @crashoverride for systemd compatibility "CONFIG_FHANDLE=y" :roll:

Yep, i activated the CONFIG_FHANDLE=y half a year ago in my Kernels as well since it's missing in the Kernels from HardKernel and required for newer udev versions :)
@memeka the r6p0 x11 drivers came out the same time as the fbdev drivers.. they simply miss the vsync (and dma-buf?) changes made for the fbdev drivers. Everything else was already included in the x11 binaries, and haven't been changed since. I noticed that have some extra GL functions activated. So that alone might be good to have :)
meveric

Unread postby XeoSal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:39 pm

meveric wrote:Yep, i activated the CONFIG_FHANDLE=y half a year ago in my Kernels as well since it's missing in the Kernels from HardKernel and required for newer udev versions :)
@memeka the r6p0 x11 drivers came out the same time as the fbdev drivers.. they simply miss the vsync (and dma-buf?) changes made for the fbdev drivers. Everything else was already included in the x11 binaries, and haven't been changed since. I noticed that have some extra GL functions activated. So that alone might be good to have :)

I see, here we go, thank you very much memeka (I will surely give credit) for the shortcut now I am running my image with r6p0 mali-x11 drivers solid and smoothly. Btw, I've tested kodi video playback as well it's very smooth, everything is going as expected, I will upload shortly. :D

Edit: Ahhh! Btw, thank you for bringing back the lovely Linux penguin again, much appreciated :o
XeoSal

Unread postby Schnapper79 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:14 am

Hi... I'm looking really forward for the XU4 image...

I wonder how you assemble your image? Which is original Debian stuff (debootstrap?) and what is customized and what are your sources?

I need a scriptable way to generate a Debian Jessie image WITH the mali drivers and chromium...

Maybe you can give me some hints... Before my xu4 i Bad the odoo board. Theres a project called armbian which generates images for several boards (but no ordroid)... Maybe finally i can mix both ways together and add ordroid to armbian??
Schnapper79

ODROIDs: xu4

Unread postby XeoSal » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:53 am

Schnapper79 wrote:Hi... I'm looking really forward for the XU4 image...

I wonder how you assemble your image? Which is original Debian stuff (debootstrap?) and what is customized and what are your sources?

I need a scriptable way to generate a Debian Jessie image WITH the mali drivers and chromium...

Maybe you can give me some hints... Before my xu4 i Bad the odoo board. Theres a project called armbian which generates images for several boards (but no ordroid)... Maybe finally i can mix both ways together and add ordroid to armbian??

I use debootstrap and btw there is nothing such as a magic script, you will always have to start with a rootfs and barely a pre-build bootloader, compiling all other drivers and software like KODI for the environment is your job.
The image is now getting uploaded. ;)

Edit: Here is the XU3/XU4 Odrobian image thread, the link will be there within 2 hours at most.
Last edited by XeoSal on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
XeoSal

Unread postby Schnapper79 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:29 am

Maybe you can give me some more Details? Maybe as pm. Finally i want to make my own image... Would be very appreciated
Schnapper79

ODROIDs: xu4

Unread postby petevine » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 am

Back to the C1 image - did you strip the kernel modules in the latter version? (about 300MB was being wasted in the original)
petevine

Unread postby XeoSal » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:01 am

petevine wrote:Back to the C1 image - did you strip the kernel modules in the latter version? (about 300MB was being wasted in the original)

Removed unnecessary packages and cache files. :)
XeoSal

Unread postby petevine » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:35 am

XeoSal wrote:Removed unnecessary packages and cache files. :)

I'll take it as a yes even though I was referring to the /lib/modules/3.10.80 directory specifically.
petevine

Unread postby jit » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Do you know if package from MEveric repo (http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/repository/) should work ?

I'm just asking because I'm building a custom portable gaming system with an odroid c1, and merging this lightweight image tohether with already compiled / optimized emulators and games could be very interesting (for now I'm trying to build everything myself under archlinux)
jit

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: odroid-w, 1x C0, 1x C1, 2x C1+, 1x C2, 1x XU4

Unread postby XeoSal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:34 am

jit wrote:Do you know if package from MEveric repo (http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/repository/) should work ?

I'm just asking because I'm building a custom portable gaming system with an odroid c1, and merging this lightweight image tohether with already compiled / optimized emulators and games could be very interesting (for now I'm trying to build everything myself under archlinux)

I don't know exactly but you may wait for him to answer you specifically however, any package compiled for @meveric's GameStation jessie image will work on this, just do not forget that you may need to install dependency packages by apt-get command if necessary.
XeoSal

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:32 pm

If you use my repository lists and download and install packages for Debian Jessie, they should work fine (except for some that don't work cause of C1 related issues, such as slow CPU, broken Alpha channel, etc.).

There's also a Debian Wheezy image from me, already including the emulators you want for a gaming platform and in a little while i gonna publish the C1 image based on my Debian Jessie builds as well.
meveric

Unread postby albsat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:14 am

Can someone please compile Sopcast deb packages? Sopcast is really good for streaming.

Here is a link to a tutorial but it is not for arm. Any help please? Thanks
albsat

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:15 am

just tried.. won't work.. it relies on something called sp-auth which is a binary package for x86 system.. since there is no source code for it, it can't be compiled for ARM.

And even if.. it uses VLC as a backend, which has no hardware acceleration, means you are stucked with low quality videos only... better use Kodi it has tons of streaming channels.
meveric

Next

Return to Other OS