[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:25 am

well it seems pulseaudio is not running by default as the ps aux doesn't show it.
The aplay output looks fine though.
If you have sound issues with pulseaudio, can you try installing backports of pulseaudio, maybe that's a quicky way to fix it:
Code: Select all
apt-get install -t jessie-backports pulseaudio
and try again with that.
At least you know it's working with pulse :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby Georgetina » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:41 am

hi. I am using Debian Jessie on a C1+. I have installed Wine to enable me to try .exe programs. When I try to configure wine I get a blank black window. Can you please help
Georgetina

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:53 am

What wine did you install? Are you using ExaGear?
The C1 is known for many graphical issues, switching to 24 or 16 bpp in the boot.ini can help in certain cases.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby Georgetina » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:24 am

wine installed from repository that "came" with Debian jessie. Have now looked at ExaGear which looks interesting. Do you know if it runs well on the c1+ ?
Georgetina

Unread postby meveric » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:08 am

Wine is an API re-implementation. Means it does not emulate CPUs, but runs code natively.
This means in order to run wine on an armhf platform you would need armhf WINDOWS programs.
It will NOT run x86 windows applications, as the CPU architecture is different.

ExaGear is an emulation layer that emulates (translates) x86 calles to armhf, means you can run x86 applications on ARM platform.
ExaGear + Wine actually allows you to run Windows x86 based applications on ODROIDs.

Emulation requires a lot of CPU power, CPU power that the ODROID C1-Series normally doesn't have.
I don't think many programs will work "good" on the C1 but you can try it if you want.
There is a trail version available by installing exagear-desktop package on your image. Please note, that it's only a 3 day trail so you should try it when you actually have time for testing, or you waste your trail period.
Also x86 emulation lacks hardware acceleration. So any program that requires a 3D GPU will NOT work.
meveric

Unread postby Georgetina » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for such a super reply
Georgetina

Unread postby airwaveindehouse » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Hey Mev,
i ll check your image, because the original ubuntu isnt run so smooth, the android on c1 + has also issues with the network LAN. i t make bad updates over internet. I hope i can use my old c1+ such a little bit :)
airwaveindehouse

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+,C2

Unread postby meveric » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:25 am

Depends on what you plan to do with it. The C1 has a rather slow CPU and under X11 scaling capability of the GPU is also not the best also the C1 has very little RAM.
So it depends on what you plan to do with it.
Run it as a server, then the Debian Jessie image is probably the best for you as it has nothing installed that gets in your way.
Run a Desktop can be "ok" but there is no guarantee for that.
I also offer a full desktop image with pre-installed Kodi and Emulators for gaming.
meveric

Unread postby NadavR » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Thank you very much for the image, it works great. I've only had one problem with it: The default repositories are not official, and provide faulty ffmpeg packages (which is apparently a common issue). I had to replace my sources.list, in fact I had to nuke /etc/apt because just editing sources.list wasn't enough and I'm not sure where else it got its repositories.

I would like to ask: Is there a reason the image doesn't use official debian repositories?
NadavR

ODROIDs: c1
c2

Unread postby meveric » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:05 pm

NadavR wrote:The default repositories are not official

Yes they are. The image uses the default Debian repository as well as additional repositories to come by some short-comings of the Debian repositories as well as my own repositories to provide software created for ODROIDs.

NadavR wrote:and provide faulty ffmpeg packages (which is apparently a common issue).

These are not a "faulty" ffmpeg packages. In fact they work quite well.
Debian Jessie came by default with VERY outdated ffmpeg packages version 0.11 while currently we're at version 3.4.
The ffmpeg packages from Debian were so old that tons of applications would not work at all under Debian Jessie and the packages available on deb-multimedia were the only possibility to get these applications to work.
So no these are NOT faulty versions, but in fact rather good working versions of ffmpeg but from a "non-official" source.
By now on jessie-backports (which are backports from Debian Stretch) newer versions of ffmpeg are available than on deb-multimedia and due to the numbering of the versions of deb-multimedia, it can happen that the "older" versions of deb-multimedia are installed instead of the newer versions from jessie-backports, but this can be fixed rather easy.
Also keep in mind, that these packages DID NOT exist when Debian Jessie came out and for that were not available at all several years ago, while deb-multimedia packages WERE available.
Still none of these are "faulty" packages. Debian Jessie was simply way to old to be of use when it first came out.

NadavR wrote:I had to replace my sources.list, in fact I had to nuke /etc/apt because just editing sources.list wasn't enough and I'm not sure where else it got its repositories.

Probably a very bad idea which will lead to a lot of complications and will strip your ability to get ODROID related updates such as Kernel and Headers, or updates on the boot.ini, as well as ODROID related software such as Kodi and others.
As it's common practice for Debian based images under /etc/apt/sources.list are only those repositories that are directly from the OS.
All additional repositories are stored under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ so they can easily be disabled or removed. So all you would have had to do would have been to deactivate or remove the deb-multimedia.list under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ rather than "nuking" the /etc/apt folder which most likely deleted quite some configurations for apt as well.

NadavR wrote:I would like to ask: Is there a reason the image doesn't use official debian repositories?

Once again, the image DOES use the official repositories. It uses ADDITIONAL repositories as well. There's a difference.
The reason why these repositories are used were already mentioned as well:
1. Official Debian Jessie packages are outdated and prevent certain applications to work at all (jessie-backports is not part of the "official OS repository" either)
2. Software created specifically for ODROIDs (or the C1 in particularly) are NOT part of the Debian Jessie repositories and have to be installed via third party repositories (namely my own repositories)
3. Some of the software available in my repositories require packages from deb-multimedia, as they are not available from Debian Jessie at all.
meveric

Unread postby NadavR » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Let me prefix this reply by admitting that there are many things I do not yet know about Linux, deleting /etc/apt was just experimentation.

When I initially installed ffmpeg on my C1, it simply did not work. ffplay only showed a black window, and calling ffmpeg shared libraries caused crashes. You say that it works for you, which confuses me.
I used https://debgen.simplylinux.ch/ to generate my sources.list, which I see now does use backports. Once I did, and reinstalled ffmpeg, everything worked. Most importantly, I can dynamically link it with my the cross-compiled program I'm developing.

I understand that your answer to my question of why you used unofficial debian repositories is that you used deb-multimedia because it had packages unavailable (still unavailable?) on the official repositories, which is understandable. I humbly suggest that you add a disclaimer that might help hapless developers like me understand what's going on.
NadavR

ODROIDs: c1
c2

Unread postby meveric » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:27 am

NadavR wrote:When I initially installed ffmpeg on my C1, it simply did not work. ffplay only showed a black window, and calling ffmpeg shared libraries caused crashes. You say that it works for you, which confuses me.

This is due to some hardware limitations of the ODROID C1.
The ODROID C1 uses hacked alpha channel on the desktop, as the X11 drivers are not very good from amlogic.
This causes issues with several applications mostly in black windows and other things.
A workaround to this issue is to remove alpha channel completely by setting color depth to either 24bpp or 16bpp on the boot.ini after which ffplay is working fine.

The reason why it's working with the backport version of ffmpeg is probably cause it now uses serveral different rendering backends, for example OpenGL and SDL2 which was not used in previous versions, these are now used for color conversion which makes it possible to run in 32bit mode now.

NadavR wrote:I understand that your answer to my question of why you used unofficial debian repositories is that you used deb-multimedia because it had packages unavailable (still unavailable?) on the official repositories, which is understandable. I humbly suggest that you add a disclaimer that might help hapless developers like me understand what's going on.

If the image is fully updated the priority for deb-multimedia if lower than the priority of jessie-backports which means the packages from jessie-backports should be preferred.
So normally deb-multimedia should not interfere anymore. This was done a couple of months ago, and as long as you install all updates before you start installing ffmpeg this should work fine.
meveric

Unread postby shieldsit » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks for providing this distro! Can you help me fix cert errors I'm getting from your repo? Here is what it's telling me when I apt-get update:

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/all ... f/Packages server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/all ... f/Packages server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/jes ... f/Packages server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/jes ... f/Packages server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

Thanks again!
shieldsit

ODROIDs: c1, 25-c1+'s

Unread postby meveric » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:46 pm

The repo and the certificate is fine, my guess the ca-certificate package might be outdated and need to be updated.
Can you try a apt-get update; apt-get install ca-certificates and see if it downloads a new version?
meveric

Unread postby shieldsit » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Tried that before I posted and it didn't help. I went to the address in a browser on another PC and saw the cert(s) are fine so I don't know what might be going on.
shieldsit

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 pm

A workaround would be this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/277793/ ... get-update but this is like "ignore the issue".

Others report reinstalling certificates might help: https://github.com/moby/moby/issues/23315
meveric

Unread postby shieldsit » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 am

Good grief. It was the date/time... talk about a simple thing I didn't give a second thought. For some reason my NTP server won't talk to it so I had to set it manually.

Thanks for taking the time to assist me, sorry for being dumb!
shieldsit

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 am

shieldsit wrote:Good grief. It was the date/time... talk about a simple thing I didn't give a second thought. For some reason my NTP server won't talk to it so I had to set it manually.

Thanks for taking the time to assist me, sorry for being dumb!

Ah yes, that's something I also encountered a little while ago.
meveric

Unread postby kaspej » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:30 pm

apt-get update stoped working for me

Get:120 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/non-free Sources [79.7 kB]
Get:121 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/main armhf Packages [6,950 kB]
Get:122 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/main Translation-en [5,394 kB]
Get:123 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/contrib armhf Packages [42.0 kB]
Get:124 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/non-free armhf Packages [59.6 kB]
Get:125 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/non-free Translation-en [80.1 kB]
0% [Working]

any ideas how to fix that? It hang always on Translation-en.
kaspej

ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby meveric » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:50 pm

no it's actually not hanging on Translation but on what it's trying to load after that.
It happens quite often when you update from Debian Jessie to Debian Stretch, as there are some issues with the apt-transport-https module that is used for my repository.
Check the version of: librtmp1 that is currently installed and make sure it's actually the version of Debian Stretch and not deb-multimedia or Debian Jessie.
In the meantime you can disable my repositories under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ (the ones that have meveric in their name).
But I would highly advice AGAINST deleting them, as all the updates, software and drivers for the ODROID C1+ come directly from that repository.
You need to fix the apt-transport-https issues in order to make the repositories work again.
meveric

Unread postby jueshire » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 am

Hi,

Today I downloaded the image and tried it.
At first, it didn't expand the partition itself, but I could fix it myself by using parted.
Then, there were no additional repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, but I found them under https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/sources.lists/ and downloaded them.
Then, apt-get update complained about a missing key,
NO_PUBKEY 96C5830639B8AE9C
and importing meveric.asc from the website didn't help - now I'm lost. What did I wrong? Did I make a mistake or did get a buggy image?

Can someone assist me?
Cheers,
JueS
Rome wasn't burnt in a day.
jueshire

Unread postby meveric » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:34 am

My images come with repos placed under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ if there are no repositories, then something is wrong with the image and you should flash it anew.

Also make sure you only have one device connected at a time (either eMMC or SD) not both at once.
meveric

Unread postby jueshire » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 am

Thanx, it probablywas a problem with the downloaded image. A newly downloaded functions properly.
Rome wasn't burnt in a day.
jueshire

Unread postby Guso » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:04 am

Are you planning to release stretch images?
Guso

languages_spoken: english (alike), spanish

Unread postby meveric » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:32 am

yes I do..
I've already published Debian Stretch images for ODROID XU3/XU4-Series,C2 and N1.
I've also already looked into ODROID U3, but there are some major issues with Desktop performance on Exynos 4 series of ODROIDs, also the Kernel is outdated.
The C1 is scheduled for some time later, as I expect major performance issues here as well when it comes to desktop.
Also same as for the Exynos 4 boards, the Kernel of the C1 is actually too old for Debian Stretch and might cause issues because of this.
meveric

Unread postby Guso » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:25 pm

And about the kernel matter there is some kind of possible update? Or just eol?
Guso

languages_spoken: english (alike), spanish

Unread postby meveric » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:14 pm

The only supported Kernel at the moment is Kernel 3.10 there's nothing we can do about it, as it comes from AmLogic (the company that produces the SoC).
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:51 pm

I've installed this image and testing Chromium WebGL functionality to compare the behaviors in Ubuntu.
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=30627

I made two soft links against mali so file and Chromium GPU info shows the Mali stuff correctly.
But the WebGL-aquarium example shows only black screen even though "es2gears" works fine on the command line.
Current Debian Chromium version is 57.0.2987.98.

Can you please test the Chromium WebGL functionality?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:33 pm

I suggest using the OGST image where the desktop and chromium is fully configured already.
But I can try with the empty Debian image as well.
Still it might be you have to switch to 24bit or something for Chromium to work correctly.
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:53 am

We've installed the OGST image and the Aquarium WebGL example worked fine on the Chromium.
But, the screen flickering issue appeared again after apt update.
I think a recent package update might affect the Chromium WebGL rendering.
But it is very hard to know what package caused the problem. :(
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby francisscott » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 am

francisscott

Unread postby meveric » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:20 am

yes oph.mdrjr.net seems to be down at the moment. Let's wait and see what @mdrjr has to report about this :)
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:35 pm

The server is fine now. There was a maintenance work.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby rooted » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:48 pm

odroid wrote:The server is fine now. There was a maintenance work.
That's good news, I was afraid it was possible crash.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:01 am

rooted wrote:
odroid wrote:The server is fine now. There was a maintenance work.
That's good news, I was afraid it was possible crash.

at least my repository should be nearly unaffected from such a scenario.
There's a mirror hosted by @Fourdee for his DietPi images, and I have the content stored on my hard-drive and only do a sync to both servers all the time (which is also being backed up in case of a hard-disk failure).
So that wouldn't be lost, but other repositories hosted by mdrjr would of course be affected from a crash, although I believe mdrjr is also doing backups to prevent such total losses.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Fri May 25, 2018 5:41 am

tasksel: apt-get failed (100)

when trying to install a desktop env
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 25, 2018 7:34 am

is the ODROID connected to the internet?
Can you do an apt-get update without issues?
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Yes i've used the commands to update and dist upgrade you mentioned above, i've also installed nodejs 8 but when i try to install LXCE or XFCE i get that error.
It seems that the first big download is performed (for LXCE there were 890 files i guess) than it starts to work with libs and stuff until i reach that point.
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 pm

itsmaxdd wrote:Yes i've used the commands to update and dist upgrade you mentioned above, i've also installed nodejs 8 but when i try to install LXCE or XFCE i get that error.

Hmm could be XFCE that is causing the issue, I remember it having issues in the past as well, where you manually needed to fix the window manager and such.. I personally stay away from XFCE and prefer either LXDE or MATE where MATE is my favorite.
itsmaxdd wrote:It seems that the first big download is performed (for LXCE there were 890 files i guess)

Well that normally means that the all the desktop files are installed tasksel installs everything at once desktop, cups and openssh (e.g. tasksel install mate-desktop ssh-server print-server) so if that part runs through it should be fine.

itsmaxdd wrote:than it starts to work with libs and stuff until i reach that point.

This sounds as if the installation process is having issues, which normally indicates that there are broken packages, for example one package requires another package but the other package does not exist and so the install process fails.
I'm not sure what's the state of XFCE support under ARM Linux Debian Jessie.

I'd suggest to try a different Desktop (I suggest MATE) if the issue is the same, then maybe some already installed packages are broken and we need to check the log files why it's failing.
If it goes through then it's more likely that the XFCE desktop is broken from Debian Jessie and I doubt we can do something about it, as this comes from the Debian project.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Fri May 25, 2018 6:02 pm

Could you briefly tell me where should i check for the log file? It is strange that it happens also with LXDE though, probably something in common.
Later on i'll try MATE directly, i just need a desktop env with all the graphics driver and stuff to start my Magic Mirror
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 25, 2018 6:07 pm

check under /var/log/apt/term.log it should show what the packages did during install in the background.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Sat May 26, 2018 6:05 am

Some errors worth mentioning
I guess it's java?? MATE installation doesnt even start (same error), but i dont know why there is nothing in the log...

Setting up setup-odroid (0.0.1-40) ...
sed: can't read /etc/pulse/default.pa: No such file or directory

/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 64: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: fbset: not found
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 22: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: fbset: not found

Selecting previously unselected package openjdk-7-jre-headless:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u171-2.6.13-1~deb8u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking openjdk-7-jre-headless:armhf (7u171-2.6.13-1~deb8u1) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: compressed data is corrupt
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u171-2.6.13-1~deb8u1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
cannot copy extracted data for './usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-armhf/jre/lib/rt.jar' to '/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-armhf/jre/lib/rt.jar.dpkg-n$
S

Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u171-2.6.13-1~deb8u1_armhf.deb
itsmaxdd

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Sat May 26, 2018 7:51 pm

I started from scratch and installed MATE using setup-odroid before doing
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

The desktop has been installed correctly. Maybe when upgrading something breaks?
itsmaxdd

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Sun May 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I also want to add that sometimes i get this problem

Message from syslogd@localhost at May 27 11:07:59 ...
kernel:[ 244.659517@1] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks

and this happens when i reboot but the desktop environemnt is not showing up
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 27, 2018 9:35 pm

itsmaxdd wrote:sed: can't read /etc/pulse/default.pa: No such file or directory

This can be ignored, it's checking if you have pulseaudio installed and if so it checks if it's configured correctly.. if pulseaudio is not installed you see this note, but it's not a issue.

itsmaxdd wrote:/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 64: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: fbset: not found
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 22: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: fbset: not found

That's normal as well. fbset is used on boot to switch screen resolution and color depth, it's not installed on the default system, as it would mess up your picture but is available on boot time.
So one again it can be ignored.

itsmaxdd wrote:Selecting previously unselected package openjdk-7-jre-headless:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u171-2.6.13-1~deb8u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking openjdk-7-jre-headless:armhf (7u171-2.6.13-1~deb8u1) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: compressed data is corrupt
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u171-2.6.13-1~deb8u1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
cannot copy extracted data for './usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-armhf/jre/lib/rt.jar' to '/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-armhf/jre/lib/rt.jar.dpkg-n$
S

Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-7-jre-headless_7u171-2.6.13-1~deb8u1_armhf.deb

this looks like the package was damaged.. as it comes directly from Debian I don't know what could be wrong..
I suggest using apt-get clean and try again, as it will delete downloaded install packages and re-download them instead.

itsmaxdd wrote:I started from scratch and installed MATE using setup-odroid before doing
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

The desktop has been installed correctly. Maybe when upgrading something breaks?

None of the packages installed by MATE should be installed, so no matter if you update before or after it should install MATE fine
But I still suggest doing the updates first.
But I'm glad you got a working desktop to run.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Mon May 28, 2018 5:25 am

Also i've noticed kernel panic especially when usb ports are plugged and unplugged.
Also i was about to format a usb hdd with gparted but after 2mins everything freeze, here is the message

Message from syslogd@localhost at May 27 22:24:21 ...
kernel:[ 242.705101@3] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks

Message from syslogd@localhost at May 27 22:44:31 ...mitx: audio: Enable audio spdif to HDMI
kernel:[ 364.032414@2] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks PCM

which log should i look into to have an idea of what it is happening

Also i've noticed firefox tabs crashing pretty often and my environment is really not that snappy at all (icon in the MATE toolbars loads slowly and so on), is it due to the performance limitation?
itsmaxdd

Unread postby rooted » Mon May 28, 2018 5:50 am

itsmaxdd wrote:Also i've noticed kernel panic especially when usb ports are plugged and unplugged.

I may have missed it but what power supply are you using?
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 28, 2018 9:23 am

itsmaxdd wrote:Also i've noticed kernel panic especially when usb ports are plugged and unplugged.
Also i was about to format a usb hdd with gparted but after 2mins everything freeze, here is the message

Message from syslogd@localhost at May 27 22:24:21 ...
kernel:[ 242.705101@3] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks

Message from syslogd@localhost at May 27 22:44:31 ...mitx: audio: Enable audio spdif to HDMI
kernel:[ 364.032414@2] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks PCM

which log should i look into to have an idea of what it is happening

Sadly the freezes by unplugging and plugging in usb devices is a known issue for the board and nothing that can be fixed by the OS.
This is a broken Kernel driver and nothing that I personally can change.
Ubuntu is having the same issues (although they might be slightly different).

itsmaxdd wrote:Also i've noticed firefox tabs crashing pretty often and my environment is really not that snappy at all (icon in the MATE toolbars loads slowly and so on), is it due to the performance limitation?

The C1 is not all that great.
1. CPU is not "very" fast, although still faster than a RPI 2
-> you can try overclocking a little
2. RAM is less than 1GB which results in many applications are limited due to missing RAM
-> you can activate SWAP or install zram-odroid to reduce this issue, but it's still going to be an issue
3. The board is really bad at scaling.. for example running glmark2-es2 in window mode you can easily get 150 FPS and more, running the same benchmark in fullscreen mode (1080p) will be below 60 FPS and with that going to be "laggy" and might have visible delays
-> reducing screen resolution to 720p is probably best for the C1 as higher resolutions will slow down the system
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Mon May 28, 2018 2:56 pm

I have the standard EU power supply (i will read the description to double check it later on).
I'm already on a 720p panel but i've noticed that when the panel is off (i just did it one time because i had to go so i turned off the display) i dont have any kernel panic (as if video driver or pulseaudio is not complaining with HDMI).

Also have you ever saw this?
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=12891
With my SDCard i can't reboot properly most of the time, but it seems that you can do it correctly here.

I have c1+ though, btw i hope to see a Stretch release from you
itsmaxdd

Unread postby rooted » Tue May 29, 2018 3:02 am

Disable HPD in boot.ini
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+