mali for Debian Stretch (Xorg abi 23) in c1+

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

mali for Debian Stretch (Xorg abi 23) in c1+

Unread postby u-gene » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:49 am

Dear hardkernel devs,
I am running Debian Stretch on the odroid-c1+, upgraded from Jessie.
Can we get an update for your mali-x11/mali-fbdev at least up to the ABI 23.0 verson?
I cannot get the hardware acceleration for Kodi to work. Xorg won't start with mali because of the ABI version incompatibility:
(EE) mali: module ABI major version (20) doesn't match the server's version (23)\

I would try to build the package myself, but as far as I am aware, it's only you who can build it from the mali closed source. If I am wrong, please correct my ignorance by providing the sources and a tutorial how to build that.
Thanks in advance!
u-gene

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: c1, c1+, xu4

Re: mali for Debian Stretch (Xorg abi 23) in c1+

Unread postby meveric » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:50 am

mali-x11 and mali-fbdev have nothing to do with your issue.

The package xf86-video-mali and libump needs to be recompiled for Debian Stretch, as they are the framebuffer drivers that connect the GPU drivers with the X11 interface and for that need to be compiled matching the XOrg Server version.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby u-gene » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks, maveric, for the prompt reply. Now hk calls it xserver-xorg-video-mali
Okay, I remember to install a 3d mali driver for kodi to work, however it might have been my misunderstanding.

Hardkernel decided to push Ubuntu builds without supporting any other systems in the proprietary software, even the Ubuntu's daddy. I didn't like their Ubuntu system, had always a better luck with a pure Debian. By supporting I mean a documentation that hardkernel seems to lack on how to get video acceleration from sources, if possible. I've built this, vdpau and other video stuff for sunxi from git's before, but haven't seen any git for amlogic. There's plenty of docs available for allwinner. (We don't have to thank Allwinner for that)

So, do I have to guess how to rebuild xf86-video-mali (for my system or you could point me out to a tutorial or a git? )
BTW, "apt-cache depends kodi" or kodi-bin doesn't specify exactly what it needs.
u-gene

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm

If you're using viewtopic.php?f=114&t=17569 as a basis which you updated to Debian Stretch, then you actually using my images and I can probably provide updated packages for xf86-video-mali-odroid and libump-odroid myself as I've done that multiple times before.
The packages would be available through simple apt-get procedures and should either automatically update or be rather easy to install.

If you created your own Debian Jessie image that you updated to Debian Stretch it's a more complicated. You have to download the Mali DDX and UMP driver from malideveloper homepage in version r6p2 (which is what the C1 is using):
https://developer.arm.com/products/soft ... ay-drivers
https://developer.arm.com/products/soft ... user-space

The requirements are mostly xorg-dev and the usual autogen and such.

Please note, that "kodi" and "kodi-bin" from Debian repository will NOT work on the ODROID C1. We need special versions compiled against AmLogic VPU which is not available on official Kodi versions.

I personally don't have ported kodi to Debian Stretch armhf yet, as I encountered issues on arm64 which I couldn't solve, although I assume that armhf is probably easier to get to work than arm64 as drivers often work better.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby u-gene » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm

I greatly appreciate it, maveric. I am familiar with your great work of creating Debian images, however, I build them myself on an old x86 machine of mine loading everything I would need there at the qemu stage. It works nicely across all of arm boards I have. Just need to populate them with kernels, partition tables, boot configs and hardware acceleration bits. The latter causes the most pain of course. I think I might have picked some of your own or someone else's kodi related packages at some point, BTW.

Yes I do know that the vanilla Debian Kodi would work awful without amlogic hardware acceleration (been there, done that :)) . My kodi-bin dependency remark was about the hk4-amlogic1ubuntu9 version that I am trying from odroid.in debs. Had to symlink libmicrohttpd12 to 10. I will see if I am able to get it to work at all with xorg-video-mali package obtained from the odroid repo. Otherwise, I will try building the video driver myself using your suggestions. Didn't have time for any serious tinkering yet though.

I will look into that and get back to report about my progress.
Thanks!
u-gene

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 pm

u-gene wrote:I will see if I am able to get it to work at all with xorg-video-mali package obtained from the odroid repo.

This won't work, as I tried to explain earlier, the xorg-video-mali package needs to MATCH the Xorg Server version.
Packages from HardKernel are build for Ubuntu 16.04.
Ubuntu 16.04 uses XOrg Server in version 1.18 while Debian Stretch uses Version 1.19.
With that you gonna have once again a mismatch in the ABI version and the driver won't start.
meveric

Unread postby u-gene » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:26 am

As a matter of fact, xorg-video-mali does start and its lddconfig complained about libUMP and libmicrohttpd10 as per mali_drv.so There is still one complaint though:

/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/kodi/kodi-xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

So far, I haven't had any ABI mismatch complaints. But kodi doesn't start or takes too long to start.

Interestingly,
dpkg-query -f '${Depends}\n' -W 'xserver-xorg-video-mali'
reports nothing.
u-gene

Unread postby meveric » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:14 am

most likely cause hardkernel has not set the dependencies.
Dependencies are not auto-generated in all cases and especially if they use other self build packages that are not part of the debian repository such as libump and such.
meveric

Unread postby u-gene » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:20 am

Exactly, that's what would I usually do as well when building something with checkinstall when want to do it quick and dirty.
u-gene

Return to Other OS