Can the XU4 run Windows?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Can the XU4 run Windows?

Unread postby KillerTuxedo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Hey! I'm interested in purchasing the ODROID-XU4 as a the main board for a project I'm working on. I heard Microsoft was doing something with Windows 10 IoT, and I was curious if the ODROID will be able to run Windows 10?

The goal is to make a handheld portable gaming device, and I thought it would be cool to run Steam off of it and play some low-requirement games, like Rivals of Aether.
KillerTuxedo

Re: Can the XU4 run Windows?

Unread postby memeka » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:09 pm

Windows IOT is not windows you know. It's got no interface, just command line.
memeka

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby meveric » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Windows IoT is NOT Windows 10, you can NOT run Steam on it, you can also NOT run any other Windows program on it.

Fun fact, with ODROIDs and Linux, you can use "Moonlight" an NVIDIA streaming technology to stream any game you want to the ODROID, for example The Witcher 3 ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby Jawbraeka » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm

There is an app I saw like a virtual machine that can run any windows version.. YouTube run windows on android.. Should come up..
Jawbraeka

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby Sentilix » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:34 pm

You can emulate Windows, but performance will be veeery poor.
I did install Windows 2000 on my Odroid C2 (using qEmu) - it worked, but took ~2 hours to install and another 5 minutes just boot!

So can you install Windows? Most likely - if you have the patience.
But don't expect to run anything useful, including games.
Sentilix

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1+, C2, U3, XU4+CS2, HC1

Unread postby odroid » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:50 pm

A few interesting videos.

odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Jawbraeka » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Sentilix wrote:You can emulate Windows, but performance will be veeery poor.
I did install Windows 2000 on my Odroid C2 (using qEmu) - it worked, but took ~2 hours to install and another 5 minutes just boot!

So can you install Windows? Most likely - if you have the patience.
But don't expect to run anything useful, including games.

For the basis of emmc, it might be OK to support hyperspin being I haven't seen any Linux port for hyperspin and only seen attract mode.

This is the video I saw..
https://youtu.be/PORoO-EcW74

Possibly with the right configuration.. It may run smooth enough to launch hyperspin for that strict purpose alone.. If you're running a sole purpose entertainment machine only..
Jawbraeka

Unread postby meveric » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Jawbraeka wrote:For the basis of emmc,

What's that suppose to mean?

Jawbraeka wrote:it might be OK to support hyperspin being I haven't seen any Linux port for hyperspin and only seen attract mode.

Hyperspin and attract mode both require 3D acceleration, if you install an emulated windows, you won't have any hardware acceleration at all and even IF it woul work for some magical reason, it would probably be about 0.5 FPS.

Jawbraeka wrote:This is the video I saw..

This Video is a nice "fake" ;)
If you check on the start of the video you see his phone shows 6:26 as a time when the video is finished (6min later) it shows 6:50 the entire process of showing how to configure boot it up and turn it off took him about 30mins.
Very unlikely.
Also he doesn't show any installation he uses a fully prepared harddrive image xp.img which means it was never installed directly on the phone which would have taken several hours as @Sentilix pointed out.
Also he doesn't show anything besides moving the mouse left to right.
At 6:35 he starts the boot of the Windows XP system. Saying the boot will take a maximum of 5minutes (same as @Sentilix said). If you check the clock of his phone when the image is up, the time says 6:49.
That's 14 minutes later ;)
Believe me and @Sentilix this is nothing new and was done before, it is NOT a full speed Windows, and it will not run Windows 10 or any other modern Windows.
Even his Windows XP version is extremly slimmed down. Try to install Windows XP on a regular PC or VM and check the size of the installation I highly doubt it's gonna be less than 400MB as it is on his image.
There is not even the default UI from Windows XP installed, but the very old fall back style from Windows 95.

Jawbraeka wrote:Possibly with the right configuration.. It may run smooth enough to launch hyperspin for that strict purpose alone.. If you're running a sole purpose entertainment machine only..

Nope, it won't. The video is just a fake, he even shows the settings.. It's default qemu with the std graphics settings: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QEMU/Optio ... ay_options
Graphics card
QEMU can emulate several graphics cards:
  • -vga cirrus - Simple graphics card. Every guest OS has a built-in driver.
  • -vga std - Support resolutions >= 1280x1024x16. Linux, Windows XP and newer guest have a built-in driver.
  • -vga vmware - VMware SVGA-II, more powerful graphics card. Install x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware in Linux guests, VMware Tools in Windows XP and newer guests.
  • -vga qxl - More powerful graphics card for use with SPICE.
To get more performance use the same color depth for your host as you use in the guest.

-vga std is a standard SVGA graphics card aimed to be compatible with most hardware but it has NOT 3D capabilities.. Therefore no hyperspin or whatever.

Just think about it.. if Windows 10 would run without issue and all it's glory, why would you try to prove everything is possible with an outdated slimmed down version of Windows XP?
Why not show some Windows 10 and candy crush soda saga or some bullshit like that, to prove it's possible? Why just an old XP with nothing installed nothing to show at all besides, "see it's booted and I can move the mouse!"?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby Jawbraeka » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:00 pm

True that.. Was wishful thinking on my part.
Ho hum
Jawbraeka

Unread postby Jawbraeka » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:09 pm

meveric wrote:
Jawbraeka wrote:For the basis of emmc,

What's that suppose to mean?

Emmc, for speed and storage.
meveric wrote:
Jawbraeka wrote:it might be OK to support hyperspin being I haven't seen any Linux port for hyperspin and only seen attract mode.

Hyperspin and attract mode both require 3D acceleration, if you install an emulated windows, you won't have any hardware acceleration at all and even IF it woul work for some magical reason, it would probably be about 0.5 FPS.

Ahhh shit really lol?

meveric wrote:
Jawbraeka wrote:This is the video I saw..

This Video is a nice "fake" ;)
If you check on the start of the video you see his phone shows 6:26 as a time when the video is finished (6min later) it shows 6:50 the entire process of showing how to configure boot it up and turn it off took him about 30mins.
Very unlikely.
Also he doesn't show any installation he uses a fully prepared harddrive image xp.img which means it was never installed directly on the phone which would have taken several hours as @Sentilix pointed out.
Also he doesn't show anything besides moving the mouse left to right.
At 6:35 he starts the boot of the Windows XP system. Saying the boot will take a maximum of 5minutes (same as @Sentilix said). If you check the clock of his phone when the image is up, the time says 6:49.
That's 14 minutes later ;)
Believe me and @Sentilix this is nothing new and was done before, it is NOT a full speed Windows, and it will not run Windows 10 or any other modern Windows.
Even his Windows XP version is extremly slimmed down. Try to install Windows XP on a regular PC or VM and check the size of the installation I highly doubt it's gonna be less than 400MB as it is on his image.
There is not even the default UI from Windows XP installed, but the very old fall back style from Windows 95.

Fag.. The producer of the video.. Not you two.
Jawbraeka

Unread postby meveric » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:06 am

Fast storage won't help you if the emulation is too slow to handle it. Most of the time the I/O device (may it be a SD, eMMC or a harddrive) will wait for the CPU, since this is the bottle neck with emulated systems.
meveric

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:32 am

I've run Win 3.11 in a dosbox environment on a c2 to prank a co-worker. The experience was smooth and resembled windows 3.11 on a 486 pc :)
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Return to Other OS