[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby bcclsn » Sun May 07, 2017 11:54 pm

meveric wrote:As I said I never used Kodi over Terminal, so I really can't say what's missing.
Apparently you can get it to work like this: viewtopic.php?p=183098#p183098
So maybe you should just try:
Code: Select all
su odroid -c "/usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch /usr/local/bin/kodi -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7"

thanks meveric... :)

I changed my mind. as soon as possible, I format one more time and I reinstall you Jessie image (at the moment I running libreelec 8.0.0 but it is too limited).

I will install a full DE and than I will boot only kodi. so, can you recap me the way to do it, after turning the minimal image into full desktop image?

in other words, how I start kodi automatically, without login into the DE (mate)?

bcclsn

languages_spoken: italian
ODROIDs: Odroid C1

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 08, 2017 2:42 am

I haven't 100% tested it yet, but you might want to install "setup-odroid" it should have an option to install Desktop as well as Kodi and if you're lucky I haven't messed it up and it's working right away :D
You can also use my ODROID GameStation Turbo image where everything is already set up ready to use.. you can alter it to your need and since all stuff is installed via packages you can simply uninstall what you don't want.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby bcclsn » Mon May 08, 2017 3:10 am

well... now I have a fully working debian jessie with kodi. how can I start kodi on boot without login into mate DE?

then I will finish... I promise xD
bcclsn

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 08, 2017 2:34 pm

There are a couple different ways to do it.
For example you could write a systemd start script, that runs kodi, as soon as the system is ready.
Or you could activate auto-login (/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf -> autologin-user=odroid) and then setup Kodi as a startup application. Either from menu, or by copying the kodi.desktop file to $USER/.config/autostart/
There's even a way to switch the DE from MATE to Kodi for this the kodi.desktop file needs to be copied to /usr/share/xsessions/ that way you can select from the login screen in the upper right corner that you want to use Kodi as a session.
That way there's no desktop loaded, just Kodi and if you quit kodi, you're back to the login screen.
This can be combined with the autologin in lightdm as well and with that you automatically boot into Kodi if that's what you want.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby bcclsn » Tue May 09, 2017 1:20 am

hi meveric,

boh... it does't work :(

I installed lightdm, I configured autologin, I created the .desktop in $USER/.config/autostart and then I also copied it into /use/share/xsessions... but nothing :/
p.s. with systemd service (copied from official kodi autostart page) is the same thing :(

.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=kodi
Name=kodi
Comment=kodi autostart

so, please, can you help me? I am going crazy! very soon I will burn my C1 and then I through it the windows ahahahahah :( :cry:
bcclsn

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 am

don't create a desktop file take the one that already exists in /usr/local/share/applications/.
I'm not sure, but it could be that you have to make the file executable as well chmod +x at least in the autostart folder.
meveric

Unread postby bcclsn » Tue May 09, 2017 3:33 am

I don't have any kodi.desktop :(

uff, why I have all this difficulties? sorry meveric :(
bcclsn

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 5:28 am

Are you sure you have the correct Kodi installed? kodi-odroid? How did you install it?
meveric

Unread postby bcclsn » Tue May 09, 2017 3:02 pm

meveric wrote:Are you sure you have the correct Kodi installed? kodi-odroid? How did you install it?

yes, I am sure :)
I installed it using setup-odroid... but even if I install manually "kodi-odroid", it doesn't work.

I regret my raspberry... with it, all worked on my first try :(
bcclsn

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 3:52 pm

RPi works a lot different and there are ready to use images for the ODROIDs as well ;)
If kodi-odroid is installed you should have kodi.desktop in /usr/local/share/applications/
can you give the output of ls -la /usr/local/share/applications/?
meveric

Unread postby bcclsn » Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 pm

but it never is, you know :(

why?!!!! all the sources.list are okay!

I tried to install arm-trasportation-https from .deb but there are some problems with dependencies :/
bcclsn

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 8:37 pm

bcclsn wrote:but it never is, you know :(

why?!!!! all the sources.list are okay!

Edit:
I've checked on the HTTPS issue.. @mdrjr reconfigured his server to perm redirect to https so all packages from my repository now require HTTPS.
That is way you now need apt-transport-https.
A little bit of warning would have been nice though.

bcclsn wrote:I tried to install arm-trasportation-https from .deb but there are some problems with dependencies :/

Not sure what you tried.. Don't try to download and install anything "manually" use apt-get install apt-transport-https
but first check where it's coming from.
meveric

Unread postby bcclsn » Tue May 09, 2017 10:26 pm

:o >.<

so, now, I can resolve this issue? I can't install apt-tranport-https :(

root@odroid-jessie:~# apt-get install apt-transport-https
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package apt-transport-https is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'apt-transport-https' has no installation candidate

meveric, thak you so much for all your support and your patience!
bcclsn

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 11:41 pm

hmm let's be a little bit more drastic for the moment.

mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d{,.bak}
apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https
mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d.bak /etc/apt/sources.list.d
apt-get update

Let's see if that works. :)
meveric

Unread postby bcclsn » Wed May 10, 2017 12:26 am

and it worksssss!!!!! yeaaahhh!!! :)

I will proceed with kodi... maybe I have found the solution :)

EDIT. I can't install software from your repo :cry:

your repos dosn't work
bcclsn

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 10, 2017 1:14 am

:D
check /etc/apt/sources.list.d.. maybe by using apt-get update it recreated the folder and we just moved the "renamed" folder inside that folder instead of renaming them.
all the .list files (except sources.list itself) should be located directly under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ not in another subfolder.
meveric

Unread postby bcclsn » Wed May 10, 2017 1:39 am

of course...

it seems okay, but it still doesn't work

edit. I think, there are some problems with your repo, because it is impossibile to retrieve (?) http etc. u.u
bcclsn

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 10, 2017 2:57 am

hmm works fine for me.. I had the same issue as you had above with the https, but after I installed apt-transport-https it was working fine.
Can you show the output of apt-get update?
meveric

Unread postby bcclsn » Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 am

... it works!

don't ask me why. I have updated one more time and boh... it completed succesfully the update... XD

maybe I can continue with the installation :) thank you so much :)
bcclsn

Unread postby davincino » Sat May 20, 2017 4:54 am

@meveric

thanks for your image and the workthrough about https-issue.
It would be nice if you could add this information in your first post so its not necessary to read 4 pages ;-)
davincino

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2: Libreelec
XU4: its new, maybe DebianJessie

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 20, 2017 5:04 am

I'm currently working on updating all my images, so that it's included on the base image.
But it will take a little while.
I already updated Images for U2/U3 and X2, next is X and then XU3/XU4 and then C1 image. The C2 image will be the last :)
So lots of images to get straight :)
meveric

Unread postby kaspej » Fri May 26, 2017 6:20 am

I can't stand, when would you have image for C1+?
kaspej

ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 27, 2017 12:54 am

Update:
  • I've updated the base image and included drivers so apt via HTTPS works out of the box.
  • I also pre-installed setup-odroid which allows you to install Kodi or Desktop easily.
  • I was also asked to include Wifi tools to setup wifi from command line, these are pre-installed now was well.

@kaspej just for you ;)
meveric

Unread postby Nuems » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks for kodi-next-odroid (aka Kodi 17.3)! However, I'll have to rebuild my pvr addon again (cf. viewtopic.php?f=112&t=26032). In this context I'd like to know which options were used to compile Kodi (I guess it's from https://github.com/Owersun/xbmc again, isn't it?) and which dependencies should be fulfilled, especially with respect to graphics. I'm asking because there's an option for the vdr-vnsi-pvr-addon to display vdr's osd in Kodi. It works on the rpi and I formerly had it working on my XU with a wayland+kodi setup based on memeka's work, but I haven't yet managed to get this feature working on my C1. My best guess is that I didn't reference the correct headers when building the kodi pvr addon.
Another question about Kodi on Debian: Is it possible to use audio passthrough in this version by starting kodi with
AE_SINK=ALSA kodi

as it is in Ubuntu? I'm experiencing some stutter with 5.1 aac audio streams from German DVB-T2 HD in kodi 16.1, so trying passthrough seems worth a shot (but I haven't been able to achieve that in my current installation).
Nuems

languages_spoken: english, german, some spanish
ODROIDs: xu, c1

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:45 am

I haven't build PVR addons for Kodi 17.3 yet, I've started, but the Kodi addons take a lot of time and lot of hacking to get them to work.
For Kodi 16 this was done and all the addons are available with the kodi-addons-odroid package. So once it's available for Kodi 17 I would upload this as well, but I haven't had the time to continue this yet.

Why is it that everyone desperately needs to use Kodi 17 when Kodi 16 is working fine and has all the PVR addons right there and working?

Anyway, compiling Kodi 17 was terribly hard since some dependencies do not exist on Debian Jessie and I had to rebuild some packages.
For example Kodi 17 can't be compiled with GCC 4.9 which is available in Debian Jessie, but needs a higher GCC version. I ended up building it with GCC 6.3 and also had to build some of the dependencies with GCC 6.3 as well in order to get this work.
So I can't really tell you what is needed for you to get this mess working. Since I don't know yet either.

Also I have no experience with Kodi and passthrough audio, so I can't help you with that. Especially not with Kodi 17.
I personally consider Kodi 17 the Visa or Windows 8 of the Kodi releases, and would rather use Kodi 16 or wait for Kodi 18.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby Nuems » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 am

Thanks for the quick reply. This is going to save me hours because I was about to start building the pvr addon. Now I guess I won't. My main concern with Kodi before 17.3 is the subtitle bug. The fine tuning for hw acceleration is nice, too, because I'm not entirely happy with mpeg2 hw decoding (and from years of using vdr, I've got tons of mpeg2 video).
Nuems

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:01 am

Nuems wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. This is going to save me hours because I was about to start building the pvr addon. Now I guess I won't. My main concern with Kodi before 17.3 is the subtitle bug.

What subtitle bug? I don't have issues with subtitles on Kodi 16.

I think I've read about a bug in Kodi 17, but that's kinda what I meant with "Vista release" Kodi 17 had bug fix releases several times in a row. 17.2 and 17.3 were only a short while apart form each other since they had to fix several bugs.
But I'm not sure if they were related to any subtitle issues.

Nuems wrote:The fine tuning for hw acceleration is nice, too, because I'm not entirely happy with mpeg2 hw decoding (and from years of using vdr, I've got tons of mpeg2 video).

Not sure if there were any changes on mepg2 decoding. From what I understand the codec is broken by amlogic not by Kodi.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby Nuems » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 am

By "subtitle bug" I meant this issue:
https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-v173-minor ... ty-release (Section "Security")
In Kodi 17.3, you can switch on/off hardware acceleration per codec, so disabling it for mpeg2 but keeping it for the rest is fairly easy. However, I'm not too happy about Kodi's rero strategy either because I know the pains of compiling it for arm devices. Beagleboard, XU - I've been there and spent too much time on things that didn't quite work out the way I wanted them to.
Nuems

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:33 am

Nuems wrote:By "subtitle bug" I meant this issue:
https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-v173-minor ... ty-release (Section "Security")

Interesing, but effects you only if you download subtitles, if you have bluray or DVD rips it doesn't matter.
Also the article is unclear about the access rights. It says "full control" still that's hard to believe, normally Kodi should run under an unprivileged user, which means the stuff that can be done is limited this this particular users rights.
Still yeah, it's a serious bug.

Nuems wrote:In Kodi 17.3, you can switch on/off hardware acceleration per codec, so disabling it for mpeg2 but keeping it for the rest is fairly easy. However, I'm not too happy about Kodi's rero strategy either because I know the pains of compiling it for arm devices. Beagleboard, XU - I've been there and spent too much time on things that didn't quite work out the way I wanted them to.

Yes, but I think for Kodi 16 mpeg2 was already software decoded for AmLogic so I don't think anything has to be configured. I know MPEG2 (including DVDs) were working fine on the C1 with Kodi 16 last time I tested it.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 am

Hello meveric,
how can i provide you a startup log? 9/10 my odroid is not booting the shh server as well as everything on the OS
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:11 am

you can attach files in the forum posts.. I guess /var/log/syslog would be very interesting to check. Or if you have a UART you can save the output and upload it here as well (it would show even more useful infos).
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:59 pm

It clearly has something to do with my HDD

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-c70...dfef4cf.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /media/c703f2aa-49b8-41bf-bd48-18432dfef4cf.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /export/Disco1.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk...8-18432dfef4cf.
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-A4D...A30632A.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /media/A4DA3092DA30632A.
         Starting File System Quota Check...
[  OK  ] Closed ACPID Listen Socket.
[  OK  ] Stopped Getty on tty1.
[  OK  ] Stopped Serial Getty on ttyS0.
[  OK  ] Stopped getty on tty2-tty6 if dbus and logind are not available.
[  OK  ] Stopped target Graphical Interface.
[  OK  ] Stopped target Multi-User System.
[  OK  ] Stopped The OpenMediaVault engine daemon that proces...he RPC request.
[  OK  ] Stopped Deluge Bittorrent Client Web Interface.
[  OK  ] Stopped Regular background program processing daemon.
[  OK  ] Stopped A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.
[  OK  ] Stopped Run anacron jobs.
[  OK  ] Stopped Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
[  OK  ] Closed Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack Activation Socket.
[  OK  ] Stopped Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (SMART) Daemon.
[  OK  ] Stopped The PHP FastCGI Process Manager.
         Starting Cleanup PHP session files...
[  OK  ] Stopped Deluge Bittorrent Client Daemon.
[  OK  ] Stopped OpenBSD Secure Shell server.
[  OK  ] Stopped RPC Remote Quota Server.
[  OK  ] Stopped OpenVPN connection to server.
[  OK  ] Stopped /etc/rc.local Compatibility.
[  OK  ] Stopped Login Service.
[  OK  ] Stopped D-Bus System Message Bus.
[  OK  ] Closed D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.
[  OK  ] Stopped Permit User Sessions.
         Starting Beep after system start...
[  OK  ] Reached target Login Prompts.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: Start or stop the Deluge BitTorrent daemon..
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd).
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: start Samba daemons for the AD DC.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: HPA's tftp server.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: service and resource monitoring daemon.
         Starting Cleanup monit state file...
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: SNMP agents.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: manage the statistics collection daemon.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: set CPUFreq kernel parameters.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: Load kernel modules needed to enable cpufreq scaling.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: Plex Media Server.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: Start NTP daemon.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: start the RRDtool data caching daemon.
[  OK  ] Stopped LSB: start Samba NetBIOS nameserver (nmbd).
[  OK  ] Reached target Remote File Systems.
         Starting Trigger Flushing of Journal to Persistent Storage...
[  OK  ] Stopped System Logging Service.
[  OK  ] Stopped target Basic System.
         Starting folder2ram systemd service...
[  OK  ] Reached target Paths.
[  OK  ] Reached target Timers.
[  OK  ] Stopped target System Initialization.
         Starting Create Volatile Files and Directories...
         Starting LSB: Raise network interfaces....
[  OK  ] Closed Syslog Socket.
[  OK  ] Reached target Sockets.
         Starting Emergency Shell...
[  OK  ] Started Emergency Shell.
[  OK  ] Reached target Emergency Mode.
[  OK  ] Started File System Quota Check.
[  OK  ] Started Cleanup PHP session files.
[  OK  ] Started Beep after system start.
[   98.839597@1] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
[  OK  ] Started Cleanup monit state file.
[   98.863321@3] nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (14654 buckets, 58616 max)
[  OK  ] Started Create Volatile Files and Directories.
[   98.945516@0] systemd-journald[255]: Received request to flus[  OK  ] Started Trigger Flushing of Journal to Persistent Storage.
         Starting Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown...
         Starting Enable File System Quotas...
[  OK  ] Started Enable File System Quotas.
[  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown.
         Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
[  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.
[   99.716743@0] netdev_open
[   99.719402@0] Ethernet reset
[   99.722160@0] NET MDA descpter start addr=eab00000
[   99.778361@0] phy_interface = 0
[   99.781143@0] aml_phy_init:  trying to attach to 0:01
[   99.783967@0] am_rtl811f called phy reset

[   99.799807@0] --1--write mac add to:ebe44b48: 00 1e 06 20 24 fd |.. $.|
[   99.805960@0] --2--write mac add to:ebe44b48: 00 1e 06 20 24 fd |.. $.|
[   99.812693@0] write mac add to:ebe44b48: 00 1e 06 20 24 fd |.. $.|
[   99.818907@0] Current DMA mode=0, set mode=621c100
[   99.833803@0] ether leave promiscuous mode
[   99.836428@0] ether leave all muticast mode
[   99.839087@0] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[  OK  ] Started LSB: Raise network interfaces..
         Starting ifup for eth0...
[  OK  ] Started ifup for eth0.
[  OK  ] Reached target Network.
[  OK  ] Reached target Network is Online.
         Starting LSB: RPC portmapper replacement...
[  OK  ] Started LSB: RPC portmapper replacement.
[  OK  ] Reached target RPC Port Mapper.
[  OK  ] Started folder2ram systemd service.
Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xbGive root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue): [  103.799749@0] [adjust link] -> eth: full-duplex
[  103.802358@0] [adjust link] -> eth: phy_speed <> priv_speed)
[  103.806853@0] [adjust link -> eth: am_adjust_link state change (new_state=true)
[  103.814161@0] libphy: 0:01 - Link is Up - 1000/Full
[  103.819122@0] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

etc/fstab
UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859       /       ext4    errors=remount-$
/dev/mmcblk0p1                                  /boot   vfat    noatime,discard$
# >>> [openmediavault]
UUID=c703f2aa-49b8-41bf-bd48-18432dfef4cf /media/c703f2aa-49b8-41bf-bd48-18432d$
/dev/disk/by-uuid/A4DA3092DA30632A /media/A4DA3092DA30632A ntfs defaults,nofail$
/media/c703f2aa-49b8-41bf-bd48-18432dfef4cf/Disco1 /export/Disco1 none bind 0 0
# <<< [openmediavault]
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults        0       0

-- Logs begin at Thu 1970-01-01 01:30:21 CET, end at Thu 1970-01-01 01:34:30 CET
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: Global timer: MESON TIMER-F (c0991140) ini
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page fou
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: wr
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page fou
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: wr
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page fou
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: wr
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page fou
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: wr
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: Running btrfs free space cache tests
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: Running extent only tests
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: Running bitmap only tests
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: Running bitmap and extent tests
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie kernel: Free space cache tests finished
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie systemd-udevd[268]: inotify_add_watch(6, /dev/sda1
Jan 01 01:30:21 odroid-jessie systemd-udevd[269]: inotify_add_watch(6, /dev/sdb1
Jan 01 01:31:49 odroid-jessie systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-
Jan 01 01:31:49 odroid-jessie systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /media/c703f2aa-
Jan 01 01:31:49 odroid-jessie systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /export/Disco1.
Jan 01 01:31:49 odroid-jessie systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Local File Syste
Jan 01 01:31:49 odroid-jessie systemd[1]: Dependency failed for File System Chec
Jan 01 01:31:49 odroid-jessie systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-
Jan 01 01:31:49 odroid-jessie systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /media/A4DA3092D
Jan 01 01:31:53 odroid-jessie systemd[415]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /bin/pl

Regards,
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Yes, these dependency failed entries indicate that your /etc/fstab entries are preventing the system from booting.
These entries are not very good as it is anyway.

It seems OMV really messes up the fstab entries.
Especially if the HDDs are not connected this will probably result in a system unable to boot.
It seems to want to mount at least two partitions/harddrives:
c703f2aa-49b8-41bf-bd48-18432dfef4cf
and
A4DA3092DA30632A
if these are not present on boot, the system will probably refuse to boot.
There are other ways to mount harddrives than fstab, udev, autofs, and so on, OMV does a really dirty job here, especially if harddrives are not connected permanently.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Is there a way to clean this up a bit?
What should be the right way?
Can you provide me something? I'll write directly to the OMV team
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:24 am

itsmaxdd wrote:Is there a way to clean this up a bit?

Hard to tell, it's the stuff that is between the # >>> [openmediavault] and # <<< [openmediavault] that looks off.
Sadly it's cut off, so i can't 100% say what has to be in there.
But what I can see:
a harddrive with UUID=c703f2aa-49b8-41bf-bd48-18432dfef4cf is mounted to /media/c703f2aa-49b8-41bf-bd48-18432d$ sadly the end of the line is cut off.
Still that is strange. The harddrive is probably mounted to /media/ anway, still it gets mounted into a folder with the ID of the HDD which is kinda odd, since things like this are normally done automatically without fstab entries.
later it mounts the folder /media/c703f2aa-49b8-41bf-bd48-18432dfef4cf/Disco1 to /export/Disco1
This means the HDD is first mount into the folder with the strange ID, then the folder with the strange ID is mounted into another folder (or better a subfolder of it) that's all very strange.

I'd suggest outcomment the lines between the two openmediavault lines and see what happens.
It could be that one of your DATA folders is not at the expected place /export/Disco1 if so you probably only have to create a symlink which is much saver than mounting in /etc/fstab

itsmaxdd wrote:What should be the right way?

Hard to say, the lines are cut off and I don't know what it's needed for.
Normally things like this is handled by the OS itself and doesn't need to be done in /etc/fstab, except maybe some special attributes for NTFS, not sure.

itsmaxdd wrote:Can you provide me something? I'll write directly to the OMV team

It's probably correct from their point of view and they may suggest to keep the HDD connected all the time.
meveric

Unread postby itsmaxdd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:35 pm

So let me give you some more info.
The HDDs are always connected. The odroid doesnt startup most of the time unless i disconnect them and at a certain point i reattach them.
Those lines between the openmediavault are meant to mount my hdd and they are written directly from openmediavault in order to have samba and stuff like that.
itsmaxdd

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:20 pm

well for some reason they are not available during boot. Maybe you need to put the modules for NTFS in the intiramfs so it can be accessed earlier in the boot process, but the log you provided says, that it's waiting for the HDDs and can't find them and that's why the process fails.
It's probably easier to use ext4 partitions/harddrives under linux than NTFS (and also faster).
meveric

Unread postby jit » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 pm

New question (hope it's the appropiate place).

I'm using this debian jessie distro on my C0. I installed emulationstation and I'm searching how to change the splash screen.
Using google shown me some interesting things but with retropie.

Do you know if the provided version of emulationstation as a way to change splashscreen (eg. by putting an image somewhere), or is it compiled in ?
If it has been compiled in, I could compile the same version by myself, but I'm not sure from where the sources have been taken, do you know ?
jit

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: odroid-w, 1x C0, 1x C1, 2x C1+, 1x C2, 1x XU4

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 pm

sadly I don't know how the splashscreen works, but I would guess it's part of the theme and not compiled in (I hope).
If it's compiled in you can use the version from retropie since it's currently the best maintained version.
meveric

Unread postby jit » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:05 am

ok, little bit off topic, but I post the solution for emulationstation.
Images are compiled in : there are converted to char in cpp files. Cpp files are in data/ressources/converted.

I made my own SVG file and used http://tools.garry.tv/bin2c to convert to cpp to replace splash_svg.cpp.
jit

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: odroid-w, 1x C0, 1x C1, 2x C1+, 1x C2, 1x XU4

Unread postby Nuems » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:15 am

Regarding the hdd/reboot issues:
On both my C1 and my XU I'm encountering hdd-detection issues on reboot if (and only if) I use a back powering usb hub. Two workarounds:
a) Use a different usb hub.
b) Do a full power cycle of board and periphery.
Nuems

Unread postby swexican » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Hello Meveric,

First of all thank you for this nice distro!

I've just installed it on a 16Gb emmc on a C1, and even though it is running nicely, I had some issues/warnings the first time i run a apt-get upgrade. Maybe those are no real issues, but I just want to be sure I won't have troubles in the future. Here is the end of the upgrade log, just before the issues starts to show while setting up setup-droid.

Setting up setup-odroid (0.0.1-31) ...
Adding user `nicbal' to group `tty' ...
Adding user nicbal to group tty
Done.
Adding user `nicbal' to group `sys' ...
Adding user nicbal to group sys
Done.
sed: can't read /etc/pulse/default.pa: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /etc/pulse/default.pa: No such file or directory
patching file boot.ini
patching file boot.ini
can't find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff --git a/c1-init.sh b/c1-init.sh
|index a47f59a..112c421 100755
|--- a/c1-init.sh
|+++ b/c1-init.sh
--------------------------
File to patch:
Skip this patch? [y] n
File to patch: b/c1-init.sh     
b/c1-init.sh: No such file or directory
Skip this patch? [y]
Skipping patch.
2 out of 2 hunks ignored
ln: failed to create hard link ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.10.104.dpkg-bak’ => ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.10.104’: Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.10.104
Image Name:   uInitrd
Created:      Sun Aug 20 00:39:26 2017
Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    3630111 Bytes = 3545.03 kB = 3.46 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point:  00000000
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 62: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: fbset: not found
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 22: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: fbset: not found
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: 24: /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c1_init.sh: cannot create /sys/class/ppmgr/ppscaler: Directory nonexistent
patching file boot.ini
Hunk #2 succeeded at 90 with fuzz 1.
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...

Something I should worry about?

Thank you and kind regards!
swexican
swexican

languages_spoken: english, swedish, spanish

Unread postby meveric » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:39 pm

I'll check on the c1-init.sh that shouldn't be there.
The rest should be ok.
Generally it shouldn't be much of an issue if that patch failed. It normally just adds new resolutions, and is rarely used, unless you use the C1 with the VU5 or something like that.

Thanks for reporting though, I'll check into it.
meveric

Unread postby swexican » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:15 am

meveric wrote:Thanks for reporting though, I'll check into it.

Thanks for looking in to it!

Now to something else I've found. From what I know (or thought?) the C1 has an on-board RTC. Whenever I boot, the first entries in syslog always show Jan 1 01:00:XX, until nptd picks up and sets the system time.

When I run hwclock --show, it shows Thu 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 AM CET.

When I run hwclock --debug I get:
hwclock --debug
hwclock from util-linux 2.25.2
Using the /dev interface to the clock.
Last drift adjustment done at 1503272189 seconds after 1969
Last calibration done at 1503272189 seconds after 1969
Hardware clock is on UTC time
Assuming hardware clock is kept in UTC time.
Waiting for clock tick...
select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out...synchronization failed

I don't believe I have seen this issue with the official Ubuntu release or Armbian, but I could be wrong. Not a big issue (installed fake-hwclock), but thought it was worth to mention, in case something was wrong.
swexican

languages_spoken: english, swedish, spanish

Unread postby meveric » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:24 am

ok, I fixed the issue with the c1_init.sh update, was a typo in the .diff file. viewtopic.php?p=200034#p200034

I also checked on the hwclock issue, but couldn't reproduce it.

I connected the backup battery used hwclock -w to write the current time in the RTC clock and used hwclock -r to test if it worked.
Both worked fine.
After that I rebooted the system and checked syslog.. the first entry in the syslog already had a valid timestamp.

I removed the battery and rebooted the system again.. and the entries were starting at 1. Jan 1970.

I put the battery back on did hwclock -w and turned off the C1 completely removed the power from it for about 15 minutes.
Started the system and the time was correct in /var/log/syslog starting at the first entry.
meveric

Previous

Return to Other OS