Issues booting Android v1.2

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Issues booting Android v1.2

Unread postby crazyquark » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Hello,

I've written the android v1.2 image now twice and it has failed to boot both times.
I am using this SD card: http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-with-adapter/?capacity=16GB
The first time, I would just get a black screen after the Hardkernel logo.
The second time I got an Android recovery screen at which I selected 'Reboot now' - it rebooted but then it got stuck at the Hardkernel logo.
After unplugging and plugging back in, it would always get stuck at the Hardkernel logo.

I am writing the image a 3rd time - 3's a charm and all that.
How can I capture the u-boot log without a serial connection?

LE: 3rd time did not work - same as first time - there is no signal on HDMI.
The bootloader seems to be done as the blue LED is flashing, the Android kernel is loaded.
Seems there is a problem with the HDMI resolution. My TV does support 1080p. Should I adjust anything in boot.ini?
crazyquark

languages_spoken: english, french, romanian
ODROIDs: C1,C1+,C2,XU4

Re: Issues booting Android v1.2

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Hello,
I think you have not succeed to write the image to your MicroSD. The menu "Reboot now" won't come if Android recovery mode found installation package which is last 80% of the image.
I hope you have followed the instruction below.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... hing_tools

If you have written the image on Linux, please make sure if you add conv=fsync on dd command and executed few sync command.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby crazyquark » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi,

I did use those instructions, I flashed the image on Windows using Win32Disk Imager for Odroid v1.1 which is what I used for the Android v1.1 image which runs fine.
On my latest attempt I don't get the Recovery screen but once the bootloader is finished(the blue LED starts to blink) I get no signal on HDMI. It seems like the odroid booted but I see nothing on the TV.
Like I said, sounds like an HDMI/resolution issue - I will try to reduce the resolution from boot.ini. My other SD card(Lexar) is running Android v1.1 at 1080p.
crazyquark

Unread postby rvsuper8 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Im getting the same issue.
After several flashes and reflashes. Sometimes I just get the hardkernal on first boot. Sometimes I get the reboot now. At no time can I get it to boot correctly.
rvsuper8

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C-1

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:20 pm

@rvsuper8, not link Linux release, Android must go through installation. In normal process, firstly HK logo comes and after sometime Android logo will come with rotating green triangles. It is in the state of installing, once done it will reboot automatically. If you have not seen Android logo with rotating green triangles, Android is not installed. So please make sure if you had this, otherwise check MD5SUM and flash carefully with the instruction below.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... hing_tools
tobetter

Unread postby Duncan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:21 am

Same issue here on Monday night. Took a working Android card and flashed using v1.1 Win32Disk Imager. MD5SUM of the zip file was fine. Couldn't get through to full boot. Just hung doing nothing for 30mins. Tried again with another new image and got a semi boot up with umpteen error messages about E: something log something cache (or visa versa). Didn't photograph it :-(

Blamed the card so reflashed it with a new Android selfinstall v1.1 image and that went through self installation boot up all fine giving me a fully working Android. Card is a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 and as I say works fine for both Android v1.1 and Ubuntu. There is something about 1.2 it doesn't like.

Awaiting some more Sandisk cards to arrive to try one of those.

How long should v1.2 actually take to self install?

Duncan
Duncan

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby crazyquark » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:44 am

Same here. Checked and double checked the md5 of the image.
All is fine.
I will attempt to write it from Linux.
crazyquark

Unread postby crazyquark » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:03 am

OK, I tried writing the image with 'dd' from Linux.
It booted, started the Android logo with spinning triangles thing(probably resizing partitions) - something that I think Win32Disk Imager for Odroid v1.1 does when it writes the image to disk.
After the install process is done it just hangs with the Hardkernel logo and the blue led does NOT flash. It just stays on as if it is loading the bootlader.
I guess that's progress...

Unplugging and plugging it back only gets me the same hardkernel logo.
Guys, there is something wrong with the selfinstall image...
crazyquark

Unread postby heystranger » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 am

I can confirm the exact same problem described by crazyquark.

I have tried writing via windows and linux. I have also tried flashing both sd card and emmc. The HardKernal logo displays perfectly during hanging, so the display seems to be configured correctly.

Hope that helps! Thanks in advance to the hardworking team addressing all these issues.
heystranger

Unread postby heystranger » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:41 am

Forgot to mention that the new version of Ubuntu works perfectly, so I don't think it is a hardware problem with the board.
heystranger

Unread postby heystranger » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:01 am

Scrap that - got it to work.

a) use gparted to delete all the partitions on the disk
b) reinstall a partition table on the disk
c) reformat the disk to fat32
d) sudo dd if=selfinstall-odroidc-eng-s805_4.4.2_dev_master-195-v1.2.img of=/dev/sdd bs=1M && sync

It's possible that I just got lucky after multiple attempts - or that this actually solved the problem.

Give it a try crazyquark.
heystranger

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:07 am

@heystranger, thanks you were writing the similar instruction what I was trying just before. I think unmounting 4 partitions would be a option instead using gparted and format it. And I strongly recommand to add "conv=fsync" on "dd" command otherwise flashing would be flushed properly.
tobetter

Unread postby crazyquark » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Hello guys,

Amazingly enough, deleting the partitions with gparted worked! The device now booted Android.
Normally, I wipe my SD card with SD Formatter to leave no trace of the previous installation.
So yeah, it seems that there needs to be a valid partition table before 'dd'-ing the new image. And also Win32Disk Imager for Odroid v1.1 clearly does not work for this image.
Thank you all for your help!
crazyquark

Unread postby Duncan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:45 am

OK I now have new SD cards - Sandisk UHS-I Class 10. Write MD5 checked image at roughly 9MB/s using Transcend adapter.

Stick in Odroid. Blue heartbeat, lose HDMI signal, HDMI back on and errors.

Choose reboot, red LED only and Hardkernel splash screen.

I'm not a Linux user so the self installation doesn't appear to work straight off the shelf, unlike the 1.1 image.

I have a photo of the screen with all the error messages but can't see how to send it to you.

Thanks.
Duncan

Unread postby Duncan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:51 am

E-mailed it direct for the attention of tobetter
Duncan

Unread postby tobetter » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:03 am

@Duncan, could you refer the link?
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=9391#p73453
tobetter

Unread postby PeteUKinUSA » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:32 am

I had much the same problem under Windows. In the end I used the regular DIskImager instead of the super-special Odroid one and it worked fine after that.
PeteUKinUSA

Unread postby Duncan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:08 am

@tobetter
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=9391#p73453

Ha. That's exactly the same error message I am getting in the image in that thread. And again v1.1 writes fine. Surely it can't be a coincidence?
Duncan

Unread postby tobetter » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:30 am

@Duncan, actually I have no idea. :( Trying to have a chance to look into the code of DiskImager.
tobetter

Unread postby synportack24 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:07 am

Same problem as listed above. The MD5 is correct, I tried twice (both time with the windows utility) and reformatted the SD between each attempt. Also each I also re-unzipped the img thinking that might have been the case... hmm gonna try to reflash in linux via dd

Edit:
One thing I noticed which is odd is that in gparted it shows 4 partitions all with unknown File Sytems types.
http://magazine.odroid.com/
submit an article get cool stuff!
synportack24

languages_spoken: English, German, Korean
ODROIDs: C0, C1, C1+, C2, XU4

Unread postby crazyquark » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 pm

I had the same issues as you. It seems that on Windows, the VFAT partition(the data partition) does not get populated.
The only way I got it to work is by going in Linux, deleting partitions on the sd card with gparted, create one big partition formatted with FAT32 and then using 'dd' to write the image.
Seems that is the only way to get a valid data partition.

The difference between the Odroid special Win32 Disk Imager and the regular one(or dd) is that it also resizes the partitions after writing the disk image.
If the image is written with 'dd' or the regular Win32 Disk Imager the the resizing will happen at first boot.

I have no idea however why I need to first make a MBR partition table with gparted before dd'ing the image. Maybe the new image does not have valid boot data in the MBR and that gparted writes the default 'boot the first active partition code' in there ??

P.S.
If you don't have a Linux installation, you could grab a live CD/USB drive or make a virtual machine.
crazyquark

Unread postby aurels » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem with Android (working fine with Ubuntu).

If you use Windows, you can removing partitions with DISKPART :
http://brucesbraindump.blogspot.fr/2013 ... -from.html
And format in FAT32 after.

But I have the same problem after.
aurels

languages_spoken: english, french

Unread postby joerg » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:30 pm

As I first time flashed 1.2, Android was booting, but I was wondering that Wifi and Bluetooth not working and I posted (new kernel but old Android, haha). What a shame. But in fact I saw Android with rotating triangles. It only flashed kernel and old system remain on emmc. After I wiped emmc with gparted and made fat32 partition and flashed again self-installer, it worked for me. I am using for that dd, LinuxMint17 64bit, front panel cardreader connected via express pci usb3 adapter board. It has micro sdcard slot and there I put emmc with hardkernels adaper board. Normaly this is working for me.
joerg

languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby synportack24 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:12 pm

I tried running dd from kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu) and the result was one giant allocated partition with no partition table. that was from a fresh download with the correct MD5 and uncompressed with xz-utilities. the SD was formatted as one big FAT32 partition before I tried dd.
synportack24

Unread postby synportack24 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:28 pm

update: I used just stock win32DiskImager and was able to get everything to boot just fine. Also I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 16GB as my sd card which was flashed with a uSD to SD adapter.
synportack24

Unread postby tobetter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 pm

synportack24 wrote:update: I used just stock win32DiskImager and was able to get everything to boot just fine. Also I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 16GB as my sd card which was flashed with a uSD to SD adapter.

Have you done any particular work around for success?
tobetter

Unread postby tobetter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Hello,
If you guys still have a problem to boot with MicroSD flashed by win32DiskImager, could you try this experimental release out? I have replaced installation process little bit.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... perimental
tobetter

Unread postby fedux » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:19 am

tobetter wrote:Hello,
If you guys still have a problem to boot with MicroSD flashed by win32DiskImager, could you try this experimental release out? I have replaced installation process little bit.

Works for me! It worked at first try from Linux using dd. Version 1.2 did not work for me, neither using win32DiskImager nor dd from Linux.
fedux

languages_spoken: english, spanish

Unread postby synportack24 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:04 am

tobetter wrote:
synportack24 wrote:update: I used just stock win32DiskImager and was able to get everything to boot just fine. Also I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 16GB as my sd card which was flashed with a uSD to SD adapter.

Have you done any particular work around for success?

I just made sure the SD card was FAT32 Formated and used win32DiskImager, nothing special about it.
Just to make thing clear, when I say stock win32DiskImager I mean this one http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
synportack24

Unread postby synportack24 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 am

Side note: the MD5 hash link on the odroid.com/dokuwiki/ page for the new 1.2.1 build just links to the .xz file.
synportack24

Unread postby crazyquark » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:49 pm

tobetter wrote:Hello,

On duty grammar nazi here: The wiki page says: "Self-installatioin" :)
crazyquark

Unread postby odroid » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:20 pm

crazyquark wrote:On duty grammar nazi here: The wiki page says: "Self-installatioin" :)

Fixed. ;)
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby chrisP » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 pm

HI,

using version 1.2 I had the same issue reported.

To fix it, this is what I did:

- Used MiniTool Partition Wizard to remove every partition, then created a PRIMARY FAT32 partition to fill my 32 GB card.
- Used standard Win32DiskImager (v 0.9.5) to burn the img.

By the way the process is way quicker than using Win32DiskImager 1.1 (didn't mesured it, but seems like 1 minute versus 15 minutes)
chrisP

languages_spoken: english french
ODROIDs: Odroid c1

Unread postby jonvi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:23 pm

crazyquark wrote:I had the same issues as you. It seems that on Windows, the VFAT partition(the data partition) does not get populated.
The only way I got it to work is by going in Linux, deleting partitions on the sd card with gparted, create one big partition formatted with FAT32 and then using 'dd' to write the image.
Seems that is the only way to get a valid data partition.

The difference between the Odroid special Win32 Disk Imager and the regular one(or dd) is that it also resizes the partitions after writing the disk image.
If the image is written with 'dd' or the regular Win32 Disk Imager the the resizing will happen at first boot.

I have no idea however why I need to first make a MBR partition table with gparted before dd'ing the image. Maybe the new image does not have valid boot data in the MBR and that gparted writes the default 'boot the first active partition code' in there ??

P.S.
If you don't have a Linux installation, you could grab a live CD/USB drive or make a virtual machine.

Sorry, may I ask how did you "dd" to write the image ?
When I do this in terminal: $ sudo dd if=</my/odroid/image/path> of=</dev/path/of/card> bs=1M conv=fsync and press <ENTER> I get this message: "/dev/sdb Permission denied" . Don't have write acces to SD card drive. How come ?
I'm a Linux newbie so I'm not familiar with commands.
thanks
jonvi

ODROIDs: Odroid-C1

Unread postby tobetter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:10 pm

jonvi wrote:When I do this in terminal: $ sudo dd if=</my/odroid/image/path> of=</dev/path/of/card> bs=1M conv=fsync and press <ENTER> I get this message: "/dev/sdb Permission denied" . Don't have write acces to SD card drive. How come ?

Are you sure your MicroSD is attached at /dev/sdb? And have you attach the card with the SD adaptor? If you use SD adaptor for your MicroSD, write-protect switch might be closed while you insert the adaptor.
tobetter

Return to Android