NOOBS: Android C1 - Kodi Isengard - setup and mini guide.

wrxtasy
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

NOOBS: Android C1 - Kodi Isengard - setup and mini guide.

Unread post by wrxtasy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:10 am

The release of the Android v1.7 image for the C1 introduces 23.976/59.94Hz video output or as AMlogic likes to call it - Frame Rate Automation.
Basically you now get the fully suite of video output refresh rates - 23.976/24/25/29.97/30/50/59.94/60Hz to match the frames per second (fps) of video content.

As everyone knows 23.976fps video playback is always smoother when output to a 24p/1080p TV with some sort of Cinema Mode activated. All those extra video frames the TV adds results in buttery smooth movement and camera panning during video playback :D

Kodi also has Dynamic Refresh rate switching control to change your TV's refresh rate to the closest match of the fps of your video source. Playing 23.976fps video, Kodi will switch your TV to its 24p mode.
Its all Automatic, no more messing about with the boot.ini file trying to find smooth video playback. No more 3:2 pulldown judder ! :D

======================================================================================================

General C1 Android Tips first:
==================
Using the ODROID Utility set:
GPU Governor - Performance
CPU Frequency - 172800

Onscreen Keyboard ?
Android > Settings > Language & Input > Keyboard & Input Methods > Default > Hardware Physical Keyboard > Off

To install the Google Play Store open up the Android Browser and search for "codewalker gapps".
Download Universal 1-Click GApps Installer for ODROID - Android KitKit 4.4.x.
Then use UltraExplorer > Downloads folder > install > give root permission > reboot

Android Settings:
Device > Sound > Deselect all to prevent annoying TV audio popups when selecting anything with an Air Mouse.

===================================================
Enough of that, its all about Kodi Isengard and a quick setup for slick performance. :D

Kodi minimal settings....
System > Settings > Appearance > Bottom Left > Expert Settings
System > Settings > Appearance > Show RSS Feeds > deselect
System > Settings > Appearance > International > select country

System > Settings > Video > Playback > Adjust Display refresh rate > On Start / Stop
- Pause during refresh rate change > I use 2.0 but your TV may be quicker so reduce this value

System > Settings > Video > Playback > Sync Playback to Display >> this does not work in Android / Kodi

System > Settings > System > Video output > Vertical blank sync > Enabled during video playback (speeds up Kodi GUI operation)
System > Settings > System > Audio output > Keep audio device alive > off to prevent nuisance TV OSD popups

Next add Video content:

Video > File > Add Videos > Browse > Zeroconf browser > choose content....

Now when playing a Video hit enter/return on an attached keyboard or OK on a remote and navigate to the Speaker Symbol on the right hand side.
Increase the Volume at the Top to 0dB and deselect the Subtitles. Lastly save these settings by selecting - Set default for all videos.

Kodi Keyboard shortcuts are here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

Kodi Keymap/Remote editor:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

Current Known Issues with Kodi on the ODROID C1 (Android v1.7 image):
================================================
1080p HEVC(h265) video playback has issues with freezing and skipping due to the Android Media Codec API (Mediacodec - amc-265) currently not working properly with the C1 Kernel/Drivers. The eventual solution will be to get Amcodec to decode HEVC (am-h265), addressing the Hardware directly like am-h264 decoding does.

A messy workaround for that at the moment is to use the MX Player app from within Kodi by way of the External Player function. A guide for that is here:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 416#p95416

720p HEVC Kodi playback seems better during brief testing and may be more reliable.

Noggin has also reported -> AC3/DTS Audio passthrough issues in Kodi on Android (audio played at the wrong pitch, and with drop outs, and with video drop out)

Usefull Apps
========
XBMC Updater - to update to the latest Kodi nightly or stable version or you can just use the Google Play Store for the stable version.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/276 ... pdater.apk

Odroid utility:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/276 ... tility.apk

NOTE:
I will not be providing troubleshooting for streaming using Addons from the Banned Addons list contained in the Kodi Wiki. :!:
This thread is about Android and Kodi on the C1, not general Kodi help which can be found in the Kodi forum itself and the Kodi Wiki.

W. :D
Last edited by wrxtasy on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
LibreELEC Krypton C1(+) HERE
LibreELEC Krypton C2 HERE

noggin
languages_spoken: English, Swedish, French, German
ODROIDs: C1, U2

Re: NOOBS: Android C1 - Kodi Isengard - setup and mini guide

Unread post by noggin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm

As everyone knows 23.976fps video playback is always smoother when output to a 24p/1080p TV with some sort of Cinema Mode activated. All those extra video frames the TV adds results in buttery smooth movement and camera panning during video playback :D
On my Sony TV that's not what True Cinema mode does, and it's not what many of us want. Instead we want 23.976/24.000Hz content delivered at that frame rate over HDMI natively, so that it can be displayed without 3:2 pulldown repetition (which is used to get it to 59.94/60Hz).

Lots of us DON'T want nasty frame rate interpolation (which mangles the video with guesstimated inbetween frames and falls apart a lot during fast action) - we just want 24p displayed as 24p (or with 2:2 at 48Hz, 3:3 at 72Hz, 4:4 at 96Hz, 5:5 at 120Hz etc.) We want to avoid the asymmetric 3:2 judder which adds judder to linear motion, and using 24p directly gets rid of this and allows for smooth motion on action, albeit with 24Hz motion capture. You can't interpolate back what has been discarded accurately - so why bother. (Classic example - if you shoot a waggon wheel at 24Hz it can often appear to go backwards due to temporal aliasing. If you frame interpolate that 24Hz content to 72Hz it will go backwards more smoothly, but still be wrong. If you captured it at 72Hz it would go forwards...)

I have all the Natural Motion or similar frame rate interpolation disabled on my TV. The only time I occasionally enable it is when watching a 50Hz programme on catch up TV services that have downconverted this to 25p, and I find watching 50Hz shows at 25Hz a bit odd, so usually put up with the least worst option of 50Hz interpolated frames rather than 25Hz judder (particularly as the original show wasn't shot for 25Hz display so could have fast motion that you wouldn't chose if shooting 25Hz natively)

wrxtasy

Unread post by wrxtasy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Interesting, even if I don't quite understand a lot of it - I'm learning all the same. :D

On my 8 year only Sony TV I have an option called Cinema Drive.
When the TV is fed a 23.976/24Hz signal it changes into a 24p mode. Without it activated I do not get the 24p mode change.
I then get video displayed as 24p (or with 2:2 at 48Hz, 3:3 at 72Hz, 4:4 at 96Hz, 5:5 at 120Hz etc.) and everything is nice and buttery smooth. :D

I would have thought extra video frames would have to be added to smooth out the displayed video in this case if the TV is then using say a 120Hz refresh rate in this 24p Mode (I not talking about 3:2 pulldown) ?

noggin
languages_spoken: English, Swedish, French, German
ODROIDs: C1, U2

Unread post by noggin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:53 am

wrxtasy wrote:Interesting, even if I don't quite understand a lot of it - I'm learning all the same. :D

On my 8 year only Sony TV I have an option called Cinema Drive.
On ourc.2007 model 1080p HDTV, now retired to a secondary location, we had "24p True Cinema" on our Sony Bravia set. This displayed 1080/24p at a multiple of 24Hz, but with no frame rate interpolation. (The TV was a regular 50/60Hz model with no 100/12-Hz processing). This gave us smooth motion. It was the main reason we ditched our first c.2006 HDTV, as we couldn't watch 1080p Blu-rays at 1080/60p with 3:2. Growing up in Europe with no 3:2 to watch, and with all 24p content displayed 2:2 at 50Hz with 4% speed-up, we found 3:2 totally unwatchable. So replaced our TV with a 24p native model ASAP. We would get 10 minutes into a movie and have to stop watching it...
When the TV is fed a 23.976/24Hz signal it changes into a 24p mode. Without it activated I do not get the 24p mode change.
I then get video displayed as 24p (or with 2:2 at 48Hz, 3:3 at 72Hz, 4:4 at 96Hz, 5:5 at 120Hz etc.) and everything is nice and buttery smooth. :D

I would have thought extra video frames would have to be added to smooth out the displayed video in this case if the TV is then using say a 120Hz refresh rate in this 24p Mode (I not talking about 3:2 pulldown) ?
On Sony TVs - if you have Motion Flow enabled you will get in-between frames interpolated. However I find this really nasty, so disable it. However I feed my TV 1080/24p content in 24p, and it displays this cleanly, with no 3:2 or interpolated frames, so it must be using some form of 2:2, 3:3, 4:4, 5:5 etc. repetition I guess.

albsat
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by albsat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:01 am

Can you do a similar guide also for Ubuntu? Thanks

schnip
ODROIDs: U3

Unread post by schnip » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks for the tutorial!

I have 2 questions.

1. I have a 1080p TV. Should I set the resolution in odroid utility to 1080i or 1080p? Or even sth else?

2. How can I check on a 24fps movie that my TV is correctly getting fed a 24hertz signal? (Sony Bravia KDL 805)

wrxtasy

Unread post by wrxtasy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:31 am

@ albsat > Kodi on Ubuntu setup is exactly the same.
If you want to boot straight into Kodi Isengard, logout of Ubuntu and then select from the menu on the Top right of the screen "Kodi"
Login with the box in the middle - password odroid
Next time you boot the C1 with Ubuntu you will be taken directly into Kodi Isengard.

@ schnip > leave your resolution on 1080p aka 60Hz in the Odroid Utility. I set mine to 50Hz as I watch 25/50fps Broadcast TV in Kodi and this prevents Kodi switching every time from 60Hz to 50Hz when I watch TV.

This setting switches your TV when you watch movies as they are usually played at 23.976fps. You Sony TV will display 24p or 24Hz (if its capable) with a OSD Popup when it Autoswitches if you have followed this Kodi setting:

System > Settings > Video > Playback > Adjust Display refresh rate > On Start / Stop
- Pause during refresh rate change > I use 2.0 seconds but your TV may be quicker so reduce this value

schnip
ODROIDs: U3

Unread post by schnip » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:17 am

Ok I have set my TV to automatically switch to 24p Mode when the input signal allows it. It doesn't work though..

Then I tried setting 1080p@24p in the Odroid Utility and it worked... Strange.. I doubt that kodi sets the 24 hertz output signal automatically...

albsat
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by albsat » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Is there a development on Android version to support HEVC natively? I see that there is such development in Openelec version. Cheers

Return to “Android”