Sim card 3g module

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Sim card 3g module

Unread postby NoFear202 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:21 am

Hi, i am looking to use an odroid running cyanogenmod 12.1 Lollipop, i want to be able use this to send and recieve sms messages, phone calls and a 3g data connection, i know i could use bluetooth to share a 3g connection via a separate device, but i cant share sms or calls. i found a gsm module on ebay, would it be possible to interface with this modem? it uses a ttl comms protocal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIM800L-GPRS-GSM-Module-SIM-Board-QUAD-BAND-L-shape-Antenna-for-MCU-Arduino-/281743051017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419931c909
NoFear202

languages_spoken: english

Re: Sim card 3g module

Unread postby tobetter » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 am

NoFear202 wrote:Hi, i am looking to use an odroid running cyanogenmod 12.1 Lollipop, i want to be able use this to send and recieve sms messages, phone calls and a 3g data connection, i know i could use bluetooth to share a 3g connection via a separate device, but i cant share sms or calls. i found a gsm module on ebay, would it be possible to interface with this modem? it uses a ttl comms protocal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIM800L-GPRS-GSM-Module-SIM-Board-QUAD-BAND-L-shape-Antenna-for-MCU-Arduino-/281743051017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419931c909

CM 12.1 is not available yet, if I am not wrong. :( The module would be possible to work with ODROID-C1, if it guarantee the signal voltage 3.3V to interfaced with C1 through GPIO port. Otherwise, you should add level shifter within the boards.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby NoFear202 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:35 am

tobetter wrote:CM 12.1 is not available yet, if I am not wrong. :( The module would be possible to work with ODROID-C1, if it guarantee the signal voltage 3.3V to interfaced with C1 through GPIO port. Otherwise, you should add level shifter within the boards.

hiya, thanks for the reply, CM 12.1 is available for dev as a beta, it is available for the xu3/4. could i add a low-drop-out 3.3v linear regulator or would it have to be a shift register :?:
NoFear202

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 am

NoFear202 wrote:
tobetter wrote:CM 12.1 is not available yet, if I am not wrong. :( The module would be possible to work with ODROID-C1, if it guarantee the signal voltage 3.3V to interfaced with C1 through GPIO port. Otherwise, you should add level shifter within the boards.

hiya, thanks for the reply, CM 12.1 is available for dev as a beta, it is available for the xu3/4. could i add a low-drop-out 3.3v linear regulator or would it have to be a shift register :?:

I've looked the module again and found there are two voltage input on pin header, +5V/4V and VDD. So I am guessing the TTL level could be decided with the voltage on VDD among 3.3V or 5.0V while +5V is drawing to another pin for module. If so, I think no need to add more hardware like level shifter.
tobetter

Unread postby NoFear202 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 am

tobetter wrote:
NoFear202 wrote:

I've looked the module again and found there are two voltage input on pin header, +5V/4V and VDD. So I am guessing the TTL level could be decided with the voltage on VDD among 3.3V or 5.0V while +5V is drawing to another pin for module. If so, I think no need to add more hardware like level shifter.

okay, so, if i understand you correctly, i would "short" VDD and the +5V/4V lines together to a +5V pin on the odroid and use the GPIO for the Sim-TX, Sim-RX and RST?
NoFear202

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:48 am

NoFear202 wrote:
tobetter wrote:
NoFear202 wrote:

okay, so, if i understand you correctly, i would "short" VDD and the +5V/4V lines together to a +5V pin on the odroid and use the GPIO for the Sim-TX, Sim-RX and RST?

I meant connect like this, but no clue if Sim-TX/RX/RST will be 3.3V level if VDD is connected with +3.3V.
+5V --> +5V/+4V
+3.3V --> VDD
tobetter

Unread postby NoFear202 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:53 am

ah, i see, my mistake, i dont work with ttl very often, im used to I2C. thanks for the clarification. the TX and RX line voltages would be easy to figure out with an oscilloscope or DMM.
NoFear202

Unread postby Khleb » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 pm

HI GUYS, I AM NEW TO OROID, BUT I HAVE JUST GOTTEN THE ODROID U3 BOARD AND I WAS PLANNING ON MAKING A MINI-TABLET WITH IT. I WAS WONDERING IF IT SUPPORTS MICRO-SIM SLOT USING A SIMCARD ADAPTER OR ANY OTHER EXTERNAL MODULE, BECAUSE I AM YET TO SEE ANY TUTORIAL ON IT. PLEASE CAN ANYONE ELABORATE MORE ON HOW THIS CAN BE DONE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Khleb

ODROIDs: Odroid U3

Return to Android