SFTP speed limit on C1 ?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

SFTP speed limit on C1 ?

Unread postby theghost » Tue May 30, 2017 4:22 am

Hi

Just to know about the C1, when I tried to transfer some files in SFTP protocol, i can't reach over 10.5MB/s. I have the 1Gb at home so the problem is not speed limit but maybe the hardware. The CPU is only at 60 / 70%.

Is it possible to have a better speed of transfer in edtiting some parameters, key used 2048bits ? AES encryption ? Maybe we can't, I don't know, I have some lack about performance on this subject.

Thank you in advance,

Regards

BTW: Speedtest give me 600Mb/s (download) , 200Mb/s (upload)
theghost

languages_spoken: english , french
ODROIDs: C1

Re: SFTP speed limit on C1 ?

Unread postby odroid » Tue May 30, 2017 9:23 am

How is the normal FTP transfer speed?
Uploading should be around 400Mpbs and downloading should be around 800Mbps.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed May 31, 2017 2:31 am

SFTP uses ssh for encryption. You can lower the complexity of the cyphers used to gain performance. On XU4 I got ~40MB/s. Search for the General purpose NAS odroid magazine article in february's issue for a recepie.
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby theghost » Wed May 31, 2017 7:24 am

Hi @mad_ady

I tried to follow this tuto which is yours: viewtopic.php?t=25424

with these lines:
Code: Select all
Fastest transfers over sshfs/scp/sftp
Since SSH is a very flexible protocol and supports tunnelling and file transfer it would be wise to use it at full speed. If you attempt a scp transfer on an XU4 with the sshd process tied to the little cores you will get about 15MB/s top speed. If you tie the sshd process to the big cores you get 40MB/s. If you're feeling adventurous and don't mind sacrificing some security, you can squeeze 50MB/s by lowering the encryption algorithm used. I did that by starting a different sshd instance (on port 2222) with different settings:

CODE: SELECT ALL
$ sudo wget -O /etc/systemd/system/ssh-big.service https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mad-ady/odroid-xu4-optimizations/master/ssh-big.service
$ sudo wget -O /etc/ssh/sshd_config_big https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mad-ady/odroid-xu4-optimizations/master/sshd_config_big
$ sudo systemctl enable ssh-big
$ sudo systemctl start ssh-big

But using under Windows, filezilla, I still have only 10 or 11MB/s when I want upload on the odroid...

Have I forget something ? In filezilla, I just configured the port to the new sshd instance

Thank you for your help

Regards

@odroid
NB: My real speed with odroid is in attachment.
Otherwise on a powerful computer, I get 735Mb/s (download) and 250mb/s(upload)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (6.79 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
theghost

Unread postby odroid » Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 am

If your physical network connection is fine, there seems to be a limitation of computing power on C1 CPU.
I hope mad_ady can give you some hints to improve the throughput.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed May 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Unfortunately I can't test because my C1 is connected to a 100Mbps switch and I can't get over 11MB/s. You might want to check your governor (set it to performance) and also look into overclocking the CPU on the C1 (you can increase the frequency slightly). But yes, encryption is the limiting factor.
mad_ady

Unread postby odroid » Wed May 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Right. 1.7 or 1.8Ghz of overclocking might increase the encryption performance around 10~15%.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... erclocking
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby theghost » Wed May 31, 2017 5:43 pm

@odroid, nice try but since the begin I OC the CPU a 1.75Ghz thanks to a heatsink, so it's not the answer.
theghost

Unread postby theghost » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:57 am

I tried with compression, without compression, I tried to change the encryption algorythm , arcfour, bluefish, aes256, aes-128 with transfer on HDD external or sd card and everytime I get between 11 and 13mb/s so maybe I can't have more. The CPU is > 50% and < 80%. I don't know what to do in more
theghost

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:29 am

I tried it on my ODROID GameStation Turbo image for the C1 @1728 MHz or 1824 MHz I get an avg of about 15.5 MB/sec copying a 700 MB file from the C1 to an XU4's /dev/null over scp.
After that I copied a 1GB file from the XU4 to the C1 and got an avg of 19.8MB/sec
both was running from a SD card so that "might" be a slowing factor, but seeing that the C1 was often hitting 100% CPU load, I say that are pretty accurate values.

Both times the speed started actually higher but was slowing down a little over time:
C1 -> XU4 started at 17.5 MB/sec and slowed to 15.4 MB/sec
XU4 -> C1 started at 21.5 MB/sec and slowed to 19.6 MB/sec

no changes were made on encryption algorithm or whatever.
Make sure your I/O device is not a limiting factor.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 am

Also, make sure the other device (that you are copying to) is not limited by network (e.g. connected to a 100Mbps switch) or by CPU. 11MB/s sounds awfly close to 100Mbps
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:53 am

@mad_ady, I use to transfer my file on the C1, my computer (i5 3.5Ghz with SSD and 8Go of RAM and a Gigabyte ethernet card ) so the only factor can be the C1.

Maybe it's the card SD on the odroid.

@meveric, thank you for your feedback, SCP and SFTP should have the same speed ? 15.4 until 19.6 is better than me :)

Nb: As you can see, netdata says me that the odroid is not at 100% of it capabilities. My SD Card is a class 10 and can reach until 15/30mo/s; Maybe should I to try with an other sd card to be sure. But i Can't try that for the moment
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (53.09 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
theghost

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:41 am

82.9% RAM used AND 59.2% SWAP? This might also be an issue. In worst case the system is busy swapping most of the time.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Also, use htop to monitor cpu usage, sinc scp/sftp will hog one core and it will be obvious if you are running into cpu limits. To test writing to the c1, try copying the files over /dev/null (not sure if possible with winscp)
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:41 am

Ah euh OK I never less than 80% of RAM used :/. Ah also the swap IS NOT a really swap. I use ZRAM to simulate swap because the RAM is just zipped. I can win 200mo of ram like that

And this is some pictures about htop. I don't know how to read that exactly but any core doesn't seems to be at 100%

Capture 1 = One upload only. Computer => C1

Capture 2 = Two upload in parallel. Computer => C1

Edit: I tried to kill my nodejs servers, kodi, jdownloader to be at 60% of RAM used. And 10% of SWAP used and exactly the same result 10.8Mb/s so the RAM is not the problem I think ;)
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (19.68 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (17.25 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
theghost

Unread postby theghost » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:59 am

I tried with sftp command line with the algorythm : chacha20
And not using Filezilla. I reach until 13.0Mb/s :)
And 100% cpu ! so maybe we can't have more.
Attachments
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (24.46 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:49 am

Wait a minute. You're writing to a ntfs disk. This also causes a bottleneck. Try writing to ext3/4 and also try mounting the ntfs drive with the big_writes option.
mad_ady

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:24 am

"winning" RAM is relatively.
SWAP is swap it can not directly be used, which means, what ever is in the swap needs to be uncompressed to be used.
But when your RAM is mostly full this also mean first there has to be another portion of the RAM being put into the swap before whatever is in the swap can be extracted to be used.
This is an endless loop on compressing and uncompressing..

The first picture shows nicely that your system is very busy with itself as nearly all your CPUs are 60% or higher in use, while sftp is normally mostly a single core performance task.
But also as @mad_ady said you have different bottlenecks here.
Slow NTFS transfer you can see that the NTFS process is using a lot of CPU, swapping, file transfer, and so on.

The first picture shows nicely that something is wrong with your system (in matter of system load) you see some processes in sleep ("S") state but although they are SLEEPING and waiting for input or whatever, they still use up a lot of CPU usage. Why would a "sleeping" process need CPU?

So whatever you do you really stress the ODROID C1.
The C1 (although faster than an RPi 2) is still a low spec device with a slow CPU and less than 1GB RAM to work with.

If your workflow requires more CPU power and more RAM, you should consider using one of the other ODROIDs. The C1 is the only ODROID that uses only 1GB RAM, and that can be a big issue.
Also other ODROIDs are 2-6 times faster than the C1.
For example using sftp between two XU4 you can easily transfer 30,40,50 or more MB depending on the storage you're using. Using a protocol like samba you might even exceed 80MB/sec.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby theghost » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:59 am

Thank you for your answer.

I will edit my answer tomorrow. Just one thing, when I do nothing, the cpu is not use 4% as you can see on the capture. But I will check the problem of ntfs and also why
When I use Sftp, I get a process named notty which use a lot of cpu... Ah by the way, I removed zram, so now, I dont have anymore the swap partition.
But to be true with you, I see any difference, maybe it's more bad than before when I had the swap partition ^^.
I know the C1 is not very powerful but the cpu at 1.75Ghz can reach at 20mb/s I think :).
Attachments
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (21.74 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:59 pm

The notty process is the backend which handles scp. It's normal.
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:02 am

Oh ok so notty and Sftp process are normal. Every file is matching with one process on one core. But ntfs process which consumes a lot of cpu, is not normal, if I understood what you mean
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:14 am

NTFS, especially when writing, consumes a lot of cpu and usually has poor performance. Try to find the top writing speed with:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/ntfs/dir/zero bs=1M count=2000 conv=fsync
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:06 am

this is the result of your command:

The first attachment is just a recording of few seconds and the other it's 13 seconds in more. That's decrease in the time until to be stabilized at ~15/17MB/s

NB: I tape:
dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sda2 bs=1M count=2000 conv=fsync
, is it good for parameter
of

How format other than NTFS should I use to have better perf ? and maybe to be compatible with Windows if I plug the HDD External USB at my Windows computer ?

Thank you
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (3.03 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.86 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:09 pm

Oh, no! What have you done? You've written back to the raw disk! Your test didn't use ntfs, but wrote back to the disk. If data didn't change much you're probably ok, but you need to run a scandisk in windows asap.

My command wrote data as a file on the ntfs partition, thus testing ntfs write speed. You need to ajust the actual paths though.
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:58 pm

What do you mean, I executed the command on the /dev/sda2 which is a ntfs partition drive. (the external drive)

Have I corrupted data on my 4Tera disk ? That could be a problem for me indeed.

SO for your command, I don't understand an example of path for "of".
Edit: Ah I need to plug an other usb key in ntfs and make:
dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdbUsbKey
?

Sorry if I'm dumb today with your test command ;)

Edit: I executed "repair the disk" under Windows, even if everything seems to work. It says: "The disk need to be repair" so I say YES. Now it's says: the dik is repaired. That's seems to be good. I hope.
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 pm

What you did before was to read and write directly to the disk as a block device. This doesn't involve the ntfs driver in any way and would have the same results no matter the filesystem.
The high risk is if you do this read/write with the disk mounted there is a chance that the filesystem changes a block on disk just as you write it back so you risk inconsistencies.

Depending on what you want to test (read/write) you can do the following - I'm assuming that your usb disk is mounted in /media/ntfs:
* test write speed:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/ntfs/zero bs=1M count=2000 conv=fsync

* test read speed
dd if=/media/ntfs/zero of=/dev/null bs=1M count=2000 conv=fsync

In both commands of/if reference a file on disk, not a block device (/dev/sdb2)! And /dev/zero, /dev/null are special devices whicch can generate/consume data at a very fast rate
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Ah ok thank you for your explainations. I understand now.

So I reach until 13.5MB/s

I try with ext4 and indeed I can reach in SFTP until 19/20MB/s if I transfer 2 or 3 files in the same time otherwise it's only 7MB/s one file because each file use 1 core.
But I remember why I have a NTFS partition. I made some backup thanks to goodSync which is a software on Windows. So, the ext4 could not be recognized if I decide to use it.

Conclusion, I can't go more quickly if I decide to stay on NTFS drive.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.41 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:07 pm

Try mounting ntfs with the big_writes option. It should improve performance
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Nice I won 5MB/s with big_writes. In fact, ntfs-3g is using only 54% of CPU instead of 79% with 5MB/s in less.

Ah, I also added async option ? Is it a good idea ? And noatime parameter is a good idea or not ? I didn't add this parameter yet.

Thank you in advance @mad_ady

Edit: I use WinsSCP which seems to be more powerful than filezilla because I won also 4.5MB/s in more. I don't know whybut I can reach until 20.5MB/s with WinSCP, and fillezilla only 16MB/s. For two files in the same time.

For 3 files with WinSCP I can reach until 25MB/s and 100% of CPU. That seems to be better now :).
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:01 pm

You can try adding async and noatime, but I'm not sure if they mean anything for ntfs. Shouldn't hurt, though.
Have you tested with regular ssh (aes), or did you also try with my version of weaker cyphers?

Anyway, glad to hear it's faster now.
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:09 pm

OK I will add it ( the noatime parameter ). For the noatime, I have to check if GoodSync doesn't use the time to say if a file is new or not.

Otherwise, no I kept AES I guess. I removed the line "Ciphers" in the ssh config file. I would to keep some security during my transfers :).

But your article is very nice and everything I learned in reading ~20 different tutorials. I can find again the most of them in your article

Now, I have to find a good client for sftp for linux. Maybe WinSCP emulated with Wine or an other for Linux ( excluding Fillezilla )
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Regarding security, the weaker cyphers should be fine in a LAN environment.
Regarding a linux client - most GUI file managers should support scp/sftp. I personally use sshfs to mount the target in a directory over ssh and use whatever GUI client to do a "local" transfer.
mad_ady

Unread postby theghost » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Indeed; it's not a bad idea :)

In my case, between a good and weak Ciphers, the speed difference during the transfers are very low ( almost equal ).

Maybe with a config more stronger like UX4, you see a real difference but in my case, it's not the case ;)
theghost

Unread postby dchang0 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:01 am

Are you using SFTP because you want to?
There are other means of copying files across a network that may be faster such as:
rsync
NFS mount with cp command
netcat or tar | netcat

tar | netcat is probably going to be the fastest, but NFS can be pretty fast if tuned to maximum performance.

BTW, you can test the maximum real-world network throughput from one system to another using iperf or iperf3. That'll give you an upper limit to expect for all the tuning you do on SFTP
dchang0

ODROIDs: C1+, XU4Q

Unread postby theghost » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 am

Hi

I need a network protocol which is securised and with a simple GUI like WinSCP under Windows for example. I transfer my movies, TV show ect.

I tried to look into your choices,but rsync is just to synchronise in local between two storage isn't it ?

NFS, NETCAT no GUI available ?
theghost

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Sshfs can be used to mount ssh shares under windows. It can integrate into explorer shell.
mad_ady

Return to Ubuntu