18.04 Minimal with hardware acceleration

meglome
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

18.04 Minimal with hardware acceleration

Post by meglome »

Does the minimal 18.04 image have the mali graphics drivers installed so I can get hardware acceleration in Chromium etc?

If not how can they be installed? I need a very lean image and I don't want to have to uninstall packages from the full image.

Thanks

rooted

Re: 18.04 Minimal with hardware acceleration

Post by rooted »

No it doesn't have it installed on minimal as that is a desktop package, after you install a DE I believe Mali would be installed as a dependence.

meglome

Post by meglome »

rooted wrote:No it doesn't have it installed on minimal as that is a desktop package, after you install a DE I believe Mali would be installed as a dependence.
Thanks for that. We'll only install X and chromium, and nothing else. So there will be no mate etc. Will the mali drivers still get installed?

I ask as when we did this with the 16.04 image the drivers were not installed.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

rooted wrote:No it doesn't have it installed on minimal as that is a desktop package, after you install a DE I believe Mali would be installed as a dependence.
Mali is not a dependency of the desktop
The OS is not aware of the Mali GPU, everything needs to be setup manually, unless someone provided a script that does the work for you.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rooted

Post by rooted »

meveric wrote:
Mali is not a dependency of the desktop
The OS is not aware of the Mali GPU, everything needs to be setup manually, unless someone provided a script that does the work for you.
Thanks for the correction.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

rooted wrote:Thanks for the correction.
There's currently a lot of discussion going on about Mali MESA support, hopefully in the future we might be able to simply install the latest version of Ubuntu with the latest version of MESA and the GPU and Desktop works like that :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rooted

Post by rooted »

meveric wrote:
rooted wrote:Thanks for the correction.
There's currently a lot of discussion going on about Mali MESA support, hopefully in the future we might be able to simply install the latest version of Ubuntu with the latest version of MESA and the GPU and Desktop works like that :)
When it comes to desktop on ARM I'm definitely not up to speed, I use my devices headless or with Android usually.

The only desktop device I have is on the N1.

rzr
ODROIDs: u1

Post by rzr »

Any updates on GPU support ? I am considering to evaluate this board for an opengl game

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Note that c0/c1 is EOL.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

rzr wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:12 am
Any updates on GPU support ? I am considering to evaluate this board for an opengl game
C1 Linux OpenGL-ES2 GPU driver has been available since 2015.

Return to “Ubuntu”