odroid c1 hangs/unresponsive/struck after few minutes of use

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

odroid c1 hangs/unresponsive/struck after few minutes of use

Unread postby sarathssca » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Hello,

I am using odroid C1 loaded with ubuntu 18. and has below connections:
1. connected it to lcd TV with hdmi cable,
2. wireless keyboard and mouse (via usb)
3. usb wifi module.

Connected internet with the usb wifi module and played youtube videos for few minutes and then the system is becoming unresponsive. There is no mouse pointer and on right/left click or from keyboard, there is no response. After this i need to power off and on to recover it and freshly start.
Every time this problem is coming which only recovers by switching off/on the power supply .

Could you please help in resolving the problem.

thanks and regards
S Sarath
sarathssca

languages_spoken: english

Re: odroid c1 hangs/unresponsive/struck after few minutes of

Unread postby rooted » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 pm

How are you powering the C1?
rooted

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 pm

How are you playing videos? In the browser? That doesn't have hardware acceleration and can cause your system to overheat.
Look for c2play by crashoverride (there's a c1 fork/branch as well) and for odroid-c2-video-helper chrome addon. The addon causes video from the page to be sent to c2play for playback where it is hardware decoded.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby sarathssca » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for the inputs :)
After enabling h/w acceleration in chromium browser now my odroid c1 is running well. Tested yesterday by running youtube videos (full screen) for about 1 and half hours and its was stable .

But when played videos on vnc player only audio was coming and no video was output on the TV connected via HDMI cable. Any inputs for VNC player issue. Do we need to install any codecs in VNC?

thanks and regards
S Sarath
sarathssca

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Do you mean VLC? VLC is not supported on any Odroid boards - it's mostly targeted at intel platform. If you want hardware decoding look for c2play
mad_ady

Unread postby sarathssca » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:48 pm

mad_ady wrote:Do you mean VLC? VLC is not supported on any Odroid boards - it's mostly targeted at intel platform. If you want hardware decoding look for c2play

ya typo error, i meant VLC player only. But VLC player was preinstall in the ubuntu image that i have downloaded, which was for odroid C1 only. Just directly played the video files and no videos were coming. Do we need to use any other video player on odroid C1?

thanks and regards
S Sarath
sarathssca

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:06 pm

It's preinstalled because it comes bundled with Mate. Only kodi can play with hardware decoding. Crashoverride reversed engineered the amlogic libraries and produced an accelerated player for c2. Somebody (don't remember who) forked it and adapted it for c1. You can compile and use it on your c1. But it's a command line tool and only plays fullscreen video (platform limitation).
mad_ady

Unread postby sarathssca » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks for the inputs.
Finally i am able to ply the videos using the Kodi.
I have tried to change the video output settings of VLC player to "x11".. though i got some video but all the colors were gone and only slow motion video was coming. Then i tried Kodi and then able to play the videos well...:)..
I was playing movies from usb drive and it was playing well. But when i do few backward forward seeks in the movie, usb drive is getting disconnected.. but if i am not doing much seeks and just play from start to end its stable..
sarathssca

Return to Ubuntu